PDA

View Full Version : .308 carbine build

big honkin jeep
11-15-12, 18:01
Ok guys I haven't been around here much lately but I thought I'd touch on a build I did for a knock around carbine for what needs shooting. My last couple of builds have been kinda pricy and wound up being long, bulky, heavy, precision rifles. I thought this time I'd build a rifle with practicality and ease of handling in mind. There aren't very many factory options for leftys so I started with a used lefthanded Savage model 11. I had started off by turning it into a budget American classic clone a couple of years ago, just because that was the flavor of the month.http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/gregsandmine005-1_zpsd016dba6.jpg When the inspiration for this rifle hit me it was the obvious choice for a donor so I removed the stock and barrel. I had already replaced the trigger return spring and tuned the factory 3 screw adjustable trigger to right at 2#. Crisp with no over travel or take up I was happy with it. I went ahead and made and installed a bolt lift kit with a few hardware store parts and some stuff I had in my shop. which really smoothed out the operation. I found an inexpensive factory takeoff barrel in .308 with 1/10 twist and had it cut down to16." Lacking the tools to thread it I had a local smith go ahead and cut, crown ,and thread it for me. He also went ahead and put a custom brake on it. Before installing the .308 barrel I checked the lugs and found they were making full contact and needed no lapping thanks to the Savage floating bolthead design. I then was able to locate an older short action detachable box stock and the bottom metal. I converted the stock over to lefty and cut a couple of inches off the butt. Then I relocated the sling studs and re contoured the limbsaver recoil pad to match the new butt profile. After that I bedded the stock to the action and installed the bottom metal. I painted the stock sponge camo with flat forest green and khaki and sealed it with Testors dull coat. I reassembled everything and topped it with an EGW picatinny mount and a 3-9x40 vortex diamondback I had laying around. hopefully I'll get some coins together for a Leupold ultralight soon.The resulting rifle built for what needs shooting is very compact at 37"OAL, plenty powerful in .308 and so far shoots factory ammo into a little over an inch at 100yds. (generating brass) I'm sure after a little load development it'll have 300 yards covered easy. The handling is awesome especially in tight spaces and it slings and points very well. I haven't put it on the scales but It doesn't weigh much.
I am very pleased with the results and thought I'd show it off a little, :) http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/f7bb2b33_zps191f1868.jpg

sierra 223
11-15-12, 19:17
Looks really good, I love handy bolt action rifles like you turned yours into.

Looks perfect for what you were going for.

Blayglock
11-15-12, 19:53
The bolt is on the wrong side...

Good work

Doc. Holiday
11-16-12, 15:29
The bolt is on the wrong side...

Good work

Yea you need to get that corrected... ;) Great job.