PDA

View Full Version : My 6.8 kill on a Mtn Lion

aziator
11-18-12, 21:30
I bought a Mountain Lion tag a couple months back, just in case I was calling predators in and happened to see one. Last Monday I was out deer hunting. I was glassing the side of a mountain from the canyon and caught some movement way up high at 0730. I pinpointed the movement and was amazed to see a lion. I immediately got the rangefinder out and she was at 355 yards, still as a statue looking below her. I was hunting with my Daniel Defense 6.8SPC and had shot out to 400 at the range the week before so I knew I was capable of hitting that far. The lion was about 400 feet above me. I took the shot and watched her through the scope as she jumped straight up then started to tumble down the mountain. The shot went in her left front shoulder and exited the middle of the right ribcage. She was dead before she hit the mountain but rolled about 50 yards.

I let her lay for about an hour. I was sure that the shot was good and the fall would have broke my neck but the last thing I wanted was a pissed off cat. I would guess that she weighed about 150-160 pounds before field dressing. I didn't have anyone out in the field with me so no pics in the wild. Once I got home we took pics and I called a buddy that traps and he helped me skin her out the right way. I am going to have a rug made and send the skull to a place called Western Skulls in Phoenix that uses flesh eating beetles to clean the skull. The meat is all packaged up in the freezer. I haven't tried any yet but I hear it is one of the best wild meats out there. The meat was white, like pork. I figure the lion eats all the things I like to eat (deer, rabbit, etc) so it must be good ;D

Here are a few pics. You can bet that I will buy another tag come January first though I think I used up all my luck last week!

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z305/aziator/IMG_4091.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z305/aziator/IMG_4101.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z305/aziator/IMG_4102.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z305/aziator/IMG_4103.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z305/aziator/IMG_4104.jpg

SpankMonkey
11-18-12, 21:39
Wow! great shot. Good looking cat.

How excited did you get just before the shot? What rd did you use?

aziator
11-18-12, 21:41
Wow! great shot. Good looking cat.

How excited did you get just before the shot? What rd did you use?

I was a little excited, took a few deep breaths to calm down. I was hunting with Hornady TAP. I have taken multiple coyotes and hog with it with great results. I almost took my 300BLK that day, glad that I didn't.

SpankMonkey
11-18-12, 21:49
I was a little excited, took a few deep breaths to calm down. I was hunting with Hornady TAP. I have taken multiple coyotes and hog with it with great results. I almost took my 300BLK that day, glad that I didn't.

That had to be great feeling when you realized you scored a good hit. Glad you left the 300 at home. Last thing you want is a pissed off big cat after you.

Make sure and post some pics when you get the skull back. Great looking kitty.

aziator
11-18-12, 21:50
That had to be great feeling when you realized you scored a good hit. Glad you left the 300 at home. Last thing you want is a pissed off big cat after you.

Make sure and post some pics when you get the skull back. Great looking kitty.

I will, I need to show the skull to game a fish tomorrow then I will take it to Phoenix after the Thanksgiving holiday. I have a crazy pic of the skull with just meat and eyeballs, just something to freak people out.

ST911
11-18-12, 21:51
Looks like a 90-120lb, but it's hard to tell. Their bodies are long, but thin.

The meat is lean, white, and delicious. It prepares and eats like pork. Be careful not to overcook it. Roasts, steaks, pull it for BBQ, cut it for kebabs with onions and asparagus. Yum.

aziator
11-18-12, 21:54
thanks for the tips, I had heard to treat it like pork. I may do some pulled BBQ but I don't want to overpower the meat with tons of sauce. My oldest is 9 and she thinks that deer heart is the best thing in the world so she is looking forward to this.

ST911
11-18-12, 22:00
thanks for the tips, I had heard to treat it like pork. I may do some pulled BBQ but I don't want to overpower the meat with tons of sauce. My oldest is 9 and she thinks that deer heart is the best thing in the world so she is looking forward to this.

Use very little sauce, or a dry rub. Excellent with some jerk spice, too.

Darn...I'm hungry again.

aziator
11-18-12, 22:05
Use very little sauce, or a dry rub. Excellent with some jerk spice, too.

Darn...I'm hungry again.

I have just the rub, called Jamaican Firewalk, as soon as I get back from the dunes I will cook it up!

SeriousStudent
11-18-12, 22:18
Wow, great work!

Thanks for posting those pics, too. We get some silly city folks around here that think a mountain lion is just a large house cat. Those teeth and claws prove otherwise.

Let us know how the dishes turn out, I'd be very interested in your results.

aziator
11-18-12, 22:40
Wow, great work!

Thanks for posting those pics, too. We get some silly city folks around here that think a mountain lion is just a large house cat. Those teeth and claws prove otherwise.

Let us know how the dishes turn out, I'd be very interested in your results.

I know people that have lost both pets and livestock to these cats. We had one that was sitting over a playground watching kids play...

SeriousStudent
11-18-12, 23:15
I grew up on a cattle ranch in West Texas. We lost cattle and horses to cats several times. And that scenario you described is what really scares me, a mountain lion getting close to a playground.

And people wonder why we carry guns. And spare mags.... sigh.

Shokr21
11-18-12, 23:43
Nice shooting and a good looking cat to boot!

Cincinnatus
11-18-12, 23:55
I always love seeing a fruitful hunt, and that one is one to remember! Thanks for sharing.

jmnielsen
11-19-12, 09:12
That's awesome! I did not know that they are good eating, that's interesting. Hopefully I can try some someday.

Never seen a big cat in the wild here in Nebraska. I have come across fresh tracks and scat, when I was predator calling. A hunting buddy of mine that works for the Game and Parks here thinks they will be opening up a season with limited tags here in the near future.

ImBroke
11-19-12, 11:59
Great shot and good on you for only taking the shot when you know for a fact you could do it b/c you had practiced at that distance.

warpigM-4
11-19-12, 12:13
very nice shot man Beautiful Cat i would Love to have that skull

Texas42
11-19-12, 16:22
Very beautiful animal.

You have lots of Mountain lions in AZ?

Good shooting.

FlyingHunter
11-20-12, 08:02
Congratulations! Awesome shot. Are you going to get a full taxidermy mount? I was fortunate enough to take a Mtn. Lion some years ago ( with a Colt Commander .45 ) and have thoroughly enjoyed the full mount and the memories it brings. Gulp, I know it cost an ARM and a leg.

SpankMonkey
11-20-12, 08:41
Congratulations! Awesome shot. Are you going to get a full taxidermy mount? I was fortunate enough to take a Mtn. Lion some years ago ( with a Colt Commander .45 ) and have thoroughly enjoyed the full mount and the memories it brings. Gulp, I know it cost an ARM and a leg.

Come on, you have to tell us this story.

Menace
11-20-12, 09:04
I wanna see the pics of the skinned out skull

FlyingHunter
11-20-12, 18:20
OK, Certainly don't want to hijack the superb accomplishment of this thread starter, but someone asked about the Mtn. Lion w a Colt Commander .45. Short story...Guided hunt in Nevada, deep snow at high elevation for 1 week following dogs. On the 5th day, we cut a solid track and followed the trail to where the dogs had bayed this cat. Probably 30 ft up. One round from the 230gr Gold Dot, dropped like a rock. Here's the full mount in my den, I encourage you to consider the full mount.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-21-12, 08:58
What an awesome find out in the wild, Ive searched and searched for the lion on our property, the most Ive ever found was his/her bed. I had no clue that the meat was good to eat, fascinating.

ccoker
11-27-12, 08:06
very cool

aziator
11-27-12, 08:09
Flyinghunter, you have had me looking at mounts over the last couple of days, It is pricey for sure. I may just keep the pelt in the freezer until I can scrape together some coin for the mount. The only hard thing is being active duty Army next time I move I may not have space to display it.

Littlelebowski
11-27-12, 08:12
Just wanted to say that this is a great story that adds to the community.

soulezoo
11-27-12, 11:16
Hey, great story, great shot, nice pics. Thanks for sharing. A person could spend their whole life in the mtns and never see one.

I have to echo the earlier post about silly city folk. They really have no idea. Most are wolf lovers too. I live in the mtns and over the years have seen one on two occasions (don't know if same cat or not)... at oh-dark thirty he woke up the chickens trying for a midnight snack. I only got a fast glimpse as he dashed through the security lights both times. The wifes' Pomeranian was GTG and ready to have at him. My Airedale (120lbs) wanted a piece of him too :nono:... thank god for the second story balcony!

Again to the OP, nice bag!

usmcvet
11-28-12, 20:33
Thanks for sharing your story. Great job, congratulations.

Inuvik
11-29-12, 00:52
I used to work with a fellow who was considered one of the better lion depredation hunters in the nation. The stories he can tell about his experiences with cats are unbelievable. It seems like every successful lion hunt involves a great story, and lots of memories.

The folks I know like to smoke most of the lion meat they get. The samples I have tried were excellent, and like previously mentioned, similar to pork.

NWPilgrim
11-29-12, 03:53
Great shot! 400 yds plus 400 ft elevation and spot on hit. Impressive effectiveness of the 6.8 at that range as well. While the lion is thin skinned and all I would imagine it still takes a well placed shot with decent penetration and expansion similar as on a human to bring it down. Good hunt!

Texas42
11-29-12, 04:48
Flyinghunter, you have had me looking at mounts over the last couple of days, It is pricey for sure. I may just keep the pelt in the freezer until I can scrape together some coin for the mount. The only hard thing is being active duty Army next time I move I may not have space to display it.

Wait till you get married. :)

My wife's worst nightmare involves having a beloved stuffed animal. (example a good friend of mine shot an Eland that walked on his place from one of the exotic ranches. .. . . its basically a cow with horns. . . . they decorate it at Christmas time. So far, I haven't bagged any trophy animals.

I'd save my pennies have get the mount I wanted, even if that involves waiting.

ST911
11-29-12, 09:03
Great shot! 400 yds plus 400 ft elevation and spot on hit. Impressive effectiveness of the 6.8 at that range as well. While the lion is thin skinned and all I would imagine it still takes a well placed shot with decent penetration and expansion similar as on a human to bring it down. Good hunt!

In addition to the obvious big game loads, other rifle and handgun duty loads from the recommended list do well too.

aziator
12-04-12, 18:49
Just an update, cooked some of the lion up on Sunday, Bacon wrapped in a frying pan. I have to say it was pretty dang good. I don't think it is the BEST game dish I have ever had but it was a great meal. Shared it with some co-workers and they loved it too.