PDA

View Full Version : New to ARs

nick529
02-15-08, 13:11
Im fairly new to firearms in general and brand new to rifles. Only rifle I own is a marlin 22. I'm purchasing a colt 6920 in a few weeks and I know literaly nothing other then what I've been reading on this site for the last week or so.

A few questions I have:
Is the colt 6920 a good weapon to start out with, I have the money and I dont feel like buying something where parts are breaking etc.

Are there any accessories or new parts that I will need immediatley and are neseccary for general range shooting?

I'm having trouble finding information on ARs, does any one know of a site or book I can buy that is kind of a guide for newbies to ARs

johnson601
02-15-08, 13:19
The 6920 is a great choice..
As far as info goes this site is the best to educate yourself on everything you need to know. good luck

m700m
02-15-08, 13:47
+1 "6920" ''m4carbine.net'':)

Safetyhit
02-15-08, 13:52
Most here will tell you that the 6920 is the best civilian AR-15 one can own. I have one and would not disagree by any means, though my others (Colt and Bushmaster) are also great. You don't need anything right away. You could add an optic and rails for a light soon, but you don't need them immediately unless perhaps it is for work or something.

And welcome aboard.

babaracus
02-15-08, 14:02
Welcome nick529!

It would be a very good idea to read through all the posts and links in the two "stickied" Knowledge Base threads listed below. You will find them at the top of AR General Discussion Forum (https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3) and AR Technical Discussion Forum (https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4). They will provide you with a good start and some basic knowledge.

Knowledge Base Threads (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355)

AR Technical Discussion FAQ/Knowledge Base Threads (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009)

Good luck!

Paladin4415
02-15-08, 18:05
A Colt 6920 is a very good choice. It will serve you well for a long time. Keep reading on this site and don't be afraid to ask questions...everybody was new to AR's once. You don't need anything extra right now except maybe some more magazines.

HCPrepper
02-16-08, 05:36
I own a number of Ar 15's, the last one I bought was a 6920. Damn fine weapon from the ground up. You will make an excellent choice hands down my friend.

As far as education on proper firearm handling and the 6920. READ that book from Cover to Cover, when you finish it READ IT AGAIN !!!!

You can NEVER be too educated on any weapon you own, just when you thought you knew it all, FIND MORE INFO and READ !!

have someone who knows the AR series, or ask here, we would be very open and helpful in explaining any questions you have regarding them.

Education and training is paramount to any ownership of any type of weapon.

Practice what you learn....

halfmoonclip
02-19-08, 08:39
The US Army managed to teach the AR system to a bunch of us who didn't know a muzzle from a buttplate way back in 1970. The AR is easy to fieldstrip, and the cleaning isn't the big deal that some make of it.
To the OP, be safe in your gunhandling, as a semiauto rifle is different than a bolt .22.
Beyond that, do as was suggested here; get an online education, read and study.
Get yourself some low profile headphones or good plugs, so you can get your face down on the stock for a good sight picture.
Gunwise, you can't do any better than the prancing pony. Have fun with that new carbine.
Moon

Tim_FL
02-19-08, 20:17
++1 "6920" ''m4carbine.net''- The 6920 is a great platform for a first AR (not a sear friendly host gun if you ever intend to do a legal class 3 full auto conversion)- I only mention this because although most never want (or can afford) to do a conversion some do decide and wish that they knew.

Sincerely,
Tim

tkoglman
02-19-08, 20:35
My opinion on accessories follows this order:

1. Magazines: Get some Magpul Pmags or USGI contract mags with either the green followers or the Magpul followers. 4 is a good number to start with.

2. A Sling. A rifle without a sling is like a pistol without a holster. Get a good adjustable 2 point like the V-Tac or the VCAS and learn how to use it.

3. A weapon light. If you have any thoughts about using your rifle for self-defense, you should consider a weapon light. There is an almost unlimited number of options and prices available.

4. Optics. Modern military grade optics give you big advantages in hitting what you are aiming at, especially in high stress / unusual situations, with very few drawbacks. The biggest obstacle is price.

The best advice I could give you is to get the mags and the sling and start shooting. Read as much as you can from this forum about the lights and optics before you start spending money. When you do, save up just a little more to get quality gear.

RogerinTPA
02-19-08, 21:31
You can't go wrong with the colt 6920. Use the comparison chart on the quality on various AR platforms.https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

nick529
02-19-08, 23:01
thanks for all the tips, probaly going to be 2 weeks untill i get the colt. Im going to go ahead and order some Pmags, I was excited when I saw the price on those considering how many people talk about them.