PDA

View Full Version : Black Rain Ordnance 308 , Not 5.56

Evergreen
11-18-12, 17:26
Any opinions about the Black Rain 308 Fallout and Norguard rifles?

Black Rain Ordnance (http://blackrainordnance.com/rifles308.php)

I have heard lot of people knocking them in the 5.56 caliber, because of their price and gimmicky finishes. Most people I have read on forums say to buy a LaRue or Noveske for the money. And, I, perhaps can agree with them about the 5.56 caliber. However, with the 308 brands that Black Rain is producing, it appears they are a good $1000 cheaper than even the lowest price LaRue 308s and still cheaper than LMTs. It appears from reading the specs that they contain very high quality components and are well constructed, compared to the cheaper and more mass produced DPMS rifles. They are actually only about $500 or $600 more than similar DPMS models, but seem to offer much higher quality barrel, rail, and receiver.. The Fallout model also includes a muzzle break and fluted barrel.

I'm wondering for all the extras is it worth an extra $500-600 for one of these over a DPMS or Armalite? The fact it uses DPMS mags is a plus, as that saves me $100 on mags, which I already have a few and can buy magpuls. If I buy an Armalite, I will probably spend at least $200-300 in mags.

I'm interested to hear people's opinions on the Black Rain 308... Please don't be confused with the 5.56 models. The closeness in price between 5.56 and 308 models I also find intriguing whereas LaRue/Noveske have major price differences jumping from 5.56 to 308.

RD62
11-18-12, 19:56
I dont know jack about Black Rain or their 5.56 or .308 rifles, but in regards to the Armalite they have a new model that takes PMags if you didn't know.

As an MWS owner, I'd go with the Armalite out of those interested.

a0cake
11-19-12, 23:30
Mega is about to come out with some really slick receiver sets in .308. I bet you can build something with one of them (or on the current MATEN platform) with a quality Rainier Arms barrel and other quality components for the same or less than these BRO guns, which are of questionable quality.

Evergreen
11-19-12, 23:52
Thanks for the advice, a0cake.. I have decided to go with the Armalite A10T for now and upgrade it to a SASS like rifle over time.. Your advice is sound though and I may eventually think about building an AR10 using good quality receiver and Rainier Arms barrel as you say. Considering, I live 15 min from Rainier Arms and they have a great reputation, I would love to support that company. I am going to check out their shop just for the heck of it in the next few days.

I'm agreeing that the Black Rain is looking overpriced now that I have taken a closer look. It appears the Armalite SASS offers a much nicer package for the same or less money than the Black Rain.

TacticalSledgehammer
11-26-12, 06:33
Mega is about to come out with some really slick receiver sets in .308. I bet you can build something with one of them (or on the current MATEN platform) with a quality Rainier Arms barrel and other quality components for the same or less than these BRO guns, which are of questionable quality.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they come out with. I was disappointed to see them cancel their current monolithic platform.

Noodles
11-26-12, 13:11

This. I love the new attachment style they've shown more than the monolithic. Waiting for this in 556 myself.

Littlelebowski
11-26-12, 13:19
I know a pretty well known SME (on another forum) who tells me that the PredOBR he is shooting is a legitimate 5 shot .5MOA at a 100 yard rifle. Couple that with the not much more expensive price ($3370) and I call the Larue a no brainer. If you're going to spend over $2k on a .308 rifle, why **** around with an unknown rifle to save a few hundred?

Iraqgunz
11-26-12, 15:51
I have heard the same from another user as well and I agree 100%.

I know a pretty well known SME (on another forum) who tells me that the PredOBR he is shooting is a legitimate 5 shot .5MOA at a 100 yard rifle. Couple that with the not much more expensive price ($3370) and I call the Larue a no brainer. If you're going to spend over $2k on a .308 rifle, why **** around with an unknown rifle to save a few hundred?