PDA

View Full Version : ar parts

kiki
11-18-12, 16:21
what are the most common parts that break on ars.....im buying extra parts to have incase of breakage in field....so i dont have to run home to fix.....and ruin my day shooting....

Hmac
11-18-12, 16:54
What brand of AR? Some brands have weak points that others don't.

kiki
11-18-12, 17:10
i have 2....colt 6920 and bushmaster xm15....neither have given me problems yet...i worry more about bushy than colt honestly...but 500 rnds thru colt only and bushy has over 3000....

Hmac
11-18-12, 17:18
Yeah, the Bushy is likely on borrowed time. You might need a somewhat larger parts bin for that one.

Focus on the BCG. An extra one in the box isn't unwise, along with some extra extractor parts (extractor/spring/insert/O-ring), gas rings, firing pin.

AMMOTECH
11-18-12, 17:20
A good place to find that kind of info to read the "After Action Reports" (AAR's) in the training section here and over on Lightfighter.

Donut
11-18-12, 18:38
Brownells has a few replacement parts packs:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/parts-kits/ar-15-m16-parts-kit-prod41458.aspx?psize=96

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/parts-kits/ar-15-field-parts-kit-prod342.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/parts-kits/ar-15-repair-kit-prod24959.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/parts-kits/dpms-ar-15-ultimate-repair-kit-prod5564.aspx

kiki
11-18-12, 18:46
my bushmaster is only the lower now, recently i replaced upper with dsa zm4 flat top...but i did keep the bushy bcg in it...thinking of replacing bolt with a daniel defense bolt....gave upper to friend for his build..thats why i was wondering if bolt on bushy was nearing its end..not sure how good there bolts are made...

fdxpilot
11-18-12, 22:02
my bushmaster is only the lower now, recently i replaced upper with dsa zm4 flat top...but i did keep the bushy bcg in it...thinking of replacing bolt with a daniel defense bolt....gave upper to friend for his build..thats why i was wondering if bolt on bushy was nearing its end..not sure how good there bolts are made...

Bushy or not, using a well used bolt on a new barrel is not a great idea.

kmrtnsn
11-18-12, 23:17
Please OP, type coherent sentences. You get what you ask for, this isn't Twitter and in the end it comes down to respect to those you are asking questions of. That out of the way now, let's get to your question.

What fails? In my experience that is charging handles (bent), followed by broken hammer springs. After those I have seen improperly installed disconnector springs fail. These things are quickly fixed in the field if you have a repair spring kit. I have never seen a pin fail on a semi-auto gun. Having an H buffer in the bag is useful for the guy running an H2 on the line and Wolf ammo or some other such mismatch. An AR wrench is very handy to have in your range box too. Iraqgunz has much more field experience than I do in this regard, he may chime in and impart some wisdom if you promise to type a coherent sentence.

mikelowrey
11-18-12, 23:51
Please OP, type coherent sentences. You get what you ask for, this isn't Twitter and in the end it comes down to respect to those you are asking questions of. That out of the way now, let's get to your question.

What fails? In my experience that is charging handles (bent), followed by broken hammer springs. After those I have seen improperly installed disconnector springs fail. These things are quickly fixed in the field if you have a repair spring kit. I have never seen a pin fail on a semi-auto gun. Having an H buffer in the bag is useful for the guy running an H2 on the line and Wolf ammo or some other such mismatch. An AR wrench is very handy to have in your range box too. Iraqgunz has much more field experience than I do in this regard, he may chime in and impart some wisdom if you promise to type a coherent sentence.

That would be nice to hear his opinion also.

Merle
11-19-12, 01:25
Even your signature is written in ****ed up grammar.

Iraqgunz
11-19-12, 02:18
:sad:. First off. Yes, it would be nice if you could at least type in coherent English that makes sense. Otherwise it seems as if you are lazy and don't care. In that case this thread is wasting time.

I know for a fact that there have been several threads asking the same question. Inevitably there is no 100% solid answer. Anything can break at any time. Your concern for the Colt with xxx rounds is actually backwards. I would be much more concerned with the BM based on what I have seen over the years.

Often times parts break or get damaged due to shit quality or people making modifications without understanding how to do so properly.

For example; people removing the pistol grip to put the flavor of the month on and they lose the detent and spring.

Or they remove the buffer tube trying to install the latest and greatest single point plate and lose or damage the buffer detent pin. They will often times dick up the threads or someone thing else in the process.

I would keep at a minimum a spare bolt assembly, at least one spring for the front and rear lower pins, selector lever, trigger, hammer and disconnector. I would also get a spare of all the standard roll pins on your carbine and rifle.

If you are talking long term then I would probably buy a complete FCG (minus the selector), a spare buffer spring (or get a Springco) plus all of the above. I would also look at at least or two gas tubes as well. You could probably get all of what you need and stick it in a plastic parts container from Walmart for less than 150.00.

You should also invest in the basic tools that will allow you to secure the weapon in a vise, a barrel wrench and a hammerhead in order to remove and tighten the castle nut and flash hider.

Duffy
11-19-12, 09:28
My experience:

Take down pin spring, they can easily get mangled if the user isn't paying attention.

Selector detent (it can and does wear, even if slowly) and detent spring.

Cotter pin (firing pin retaining pin).

Spare bolt.

Wait a minute, I think I just mirrored some of what Iraggunz said! :D

kiki
11-19-12, 14:16
Just ordered daniel defense bolt and some parts kit...fp, buffer spring, etc......

kmrtnsn
11-19-12, 19:19
Just ordered daniel defense bolt and some parts kit...fp, buffer spring, etc......

Seriously?