PDA

View Full Version : My first drunk driver experience

C4IGrant
11-19-12, 12:37
Last week, my wife, kids an I were coming home from dinner. Time was approximately 8pm on a Thursday night.

We came upon a Ford F150 that was driving somewhat erratically (crossing the double yellow, hitting brakes for no reason, etc). I spotted it pretty early on and dropped back quite a bit from them.

As we drove along, it was apparent that the driver was severely impaired and would often times be in the left lane going around a right hand turn! Several times, there was almost a head on collision.

We approached a small town and the driver pulled off into the parking lot of a post office. We went passed him and could see that he was slumped over with head against the wheel. We pulled into a local drive thru for some groceries and when we came out, he was still there (truck running, lights on just barely off the road). That is when I made the decision that I couldn't let this continue on and had to report it.

Since I was driving, I had my wife call the Sheriff Office and get with dispatch. We gave a vehicle description and tag #. As soon as we did this, the driver took off down the road. Concerned that he would cause an accident (and we would need to report or help the injured), we followed the driver at a safe distance.

Living in a rural county, there were no Deputies nearby and since we were about to cross the county line, my counties dispatch contacted the next counties SO and attempted to get a Deputy headed to us. Due to the fact that we were doing over 60MPH down back county roads, a Deputy was going to have a hard time catching up to us. So the dispatcher called in a Trooper to meet up with us.

My wife gave excellent directions and forecasting to where we were headed so that the Trooper could intercept us. As we were driving along, I could see a car coming up behind me. Within seconds he was on my bumper. The dispatcher verified to the Trooper our vehicle description and that the drunk driver was in front of us. Within 50yds, the DD made quick left turn down a rural (un-lined) road. I put my hazards on and moved onto the shoulder. The Trooper went around me and gave chase to the drunk driver.

When everything was said and done, we followed the drunk driver for 20 miles. The drivers BAC was THREE TIMES over the legal limit.

C4

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-19-12, 12:51
DId the same thing (follow the drunk) on a Saturday afternoon about ten years ago on I-275 on the north side of Cincinnati starting at I-71 going west to Rt-4 exit. Guy was going up the median barricade wall a bit, going 40-70 miles an hour in one of four lanes randomly. Wife called it in and I don't think that I was the only one calling the play by play since about 10 cop cars seemed to join in around 747.

I've been young and dumb but it is amazing to see in broad daylight someone being that dangerous. At those levels of performance you're protecting them from themselves as much as anything.

J-Dub
11-19-12, 12:54
I've seen what happens first hand from a guy that blew .330, dude couldnt even remember his birthday.....or how he rolled his car.

I'll never understand how people can be sooooo stupid and allow a chemical to run their lives. And no, I am not a bleeding heart and believe its a disease. Because it is not, its a choice.

mdain
11-19-12, 12:57
Good job Grant. Too many people would rather not get involved. Having seen the aftermath of more than a few fatal DUI accidents, I wish more people wouldn't just look the other way.

Enjoy a safe Thanksgiving.

C4IGrant
11-19-12, 13:06
Good job Grant. Too many people would rather not get involved. Having seen the aftermath of more than a few fatal DUI accidents, I wish more people wouldn't just look the other way.

Enjoy a safe Thanksgiving.

Thanks. I struggle with doing this kind of stuff, but if I let this guy kill himself or kill another person, I would have felt responsible (to a certain level).

C4

C-grunt
11-19-12, 13:15
Good job man. The US has around 40k motor vehicle deaths every year and DUI is a factor in around half. It's crazy.

SpankMonkey
11-19-12, 13:25
Good job Grant. You have to take a stand sometimes.

montanadave
11-19-12, 13:54
Kudos.

I have absolutely no tolerance for drunk drivers.

If more people would be as proactive as you were this country would see the number of drunk driving fatalities plummet.

It's even worse in rural areas like Montana, where drinking and driving are often just considered SOP. There's a standing joke (sadly) in Montana that highway fatalities which involve alcohol, excessive speed, and no seat belts are documented as "death by natural causes."

lifebreath
11-19-12, 14:16
There's a certain threshold where action becomes obvious and imperative, and I don't think it ever feels comfortable for the layman.

TacticalSledgehammer
11-19-12, 14:27
DId the same thing (follow the drunk) on a Saturday afternoon about ten years ago on I-275 on the north side of Cincinnati starting at I-71 going west to Rt-4 exit. Guy was going up the median barricade wall a bit, going 40-70 miles an hour in one of four lanes randomly. Wife called it in and I don't think that I was the only one calling the play by play since about 10 cop cars seemed to join in around 747.

I've been young and dumb but it is amazing to see in broad daylight someone being that dangerous. At those levels of performance you're protecting them from themselves as much as anything.

There's a lot of bars in that area. Probably twice as many now. Luckily I haven't encountered a drunk driver lately.

tb-av
11-19-12, 14:29
Had to do that once. After my wife explained the situation to the 911 operator on speaker phone the conversation whet something like....

Ok she's in her lane nowww oh she's going across the intersta.... whoaa no she she's headed off the shoulder, whoaaaaooohhhh , no she's actually back in her lane..... that went on a couple minutes. They got the license and told us to back way away so we did. Never did know exactly what happened. This was like 10AM.

Business_Casual
11-19-12, 15:21
So this isn't an amusing story about you getting hammered and driving home, then.

bc

RyanB
11-19-12, 15:29
I make a call like that once a year on average.

Redhat
11-19-12, 15:29
You did the right thing Grant. May have saved his life or someone else's.

Back in the late '90's, a friend and I were on our way to a hunting trip in W. TX, traveling on HWY 90 (two lane road) a night. We came upon a pickup truck in front of us swerving all the way from the right gravel shoulder to the left gravel shoulder. There were 18 wheelers in the oncoming lane flashing their lights and blowing horns at the guy but on he went. When we reached an open space with no traffic, we closed on him enough to get a good description and LP then backed off. I called 911 on my cell, which back then was the size of a home cordless phone, and reported the driver along with our location. Within 5 minutes we saw a car approach from way up ahead, make a u-turn and stop on the side of the road. As soon as the truck passed the cop went after him with all lights on and had him stopped within a very short distance.

I never regretted that decision for a minute and neither should you...well done!

C4IGrant
11-19-12, 15:51
So this isn't an amusing story about you getting hammered and driving home, then.

bc

Not this time. ;)

C4

Iraqgunz
11-19-12, 16:27
I quit reporting them. Just a few weeks ago headed home from a late evening meet I saw some clown on I-10 driving reckless and it appeared that he was; A. high as a kite, B. drunk driving or C. needed some sleep.

I called DPS dispatch and gave them a full description, plate number, etc... and everything else short of pulling him over. As we approached the 101 interchange the dispatcher states that DPS is ahead due to an accident.

The vehicle then goes from the far left lane, and cuts all the way across to the right lane to merge onto the 101. I see him pass right by a DPS car parked on the side of the freeway (the accident was clear and there were 2 other DPS vehicles on scene) and no one took off after him even after I told the dispatcher he just passed one of their units. The dispatcher obviously knew the units were there so I can't understand why one wasn't waiting and why they couldn't follow after him.

AKDoug
11-19-12, 16:41
I drive a tractor trailer rig three times a week during the summer for my business. I was following a guy and he could barely stay in his lane. A mile further I got into a passing lane and pulled up next to the guy (2 lane highway) I good look down at him and see he was plastered. He nearly sideswiped me while I passed. I got on the phone with trooper dispatch and they said they didn't have an officer anywhere near me and there was nothing to do. I said fine, I'm going to brake check this guy into the ditch and deal with it myself. She said she'd find somebody. I kept him behind me and flashed my lights at oncoming traffic. Miraculously a trooper showed up 5 miles later and nailed the guy. He blew .22 :blink: according to the trooper that eventually contacted me as a witness and to chew me out for talking that way to dispatch.

sammage
11-19-12, 16:45
Glad you actually got an LE response. Twice I have seen where our local LE could not spare a unit, even when we found the address they had driven to. In broad daylight no less.

TAZ
11-19-12, 17:36
Glad you actually got an LE response. Twice I have seen where our local LE could not spare a unit, even when we found the address they had driven to. In broad daylight no less.

Same here. The few times I have called in about someone driving like they were having a seizure I was told there are no units in the area. You'd figure with the crappy economy and red budgets nailing drunk drivers and taking their $$ wouldn't be frowned upon.

og556
11-19-12, 17:49
Thank you for doing that. One of my best friends was killed by a drunk driver.

He survived 3 deployments to Iraq as an 0311.

sjc3081
11-19-12, 18:06
Grant good job, but this may be your last time assisting the Criminal justice system. When you get called to court to testify three or four times and miss many days of work you will be pissed.
I hope I'm wrong.

C4IGrant
11-19-12, 18:41
I drive a tractor trailer rig three times a week during the summer for my business. I was following a guy and he could barely stay in his lane. A mile further I got into a passing lane and pulled up next to the guy (2 lane highway) I good look down at him and see he was plastered. He nearly sideswiped me while I passed. I got on the phone with trooper dispatch and they said they didn't have an officer anywhere near me and there was nothing to do. I said fine, I'm going to brake check this guy into the ditch and deal with it myself. She said she'd find somebody. I kept him behind me and flashed my lights at oncoming traffic. Miraculously a trooper showed up 5 miles later and nailed the guy. He blew .22 :blink: according to the trooper that eventually contacted me as a witness and to chew me out for talking that way to dispatch.

Ya, my my DD, blew in the 20's.

C4

C4IGrant
11-19-12, 18:42
Grant good job, but this may be your last time assisting the Criminal justice system. When you get called to court to testify three or four times and miss many days of work you will be pissed.
I hope I'm wrong.

I have no problem missing work. In fact, I think I could use a vacation at this point! :D

C4

AKDoug
11-19-12, 19:54
I never got called to testify. Most of these things, that don't injure someone, will be plead out and you won't need to have to go to court.

J-Dub
11-19-12, 20:12
Same here. The few times I have called in about someone driving like they were having a seizure I was told there are no units in the area. You'd figure with the crappy economy and red budgets nailing drunk drivers and taking their $$ wouldn't be frowned upon.

I doubt its frowned upon. Believe it or not, sometimes Law Enforcement Officers arent just sitting around eating donuts. They could be on calls, like physical domestics, disturbances, or some b.s. call that has no need for Law Enforcement all. A real deal phys domes. is going to take a couple of hours to take care of (the show "Cops" is edited for your viewing pleasure)

Plus, chances are they dont end up getting as much $$$ as you think. Its probably a wash....break even (if that).

PA PATRIOT
11-19-12, 20:43
It always helps when we have a concerned citizen following a drunk driver and on the phone with 911 as it gives us constant up-dates to the drivers location.

I always appreciate when the concern person helps out with a 911 tip as no doubt it saves many lives every year. Many here may think that ratting is not the way to go since everyone likes to have a few drinks here and there but by calling on a suspected drunk driver you just might save a life and whats more important then that.

HES
11-19-12, 20:55
Good job Grant. Down here I make that call about once a month. Almost every time the SO can't respond. Yeah its frustrating

Heavy Metal
11-19-12, 20:58
Good Job Bro! You may have saved lives by getting this POS off the road!

Drunk Drivers are selfish bastards! I report every one I see.

Moose-Knuckle
11-20-12, 15:58
Good on you Grant.

C4IGrant
11-20-12, 15:58
Thanks much.

C4

Magic_Salad0892
11-20-12, 17:21
Thanks for doing this, Grant. I've been hit by a drunk driver before, and any accidents that can be avoided should be.

bp7178
11-20-12, 17:36
Thanks for doing this, Grant. I've been hit by a drunk driver before, and any accidents that can be avoided should be.

That's EVERY accident.

In betwen pats on the back, has anyone seen a guy/gal who has had too much to drink and maybe offered them a ride or to call someone to pick them up?

Belmont31R
11-20-12, 18:38
Good job. My mom was almost killed by a drunk before I was born. Got hit head on, and this was before seat belts were the law or normally worn. She got pretty torn up and was never the same again.

No problems with calling them in, and it's a shame some people's LE in their areas won't respond. Around here we have so many of them and they are so bored they would be fighting with each other to be the lead chase car. :p

rojocorsa
11-21-12, 02:16
0 tolerance for drunk driving.

Good job Grant!

SMETNA
11-21-12, 03:04
Thanks. I struggle with doing this kind of stuff, but if I let this guy kill himself or kill another person, I would have felt responsible (to a certain level).

C4

Don't struggle with it. I've done the same thing before. You weren't being a citizen spy or a snitch. This person wasn't breaking some mala prohibita BS law, he was putting himself and everyone else on the public roads in grave danger. The fact that you put a stop to it is commendable.

Hootiewho
11-21-12, 06:05
I've been on both sides of this. As a average Joe seeing someone like this driving down the road, calling it in only to have nothing done & on the LE side. Just because no units can jump on it doesn't mean LE takes it lightly (in most cases). It's just most are bogged down with calls. In most places, it's impossible to get too all the calls coming in in a decent time, and if the perp makes it home or some other destination you no longer have him on the road & it's s no go.

It was actually an event like you guys describe that made me get into LE. Drunk passing me with a young child in the passenger seat, then striking a truck head on (multiple injuries one guy ejected). The perp tried to drive off but couldn't get his car to crank, grabs the limp 4 yr old from the car & runs off through the woods. A trooper responded almost immediately as I helped the injured to the roadside, but he refused to go after the perp until a chopper was up. That pissed me off so I went on after the dude, tracked him down a deer trail several hundred yards through a thicket & walked him back to the road with the kid. I was hooked after that.

Always do what is right in your heart.

SMETNA
11-21-12, 06:59
That pissed me off so I went on after the dude, tracked him down a deer trail several hundred yards through a thicket & walked him back to the road with the kid.

Pics or it didn't happen.

:lol: Good work

warpigM-4
11-21-12, 08:38
good job back when I drove a big truck i had all the states I ran in Highway Patrol on speed dial .I have got many folks pulled over .it was mainly on Friday and Saturday nights.
I started doing this because i saw a group of teenagers Leave the road and flip due to the driver being drunk .

I was first on the scene around 3 in the morning had to wait for HP to get there .I did what i could to stabilize the Passengers, of course the driver was not hurt:rolleyes:

ever since then i do what i can i don't to see some family to be killed

11B101ABN
11-21-12, 15:32
Well, done.

I make an attempt to catch up to call-in type calls, but in the vast majority of cases, the caller hangs up, the dispatcher gets incomplete information or I'm busy on a call. Sucks, but not much I can do about it.

chewie
11-21-12, 18:59
You may have saved a life or two, Grant. Good job. I've lost several fellow officers to drunk drivers and I was saved by my armored vest when a DWI hit me in my patrol unit on the side of the highway at about 55 or 60 mph. Thanks for getting involved.

G-lock
11-21-12, 19:26
Last week, my wife, kids an I were coming home from dinner. Time was approximately 8pm on a Thursday night.

We came upon a Ford F150 that was driving somewhat erratically (crossing the double yellow, hitting brakes for no reason, etc). I spotted it pretty early on and dropped back quite a bit from them.

As we drove along, it was apparent that the driver was severely impaired and would often times be in the left lane going around a right hand turn! Several times, there was almost a head on collision.

We approached a small town and the driver pulled off into the parking lot of a post office. We went passed him and could see that he was slumped over with head against the wheel. We pulled into a local drive thru for some groceries and when we came out, he was still there (truck running, lights on just barely off the road). That is when I made the decision that I couldn't let this continue on and had to report it.

Since I was driving, I had my wife call the Sheriff Office and get with dispatch. We gave a vehicle description and tag #. As soon as we did this, the driver took off down the road. Concerned that he would cause an accident (and we would need to report or help the injured), we followed the driver at a safe distance.

Living in a rural county, there were no Deputies nearby and since we were about to cross the county line, my counties dispatch contacted the next counties SO and attempted to get a Deputy headed to us. Due to the fact that we were doing over 60MPH down back county roads, a Deputy was going to have a hard time catching up to us. So the dispatcher called in a Trooper to meet up with us.

My wife gave excellent directions and forecasting to where we were headed so that the Trooper could intercept us. As we were driving along, I could see a car coming up behind me. Within seconds he was on my bumper. The dispatcher verified to the Trooper our vehicle description and that the drunk driver was in front of us. Within 50yds, the DD made quick left turn down a rural (un-lined) road. I put my hazards on and moved onto the shoulder. The Trooper went around me and gave chase to the drunk driver.

When everything was said and done, we followed the drunk driver for 20 miles. The drivers BAC was THREE TIMES over the legal limit.

C4

Having bagged 700 or so drunks none of this is any surprise, you were fortunate you could get a patrol to intercept him. Good job..

Magic_Salad0892
11-21-12, 20:09
Having bagged 700 or so drunks none of this is any surprise, you were fortunate you could get a patrol to intercept him. Good job..

I thought you wrote "banged" at first.

montanadave
11-21-12, 21:24
I thought you wrote "banged" at first.

Either way, it's still a pretty impressive number.

Voodoo_Man
11-21-12, 21:32
I did about 120ish DUI's a year, mostly drugs though, those that were alcohol related were usually in the 2x legal limit range.

I have a zero tolerance for DUI's as should anyone who cherishes safe driving on the road, I have been to one too many funerals for LEO's who have been killed by DUI's.

If you see a driver that is driving erratically, call 911. Yes it may be time consuming and yes it may get "the man" into your life, but better be wrong about someone than disregard them and have them crash, possibly killing someone.

nickdrak
11-21-12, 21:41
Good job Grant. Very likely that you saved the guys life.

duece71
11-23-12, 06:08
This is a sad occurrence but am glad it had a safe outcome. Of course the easy way to stop DD is to put LE outside every bar in the country and test for intoxication.......will never happen. I know that some repeat offenders have to blow into a machine that allows them to start the vehicle, but that is easy to defeat.

30 cal slut
11-23-12, 07:51
Good job and thank you and your wife, Grant.

I was damn near killed by a drunk driver and spent a bit of time in the hospital because of this reckless behavior.