PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Pro

FMJ5.56
11-18-12, 08:30
I currently have an EoTech xps2 I was curious if yall thought I should buy an Aimpoint Pro from midway, and also exactly how good are the pro's? Thanks

Hmac
11-18-12, 08:37
I have a couple of EXPS3's and an Aimpoint PRO. I like the Eotechs and they've worked well for me, but unless you're really a huge fan of the Eotech reticle, I can't think of any reason NOT to use the PRO, especially at the price. It's a great optic, and for its intended purpose, putting a red dot on the target, every bit as good as any Eotech. I had no trouble transitioning from the Eotech reticle to the 2MOA Aimpoint dot, and I appreciate that changing dot brightness is easier on the the Aimpoint than on the Eotechs.

If your Eotech is working well for you for your purpose, I see no reason to change. The PRO is certainly a competent optic but I wouldn't consider it an upgrade over what you already have (that is an arguable point around here, however).

RMiller
11-18-12, 09:25
The problem with me is I like both. I like the aimpoints for longer shots, and eotechs for close up shooting drills. But I can use either for both tasks. Just preference.

Your gear should be driven by the "mission" or task at hand. Both are great optics. My advice, try both and pick what works best for your type of shooting.

Koshinn
11-18-12, 10:06
The problem with me is I like both. I like the aimpoints for longer shots, and eotechs for close up shooting drills. But I can use either for both tasks. Just preference.

Your gear should be driven by the "mission" or task at hand. Both are great optics. My advice, try both and pick what works best for your type of shooting.

I'm the opposite, I prefer the tiny eotech dot for long range shots, especially with a 3x magnifier. The eotech dot is like 0.5 moa with magnification or something.

Mr.Bickle
11-18-12, 10:14
I went from an Eotech to an Aimpoint PRO. The issue with my Eotech (for me anyway) was that the unit I had burned through batteries. I had one of the older units and I understand that battery life has been greatly improved in the newer models. I decided it was time for change anyway, so I purchased an Aimpoint PRO. I really wanted a T-1 but price was an issue for me. I ultimately decided that I preffered the simple red dot on the PRO to the Eotech, for me it was less 'busy' and I found it easier & faster to put on target. The easily adjustable illumination is also great.The Eotech found its way onto Ebay and I was supprised by how much I got for it, do a quick search to see how much you might get.

Incidentaly, I bought my PRO from Midway as well. They always have had top notch service and the prices are usually reasonable. I also have several family members 'trained' to supply me with gift certificated for birthday/holiday :D

Dsm2nr
11-18-12, 10:21
The only clear cut advantage the PRO has is battery life. Aimpoints are made to be turned on and left on. The PRO even comes with a clear rear lens cap in case you take contact and forget to flip the covers up. Since te red dot is always on, you have something to aim with.

duece71
11-18-12, 10:26
For the price, the PRO is hard to beat.

FMJ5.56
11-18-12, 11:00
I like my eotech just have heard better bout aimpoints

FMJ5.56
11-18-12, 11:01
Ive really been thinking about the CompM4 aimpoint

jet66
11-18-12, 11:13
IMO, if the EOTech is doing what you need, there is no point in changing. There's no point in spending money that didn't need to be spent. (Unless you can sell the XPS without much of a loss.)

I've got an EOTech 516 on one rifle and an Aimpoint PRO on another. I like the bigger ring of the 516 the best of the two reticles, but the fact that the PRO can be left on literally for years is its biggest check in the plus column.

I was considering the M4s at first, but at a savings of close to $300 (and a few ounces) vs. a longer battery life on the practical considerations, I decided the PRO was a better value.

ovlov28
11-18-12, 12:22
My brother has an Eotech on his rifle, and I have a PRO on mine. I like them both in their own respects. I like how quick to pick up the Eotech is when shouldering the gun. The aimpoint is quick as well, but not as "duh" if that make sense. If I could get an XPS style eotech with the battery life of an Aimpoint, I would not hessitate. I want to do a larger bore build next (300blk, or .458 socom, in pistol form untill SBR is available in WA state) and I will likely get an XPS-2 for it. I will keep my Aimpoint on my 5.56 16" carbine no doubt as well. It works well with both eyes open up close and with one eye when at distance. The Eotech works best up close for me, but the hologram gets blurry for me when trying to look out to distance. YMMV.

ovlov28
11-18-12, 12:23

Also this.

BigLarge
11-18-12, 19:45
The only clear cut advantage the PRO has is battery life. Aimpoints are made to be turned on and left on.

This was a HUGE deciding factor for me. For a work/patrol gun, I need as much to be ready on the gun as possible when stuff is getting serious.

If I was on an entry team where planning/staging time is common, i'd be more likely to choose Eotech as, for me, its fov and reticle design is slightly better.

swinokur
11-19-12, 03:06
Seems like the Pro might be a better option for a SHTF gun as you don't have to turn the sight on in the middle of the night if you are in a hurry.But to make a purchase for another reason and use battery life as a large decision point doesn't make sense to me. If I used a single battery EXPS3 for 8 hours a day, the sight battery would last 75 days.

No one complains when an LED weapon light has a battery life of 2 hours do they?

Carry extra batteries. Problem solved for me at any rate. Both my VFG's have spare battery compartments..

Like most firearms stuff, use the one you shoot best with. Shot placement is king.

My .02

Blowby
11-19-12, 09:25
I'm a civi so I don't see the amount of use that most mil/leo members see each year using optics but I attend and participate in at least a dozen classes a year. My observance of failures during training in the optics/rd side of things have been very simple corrections to comical.

I have yet to see an Aimpoint fall into the category of not being ready 100% of the time.

pentosinjunkie
11-19-12, 09:34
This was a HUGE deciding factor for me. For a work/patrol gun, I need as much to be ready on the gun as possible when stuff is getting serious.

If I was on an entry team where planning/staging time is common, i'd be more likely to choose Eotech as, for me, its fov and reticle design is slightly better.

This. +1

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

VIP3R 237
11-19-12, 09:49
I thought i was in the Eotech camp, but after attending a few classes and observing a couple Eotechs fail while no Aimpoints had any issues, i personally would rather trust my life with the Aimpoint.

I think that ovlov28 is on the right track about having an Eotech type reticle with the Aimpoint's incredible durability and battery life combined into one unit.

I was considering the M4s at first, but at a savings of close to $300 (and a few ounces) vs. a longer battery life on the practical considerations, I decided the PRO was a better value.

I came to the same conclusion. Besides the battery life the only advantage with the CompM4 series is the ability to use a AA battery, but the $300 dollar difference can buy a lifetime supply of batteries for my Pro.

TriviaMonster
11-19-12, 10:31
I prefer lithium batteries anyways. Battery rot has killed many a device, even Aimpoints.

The PRO is the real deal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

akioty10
11-23-12, 19:13
I just bought a Aimpoint Pro last month. I love it. For the price I will be buying another one as soon as I can. I paid about 100 more for my other Aimpoint then had to buy a mount too. For me its pro from here on out.

mikaelo
11-26-12, 14:06
Yup, got a PRO from midwayusa as well...make sure you use their $35 off of $300 coupon. At $365 with mount, price was a factor for my choice.

markm
11-26-12, 14:19

The deal breaker for me on the PRO was that I wanted a lower 1/3 mount. A C3 and the mount I wanted was a better buy for me.

BTL BRN
11-26-12, 14:32
They were selling for $340 shipped earlier today, I missed it. :blink:

thegreenman76
11-26-12, 14:34
I think that ovlov28 is on the right track about having an Eotech type reticle with the Aimpoint's incredible durability and battery life combined into one unit.

i agree 100%

Dessert Fox
12-03-12, 17:25
I just got my PRO ($357 shipped from LAPoliceGear during Black Friday) but I don't have a rifle yet. Will a LaRue LT129 be suitable for lower 1/3 CW? Thanks in advance!

mikaelo
12-03-12, 17:53
I find the standard mount that comes with the PRO is slightly below center co-witness so you may want to test it out before buying additional mounts.

Hmac
12-03-12, 18:22
I find the standard mount that comes with the PRO is slightly below center co-witness so you may want to test it out before buying additional mounts.

I agree. I've always been a lower-third guy but I don't find the FSB on my rifle with the PRO to be intrusive in any way. That big-ass knob on the side is initially kind of off-putting to look at, but I've never noticed it in actual use, even with a chest rig with multiple magazines across the front.

VIP3R 237
12-03-12, 20:24
The deal breaker for me on the PRO was that I wanted a lower 1/3 mount. A C3 and the mount I wanted was a better buy for me.

I probably should've gone this way instead purcahsing the Pro, and then buying a ADM lower 1/3 mount.

Dessert Fox
12-04-12, 16:51
Thanks for the feedback. Another thing I noticed is that the 2MOA dot looks more like a star. It kind of flares out, especially at the brightest setting. Now if I take a picture of it with a camera, the dot looks like a perfectly round dot. Looking at it with the naked eye though it looks not so dotty. Is this normal? Do I have a bad copy? Is it just my eyes?

bmg
12-04-12, 16:56
Thanks for the feedback. Another thing I noticed is that the 2MOA dot looks more like a star. It kind of flares out, especially at the brightest setting. Now if I take a picture of it with a camera, the dot looks like a perfectly round dot. Looking at it with the naked eye though it looks not so dotty. Is this normal? Do I have a bad copy? Is it just my eyes?

Your eyes. Your camera picture test proves that for sure. Most of us have similar issues as we get older, I certainly do.

7 RING
12-04-12, 17:01
I noticed my Aimpoint dot looked like a star at higher intensity settings. I thought it was a defect and a call to Aimpoint cleared that up, it's normal. If I turn it up bright enough to see the starburst, it's too bright for shooting in very low light and in daylight it's not that noticeable.

The comments on Aimpoint battery life are on point. A friend took his carbine home after a Run N Gun match and shoved it in the closet without cleaning it. Six months later we were at another Run N Gun match when I heard him say "I'll be damned, I left it on!" (PG Version). When he took his carbine out of the case he noticed that the Aimpoint had been on for six months and it still worked. He intentionally left the Aimpoint on for a few more months before the battery finally gave up the ghost.

jet66
12-04-12, 19:01
It's normal for it to look funky (mine does, at any rate, mild astigmatism) when you are purposely looking at it, but when you're focused on seeing your target while shooting, you won't notice it a bit.

sierra 223
12-04-12, 21:14
I like a lot of things about the Eotech but I really think the PRO is the better sight.

For a patrol rifle of self defense sight the PRO is always on and easier to adjust the brightness.

Eotech from my experience and research has more battery issues, durability problems and doesnt seem to hold its zero as well.

A lot of people have had good luck with the Eotech, a few havent.

We qualify every 6 months, we have quite a few Eotechs and a increasing amount of Aimpoints.

Never seen a problem with the Aimpoints yet but pretty regular I see a Eotech go down due to battery or battery connection problem.

jet66
12-05-12, 06:40
I like my EOT 516, I'll be keeping it on a rifle, but the PRO is hard to beat for the price and features. NV capability, better water resistance depth, less weight, and wicked battery life for less than the cheapest* EOTech? It's a hard value to beat.

*Excluding the rimfire version, but even then you can find deals on the PRO that can beat its price.

RMiller
12-05-12, 08:20
I just got my PRO ($357 shipped from LAPoliceGear during Black Friday) but I don't have a rifle yet. Will a LaRue LT129 be suitable for lower 1/3 CW? Thanks in advance!

It should do that for you.

I agree. I've always been a lower-third guy but I don't find the FSB on my rifle with the PRO to be intrusive in any way. That big-ass knob on the side is initially kind of off-putting to look at, but I've never noticed it in actual use, even with a chest rig with multiple magazines across the front.

That was one thing I feared, that knob catching on everything. Surprising it didn't.

I feel the PRO does offer a lot of aimpoint features for a great price. Even if one doesn't like the mount it can always be swapped out at a later date. It's just a good all around starter optic for somebody on a budget. For the price it doesn't get much better.

markm
12-05-12, 08:24
I probably should've gone this way instead purcahsing the Pro, and then buying a ADM lower 1/3 mount.

I'd like to pick one more C3 up next year some time. Nice little sight.

Magic_Salad0892
12-05-12, 12:37
I'd like to pick one more C3 up next year some time. Nice little sight.

Lol. He's finally coming around.

RV4021
12-05-12, 14:21
I have had my PRO since they were released. Earlier this year I was at a three day carbine course with Bill Jeans and noticed at the end of the first day my dot was dimming. I replaced the battery and life returned to normal. This past September I was training with Frank Proctor and noticed my battery was starting to dim. I replaced the battery and was back in the game. This does not seem normal to me, I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same short battery life. If it matters I am using Energizer batteries.

Thanks,
Robert

VIP3R 237
12-05-12, 21:07
Lol. He's finally coming around.

Hell we re-elected obama, there are no more twinkies, and markm is advocating the use of red dot sights. Maybe the Mayans were on to something about the world ending this month.

Magic_Salad0892
12-06-12, 01:00
Hell we re-elected obama, there are no more twinkies, and markm is advocating the use of red dot sights. Maybe the Mayans were on to something about the world ending this month.

Don't forget that Justin Bieber met the Canadian Prime Minister while being dressed like a gay farmer. **** it. I'm ready for the end of the world. Bring it on.

cop1211
12-06-12, 04:08
With the Pro getting such good reviews, why would anyone go with a comp M2, or M3 series?

Also is the Pro compatible with the same mounts that the comp M2 or M3 can use such as the Larue, Bobro, or ADM?

jet66
12-06-12, 04:38
As far as I know they use the same mount. I picked up an ADM AD-68 with mine at G&R, it appears to be the same mount he offers with the M2/M3 varieties.

RMiller
12-06-12, 08:06
With the Pro getting such good reviews, why would anyone go with a comp M2, or M3 series?

Also is the Pro compatible with the same mounts that the comp M2 or M3 can use such as the Larue, Bobro, or ADM?

Yes, they do. They offer all of there comp series mounts in packages with the pro.

The only reason I have a comp m2 is because I traded an eotech for it which included a larue LT150 mount and frankly I would have made the same trade for the pro.

pentosinjunkie
12-07-12, 10:08

I think you'll likely see the M/ML 2-3 series leave the market in the US. The T1/H1, PRO, and CompM4 series fill all ends of the RDS niche quite well...no reason for Aimpoint to maintain so many dvergent product lines here. There are probably a fair few M2/M3/C3s etc. still in warehouses and dealer shelves, though.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

letsgosteelers
04-06-13, 15:36
Yup, got a PRO from midwayusa as well...make sure you use their $35 off of $300 coupon. At $365 with mount, price was a factor for my choice.

Do you have a code for this discount? I don't see it on their site.

thanks!

Ryno12
04-06-13, 16:32
Do you have a code for this discount? I don't see it on their site.

thanks!

That's a 4 month old post. Might not be available anymore. You may want to pay attention to the date stamps.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

2_wacko
04-08-13, 17:31
I had the EO Tech 517 and loved it, but hated the auto off after 8 Hrs, and battery life. Just ordered a Pro from GR Tactical. Plan on turning it on and leaving it on.