PDA

View Full Version : Precision Bolt Rifle Options

The_Count
11-19-12, 11:51
With a stated goal of spending $2000 on a precision bolt rifle and optics (excluding rings, bases, bi-pods, triggers.... etc.) which would you choose? As an alternative please suggest an alternate combination of rifle and optics that meets with the following objective. This rifle will not be fired suppressed at this time.

Objective: To procure a precision bolt action rifle built on the Remington 700 action. The rifle and optics should be capable of making precise hits at ranges from 100-1000 yards.

Use: The rifle will primarily be used for target shooting. On occasion it may be employed while hunting. My home range extends to 500 yards. I also have access to the Fort Gordon where a 1000 yard range is available.

Option One: Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308. The stock would have to be upgraded. This would still leave more that $1250 for optics. The barrel would eventually have to be replaced, but it would provide a solid platform to grow with. After re-barreling I would expect it to be the most accurate of the two options.

Option Two: Remington 700 5R in .308. The factory stock is more than sufficient for my purposes, and provides greater accuracy out of the box.

Given the above what are your recommendations, and experiences?

TC

markm
11-19-12, 12:02
We're running 2 .308s in about the exact config you're talking about.

Can't argue that one out shoots the other. A skim bed and Timney 510 or 517 should be factored into your budget.

jpipes
11-19-12, 12:48
Do you hand load? Are you stuck on .308?

MTechnik
11-19-12, 12:52
The problem comes with glass. Usually, glass that is good for 1000 yard groups on paper is poor for hunting. Do you have a preference over magnification for group size vs. field of view for target spotting?

The_Count
11-19-12, 13:46
We're running 2 .308s in about the exact config you're talking about.

Can't argue that one out shoots the other. A skim bed and Timney 510 or 517 should be factored into your budget.

Mark,

I have followed your posts and Papabear's posts carefully. I have indeed included the Timney Trigger (510) and bedding into my costs. In fact I had hoped you would reply with this type of useful information in your usual candor.

Jpipes,

I do not handload currently. I am planning on purchasing a loading package around the first of the year. I am not married to .308, but our hunting regulations would prevent me from hunting with .223 or less.

MTechnik,

I would put precedence on target glass over hunting glass. Great question BTW.

TC

jpipes
11-19-12, 14:13
Tough to beat a fast twist 223 for utility both on the range and on animals, too bad about the limitation. My .308 (and 260, and 243) sit in the safe while my 223 piles up primers and performs in a fashion that the 308 can only dream of. It kills animals with authority too.

Go with the 5R, toss the x-mark in favor of a Timney or Jewell (or huber), get a cheekpiece from Triad, and proceed to burning out the barrel. Once you get your loading set-up squared away, buy a hell of a lot of sierra 2156 palma bullets, 8208xbr, winchester brass, and federal 210's, and never be forced to slum factory 175 or 168 ammo again.

I'm no fan of the stock, or the ergonomics, but it'll do until you buy an A5 or T4 down the road.

taliv
11-19-12, 15:59
ryan is running informal classes at Gordon. get hooked up with him. it will give you a chance to get behind a lot of different hardware to see what stock fits you, and what scope you like before spending $$.

be sure to ask him about peeing in your ghilli suit too

The_Count
11-19-12, 19:30
ryan is running informal classes at Gordon. get hooked up with him. it will give you a chance to get behind a lot of different hardware to see what stock fits you, and what scope you like before spending $$.

be sure to ask him about peeing in your ghilli suit too

Is he a member here? If so what is his screen name? If not could you pm a contact method? Thanks!

TC

ICANHITHIMMAN
11-19-12, 22:01
2k for rifle and optics, well I would spend as little as possible on a used rem 700. maybe a tac series and all the rest on a scope. ALL THE REST!

Taprackngo
11-19-12, 22:23
I have the 5R in the 20" threaded model with a Timney trigger, its a .5 inch gun. More accurate than I am currently, but I enjoy shooting the rifle. I have a Leupold 3.5x10 M3 FFP for glass. While there are better scopes out there, Leupold is local and good enough for my needs.

gimpy
11-21-12, 17:24
The 5R is capable of amazing accuracy for a factory rifle. I assume that based on your access to Ft Gordon, you are military. If that is the case, check out Promotive for Leupold products. They offer pretty respectable deals to military personnel.

taliv
11-21-12, 17:57
I believe Gordon's range is open to public

sinister
11-21-12, 18:45
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/11/21/673575_01_wts_wtt_remington_700_police_w_640.jpg

This is the kind of deal you can find if you look hard enough -- a 308 700P with Leupold, bipod, and a gun case, ready to shoot for $1700 asking (negotiable or trades). This one's in Alabama and includes three boxes of ammo.

That would give you $300 for shipping, FFL transfer, and more ammo.

C-grunt
11-21-12, 20:17
1) SPS Tactical or AAC. That should leave you with about 1300-1400 which could get you a Nightforce 2.5-10 or a used 3-15.

2) 700 R5 and a Vortex Viper PST.

If I had your budget those would be my top choices.

The_Count
11-30-12, 11:08
First of all thanks for all of the suggestions. Thanks to Taliv I got hooked up with a semi-local shooter who is dialed in.

I wound up with a Remington 700 AAC-SD in 308. For glass I went with the Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21, with G2 Reticle. I found a hell of a deal on it, and figured I could flip it if I don't like it and pass on a good deal to fellow M4C's. I purchased a few hundred rounds of 175 and 178 AMAX ammo from Southwest Ammo.

Out of the box the trigger breaks cleanly on the AAC-SD. I adjusted the weight down to a clean crisp 2.75LB pull. Is it great, no. Will it work, yes (for now).

I'm currently waiting on a set of low Badger rings, and 20 MOA Badger base.

All told I'm just over my budget.

Next up is a good quality stock. I've been looking at the B&C Varmint Tactical, and Light Tactical. If anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it.

Also, I'm thinking of adding an inexpensive brake from Ross over on SH. What are your thoughts on brakes. I will not be running a suppressor right now, so no need for a QD brake.

I don't have a good range book, but I did print out a log and a few load data pages.

I should be getting everything next week, and it will be time for a range test.

Any suggestions on things I may have overlooked?

Thanks again guys!

Chip