PDA

View Full Version : Design your own reticle thread...

a0cake
11-14-12, 19:21
In this thread, design a reticle and post the picture. If you borrow from already existing designs, be sure to give credit to the company. Also, it would be helpful to explain in which sort of optic you envision the reticle being used, ie., in a low power variable or a long-range, high magnification optic. Additionally, it might be a good idea to explain what other features you'd like to see in an optic utilizing your reticle, so that we can get a clearer picture of what you're envisioning.

For whatever reason, optics manufacturers consistently fail to produce rifle-scopes with the most logical features. Things are getting better, but I'm still seeing large companies make really bad choices. Maybe if we put some good ideas down here, they will take a look.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my design for a 1-6/8/10X variable optic (or even for a long-range optic, really). It's an adaptation of an already existing Bushnell reticle with some changes done by me. It's a Mil based reticle with wind-holds. I'd like to see all red portions, including the center dot, horse-shoe, and bottom leveling-line, placed in the rear focal plane so that they remain highly visible and bold at 1X magnification. These would also be the only illuminated portions of the reticle. The rest of the reticle would be paced in the first focal plane, and would practically disappear on 1X, leaving a clear and uncluttered sight-picture for rapid target acquisition. As magnification increases, the reticle would become visible and provide all the advantages of a FFP system.

Additionally, I'd like to see the optic have a 34 or 35 millimeter main tube. It should also have 0.1 Mil adjustments for windage and elevation as well as locking turrets. They should not have to be pulled up or down to release, but should have buttons that can be depressed and turned on the turret. Illumination should be daylight visible and turn off between each click of the illumination knob, which should be placed on the left side of the eye-piece at a 45 degree angle when the scope is leveled. This should be doable since only the rear focal plane portion of the reticle is illuminated. It should also have a side-parallax adjustment, even though it's a <10X optic.

http://i.imgur.com/vFPjK.png

militarymoron
11-14-12, 20:40
i have a question - do reticles have to be centered in the scope? for a long range reticle, why not make the center of the crosshairs about 1/3 from the top of the scope, vs. in the center. then, it seems like you'd have more space for your holdover marks below it, and maybe make more use of the mechanical elevation travel in the scope.
am i making sense?

Failure2Stop
11-14-12, 20:46
I'll throw some stuff in here, just a few notes I have picked up during my time talking to optics designers/engineers/geeks:

True .1 MRAD adjustments are hard to fit into the footprint that most users want in a low powered variable at a reasonable price-point. I can't sufficiently answer the "why" of how some do and others do not, or how certain IP/patents affect it.

Daytime bright illumination suffers the same problems. The more optics I am exposed to for decent amounts of time the less emphasis I place on brightness and the more I value a bold reticle that does not require illumination for daytime use throughout the magnification range.

1-8x is a lot harder to pull off than the market appreciates. Despite the huge demand and willingness to pay through the nose for them, there is only one viable option on the market, even though they were unveiled years ago.

Balancing reticle utility and the ability/desire to spin turrets needs to be carefully weighed against realistic use. How far and with what degree of precision does the user need to shoot? How much weight is acceptable?
What kind of waterproofing is needed? (one of the biggest hurdles and greatest expense is waterproofing/submersion depth capability).

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

FlyingHunter
11-14-12, 21:04
a0cake - cool design concept.

I'd love to see someone have a red dot that has a larger MOA at 1x power, say 6-8 MOA for close in and fast shooting and as the magnification is brought up the MOA goes down to 1-2MOA or perhaps even goes away at the highest setting 6,8,10 x power for the longer range precision shot.

a0cake
11-14-12, 22:09
i have a question - do reticles have to be centered in the scope? for a long range reticle, why not make the center of the crosshairs about 1/3 from the top of the scope, vs. in the center. then, it seems like you'd have more space for your holdover marks below it, and maybe make more use of the mechanical elevation travel in the scope.
am i making sense?

Todd Hodnett, for example, does actually sometimes advocate and teach zeroing at the top Mil-Dot in the reticle, thereby creating what he calls a "Poor Man's Horus."

I see no reason why you couldn't design a reticle that's intended to be zeroed near the top of the optic's FOV. However, I have tried the Poor Man's Horus, which would be functionally very similar, and I really really don't like it.

lethal dose
11-14-12, 22:15
My reticle -> .
:cool:

a0cake
11-14-12, 22:19
I'll throw some stuff in here, just a few notes I have picked up during my time talking to optics designers/engineers/geeks:

True .1 MRAD adjustments are hard to fit into the footprint that most users want in a low powered variable at a reasonable price-point. I can't sufficiently answer the "why" of how some do and others do not, or how certain IP/patents affect it.

Daytime bright illumination suffers the same problems. The more optics I am exposed to for decent amounts of time the less emphasis I place on brightness and the more I value a bold reticle that does not require illumination for daytime use throughout the magnification range.

1-8x is a lot harder to pull off than the market appreciates. Despite the huge demand and willingness to pay through the nose for them, there is only one viable option on the market, even though they were unveiled years ago.

Balancing reticle utility and the ability/desire to spin turrets needs to be carefully weighed against realistic use. How far and with what degree of precision does the user need to shoot? How much weight is acceptable?
What kind of waterproofing is needed? (one of the biggest hurdles and greatest expense is waterproofing/submersion depth capability).

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Yeah, a lot of that is very understandable.

I often find myself at odds with most people when it comes to optics. I personally wouldn't mind strapping on a massive, heavy, monster of an optic if it met the specs I outlined. Optics are the last place I'll compromise functionality for the sake of weight.

So I guess it's not surprising that the industry isn't putting out what I want to see, given how difficult it is and how such an optic would get skewered for being too heavy.

PS. I fully agree on reticle boldness being important so that it doesn't rely on illumination to work. The daylight bright illumination is just an added bonus for a perfect world.

mkmckinley
11-14-12, 22:27
am i making sense?

I beleive one of the HORUS reticles does what you describe. There's also no reason you can't zero on the top mil dot or equivalent on a traditional scope.

militarymoron
11-14-12, 22:34
However, I have tried the Poor Man's Horus, which would be functionally very similar, and I really really don't like it.

i can certainly see why using a standard mil-dot reticle and the top mil dot to zero would have its drawbacks. using the mil-dot reticle as an example, i'd get rid of the top post and move the horizontal line up 3 dots. i was just wondering what the potential cons are of the concept, using a properly designed reticle.

steyrman13
11-14-12, 22:37
I beleive one of the HORUS reticles does what you describe. There's also no reason you can't zero on the top mil dot or equivalent on a traditional scope.

H37 reticle

Failure2Stop
11-14-12, 23:41
A huge factor in reticle design is the application of the optic, especially at what magnification the user will most likely be on when employing the optic. With marked 10 mils of drop below the center crosshair (with a 100 meter zero), you can account for drop out past 800 meters if shooting heavyweight bullets out of a 16" 5.56 gun. However, it will be a pain in the ass to consistently hold for wind unless you have some kind of reference, as with the Horus reticles or the type that a0 drew up. Really, for work past 300, it pays to dial.

There are a lot of ways to work with/around different reticles, a discussion of which would be a pretty significant hijack/derail. I'm, not saying that anyone is wrong for wanting a certain type of reticle, just that there are a lot of factors and techniques out there that are best understood by use.

Magic_Salad0892
11-15-12, 01:28
How about something like this?

1X fixed optic. 30mm tube, or smaller. Maybe a T-1 size optic. Put it a little closer to your face, so you can see the non illuminated etchings.

The picture is kinda small. I didn't know how to make it bigger.

a0cake
11-15-12, 01:39

1X fixed optic. 30mm tube, or smaller. Maybe a T-1 size optic. Put it a little closer to your face, so you can see the non illuminated etchings.

Not my style, but I'm sure it would work for some people, except the dots need to be getting smaller as range increases instead of bigger.

ra2bach
11-15-12, 12:35

this looks kinda like the reticle on the Burris MTAC 1-4

http://www.usgunsource.com/images/or/BU200429_or1.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
11-15-12, 14:36
Not my style, but I'm sure it would work for some people, except the dots need to be getting smaller as range increases instead of bigger.

You're right, I reversed it like a 'tard.

Magic_Salad0892
11-15-12, 14:36
this looks kinda like the reticle on the Burris MTAC 1-4

http://www.usgunsource.com/images/or/BU200429_or1.jpg

True, but mine is less obstructive, and catered towards a micro size 1X fixed sight.

copenhagen2001
11-15-12, 22:44
Nice ideas.

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

JohnnyC
11-16-12, 00:15
I'm curious to see how I like the SWFA 1-6 circle reticle. I wish it was hash-based as opposed to dots but we'll see. I like my Gen2XR in my Premier, If it were scaled down and I could put a damn Aimpoint behind it, it would be almost perfect. I almost wouldn't mind having to zero an extra set of small turrets if they could actually put an Aimpoint in the second focal plane. Hell, put actual T-1 guts with those cute little turrets on it and call it a day, best of both worlds in a low magnification scope.

M4Fundi
11-30-12, 01:22
Failure2Stop for a general purpose rifle lets say16" what would be your dream variable optic and its reticle design?

For me I would take Aocake's design ALMOST exactly.

I would change Aocake's Horseshoe to broken into quarters like the Vortex Viper PST TMCQ and keep Aocake's reticle and focal plane system. I might do away with his heavy plex post at the top to open up the view abit.

I would make it a 1-6x and care about length and wt reduction over making it a 1-8.

Then S&B's design of the 1.1 lock into parallax free feature

Next it would have a AA battery compartment on the lower right at 4:30 like the Aimpoint M4S and the illumination would be as good and last atleast a year at mid setting.

It would have flats on the tube or squared tube so that it could be mounted without the usual visual gymnastic to get it straight and use a LaRue throw lever or Bobro type mounts that attached to bottom like on the M4S, but with options along the length of the bottom for placement options. Scope rings just seem so obsolete to me. Aocake I like the way you think brother ;-)

rero360
11-30-12, 21:31
I can't claim to have designed the reticles for the USO dual focal plane scopes, but I did have a hand in it, very small hand, now I just need the cash to be able to buy one, my SN-3 TPAL 5-25 needs a little brother.

M4Fundi
11-30-12, 21:58
I can't claim to have designed the reticles for the USO dual focal plane scopes, but I did have a hand in it, very small hand, now I just need the cash to be able to buy one, my SN-3 TPAL 5-25 needs a little brother.

Tell us about the reticle design and its application;)

rero360
11-30-12, 22:46
Well, I was thinking about red dots and ACOGs and my SN-3 and the reported issues with the Elcans with the POI shift with the changing of the power. I had visited the USO shop and met a few of the employees, great group of people, and I've loved my SN-3. I got thinking about the pros and cons of the different scopes out there and the different types of reticles.

One night I had an idea of combining both first focal plane and second focal plane reticles to combine the mildots on the first focal plane to able to range at any power and a ring on the second focal plane for quick shooting (BAC mindset) regardless of the power setting. My idea was having the best of both worlds, CQB style shooting and longer range precision shooting all with one optic.

I PMed USO about it on the Snipers Hide, the owner, John, replied that they had been talking with a three gunner about something similar in the past and that they would look into it.

Now, looking at what they actually produced, tons better than what I had imagined and I applaud them for it. I think if I score the SDM slot on my SFAAT mission and they release the 1.8-10 DFP if I remember correctly, I'll be picking one up.

Hell maybe they never used my ideas but I like to think so in some small part lol.

JoshNC
04-06-13, 14:10
Time to revive this excellent thread...

Are there any programs or apps that allow proper scale design of reticles? My recollection of optics physics and optical engineering from college is hazy at best and I'd like to play around with a few ideas.