M16 A4 stripped upper from Palmetto
CMMG Lower which I replaced the trigger group with a DD one
Rainier Arms 16" 5.56 Select barrel, 1/8 twist, mid length gas
Rainier Arms XTC
Rainier Arms Evolution FF rail, 15"
BCM low pro gas block
BCM Gunfighter charging handle, large latch
Magpul front and rear sights
R Guns NiB BCG ( I know, I know. The wife bought it for me so the plan is to try it out after replacing the extractor with a BCM unit and when the DD bolt comes in, I will use it.

Wanting to put a scope on it though I havent decided which one yet but then I keep eyeballing my brother-in-law's EOtech.......

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/Rico762/100_6122.jpg
http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/Rico762/100_6124.jpg
http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/Rico762/100_6126.jpg
http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/Rico762/100_6127.jpg

Iraqgunz
11-19-12, 03:22
I would get an Aimpoint. Eotechs are just not up to par in my book.

snowdog650
11-19-12, 12:16

Agreed. Tough to beat the Aimpoint PRO as far as value.

86K5
11-22-12, 12:42
Took it out this morning to put 60 rounds down range, mainly for a function check. Gun fired perfectly with only one malfunction. I was using a 20 rnd Pmag and it would not hold the bolt back on the last round. Empty mag and drawing the bolt back it would lock. Load only 2 rounds and it would lock some of the time but with a full mag it would not. Tried a 30 rnd Pmag and it locked back fine. Not ruling out a buffer/spring issue but 98% sure its the mag. 20 rounds of the 60 was Wolf and no issues there either. More to come....

Delta_co
11-22-12, 13:15

+1 for Aimpoint. I have an ML2 and love it.

86K5
12-10-12, 20:02
So, after I loctited everything in place I'm a little bit concerned. I tightened down the screws for the handguard as much as I could without too much fear of stripping them but I feel its not tight enough. It seems that the handguard is capable of moving with pressure. Not deflecting, it doesn't move back on its own, but after a while of sitting on its side the barrel will be off center and I can put opposing pressure with my fingers and thumb between the barrel and handguard and move the handguard back. Should I tighten it more or is this normal to an extent with a ff rail?

FJ540MN
12-10-12, 21:16
Somethings not right. The point of the tube is to provide a rigid mounting/gripping surface that's isolated from the barrel. It shouldn't move visibly - but it prevents the stresses applied from moving the barrel at all. You should be able to tug on a sling attached to the hand guard and not affect anything that doesn't instantly spring back to where it started when you let off.

The_Hammer_Man
12-11-12, 01:21
Remove your tube

reverse your heat sink slabs...open hole is supposed to be on the bottom not the top. and they are supposed to touch, under the barrel nut, or nearly so.

reseat your tube and retighten... REAR SCREW FIRST!!!!

For further info about installation go to Samson's website they have an instructional video.

In 9 out of 10 instances with the EVO tubes "tube wobble" is usually due to not installing the heat sinks properly.

Iraqgunz
12-11-12, 02:15
I believe you are right. I just did another early last week and it as was as solid as the others.

Remove your tube

reverse your heat sink slabs...open hole is supposed to be on the bottom not the top. and they are supposed to touch, under the barrel nut, or nearly so.

reseat your tube and retighten... REAR SCREW FIRST!!!!

For further info about installation go to Samson's website they have an instructional video.

In 9 out of 10 instances with the EVO tubes "tube wobble" is usually due to not installing the heat sinks properly.

The_Hammer_Man
12-11-12, 02:38
thanks IG :)

this particular "lesson" is still pretty fresh for me due to the fact that I made this mistake earlier this week on a customer build.

It was one of those moments where you face palm yourself and wish you were still flexible enough to kick your own ass.

The really irritating aspect is due to the fact that this is about my 12th build using a Samson EVO.

Note to self: Don't work on customer weps before coffee.

RMiller
12-11-12, 10:45
Another vote for an aimpoint. Pro, or a comp series. Nice build though!

86K5
12-11-12, 17:26
I have the heat sink in the proper position. I went ahead and loosened the handguard up again and tightened it down doing the rear screw first. I went a LOT tighter than I had before. I think that my problem was it wasn't tight enough. Thanks for the replies guys.

packers
12-27-12, 17:21
86K5 nice rifle! I am currently work on my first build as well. I might start thread of my first build.

FJ540MN
12-27-12, 19:10
Good looking gun. Forgot to mention that before. ;)

86K5
12-31-12, 17:09
Just ordered 150 rounds of Black Hills 77gr match ammo with the gift cards my guys at work bought for me. BUT.... here's the dilemma. While I love this upper so far, a buddy of mine who I sold my second build to was thinking about selling the upper from that gun and trying to get a more "precision" upper. That upper I built with A DD CHF 1/7 16" bbl, BCM BCG, F marked front sight and a DD A1.5 rear, Magpul MOE handguard. I really loved that gun. Should I try and trade him or should I run with this? I don't think there is much difference between the 1/7 vs 1/8. Both are 16" barrels. This one is mid-length and the DD is carbine.
I'd just build another but with things the way they are, that's a ways off.

Thoughts?

This is my second build before the DD A1.5

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/Rico762/100_5456.jpg

clmarshall21
12-31-12, 17:24
Very nice build, bro! That XTC is quite obnoxious though to say the least. I made the mistake of popping three shots off at a varmint without my ear pros once and my ears were buzzing for nearly a week. I swapped it for a Rainier Arms XD flash hider, which I like quite well.

86K5
12-31-12, 17:26
Very nice build, bro! That XTC is quite obnoxious though to say the least. I made the mistake of popping three shots off at a varmint without my ear pros once and my ears were buzzing for nearly a week. I swapped it for a Rainier Arms XD flash hider, which I like quite well.

Tell me about it. I made the mistake of popping off one round without my ear plug in and I swear it was borderline painful....

The_Hammer_Man
01-08-13, 00:19
I've had good luck running 77 smk rounds out of my 16" midlength 1:8 barrels. Granted they might be a little iffy beyond 500 yards but, if I'm going to be shooting that far out I'll be dragging out my SPR anyway :)