PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 SPX 3inch Magnum Malfunction

RUDY850
11-18-12, 17:33
had the SPX out today and had my nephew shooting while I filmed him.
the video shows 3inch buckshot. turkey loads, slugs, and birdshot

heres the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Del0MD9CYE

Anyone know what would be causing this

DMR
11-20-12, 14:25
Did your uncle replace the mag spring with a "stronger" after market spring?

Noodles
11-20-12, 15:51
Yes, that issue can directly be tracked back to the fact that the shotgun is a 930 SPX. ;)

I'm not actually joking though. There were three 930s in my shotgun class and I saw all three fail at some point. Two completely shit the bed. One broken trigger or something and the other had a failure in the gas system that caused this exact issue. Two of the owners sold theirs after the class.

You could probably mess around with it and get it running, but gas system issues are not the only problems with that gun so I'd bail on it and get a used Benelli.

Edit: I could post the link to my AAR where the owners of the 930s posted in the comments regarding how glad they were to be selling theirs if requested

Confed-rifleman
05-04-13, 20:34
Had same issue with my 930 waterfowl. Just bought it last weekend. No changed parts, all factory. Federal 1oz #8 ran fine. Same for Remington managed recoil slugs. Winchester 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz #4 high-velocity steel choked just like the 3". Taking it back to the dealer this week.

Don't give me the "it's a Mossberg what do you expect. Only Benelli's actually work" b.s. Some of us can't afford $1500 for a shotgun then several hundred for a second barrel because we need it to do multiple duties. I don't care what it looks like, I don't buy used guns unless I know the seller personally.

RUDY850
05-04-13, 21:44
sorry forgot about this post.

I sent the 930 back to Mossberg for repair.They picked up the shipping both ways.

I had asked in the letter I included if they would let me know what they did to fix it.When I got it back in about 3 weeks there was no mention of what they did to it.But it was fixed.

I sold it and got a Benelli M2

The spx was nice but the Benelli is way better

Noodles
05-04-13, 23:28
I sold it and got a Benelli M2

I promise you, that you will NEVER regret that. If you let every 1100/1187/Saiga/930/SX3/whatever owner have a Benelli for just one week each, it would destroy the auto shotgun market ;)

CDR_Glock
05-19-13, 00:54
I never had an issue with my SPX. Because it was and still is reliable, I dragged my heels on acquiring a Benelli. I just bought a Benelli M2 but I'm also going to keep the SPX.

The one I bought was on display at the store. I have run slug, bird and buck, as well as PDX1 and Magnums. Maybe I just got lucky.

KiloSierra
06-08-13, 14:12
I had the same problem with mine when I first got it. Cleaning out the grease from slot the shell stop's in fixed it.

Confed-rifleman
06-09-13, 00:51
Brought mine in to have it check by the gunsmith where I bought it. It's been over a month and they haven't even looked at it yet. I clean/re-lube everything before shooting the first time.

mig1nc
06-09-13, 05:29
I guess this thread is pretty much done, but for the record I've put my 930 PF through a class and a couple of 3-gun matches and never had a malfunction after the initial cleaning.

Before the initial cleaning I would occasionally have a miss feed that caused the round to deform. Or perhaps the round was already deformed, I don't know for sure. It was only with Federal Champion and everything I own hates that shit, 9mm, 40S&W, 12ga.

I actually shot a not-so-gently-used Bennelli M2 before the 930 and was unimpressed, though I will say that it never malfunctioned. Even with Federal Champion.

KiloSierra
06-09-13, 11:31
The 12ga makes everything I've tried it in choke. Including a 870 that never choked on anything else. Everyone else I know has the same problem with it.

rodfather45
06-11-13, 15:54
Had same issue with my 930 waterfowl. Just bought it last weekend. No changed parts, all factory. Federal 1oz #8 ran fine. Same for Remington managed recoil slugs. Winchester 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz #4 high-velocity steel choked just like the 3". Taking it back to the dealer this week.

Don't give me the "it's a Mossberg what do you expect. Only Benelli's actually work" b.s. Some of us can't afford $1500 for a shotgun then several hundred for a second barrel because we need it to do multiple duties. I don't care what it looks like, I don't buy used guns unless I know the seller personally.

I bought the 930 combo, right out of the box, FTF with anything. Sent it back and they replaced the gas piston. I haven't had any problems yet out of about 100 rounds of buckshot, 50 bird and 50 slugs. Remington, Winchester.

Confed-rifleman
06-25-13, 14:09
Just got mine back this past weekend. They said they replaced the shell lifter. Ran everything I had on hand through it. 1oz game & target loads, 3" Black Clouds, reduced recoil slugs and 2oz 3 inch turkey loads with no issues.

signkutter
07-15-13, 20:42
Just got mine back this past weekend. They said they replaced the shell lifter. Ran everything I had on hand through it. 1oz game & target loads, 3" Black Clouds, reduced recoil slugs and 2oz 3 inch turkey loads with no issues.

Yep same here. Mine hasn't failed yet after around 500 (max) rounds. From Whitebox Winchester target loads to full power slugs... ate it all and smiled. I can hold a around 6 inch (8 round) group with Wichester SuperX rifled slugs at 50 to 60 yards ( i dont know if that is good... but its good enough to bust a melon off/cave in a chest if I had to).

reading all the complaints on the 930 models... I may have gotten lucky... but I am cool with that ( and I still want a Benelli M-2)