PDA

View Full Version : Colt's Manufacturing Company vs. Colt Defense

Donka
02-16-08, 02:48
Does CMC and CD each have thier own factory, or is there one factory that produces AR's and CMC deals with cilivilian customers and CD deals with LE and Military customers?

RyanB
02-16-08, 02:54
They have one factory with a chain link fence down the center. On one side they make ARs, on the other side they make 1911s. Colts Defence makes all the ARs.

Donka
02-16-08, 02:56
Thanks RyanB

Iraqgunz
02-16-08, 03:06
I could be wrong but I believe that Colt Canada is also making civilian and LE guns due to Colt being so backed up. I'll ask a friend of mine who works there and get back.

Donka
02-16-08, 03:26
I could be wrong but I believe that Colt Canada is also making civilian and LE guns due to Colt being so backed up. I'll ask a friend of mine who works there and get back.

Thanks Iraqgunz, I was curious to what Colt Canada's current role is in the U.S. civilian and LE market.

RyanB
02-16-08, 12:34
Because of impport laws the Colt Canada complete guns aren't supposed to be sold to civilians but I have seen them in civilian hands. All LE models that were imported for LE and diverted.

m700m
02-16-08, 13:47
my Colt ''6920'' is marked on the lower Colt Defence, yet my shooting buddys has Colt Manurfacturing. we bought them at about the same time, they are identecal.:confused: what gives?

scottryan
02-16-08, 22:30
my Colt ''6920'' is marked on the lower Colt Defence, yet my shooting buddys has Colt Manurfacturing. we bought them at about the same time, they are identecal.:confused: what gives?

When did you buy them?

Iraqgunz
02-17-08, 11:23
I got an email from my friend at Colt. He said that he was sure that Colt Canada is making at least the LE guns. How they get into the pipeline, shipped to dealers or whatever he isn't sure. I believe that since Colt Canada is a part of Colt Defense, they may be exempt from the normal provisions of "assault weapons" importation. That's all I know.

Donka
02-17-08, 19:14
I got an email from my friend at Colt. He said that he was sure that Colt Canada is making at least the LE guns. How they get into the pipeline, shipped to dealers or whatever he isn't sure. I believe that since Colt Canada is a part of Colt Defense, they may be exempt from the normal provisions of "assault weapons" importation. That's all I know.

Thanks for the info.

m700m
02-18-08, 15:00
yes scottryan, i purchased about one month ago, and the same for my buddy, but he now tells me that his was sold to him as used, though it looked new to me. so that could be why? Don.........

LTPhoon
02-18-08, 15:30
I have a 6920 marked Colt Defense on the lower with Cerro and Diemaco forgemarks on the upper. It also has two squares forged into the right side of the notched hammer. Is that a Colt hammer or somebody else's to meet some sort of trade requirements?

MMcfpd
02-18-08, 20:28
I'd wondered about their relationship. The 6920 and 6520 I bought a little over a year ago have the Colt "C" on the upper and Colt Defense on the lower, but the floorplates of the magazines all say Colt Manufacturing.

Incidentally, all of the Colt ARs I've seen at the gunshows in the last few months have the Diemaco "D" on the upper.

Northbilly
02-18-08, 20:58
Any chance we could see some pictures that show the Diemaco vs Colt manufacturing and proof marks ?

I'm a hair away from buying a new Colt 6920 and would really like it to be 100% Colt.

Thanks - northbilly

MMcfpd
02-18-08, 22:21
The Colt mark is just a very plain "C" above the forward assist; the Diemaco stylized "D" (http://www.fulton-armory.com/Diemaco1.jpg) (only picture of it I found) will be in approximately the same place, in lieu of the "C".

BillC
02-18-08, 23:36
Here's some markings on my 6920. It's marked Colt Defense.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/BillC_album/DSC00214.jpg

Iraqgunz
02-19-08, 02:28
But, wouldn't the large "D" shape to the right indicate that it is made by Diemaco since that is their marking?

Robb Jensen
02-19-08, 04:14
That marking by the rear sight is the forging company (Cardinal, in this case), the one to the left of the Diemaco marking is Cerro Forging mark.

TY44934
02-19-08, 13:35
That marking by the rear sight is the forging company (Cardinal, in this case), the one to the left of the Diemaco marking is Cerro Forging mark.

Excellent point. Those marks are left after the raw forging operation and such forgings are not under any import restrictions as they are not even considered gun parts at that stage (each raw foring weighs a couple of pounds); even completed Dimeco stripped uppers could be imported for civilian sale/rifles. The restriction is only supposed to apply to completed recievers and completed barrels for "assault rifles."

As for barrels, it might be possible that Dimeco is importing semi-complete barrel "blanks" and Colt is finishing them in the USA - that appears to be how Sig is managing to use hammer forged barrels on their US made Sig556. I am not saying that Canadian barrels have not been "diverted" - I personally believe such things are possible - but I have no info on whether it has happened or not.

hellbound
02-20-08, 14:30
My Colt Defense rollmarked MT6400C came with a Diemaco Anchor Harvey upper receiver.

gyp_c2
02-20-08, 19:50
I'm a hair away from buying a new Colt 6920 and would really like it to be 100% Colt.

...is that even possible anymore?
Is there any major manufacturer that still makes 100% of their parts in house?
I hope so, but I find it hard to believe with so much being farmed out these days...anyone know for sure? ...if so, which ones?
http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

BillC
02-20-08, 21:09
...is that even possible anymore?
Is there any major manufacturer that still makes 100% of their parts in house?
I hope so, but I find it hard to believe with so much being farmed out these days...anyone know for sure? ...if so, which ones?
http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

Nothing that I know is 100% made in house that has multiple components. From toys to computers..

RyanB
02-21-08, 00:47
Colt makes a fraction of their own parts but everything that goes into their rifle is carefully selected.

Robb Jensen
02-21-08, 04:51
Colt makes a fraction of their own parts but everything that goes into their rifle is carefully selected.

Exactly. Colt makes a hand full of it's own parts. Let's say (a fictional company) Huckleberry Machine makes Colts parts for Colt and then sells it's own parts under it's own name. Do you honestly think this are of the same exact tolerances as the Colt parts they make?

For example I'm just pulling numbers out of the air here and it's all just fictional. Say Colt wants all it's carriers keys have to be within 3/1000ths (or less) for straightness and have to be lets say 58 on the Rockwell hardness. Where do you think the carrier keys go that don't meet Colts straightness and hardness?

An educated guess would say they're sold under some other name.

markm
02-21-08, 07:34
An educated guess would say they're sold under some other name.

I doubt they're thrown into the trash. ;)

LTPhoon
02-21-08, 09:21
I have seen it suggested that Colt Defense LE/civilian rifles (such as my 6920..and yours) are not the equal of their government counterparts somehow. Is there anything to this? If so, in what way would they be different? Built up out of their reject pile maybe?

M4builder
02-21-08, 14:55
I have seen it suggested that Colt Defense LE/civilian rifles (such as my 6920..and yours) are not the equal of their government counterparts somehow. Is there anything to this? If so, in what way would they be different? Built up out of their reject pile maybe?

Colt has one mfg. line for gov't/LE/civilian AR type weapons. They all roll through the same machines & QC personnel to get to shipping. The other line is pistols, those guys are kept on the other side of a chain link fence.

The Colt's Defense/Colt's Mfg. are separate in name only, and in liability. you know, "2 is 1, 1 is none", a good philosophy is this age.

m700m
02-21-08, 15:40
yes LTPhoon, they are different, in that my LE6920 has a block over safety(sear block) and non mil, fire control pins. as far as quality, colts always look top notch to me, i am sure the upper and lower forgings are equal. someone with more knowledge may chime in. there is on this sight an AR comparison chart that will explain the deference between (commercial AR's), though they are slightly deferent than a mil, spec, M4 other than the obvious :) . Don..........

R Moran
02-21-08, 21:24
I had a post awhile back regarding the 2 Colts.

According to a rep I had e-mail comms with:

They are two seperate companies.

Colt Defense manufacturers Match Target rifles for Colt Manufacturing, and with the exception of certain features, like collapsible stocks, flash suppresors, bayonet lugs, & 1x9 barrel, they are the same guns.

Colt Manufacturing continues with the ban compliant guns, due to the states that still have a ban, and they don't want to maintain two lines.

Bob

Beat Trash
02-22-08, 16:17

In December of 2006, I ordered a LE6920 from Phoenix Dist. The gun I received was made in Canada. I ordered a second one from them in January of 07, this one was made in the USA. Confused, I called Colt and asked what was going on, as at the time, I had no idea Colt had a Canadian plant.

The rep I talked to on the phone stated the LE6920's made in Canada are supposed to be sold to fill Departmental orders. Individual Officer purchases are supposed to be filled by US made LE6920's.

The only difference I can tell between the US and Canadian made guns is the Canadian made gun uses a laser etching to mark the barrel (marked "CC MP 1/7 NATO") vs. the US made gun which stamps the info on the barrel (marked C MP ). Also, the Canadian made gun was not packed in as much goo as the US made gun, when shipped in the brown boxes form the factory.

Both are "keepers".