PDA

View Full Version : FNH P-12 Pump

JohnnyNumbers
11-17-12, 13:48
I was digging around on Youtube the other day and ran across a video review from Jeff Quinn w/Gunblast.com ... and after watching it, it looks like it may be a pretty decent shotgun. I didn't even know this gun existed till then, so I'm curious to know if anyone here has any experience with it and I would like to know some opinions if I may.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/commercial/shotguns/p12-pump-shotgun/

Here's Jeff's review...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Zh7E16n7g

Thanks!

Noodles
11-17-12, 22:35
I wonder if you can half-break and re-seat the round in the tube to do a slug changeover ala 870 or if it only works Mossberg style.

The aluminum receiver seems nice and light. FN doesn't exactly make crap so there is that. The rail seems good to go.

I'm looking for an 18" pump now that my SBS 870 dreams are so of dashed. So far it's between this, an 870 and a Benelli SuperNova.

The 870 obviously has the more support for parts. The Benelli has a nice mag tube shutoff function. I'm not sure how this fits in. Interested though

Noodles
11-18-12, 01:58
Also... That was an absolutely HORRBILE review video. He read the spec sheet and said "nice gun" about 40 times. What a waste of time that was. I disliked that guy before, now I'm closer to hate.

I'm even a little mad at that shotgun for how terrible that video was.

JohnnyNumbers
11-18-12, 11:03
LOL...I agree it isn't the best video, but I tried to concentrate on the product...not the redneck talking about it. :D Jeff isn't the best videographer in the world, by any stretch...but he does have the tendency to crack me up on occasion with the shit he says. So although he may not be the most informative, I like watching him for no other reasons other than he talks about guns...and he makes me laugh. Besides, it's the only video I could find on this particular shotgun.

Anyway...I went by my LGS yesterday and asked them to look up the P-12 and see if their distributor had any available. I was basically told "nope...nada...zilcho." For some reason this gun isn't being pushed very hard at all. I haven't found one listed for sale, yet, on any of the online retailers that I know of, and as already mentioned...I never knew this gun existed until just a couple days ago.

Noodles
11-18-12, 12:12
Like that video is so bad I want to cut of his Oh-look-at-me-I'm-so-unique-I-really-just-need-these-for-the-attention-I-get face dreads. Like at SHOT, I'd like to do a pick-pocket style bump into and quick clip one off. I'm a horrible person.

That said, he pretty much deserves that for posting a video that is so devoid of any honest content.

Can the gun be unloaded without cycling the pump? Can ammo changeovers be accomplished without dropping a round? How much of a gap is there on the cantilevered scope base, will that be an issue? What does the carrier look like? Will it pinch thumbs like benellis? Does the carrier remain up if you press it from the bottom? Can the gun short stroke? How does the barrel remove? Does the pump assembly remove or is it fixed in place ala 870? Is the saftey large enough to be felt and hit clearly?

No, instead genius terribly shoots some generic buckshot poorly, and reads off the gun's spec sheet.

Just my own guesses, but I'm going to say that I don't like the release and safety locations be complete opposite from the 870. With the 870 and Benelli (and others) you can feel if the over-sized safeties are engaged when your finger goes for the trigger and quickly push in to disengage. This isn't worse, just different, since your finger would be riding the safety most of the time on this gun. I don't care for the gap in the scope mount, seems like just enough area to get snagged. My guess is that ammo changeovers work Mossberg style which very much sucks because not only do you lose a round out of the tube, you need to wiggle it out, and wiggling things under stress is not ideal. This gun might be the best pump ever made, but so far I'm not seeing it.

If you needed a non-870, I'm not sure how this beats the SuperNova.

ikor
11-18-12, 19:11
Apparently these are running from $600-650 or so from the people who have them in stock (several on Gunbroker)...no thanks...

JohnnyNumbers
11-19-12, 13:23
Just for the sake of saying so, I'm not openly looking to buy one of these. I was always under the impression that FNH put out a fairly decent product, and having never heard of the P-12...it kinda piqued my curiosity when I found out about it. So far, out of the two members that replied...there is no interest.

I sent FNH a message on Facebook asking about availability and they replied that they have been shipping since July...yet no one I have asked...whether it be here or gunshops in my area ...know anything about it. Interesting.

Oh well... Thanks for the replies.

Noodles
11-20-12, 15:58
If you do get one, please try and post the answers to the questions I posted. I'm curious but doubtful it's a better option than the Benelli nova or any Rem 870.

JohnnyNumbers
11-20-12, 16:44
If you do get one, please try and post the answers to the questions I posted. I'm curious but doubtful it's a better option than the Benelli nova or any Rem 870.

If I get one it will be at a later time when there is more information available to make a half educated decision. As it is now...I can't seem to find very much, be it reviews, videos or even a gun to look at with my own eyes. I know next to nothing about the Nova, but I agree with you in regards to the 870...plus, the 870 with rail, GR sights, choke...etc...is probably $100 cheaper and well proven.

That said, I bought an 870.

Like you...I'm curious at this point in regards to the P-12 but that's about where it ends. Hopefully sometime in the near future someone will post something useful that can be used in a research capacity.