PDA

View Full Version : Larry Vickers/ATS Tactical - Pistol & Carbine - Nov 14 - 16 Altha, FL

Stephen_H
02-15-08, 12:18
ATS Tactical is extremely happy to announce that Vickers Tactical (Larry Vickers) will conduct a 3 Day Pistol/Carbine Operators course on Nov 14-16 2008 at the Ares Training Facility owned and operated by ATS Tactical. The facility is nestled on 100 acres of South Eastern pine forest and is approximately 1 hour SW of Tallahassee, 1 hour N of Panama City. or 1 hour E-SE of Pensacola.

1 day pistol / 2 day carbine Nov 14 - 16 2008

Price is as follows:

- Vickers Tactical course tuition = $600.00

- $20 per day range fee= $60

- $75 per day for food and lodging. This fee includes housing in one of our 4 man cabins, full bath/shower facility, laundry facility, wireless internet service, satellite TV, and 3 catered meals a day. You are invited to spend the night before and the night after the class at no additional charge. You are welcome to go it on your own, but you will easily spend $75 a day just on your hotel fees.
=$225

- We may have ammo available on site at a bulk rate. We all know how bad ammo prices and availability have gotten lately. We will do everything we can to make ammo available for purchase from the pro-shop. Check this post regularly for updates.

Tuition payment in full is requested 30 days prior to the class, 15 October 2008, unless prior arrangements have been made. Contact us if you have questions.

Range and Lodging fees in full are requested 30 days prior to the class, 15 October 2008, unless prior arrangements have been made. Contact us if you have questions.

Vickers Tactical Pistol Basic

This class is an entry level course for handgun shooters and is designed specifically for those who have not had any formal instruction. Topics covered include the following: safety, stance, grip, sight alignment and trigger control. Familiarization with their service pistol includes field stripping and maintenance. In addition to this, other topics that are covered include reloads, draw, and introduction to different skill drills including dry fire and bullseye shooting.

Class requirements:

• Eye and Ear Protection (electronic hearing protection is preferred)

• Serviceable handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber

• Serviceable holster

• Minimum 1 double magazine pouch

• Minimum of 3 serviceable magazines (5 is better)

• 400 rounds of ammo – factory service type (no reloads)

• Suitable range wear depending on the season

• Good attitude

Vickers Tactical Carbine Basic Course

An entry level course for carbine shooters. This class is geared for those who have not had any formal instruction. Topics covered include safety, stance, zeroing for iron sights and optics, sight alignment and trigger control. Familiarization with their carbine includes field stripping and maintenance. Other subject matter that is covered includes reloads, presentation, shooting positions, and introduction to different skill drills including dry fire and bullseye shooting.

Class requirements:

• Eye and ear protection (electronic hearing protection is preferred)

• Serviceable carbine - typical calibers include 9mm, 45 ACP, 30 cal, 5.56 mm, 6.8mm SPC, 7.62 x 39mm

• Serviceable sling- suitable for a variety of shooting positions - tactical type preferred

• Minimum 1 magazine pouch - or method to carry spare magazine(s)

• Minimum of 3 serviceable magazines (5 is better)

• 800 rounds of ammo - service type

• Suitable range wear depending on the season

• Good attitude

Space is limited to 16 students!

To register contact Stephen Hilliard at stephen AT blueforcegear DOT com ..... Course tuition, lodging, meals, range fee, etc. may be paid online here (http://www.atstacticalgear.com/istar.asp?a=29&manufacturer=ATST) or by calling 800-639-5938

Larry's Bio can be seen here: www.vickerstactical.com/about.htm (http://www.vickerstactical.com/about.htm)

For local support feel free to contact our Facility Manager Brian Payne at 850-762-3616.

chris1280
02-15-08, 16:06
Hi Stephen, I just sent you an email.

thanks
Chris M.

rob_s
02-15-08, 17:40
Can you elaborate on the "cabins" a bit more? This could run the gamut from military barracks style to private-room style.

Is the 1 hour from Tallahassee from the middle of town or elsewhere? I grew up there and still have family there I could stay with if the 1 HR is a realistic drive time.

thanks in advance.

tinman44
02-15-08, 19:14
i'm negotiating with the wife, hope to get to go.

Matt Edwards
02-15-08, 21:30
Rob,

I'm sure Stephen will send picks, but the huts are quite nice and kept up. All in all, it is a very proffesionaly kept training site. Now that I am old, fat and retierd, that is very important. I was impressed.

Matt

Stephen_H
02-18-08, 12:22
Can you elaborate on the "cabins" a bit more? This could run the gamut from military barracks style to private-room style.

Is the 1 hour from Tallahassee from the middle of town or elsewhere? I grew up there and still have family there I could stay with if the 1 HR is a realistic drive time.

thanks in advance.

We are located about 15 miles off of exit 142, I-10. I have gotten there in under an hour from exit 203 (which is what I would consider the middle of Tallahassee).

The cabins are nice 4 man units with heat/AC and four wooden bunks. The below picture was taken right after they were built. The area is now grassy with gravel trails.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/stephen_101st/Gear/Arescabin.jpg

Batt 57
02-18-08, 12:25

thanks in advance.

Rob,

are you considering this? This is a course I would really like to attend.

Steve

Heavy Metal
02-18-08, 16:49
If you guys haven't trained with Larry before, you are in for a treat. I highly recommend it.

Stephen_H
03-03-08, 08:37
We're going to have Pat Rogers down there in a couple of weeks for a 3 day Carbine course I'll be sure to put up lots of pictures so that everbody has a better idea of how nice this facility is.

Stephen

tinman44
03-28-08, 00:34
I'm interested in attending a class but I've heard most courses/ranges won't let you keep brass. I dont intend on walking around every few minutes but I'm assuming at some point everyone or a few work together to clean up the brass. It would be great to see some classes allowing the attendees to clean up and split the brass. I've heard on several occasions "I would love to go but I can't keep my brass" or "I wanna shoot wolf so I won't waste my brass" I also assume the range benefits from this large ammount of brass they can reload or sell, but the class's are expensive and ammo has gone way up. I personally am holding back because of this. I know its seams silly to some but its like recycling, I pay a deposit on the brass and then I'm told I have to forfeit this to play even though I paid for the class.

VA_Dinger
03-30-08, 08:33
This certainly sounds like an awesome class.

Derek_Connor
04-01-08, 20:06
I just came back from Pat's class this weekend...

After training here at the ARES center...it makes me not want to train anywhere else...and its 4 hours away...

You will be more than 110% pleased with how smooth things run and how nice it is to train/eat/sleep/bullshit with everyone in your class on site and not have to worry about rushing around for food/etc.

Great weekend.

Stephen_H
04-14-08, 08:43
I just came back from Pat's class this weekend...

After training here at the ARES center...it makes me not want to train anywhere else...and its 4 hours away...

You will be more than 110% pleased with how smooth things run and how nice it is to train/eat/sleep/bullshit with everyone in your class on site and not have to worry about rushing around for food/etc.

Great weekend.

Thanks for the kudos Derek! It was a pleasure finally getting a chance to meet you.

FYI This class is about half full.

Stephen

Stephen_H
07-17-08, 09:06
Just a few slots left guys.

Stephen

Larry Vickers
07-17-08, 15:16
I for one am looking forward to it - a nice break in Nov to Florida won't bother me at all

be safe

LAV

rob_s
07-17-08, 15:32
I REALLY want to sign up for this. Might need to see if I can find someone to share the travel expenses with from down here....

The gas bill, there and back, would be nearly $300! :eek:

Might need to find multiple "someones"...

jackinfl
07-17-08, 21:04
Rob,
I am considering it, strongly. We can talk more on it later....

dsmguy7
07-19-08, 05:41

30 cal slut
07-19-08, 08:05
If you guys haven't trained with Larry before, you are in for a treat. I highly recommend it.

ditto.

+1

what Heavy Metal said.

Stephen_H
07-27-08, 16:18
Man I would love to go. That's only 2 hours away! Only problems are that I just spent a lot on what little I have and my first kid is due around nov. 20. We'll see what the wife says. How often does LAV or any other highly skilled instructor teach there? How cool is it there in nov? "Service Ammo", I'm assuming any .223 ammo is gtg?

There is a pretty good selection of instructors that regularly pass through Florida and some good ones that call Florida home. ATS Tactical has had some good ones a Camp Ares in addition to our regular training cadre there. Florida is a big place though and what is convenient for a guy in Tallahassee is not for a shooter in Miami. This will be the first time ATS has hosted LAV, but not his first gig in Florida.

November is a beautiful time to train in Florida! Moderate day time temps and cool, but usually not cold at night.

For training purposes any commercially loaded ammo will usually work. Stay away from reloads and gunshow specials. I've had good luck with Wolf and Prvi Partisan for training classes.

HTH
Stephen

dsmguy7
07-30-08, 04:33

Nathan_Bell
07-30-08, 15:17
I REALLY want to sign up for this. Might need to see if I can find someone to share the travel expenses with from down here....

The gas bill, there and back, would be nearly $300! :eek:

Might need to find multiple "someones"...

Do it, you will not be disappointed.

Stephen_H
09-19-08, 15:30
2 months to go and still a couple slots available.

Send e-mails to stephen AT blueforcegear DOT com to sign up.

Stephen_H
10-19-08, 13:20
Still have a slot or two open for this class! Get in touch with me ASAP if you'd like to attend.

Stephen

Larry Vickers
10-22-08, 02:30
Guys

If you want to get to one of my classes don't hesitate as with my schedule being busier than ever ( with the addition of co hosting a TV show) I may not get back down to FLA for a long time - If you can make it it would be wise to jump on this one

be safe

LAV

Larry Vickers
11-10-08, 21:19
We are appprox 1 week out - class looks like it will be small as the economy and the inevitable holiday season is fast approaching

This is a perfect oppurtunity to get in on a great student/instruction ratio - ideal for maximum attention per shooter

Hope to see you there

LAV

Stephen_H
11-11-08, 14:09
DRIVING DIRECTIONS (physical address does not show up on MapQuest)

Exit #142 S.R. 71 <Marianna> off of I-10.

Head South on S.R. 71 aprox 13 miles through 1 blinking light town of "ALTHA" (pop. 24 1/2)

Flat woods road is 2.8 miles south of town on the LEFT hand side of road. There will be a small sign out on the highway. About the time you think you're lost you will see facilty on LEFT hand side of road.

Please use parking lot at front gate until everyone is situated.

Anyone needing directions or local assistance can contact Brian @ 850.272.4482

N 30o 32' 13.6"

W 085o 05' 37"

Stephen

Matt Edwards
11-12-08, 10:24
Gentlemen,

Due to a VERY small class size, try to bring 500 rds of pistol as a minimum.

If you have 1000 rds of rifle, it would also be a good idea to bring it.

See ya there.

Matt

drsal
11-17-08, 08:19
Just completed this course w/ Mr Vickers and after UNLEARNING all the crap that I have been taught in the past, I now have to start from square one and practice like a son of gun! A truly outstanding course with fine people. Thank you Brian and Matt for the additional help, and for the great pointers...

John_Wayne777
11-17-08, 08:31
Just completed this course w/ Mr Vickers and after UNLEARNING all the crap that I have been taught in the past, I now have to start from square one and practice like a son of gun!

That's a common reaction after a Vickers course.

rob_s
11-17-08, 08:34
Lucky bastards!

Looking forward to hearing about this one.

I was in Lakeland at Southern Exposure all weekend for my girlfriend to take her first Ladies Handgun with Randy Cain. Figured getting her squared away was a bigger priority for me.