PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6530

Dcr5595
11-19-12, 09:06
Hello All - I am new to this forum but have already found a wealth of information already. As such i wanted to pick your brain. I have a Colt 6530, serial #SL 013 XXX, that i purchased years ago used from the gun store. It has the original box, paperwork, etc. However, after doing research, it appears that the collapsible stock is not original since the model would have come with a fixed stock. I also just set up my Trust to get into the world of Class III items. So my questions are (1) Is around $1200 a good value for it since it is a preban? (2) would it be worth more to me to trade / sell it to go towards a new Daniel Defense or Bravo company? I go back and forth on "ruining" a preban... thanks for any advice or suggestions...
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n554/dcr5595/ar1.jpg
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n554/dcr5595/ar2.jpg

Dravur
12-04-12, 23:33
This is a tough one. On the one hand, I love a good retro rifle. On the other hand, I love a good BCM or Noveske stick as well.....

hmmmmm. This carbine isn't so Retro that you couldn't build something like it or even find another one if you want. If you can get a good price fior it and it as no sentimental value, go ahead and sell it and get what you really want.

But, I have found, if there is any doubt in your mind, you will probably regret selling it. So, if no regret, go for it.

Also, I think the 6530 Sporter came with that stock.

Dcr5595
12-06-12, 06:21
Thanks Dravur; you make some good points. I'm now thinking of a 6933 upper to keep it in the colt family if I decide to register the lower as an sbr.

Dravur
12-06-12, 07:43
I would replace that grip with an A2 grip, but that's just me. That Hogue looks strange on there. Hehe

Dcr5595
12-06-12, 16:07
Ha - I have the a2 grip and I had replaced it with the hogue since I had a gift card to burn at brownells!

Dravur
12-06-12, 17:54
Just remember, if you register that lower as an SBR, you have to engrave it. I would not do that to a Colt Lower as the value of the Colt Lower is... the name. If you do a form 1 on this, you get to "ruin" the value of the lower.

My opinion would be to buy a lower that has no name "value" and register it. that way, the Colt retains ay value the lower has and you get a new weapon :) Win win! If cash is the problem, Buy a stripped lower, $100 or so, and start the reg process, $200.. THen start buying the parts you want while you wait. Buy a parts kit next, then a stock...etc etc.... Just don't buy the upper till you have the stamp back...

Now, that may be a myth, that you should not have the upper and a lower at the same time...Constructive use, etc. Not sure if true, but not worth the hassle if it is.

By the way, that is one of the nicest matching Colt Upper and Lowers I have seen. Very nice overall grey finish. I must admit, I like!

Dcr5595
12-06-12, 18:04
Thanks very much! I think I have been convinced to keep it "as is" and get another one for the sbr. Can anyone really have too many ar's? I'm looking at a nice colt 6933 on gunbroker so we will see what it goes for.

ccosby
12-06-12, 20:12
Thanks Dravur; you make some good points. I'm now thinking of a 6933 upper to keep it in the colt family if I decide to register the lower as an sbr.

Thanks very much! I think I have been convinced to keep it "as is" and get another one for the sbr. Can anyone really have too many ar's? I'm looking at a nice colt 6933 on gunbroker so we will see what it goes for.

Yea I was going to say just sell it and buy a complete 6933 if you wanted it. Finding a complete 6933 is the way to go.

45mike
12-25-12, 20:06
Have you thought about picking up a BCM upper to go with your coly? that way you retain the Colt but havethe flattop upper for optics plus you could change the barrel profile if desired.

Dcr5595
12-25-12, 20:46
I actually just purchased a noveske gen 1 lower and bcm 14.5 pinned mid length before all the insanity happened. I'm looking forward to getting it all together!

SteveS
12-26-12, 19:38
I would keep it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a COLT. I sold my Colts at the first Calif black rifle ban at a great profit and I wish I did not.

PE556
12-27-12, 19:09

Also, I think the 6530 Sporter came with that stock.

I disagree. I have the exact same rifle. Mine came with an A2 stock and I installed a collapsible stock on it.

I think that you probably made the right decision. Messing around with a large pin lower and small pin upper is a pain, assuming that you would get a new upper for your SBR.

I regret not getting a large pin flat top upper that I believe DD made a while back. Good thing i have other lowers. ;)

Dcr5595
12-28-12, 07:30
Yeah I need to do some more research about the large pin / small pin as I didn't know that model colt was different. As it stands right now I'm very glad I decided to keep it as is. Now I have a couple of examples of new vs old.