PDA

View Full Version : back up rear sight

steelonsteel
11-15-12, 18:52
In short I'm trying to decide between the Daniel Defense A1.5 or a magpul MBUS gen II.

For the MBUS I like the idea of being able to fold the sight down for a less obscured sight picture, and I like th idea of both peeps being on the same plane = basically a large short distance/night-time peep and a small long distance/day time peep. no adjustment to my zero in flipping between the two.

For the daniel defense if my optic goes down I don't have ot take any time flipping something up. Downside is ther IS a shift between the large and small peep.

Both sights are exeptionally light and have the same basic footprint.

Is there anything I'm missing that should be obvious [or even not so obvious] to the equation? Which way would you go, and why?

FWIW - my rifle is a Colt LE6920, running an EOTECH XPS2-0 [absolute co-witness].

Thanks in advance~

cthompson36
11-15-12, 18:54
the magpuls are great as back-up sights. they are spring loaded they pop up really quickly, and they fold down really low. they're pretty cheap too.

jet66
11-15-12, 19:01
I was mainly going with MBUIS to fit under optics, but I've steered away from any magnified gear to just Aimpoint and EOTech, with no magnifiers. In doing so, I tend to prefer leaving the iron sights up. I've thought about replacing the rear MBUIS on my 6920 with the DD A1.5 sight myself, actually.

Toyoland66
11-15-12, 19:57
The troy fixed rear sight has a same plane aperture. It is what I am running and I have no complaints.

Redbeardsong
11-15-12, 20:03
Definitely Troy over the MBUS. Does the DD really have a shift in zero? That surprises me.

Gunzilla
11-15-12, 20:04
I'm another Troy fan. After starting off using a Midwest Industries buis I moved to the Troy (front & rear) and was completely impressed with the improved feel of the sight mechanics....very sure locking in the up or down positions.

I sure wished I would have found them before going through 3 other sets of buck-up sights....it would have verified the "buy once cry once' saying I've read so much on this site.

Kain
11-15-12, 23:19
I have both the Magpul and the DD rears, actually paid more the the magpul since I bought that new opposed to the DD which I bought used and have $35 in it. As far as which to choose, the magpul resides until my ACOG and it works well for what I use it for, the DD is on my AR which is running an M2 Aimpoint at 1/3 cowitness and for that it runs great, I suppose with I was running absolute cowitness I would prefer to have flip up sites, but that is me. If you can I would try the sights that have been mentioned out and pick the one that you like the most.

markm
11-16-12, 07:17
Unless I had a scope that would only accomodate a folder... I wouldn't ever buy any of the folding units available out there.

nanners83
11-16-12, 08:25
I usually use the MBUS rear sight if I'm going to have a magnified optic on most of the time.
The DD rear has worked out pretty well for me behind my AP Pro. But my red dot preference is lower 3rd cw so you might have to see if it works for you with absolute cw.

Another thing to take note of is that the MBUS and Troy(fixed and flip) rears use same plane apertures. Meaning that the small and large aperture have the same zero. The DD rear uses standard A2 apertures so the small peep is meant to be zeroed for 300m and the larger peep is for 200m and in. I just used the small peep for my 50/200m zero and ignore the larger one since I've never had to use it anyway

djmorris
11-16-12, 09:06
The MagPul and Troy's are both really nice. I'd recommend both. I also highly recommend the Knights Armament flip up sight; especially since you can find it for like $35-$40 if you know where to look (Don't kill me...) ;)

majorleaguekennels
11-16-12, 15:15
I have had the magpul mbuis and the troy flip ups. I don't think i would buy another mbuis unless it was forced by budget, absolutely nothing wrong with them, I just like how solid my troy is, and how it locks in the up position, where the mbuis is just floating in the up position only held up by a spring. Never had any issues, I just like the troy better.

cop1211
11-16-12, 21:47
For folders I like the KAC and Troy. For fixed I like the Larue with the same plane aperture or the LMT.

MIDGAPATRIOT
11-17-12, 07:43
The troy fixed rear sight has a same plane aperture. It is what I am running and I have no complaints.

Same here. I have Troy's on all my rifles.