PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight rifle

Mariley85
11-16-12, 22:48
looking to build a rifle as lightweight as possible for my little sister. she's not tiny, but she'd still probably be happier with a light rifle.

i guess i'm looking for stocks, handguards, barrels that will keep the weight down. and any other tips y'all have for keeping the weight down are appreciated.

kmrtnsn
11-16-12, 22:55
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100213&highlight=lightweight+build

TehLlama
11-17-12, 00:24
There are a LOT of really good lightweight build threads around here. Really helpful - abuse the Google Site Search, you'll see a TON.

TL;DR summary:

Upper Receiver - standard forged is fine, omitting the FA saves some ounces (ala MUR-1S or similar).
Barrel - Lightweight Middy is preferred, if not SBR. DD, BCM, Noveske, Colt (6720), Centurion are great options, 16" preferable.
Handguards - Noveske NSR, TROY and TROY/VTAC Rails, DD MFAR Handguards, Rainier UltraLite, or even the KAC URX 3.1's are all contenders.
Stock - this is the one part where super light may not make the rifle feel light. Magpul MOE is cheapest, CTR, ACS-L, STR; VLTOR IMOD; LMT or B5 SOPMOD are the short list of choices I'd look at.

Optic - Aimpoint H-1 on DD or LT/ADM Mount. T-1 For a bit more, but the features are usually a waste on a LW rifle.
BUIS - MBUS, TROY, or DD Fixed are my preferences. Again, weight and simple.
Weaponlights - it's really hard to beat a SF X300, Inforce WML, or a VTAC L4-3V KX1SF on an offset mount. Streamlight TRL-1S is a good value option, as would be any SF G2 type light with a mount.

My wife's is a DD 14.5" LW Middy w/ BC1.5, TROY/VTAC 11" handguard, Aimpoint H-1 on LT660, LMT SOPMOD Stock, and I run a SF X300 in front of a DD Fixed front, and TROY rear sight. Under 7# with sling and loaded magazine.
What I'd build right now on an unlimited budget - BCM 16" BFH LW Middy, Noveske NSR 11", Inforce WML and MBUS, T-1 on LT660.
Stock Rifle - Colt 6720 w/ C4 or Omega handguard, or the DD V7 As-Is.

Mariley85
11-17-12, 02:22
pencil barrel and skipping the f/a bcg are good ideas.

I was thinking 14.5"/ pinned, 9" trx extreme, fixed troy irons, moe stock. Should be sub 7#, no?

Iraqgunz
11-17-12, 02:35
You aren't going to notice the little weight difference of the BCG. Leave the auto in as it was designed.

I would also be very careful about pinning/welding a comp or flash hider in place, especially an expensive one. They aren't easily undone and will ruin any value it had.

pencil barrel and skipping the f/a bcg are good ideas.

I was thinking 14.5"/ pinned, 9" trx extreme, fixed troy irons, moe stock. Should be sub 7#, no?

Mariley85
11-17-12, 03:10
You aren't going to notice the little weight difference of the BCG. Leave the auto in as it was designed.

I would also be very careful about pinning/welding a comp or flash hider in place, especially an expensive one. They aren't easily undone and will ruin any value it had.

my local gunsmith has had no problem pinning and un-pinning them for me. regardless, it won't have some random $150 muzzle brake on it.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-17-12, 08:15

I don't like the idea of pinning and soldering the flash hider either, but here in WA it is a requirement if you want to run a barrel shorter than 16". No SBR's for us.:cray:

JSGlock34
11-17-12, 09:51
I'd consider simply buying a Colt 6720 (http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COAR6720.aspx) or the upcoming TALO Colt Tactical Light Carbine (http://www.taloinc.com/images/TLC.jpg) (essentially a 6720 with Magpul MOE furniture) and call it a day.

http://www.taloinc.com/images/TLC.jpg

The Daniel Defense M4V7LW (https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7-lw.html) is another solid factory option.

https://danieldefense.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/v/7/v7lw.jpg

If shooting style or purpose requires adding an extended handguard, then I'd consider adding something like the Troy VTAC Extreme. But I'm not sure what adding a 9" Troy and fixed sights is gaining you over a set of MOE handguards.

ETA: Dropping 1.5" from a pencil barrel is not going to generate much weight savings. If you are really trying to shave every ounce, go for it, but I think funds are better spent elsewhere. If you are looking for ultra-lightweight, the Functional Featherweight (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35771) and Project Featherweight (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=39599) threads might provide some inspiration.

Kokopelli
11-17-12, 10:00
I went with a standard Bravo Company lightweight mid-length with cavalry taper hand guard and a Rogers super stoc. Ron

Darkop
11-17-12, 12:06
This is about as light as I could get one.
DD 14.5 LW W/ pinned BC 1.5
Drilled out Troy hand guard
Drilled out lower receiver
Drilled out receiver Extension and CAR stock
Drilled out pistol grip
Old Colt semi circle BCG

Ended up being 4 lb 10 OZ. Very light to carry but so light it has a lot of recoil and some people don't like to shoot it. I have no problem with it.

It was just a project I did to see how light I could get it and still function well. IT IS NOT A SHTF GUN! Just a project I did on a cold winter in the AK.

Until that day,
Darkop

loganp0916
11-17-12, 12:11
DD 14.5 W pinned BC 1.5
Drilled out pistol grip

Ended up being 4 lb 10 OZ. Very light to carry but so light it has a lot of recoil and some people don't like to shoot it. I have no problem with it.

Until that day,
Darkop

Pictures? I would like to see this thing

Airhasz
11-17-12, 12:38
Drilled out pistol grip
Old Colt semi circle BCG

It was just a project I did to see how light I could get it and still function well. IT IS NOT A SHTF GUN! Just a project I did on a cold winter in the AK.

Until that day,
Darkop

Someone please take the drill press from this poor soul...:no:

BH321
11-17-12, 13:16
Drilled out pistol grip
Old Colt semi circle BCG

Until that day,
Darkop

I am surprised he didn't dremel off the picatinny rail between the rear and front sight... Oh dear, I think I may have given him an idea.

Shoulderthinggoesup
11-17-12, 13:24
Someone please take the drill press from this poor soul...:no:

:jester:

I gotta see this thing. pics please!

Iraqgunz
11-17-12, 13:26
I know that. When you really compare them side by side the gain that you think you're getting isn't anything great for all the stuff that you have to do to get there.

I don't like the idea of pinning and soldering the flash hider either, but here in WA it is a requirement if you want to run a barrel shorter than 16". No SBR's for us.:cray:

Iraqgunz
11-17-12, 13:32
I am speechless.

rickblaine3
11-17-12, 13:52
For my first post/comment here, I'll start with a:

:eek:

Anyway, as for the lightweight build, speaking of Talo Colt's, I finally got a chance to look at one of those 6720-R's yesterday. It was pretty darn light, even with that beefy Troy MRF rail...

If I was going to build something like that (rail covering lo pro), and wanted to keep it as light was possible, I'd definitely use a Rainier Evolution rail. The 11" model comes in at like 10.3 oz.

Darkop
11-17-12, 13:53
I am speechless.

Come on Gunz,
it was just a build to see how light I could get it. I have plenty of SHTF guns that are built with quality parts. This was built mostly from shop parts I had around. I wanted to show the OP that you can build very light. This is too light for most woman, it's loud and has a lot of recoil but it is light!

Back to the OP. Pick up a DD LW barrel and the troy 7" hand guard and a Rainier "slick" upper and build the lady a LW rifle. She will appreciate the upper. Just don't go to the extreme I did, it's too light for most.

Now, I have a date at the range and reactive icicle targets a 432 yards :-)

Until that day,
Darkop

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-17-12, 15:26
I know that. When you really compare them side by side the gain that you think you're getting isn't anything great for all the stuff that you have to do to get there.

I agree.

TehLlama
11-18-12, 20:08
I'd say Darkop did an excellent job of demonstrating another key point - you can make an AR lighter, but there is a point where you're exchanging utililty for weight savings.

I'd argue that point is where you're omitting sighting systems and weaponlights, but reasonably there is very little to be gained in my my by going with really short handguards (11" rail added very little voer the 9" I originally installed on my wife's lightweight), or by removing an inch and change of pencil barrel (16" is plenty light), and that having a relatively heavy component (SOPMOD stock) on the back end can actually make the rifle more balance and perceptively seem lighter.

For me that sweet spot is around 6# unloaded for the rifle/sling/optic/light. Get the most capable parts and it's still an extremely handy rifle, without tons of time spent on modifications that reduce how flexible the rifle can be.

topslop1
11-19-12, 15:52
bcm 14.5'' light weight although you should really go the NFA route for a 12.5'' or 11.5'' or 10.5'' for the lightest weight possible imo.