PDA

View Full Version : Springfield xd service .45acp

HerreraM1G
11-20-12, 04:34
First off love the gun has less recoil then my 1911's and iv owned Glocks, one was a g21 other was a g22 MSHP (Missouri state highway patrol). The g22 was snappy but I could shoot it accurately. The g21 I had was when I was between the ages of 10-12yrs old and I was a natural sniper with it, but the Springfield is nice and after the 5,000 rounds it's had through it nothing bad has come from it, little bit of the finnish on the barrel has worn off but still shoots!

Singlestack Wonder
11-20-12, 05:22
The Croatian made Springfield XD is GTG except in regards to the high bore axis and lack of available magazine parts such as springs and followers for maintenance replacements. With the number of years that the XD has been on the U.S. market, its difficult to understand the lack of availability of replacement parts. Yes, some aftermarket companies have started producing springs, but depending on the generation of base pad (due to retainer method), they may not work to anchor the base pad.

bruce21b
11-20-12, 16:09
i have two springfield guns...an XD40 and XDm45...

both are excellent and have been flawless in operation.....

they are good guns!!

AKDoug
11-20-12, 16:29
1) Click on orange search button above.
2) Type in "XD"
3) click on desired thread in the results.
4) Notice all threads on XD's around here die the same tragic death.

TriviaMonster
11-20-12, 16:44
Confession time. I recently parted ways with my XDm 3.8 FS 9mm after getting a G23 3rd gen. I had about 5.1k through it when I sold it a few days ago. I miss it already. Even though the bore axis is a bit high, the gun was very, very soft shooting and was much more accurate (mechanically) than my G23. The only thing I ever did was replace the striker retaining roll pin (not broken, just replaced) with a solid stainless steel piece. Not one FTF or FTE ever, no light primer strikes on hard sub gun ammo either. It was a superb gun but I decided to move on to Glocks.

I really miss those 19rd magazines, all of which still had extremely stiff springs even after all the use they saw. Honestly, after the 5.1k rounds, nothing was wore out, including the recoil spring assembly (probably due to it being a dual spring set up).

I don't have any records, but I did notice that the gun chrono'd very high numbers for just having a 3.8" barrel. Most of the loading were matching or exceeding my friends G17 4th Gen with a similar round count (both had around 1k when we were chrono'ing different loads).

Even though M4C says I shouldn't, I can't help but miss that gun. Enjoy your XD, it's not a bad gun. I preferred the (m) series a bit better, but I have shot plenty of regular XD's, and I may get a XD Tactical .45 (5").

AKDoug
11-20-12, 18:10
I run both an XDm and a Glock 17(just purchased). There is a decided advantage to the ergonomics (for my family) of the XDm vs. the Glock and it's not in grip angle.

It's all about where your trigger finger is forced to go when you sink your grip all the way to the top of the Glock. Most folks consider the ergonomics of a 1911 to be just perfect. Take a look at one closely, the height of the grip of the web of the hand is level with the center of the trigger. On the Glock the web of your hand is far above the trigger center. Both of my kids, who have experience in many types of pistols, commented on it right out of the box when they tried the G17. We mocked up a Grip Force adapter out of duct tape and that cured the issue for all of us. That little 3/16" the GFA lowers the grip height, combine with filling the void above the "hump" makes it a complete different pistol. I can't wait until my actual GFA's arrive. Most folks consider the ergonomics of a 1911 to be just perfect. Take a look at one closely, the height of the grip of the web of the hand is level with the center of the trigger. On the Glock it's far above it.

I'm no dummy. The G17 has a long history of stellar performance. It is a PROVEN performer. It just took me buying one, pulling out my calipers and setting it side by side with my favorite fitting pistols to figure out my issues with it. Luckily, the market created the GFA and I will be able to join the ranks of the cool kids.

The G17 has a much simpler firing mechanism with fewer parts than an XD. That is attractive to me and a primary motivator for me to get one. The shear number of parts available, holsters available, and the ability to order parts aftermarket, all lead me to plunk down the money.

I still have my XDm and I will keep it since my wife bought it for me as a gift. Her heart was in the right place and I actually really like the pistol. I shoot it better than any other handgun I have tried. At over 5000 rounds, a couple RB1 classes, and three years of abuse it just keeps coming back for more. I've never had a roll pin issue, I just replaced mine with one from PRP. I've never had a single grip safety issue, even though it spends hundreds of miles a year strapped to my chest on my ATV..through the mud and crap all the time. And, I can do support hand only failure drills with it without issue.

I think the G17 is a better pistol. I do not thing the XDm is a bad pistol.

HerreraM1G
11-22-12, 04:48
All of this is proof against the trash talkers my xd service is flawless never replaced not one part. I like every kind of weapon not to predjudice in that area springfields been around since the beginning basically and is here to stay I prefer American cars over import but even they have parts imported. Sorry for retarded spelling my iPhone has a mind of its own.

SteveS
11-22-12, 15:14
One of my friends has an XD service 45 and I really like it. What stops me from buying one is they don't shoot semi wad cutters.

Rompnstomp
11-23-12, 18:36
Actually, Springfield Inc. was started in the 70's as I recall. I believe it has also changed hands, or the name was purchased. I am a little fuzzy on the particulars, just know that it is not in any way associated with Springfield Arsenal. That was .GOV armory.

Now onto the meat of the topic. The XD is a very "shootable" gun.It's shortcomings arise when it subjected to a mil. or leo. training schedule. When compared to a standard arm like the Glock it will break certain parts more often (trigger bar) and is much more difficult for an armorer to maintain. Specifically, the extractor of a semi auto should be considered a wear part and should be replaced at regular intervals. This is something that only Springfield Inc can do,to the best of my knowledge. Bad news bears for an armorer.
If you like the gun, shoot it. Shoot it a lot. When it breaks call Springfield Inc and they will send you a shipping label and get it back to you in a few weeks.

Rydiak
11-28-12, 21:26
This is something that only Springfield Inc can do,to the best of my knowledge. Bad news bears for an armorer.
If you like the gun, shoot it. Shoot it a lot. When it breaks call Springfield Inc and they will send you a shipping label and get it back to you in a few weeks.

Just to add this in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymEypC4fWd8&feature=player_detailpage#t=400s

Not as easy to remove as a 1911 extractor, for sure, but not too difficult.

rathos
11-29-12, 00:58
The XD is far from american made, they are a croatian gun. Glad to hear you have not had issues, but my question is how hard have you run the gun?

All of this is proof against the trash talkers my xd service is flawless never replaced not one part. I like every kind of weapon not to predjudice in that area springfields been around since the beginning basically and is here to stay I prefer American cars over import but even they have parts imported. Sorry for retarded spelling my iPhone has a mind of its own.

Rydiak
11-29-12, 03:36
The XD is far from american made, they are a croatian gun. Glad to hear you have not had issues, but my question is how hard have you run the gun?

Nothing wrong with the HS2000. :p

BigBuckeye
11-29-12, 14:59
Confession time. I recently parted ways with my XDm 3.8 FS 9mm after getting a G23 3rd gen. I had about 5.1k through it when I sold it a few days ago. I miss it already. Even though the bore axis is a bit high, the gun was very, very soft shooting and was much more accurate (mechanically) than my G23. The only thing I ever did was replace the striker retaining roll pin (not broken, just replaced) with a solid stainless steel piece. Not one FTF or FTE ever, no light primer strikes on hard sub gun ammo either. It was a superb gun but I decided to move on to Glocks.

I really miss those 19rd magazines, all of which still had extremely stiff springs even after all the use they saw. Honestly, after the 5.1k rounds, nothing was wore out, including the recoil spring assembly (probably due to it being a dual spring set up).

I don't have any records, but I did notice that the gun chrono'd very high numbers for just having a 3.8" barrel. Most of the loading were matching or exceeding my friends G17 4th Gen with a similar round count (both had around 1k when we were chrono'ing different loads).

Even though M4C says I shouldn't, I can't help but miss that gun. Enjoy your XD, it's not a bad gun. I preferred the (m) series a bit better, but I have shot plenty of regular XD's, and I may get a XD Tactical .45 (5").

Similar story...I convinced myself to replace my XDM 3.8 9mm with a M&P9......and frankly, I just don't like it.

a1fabweld
11-29-12, 21:27
XD test: http://web.archive.org/web/20051212091303/http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.html

I'm sure someone will chime is saying this was rigged, that the info is false, etc...

Packman73
11-29-12, 21:56
Much love for my XD45.

graffex
11-29-12, 22:23

Your gun has proven us all wrong after 5k rounds :rolleyes:

The guns are not liked by mostly all who actually know what there talking about. The list of things not to like about the gun is so long it makes my head hurt. If you like it drive on with your flawless polished turd.

m4brian
11-30-12, 19:27
The guns are not liked by mostly all who actually know what there talking about. .

Flawless logic.:big_boss:

Packman73
11-30-12, 19:53
Hmm. Mine goes bang every time I want it to, and the projectiles go where I aim them, so it's alright by me. The bore axis is a non-issue to me on the XD45 but for whatever reason it bothered me on my XDm so I sold it and got a G19. All the other "issues" people on here have with the XD are retarded. Like the grip safety and loaded chamber indicator. It's almost impossible to NOT press the grip safety enough to fire the pistol no matter the grip on it and I've never heard of one jaming or causing any malfunction whatsoever. The chamber indicator is not at all needed but certainly not hindering the performance in any way. Most of the hate is fan-boy generated. I personally like most all pistols in some way or another.

AJD
11-30-12, 20:15
Without speaking for those "in the know" I would ask if they consider the XD "crap" or do they simply prefer better options. At the end of the day many guns like the hi power, 92fs, p226, etc are all but ignored by those "in the know" doesn't mean they are crap.

HerreraM1G
12-01-12, 04:05
So much trash talk on the xd's about high bore axis and the grip safety I bet every sob that says the grip safety is trash owns a high dollar 1911 and shoots it. So why trash talk a gun that mixes the 1911 feel with the polymer wonderworld? I like them just read a post about a guy trading his compact 9 xd for a g27 I honestly never liked the .40 g22 I had but I did own a H&K usP .40 and could shoot 5 pins in under 2 sec's so I can't complain. But all everybody did on the post said. Xd is trash to glock didn't we have a war with a guy from Austria? Lol all joking aside I like all guns I'm not prejudice.

bruce21b
12-01-12, 04:52
Your gun has proven us all wrong after 5k rounds :rolleyes:

The guns are not liked by mostly all who actually know what there talking about. The list of things not to like about the gun is so long it makes my head hurt. If you like it drive on with your flawless polished turd.

so those of you who are "in the know"...LOL...what qualifies your knowledge and gun as being better than an XD?????

and all of those things on your "list" have been de-bunked by those of us who actually own an XD, and every other model gun to compare it to....

you gun 'fanboys' are worse than the apple vs. android crowd:sarcastic:

a1fabweld
12-01-12, 05:12
so those of you who are "in the know"...LOL...what qualifies your knowledge and gun as being better than an XD?????:

Because the hardcore internet operators say only cool kids roll Glocks. I would bet that half of the guys talking smack sit in a cubicle 5 days a week & don't even shoot their guns. To them range time consists of a Saturday night playing video games on the Nofriendo.

This is a never ending debate. In one ear & out the other.

bruce21b
12-01-12, 05:14
Because the hardcore internet operators say only cool kids roll Glocks. I would bet that half of the guys talking smack sit in a cubicle 5 days a week & don't even shoot their guns. To them range time consists of a Saturday night playing video games on the Nofriendo.

This is a never ending debate. In one ear & out the other.

"Nofriendo"...:laugh: ROTFLMFAO......ive GOT to use that one....

but yeah, i believe you are right....all this XD hate is based on ignorance and bias.......

m4brian
12-01-12, 07:10
...I bet every sob that says the grip safety is trash owns a high dollar 1911 and shoots it. ..

And the XD grip safety is designed MUCH better than the 1911 grip safety - because the 1911 was not designed for two handed high thumbs grip - it needs modification - not so with the XD.

ralph
12-01-12, 10:47
And the XD grip safety is designed MUCH better than the 1911 grip safety - because the 1911 was not designed for two handed high thumbs grip - it needs modification - not so with the XD.

The only reason a 1911 has a GS in the first place is because the U.S. military wanted it.. Colt & Browning did'nt want it, but, at the same time both could add and subtract, and they were'nt about to let a military contract slip through their fingers because they would'nt make a little change..Second, The GS on a 1911 only blocks the trigger..unlike a XD which the GS, if not depressed locks up the whole gun..So, if something blocks a GS on a 1911 you can at least, rack the slide and field strip, With a XD, the GS needs to be unblocked before you can field strip..That IMO, is probably the biggest drawback,The pistol has the potential to be a good platform, but, needs alot more refinement before it'll ever be taken seriously.. I had a XD45..and I had a few problems with it, But I'm not going to waste my time or yours bashing it, If you guys are happy with yours, great. That said, nobody will ever convince me they're a great platform.. Personal experiences with mine was a great teacher.

Packman73
12-01-12, 10:52
Eh, like all guns, if it lets me down at some point (or I decide to go all 9mm), I'll get rid of it. Until then I'll reach for it if something goes bump in the night.

m4brian
12-03-12, 11:32
I am aware of the origins of the grip safety on the 1911.

All I am saying is that it operates much better on the XD, in that I never fail to be able to activate the safety no matter how I grasp the gun for firing - on a 1911, I OFTEN have a problem with it.