PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone on a 5.56 frenzy? Sold out

Axobreil
11-15-12, 15:35
I have noticed that gun sales have been going up and especially been seeing ammunition sales sky high. What the heck is going on again? Is it because the president got re-elected? or because of a possible armageddon? There is about 10 academies near where I live and all are sold out of 5.56 ammunition and stores cant stock fast enough before they are out again.

I just bought my first AR Colt M4 LE6920, and all I can find is 223 55 grain fmj ammunition, cheap stuff. I have been trying to buy a couple of 5.56 NATO boxes to see how my rifle shoots with them but I haven't been able to get my hands on them, just a bunch people trying to make money selling them in bulk on the internet.

C4IGrant
11-15-12, 15:39
I have noticed that gun sales have been going up and especially been seeing ammunition sales sky high. What the heck is going on again? Is it because the president got re-elected? or because of a possible armageddon? There is about 10 academies near where I live and all are sold out of 5.56 ammunition and stores cant stock fast enough before they are out again.

I just bought my first AR Colt M4 LE6920, and all I can find is 223 55 grain fmj ammunition, cheap stuff. I have been trying to buy a couple of 5.56 NATO boxes to see how my rifle shoots with them but I haven't been able to get my hands on them, just a bunch people trying to make money selling them in bulk on the internet.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.4987256679695876&pid=1.9

C4

SA80Dan
11-15-12, 15:58

Id recommend you buy online to cut out the hassle. Wideners, SGAmmo are two examples of good no bull places more likely to be in stock. Fact of the matter is the market is fairly tight at the moment for whatever reason.

Snake Plissken
11-15-12, 16:02
It's called dumb people who don't understand how legislation is passed. Lots of panic buying going around.

ST911
11-15-12, 16:20
I have noticed that gun sales have been going up and especially been seeing ammunition sales sky high. What the heck is going on again?

Shortages and increases are vendor specific and somewhat regional. They are also incredibly overstated. Common topic already under discussion. Good threads here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=116222
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=116020

Axobreil
11-15-12, 16:40
It's called dumb people who don't understand how legislation is passed. Lots of panic buying going around.

I hear ya man, thats the type of stupid stuff that puts all gun owners deeper in the hole. ammunition companies capitalize on this and keep raising the prices. Greeeeeeed......

NoveskeFan
11-15-12, 20:59
I watched thirty 500 round cases of XM193 sell out at SG ammo in about 10 minutes. 14 sold in a couple of minutes...I'm sure Gunbroker is about to have "great deals" on the same ammo :rolleyes:

I resisted the urge this time, but next time, I'm adding to the problem:D

E4for2
11-15-12, 21:08
sitting here cranking on my Dillon 550 :D

Snake Plissken
11-15-12, 22:08

Hee hee hee. At least those things haven't been touched yet.

markm
11-16-12, 07:11

Shhhh... don't want a bunch of sheep climbing into our reloading nervana..

Nice to kick the feet up and watch the Sheep suffer from their own inattentiveness. :cool:

Hmac
11-16-12, 09:20
There are a lot of people who simply don't want to expend the time, effort, or money involved in reloading. I used to reload years ago, but as my shooting volume increased, reloading demanded to become a hobby unto itself. Far from "nirvana", I found it tedious and boring. Each to their own...I'd rather just buy my ammo.

NoveskeFan
11-16-12, 09:31
There are a lot of people who simply don't want to expend the time, effort, or money involved in reloading. I used to reload years ago, but as my shooting volume increased, reloading demanded to become a hobby unto itself. Far from "nirvana", I found it tedious and boring. Each to their own...I'd rather just buy my ammo.

A really good friend of mine, "best friend" if you wanna go all High School:D reloads his .223/5.56 and .45ACP. He tends to chuckle when I tell him how much I pay for ammo. I chuckle when he wont/cant go shoot because he has to spend the weekend reloading;) But, in all fairness, it is awesome how well his reloads perform.

markm
11-16-12, 09:33

And that's a beautiful thing! It's not everyone's cup of tea.

S. Galbraith
11-16-12, 09:43
Shhhh... don't want a bunch of sheep climbing into our reloading nervana..

Nice to kick the feet up and watch the Sheep suffer from their own inattentiveness. :cool:

Yeah, but it's no fun keeping a secret if you can't brag to someone about it. ;)