PDA

View Full Version : End of Watch movie...

Reagans Rascals
11-16-12, 16:58
Recently watched this and thought it was rather well made...

story line aside... I think they kept it somewhat realistic, more so than many of the numerous bags of shit in the past few years...

Weapons manipulation and combat tactics seemed to be on the up and up... just wanted to put out the word that its worth a watch

any opinions from those who've also seen it?

BufordTJustice
11-16-12, 17:48
I'm a cop in Orlando, FL. The hectic ten things at once radio traffic and multi tasking is VERY realistic. Its the best glimpse yet into 'the job'.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Moose-Knuckle
11-16-12, 17:59
I have not seen it yet myself but have heard good things from colleagues who have. The film makers listened to their LE technical advisors and it shows.

http://www.policemag.com/blog/editors-notes/story/2012/09/director-end-of-watch-is-story-of-honest-lapd-cops.aspx

feedramp
11-17-12, 00:19
Not really a fan of 'found footage' genre movies, but the cop theme of this one is what bought my interest.

The calls they responded to (and didn't respond to) seemed pretty well done. The banter with people on the streets, etc.

*Not really a SPOILER of anything but just in case, fair warning the following discusses a scene in the movie*

But one thing that bugged me and I didn't get is why, when they were trapped in the apartment, they were shown essentially blind firing into thick concrete with pistols (no positive ID of where the badguys were precisely; from the perspective given the viewer, the officers were unable to spot the shooters and were essentially just trying to do suppressive fire to make a break for it, though i don't remember seeing the badguys actually forced to take cover by the officers' actions), and then only after they stopped blindly dumping mags in a general direction in the midst of occupied apartments, do they make a run for it. It just seemed really poorly planned and almost absurd.

If you want to argue it was portraying how people do silly things when they're under pressure, well okay then. But that wasn't how it came across in the movie. It came across like this was a legit tactic (I think the white cop mentioned something referencing an Army tactic or whatever). Their actions in that scene made so little sense that it actually broke my immersion and took me out of the movie for a few moments, and that's generally not easy to do.

Overall, there's a dark tone to the film and it's a bit depressing, so if you like that in a movie to feel "authentic" or "real", then you might dig it.

Reagans Rascals
11-17-12, 00:30
Not really a fan of 'found footage' genre movies, but the cop theme of this one is what bought my interest.

The calls they responded to (and didn't respond to) seemed pretty well done. The banter with people on the streets, etc.

*Not really a SPOILER of anything but just in case, fair warning the following discusses a scene in the movie*

But one thing that bugged me and I didn't get is why, when they were trapped in the apartment, they were shown essentially blind firing into thick concrete with pistols (no positive ID of where the badguys were precisely; from the perspective given the viewer, the officers were unable to spot the shooters and were essentially just trying to do suppressive fire to make a break for it, though i don't remember seeing the badguys actually forced to take cover by the officers' actions), and then only after they stopped blindly dumping mags in a general direction in the midst of occupied apartments, do they make a run for it. It just seemed really poorly planned and almost absurd.

If you want to argue it was portraying how people do silly things when they're under pressure, well okay then. But that wasn't how it came across in the movie. It came across like this was a legit tactic (I think the white cop mentioned something referencing an Army tactic or whatever). Their actions in that scene made so little sense that it actually broke my immersion and took me out of the movie for a few moments, and that's generally not easy to do.

Overall, there's a dark tone to the film and it's a bit depressing, so if you like that in a movie to feel "authentic" or "real", then you might dig it.

he specifically states they have to lay down a base of fire and pivot...

they are emptying their mags essentially to create exactly what he said... a base of fire... he didn't say suppressive fire... its just putting out fire to cover their movement... almost like a peel or a leap frog.... lay down fire and peel or move.... it wasn't meant to be effective or accurate fire... it was just used as a covering tactic to give them time to move.... empty the mag... the thugs hold back for a little while... then when they look back you are gone...

the only issue I had with the movie was why they didn't take the car in the end... in the alley way... where he popped home boy in the face right over the wall... basic escape and evasion at that point in time...

feedramp
11-17-12, 00:34
Whatever their reasoning, the way it was filmed made them look silly doing it. Just another strike against found footage films in my book. ;)

SkiDevil
11-17-12, 12:20
Recently watched this and thought it was rather well made...

story line aside... I think they kept it somewhat realistic, more so than many of the numerous bags of shit in the past few years...

Weapons manipulation and combat tactics seemed to be on the up and up... just wanted to put out the word that its worth a watch

any opinions from those who've also seen it?

I saw it when it first came out on the theaters. I found it to be entertaining with a good story line. It was graphic so not intended for a family night out. It provides a glimpse into a working street cops world in a larger urban city. A good friend who works for the agency portrayed saw the film and held a high opinion of it. He believed it was a realistic portrayal over-all.

If you like Southland TNT you will enjoy the movie.

I will also admit that I shed a few tears at the end of the movie in the final scene.

thopkins22
09-05-13, 03:29
Only digging this up to mention that it is on Netflix instant now. Just watched it...enjoyed it thoroughly. Certainly worth the price of admission if you have Netflix.

Got a kick out of a discreetly placed AAC sticker in the locker room. I always wonder who sneaks things like that in, or knows about that stuff. Advisors? Scene builders?

Honestly I enjoyed the fact that they're showing some of the truly psychopathic levels of violence that is percolating up from the border with the cartels. I'd be far more down with sending some SO type teams south of the border to put a check on these groups than I am with fighting Syrians.

austinN4
09-05-13, 04:20
Got a kick out of a discreetly placed AAC sticker in the locker room. I always wonder who sneaks things like that in, or knows about that stuff. Advisors? Scene builders?

Typically, those are what are know as product placements that the company being advertised pays for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_placement

matemike
09-05-13, 05:56
I sorta liked the story line. FWIW, It brought a tear to my wife's eye.

The partnership/friendship is funny and realistic.

SPOILER:
It's got some Hollywood-style pazzaz. The two lowly "street cops" were always accidentally making busts in the tip top of the Mexi-Cali cartels??? Very unlikely to me.

The opening scene is an eye opener!!! I'm not LEO nor military, so to those who are; was that a realistic scene?

Miami_JBT
09-05-13, 06:38
The story line was a bit odd towards.the end with the final shoot out. The car should have been taken and every single officer I work with (those that have common sense and street smarts) agree with me. Also the disarming by taking off the gun belt and throwing down with the thug was pure Hollywood.

As for general day to day banter, dark humor, joking, call dispatches, working the road, etc... the film was dead on. I've done street work for six years in Miami. We work as one man units but everything in the movie was done on the streets.

I would keep my sidearm pointed through the door while talking to thugs, the cursing is still there, the hand sanitizer, the screwed pranks in roll call, etc... very good depection on that.

So I do say that the film for the most part while a Hollywood portrayal is enjoyable and worth watching.

MountainRaven
09-05-13, 08:39
Felt a bit like LAPD propaganda. Which isn't surprising, since it was made with LAPD's assistance.

Still a good movie, though. Definitely stirred feelings and stuff. I had to watch Dredd right afterward to wash out the rage and sadness.

Miami_JBT
09-05-13, 08:48
Felt a bit like LAPD propaganda. Which isn't surprising, since it was made with LAPD's assistance.

Still a good movie, though. Definitely stirred feelings and stuff. I had to watch Dredd right afterward to wash out the rage and sadness.

If I want to wash out age and sadnessI watch Expendables 1 & 2, Die Hard 1 & 4, or Olympus Has Fallen.

Dredd is different for me... it is how work should be. I want a cool motorcycle like that and a fancy handgun that blows folks arms off.

SteyrAUG
09-05-13, 14:07
So far I've only seen this part, but it's enough to make me put it in my Netflix queue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKEumcjARwY

This is despite the fact that I hate Jake Gyllenhaal and "found footage" concept films.

Miami_JBT
09-05-13, 15:01
The whole movie is not found footage. Only the first part of it.

Endur
09-05-13, 21:24
I really enjoyed this movie. From what I have been told, the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy now shows this movie specifically for training purposes but I cannot confirm.

Alaskapopo
09-05-13, 21:41
I liked it and the cop humor was pretty much right on. Made me glad I don't work in LA.
pat

MountainRaven
09-05-13, 21:43
If I want to wash out age and sadnessI watch Expendables 1 & 2, Die Hard 1 & 4, or Olympus Has Fallen.

Dredd is different for me... it is how work should be. I want a cool motorcycle like that and a fancy handgun that blows folks arms off.

Mostly the whole law versus cartel thing... with End of Watch ending with a funeral of a cop versus Dredd ending with (SPOILERS) a drug lord being forced to fall very slowly to their death after their cartel has been all but exterminated.

Caeser25
09-05-13, 21:48
he specifically states they have to lay down a base of fire and pivot...

they are emptying their mags essentially to create exactly what he said... a base of fire... he didn't say suppressive fire... its just putting out fire to cover their movement... almost like a peel or a leap frog.... lay down fire and peel or move.... it wasn't meant to be effective or accurate fire... it was just used as a covering tactic to give them time to move.... empty the mag... the thugs hold back for a little while... then when they look back you are gone...

the only issue I had with the movie was why they didn't take the car in the end... in the alley way... where he popped home boy in the face right over the wall... basic escape and evasion at that point in time...

And grabbed his longgun.

Good movie.

Caeser25
09-05-13, 21:50
I will also admit that I shed a few tears at the end of the movie in the final scene.

Hard not to.

Hersh
09-05-13, 22:01
There was a scene I was curious about ... they're moving down an alley or through a courtyard and there was a lot of chatter between the two officers. At the back of the alley there was a BG beating an office on the ground.

It's been some time since I saw the movie and it seems like they were calling positions of cover as they advanced. To my untrained eye it looked as if they knew what they were doing.

Realistic or Hollywood?

Dennis
09-05-13, 23:21
The grumpy training officer pretty much had it right.

Alaskapopo
09-05-13, 23:24
The grumpy training officer pretty much had it right.

Its funny I know guys like that. I also know the go getters. Pretty much every character type in that movie is someone a cop has met or known in their career.

Bowser
09-06-13, 00:20
I found some of the movie to be funny because...

He calls this a Glock 19.

http://i.imgur.com/FSBeoQq.jpg

He then calls the knife he shows a "Spyderco" when it clearly has "Smith & Wesson" on the side of the blade.

Alaskapopo
09-06-13, 00:25

He then calls the knife he shows a "Spyderco" when it clearly has "Smith & Wesson" on the side of the blade.

I was just happy they showed him using a Glock with a weapon light attached. I use the same set up with my Glock 17 and a Surefire X300 Ultra attached.
Pat

CGSteve
09-06-13, 21:58
Overall I enjoyed the movie. The one thing I thought was odd with the storyline though is that two LA cops were "shocked" to discover that Mexican cartels operate on US soil. Really?

In AZ, there are stash houses where trafficked humans are stashed before being moved to different parts of the country. There are stash houses where thousands of pounds of marijuana and large quantities of harder drugs are stashed, waiting to be distributed to street level dealers. At any given time on the major interstates, there are vehicles laden with either smuggled humans or narcotics.

This is common knowledge for all but the most naïve residents here, not to mention LE in this state? I would surmise LA is much the same.

MountainRaven
09-07-13, 00:11

At least the round count is the same for either one.

Irish
09-08-13, 11:41
I streamed it last night and really enjoyed watching the film. I think it's a lot closer to reality than the vast majority of films out there. They also have to sprinkle in enough Hollywood to make it enjoyable for the masses, not just us gun dorks.

Caeser25
09-08-13, 14:43
Another good cop movie is Street Kings. More Hollywood and Training Day - ish but a good flick nonetheless.

Endur
09-09-13, 07:37
Another good cop movie is Street Kings. More Hollywood and Training Day - ish but a good flick nonetheless.

I concur; the "2nd" one was complete garbage.

jerrysimons
09-09-13, 10:38
The keepin' it real, gangsta fight in the thug's living room was a bit over the top.

thopkins22
09-09-13, 16:43
The keepin' it real, gangsta fight in the thug's living room was a bit over the top.

I personally know of situations where exactly that has happened...albeit with Sheriff's Deputies.

Vendetta
09-10-13, 06:56
Sinners and Saints is also a great movie.

Vendetta
09-10-13, 06:57
There was a scene I was curious about ... they're moving down an alley or through a courtyard and there was a lot of chatter between the two officers. At the back of the alley there was a BG beating an office on the ground.

It's been some time since I saw the movie and it seems like they were calling positions of cover as they advanced. To my untrained eye it looked as if they knew what they were doing.

Realistic or Hollywood?

If you get a group of guys that work together, this can be normal. Other times you'll get one guy that knows what he's doing, or a basic idea, and another that is completely lost and ends up following the first officer.

My sector of guys does a lot of warrants, so we are able to move and work together fairly well.