PDA

View Full Version : Gas tube question

MarkyMark80
11-14-12, 19:46
So I'm building my first AR and I bought a YHM specter gas block and I have a High Standard gas tube. It appears I'll need to hammer the gas tube into the block as either the tube it too thick or the hole for the gas tube is too narrow. Is this normal???

SpankMonkey
11-14-12, 19:50
No it is not normal. Gas tubes are cheap work on the tube with sand paper. If you have to remove a lot of material contact the company and get another tube. if you have another tube on hand check to see if it is the block or the tube that is the problem.

jet66
11-14-12, 20:48
Sometimes you'll need to do a little cleaning somewhere. I just put together a rifle using a DD bbl w/pinned-on GB. The GB needed a little emery cloth work on the inside to get the gas tube (from BCM) to fit. I just cut a small piece, rolled it in to a tube with the abrasive out, and turned it by hand inside the GB It is normal for it to be a little snug, but you shouldn't have to beat it in.

I have used a YHM Specter GB before, with a black finished YHM gas tube, and I recall having to do something similar, including smoothing out/sanding down the gas tube at that end. Since the gas tube was finished, I don't know if it was more the tube or the gas block.

MarkyMark80
11-15-12, 06:03
Thanks guys!

markm
11-15-12, 06:35
You can clamp the gas tube in a vice. Those things are pretty strong..... and work the block onto the tube.

Hammering on the gas tube is a defnite no go.