PDA

View Full Version : PMAG not dropping free...

Jerm
02-16-08, 17:44
i thought i had seen this discussed before,but i couldnt locate through a search.

i just purchased my first PMAG and it doesnt seem to want to drop free.

all of my USGI mags do so fine every time.

i really like them other than this issue and would like to get more if its something easily rectified.

any suggestions?

LMT Defender lower btw.

Robb Jensen
02-16-08, 17:44
i thought i had seen this discussed before,but i couldnt locate through a search.

i really like them other than this issue and would like to get more if its something easily rectified.

any suggestions?

LMT Defender lower btw.

Contact Magpul.

Jerm
02-16-08, 17:45
will do.

tiger seven
02-16-08, 19:08
I bought ten PMAGs last year (dated 7/07) and right out of the box five of them wouldn't drop free from my LMT lower. After one or two trips to the range they all dropped free. Whatever excess material there may have been on the PMAG body didn't last long. If I had a mag that had been used a lot and still wasn't dropping free then I'd be concerned, but with a brand new one frankly I wouldn't worry about it.

Derek

SHIVAN
02-16-08, 19:12
I'd just lightly sand them and be done with it.

Jerm
02-16-08, 20:38
ive run it in and out of the magwell a few times and i can see where its making contact.

shouldnt be hard to fix...probably even work itself out(as mentioned).

thanks all.

WS6
02-16-08, 22:49
Maybe you got a bad batch of Magpuls, that or your LMT lower is out of spec. Colts I have played with do just fine with the Magpuls. Then again, I bought the window'ed version and I have heard they drop free a little better for whatever flukish reason.

Jerm
02-17-08, 01:23
yeah,mines windowed.

havent had it with any other mags.

after looking at it a little more,i think a few swipes in the right spots with some sandpaper will do the trick.

if thats even needed,its not binding up or anything.it'll drop out if theres any weight in it,just not when empty.

Jerm
02-18-08, 16:00
update...

got a response from Magpul.

it appears i have a mag made in 08/07.

If you have a PMAG™ with 7/07 or 8/07 mfg date, there is a tuning procedure you can perform that may help improve drop free performance. On these magazines, additional material is present on the front face of the Feed Tower Front Wall (see below). This added material can interfere with tighter magazine wells (front-to-back) causing some drag. Be aware that Magpul cannot guarantee the results of any modification and anyone performing said modifications do so at their own risk.

PMAG™ DROP-FREE TUNING PROCEDURE

STEP 1 - BREAK IN

Break in magazine by inserting it into the magazine well numerous times (20-30 or more). Do not continue further once magazine starts to drop free. If the magazine does not begin to drop free readily, look for wear spots to determine any areas of interference. If the front or back of the magazine Feed Tower shows wear then proceed to STEP 2. If wear is present on the small Front Transition Angle between the base of the Feed Tower Front Wall and the Top Rib proceed to STEP 3.

STEP 2 - FLATTEN FRONT FEED TOWER WALL

Using a flat file, lightly remove material from the front face of the Feed Tower Front Wall. Concentrate on high spots underneath Feed Relief Cut and around and underneath the Feed Tower Molding Gate. Be careful not to remove too much material! The maximum amount that should be removed is enough to make the front face flat (planar). Test magazine often for drop-free ejection. Do not continue further once magazine starts to drop free.

STEP 3 - ADJUST FRONT TRANSITION ANGLE

Using a round file, lightly remove material from the small Front Transition Angle between the base of the Feed Tower Front Wall and the Top Rib. This area is located approximately 1/3 of the way down on the FRONT of the magazine. Concentrate on removing material in the downward direction (as the magazine normally sits in the weapon). WARNING: DO NOT dip underneath the surface of the Feed Tower Front Wall as this can create a very thin area in the magazine and structurally weaken it. Test magazine often for drop-free ejection. If necessary, repeat STEP 1 – Break-in and look for interference/wear areas.

NickB
02-18-08, 19:32
update...

got a response from Magpul.

it appears i have a mag made in 08/07.

You can try this if you want, or we'll just replace the mag. If you somehow manage to destroy your mag, just let me know and I'll send you a new one. Shoot me an email if you want me to help get this resolved: nick@magpul.com.

Jay Cunningham
02-18-08, 19:35
Once again, great communications from MagPul - thanks NickB!

NickB
02-18-08, 19:46
Once again, great communications from MagPul - thanks NickB!

No problem, mate. I don't do business with manufacturers who won't stand behind their product, and neither should you. If the problem is caused by our gear, it will be taken care of, no questions asked. The buck stops here.

Jerm
02-18-08, 22:47
wow!

i really appreciate it,but not needed.

i was impressed with the email speed and info contained(only posted what i thought may be helpfull to others).

love the mag,i'll be getting many more.

....wouldnt mind some of those Magpul stickers though.;)

why none packaged with the goods?:D

NickB
02-18-08, 22:54
wow!

i really appreciate it,but not needed.

i was impressed with the email speed and info contained(only posted what i thought may be helpfull to others).

love the mag,i'll be getting many more.

....wouldnt mind some of those Magpul stickers though.;)

why none packaged with the goods?:D

Send me an email with your physical address: nick@magpul.com. I'll toss some stickers in the mail, along with a catalog for your trouble. We should have some new stickers in the relatively near future, too. :)

Jerm
02-18-08, 22:59
sounds great!

will do.

i was going to order some,but the only shipping option was alot more than the stickers.

decided to just put it off until i was needing a bigger order.

thanks!

MAUSER88
02-19-08, 08:39
Now that is the proper way to handle a customer concern. Cheers to your guys at Magpul!!! :D

TBomb
02-19-08, 09:12
Now that is the proper way to handle a customer concern. Cheers to your guys at Magpul!!! :D

+1 Makes me confident in my decision to spend my money on their products. Superior products and superior customer service!

markm
02-19-08, 19:04
:D

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/andradepix035.jpg?t=1203469196

Jerm
02-19-08, 19:54
sounds like the stuff is already on its way!

excellent products and CS.

thanks again.

i want those stickers even more now.:D

NickB
02-19-08, 20:00
:D

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/andradepix035.jpg?t=1203469196

I'm going to start pasting those all over Boulder - in the bars, on street signs, on hippie-mobiles covered with anti-war stickers...:cool:

Robert 02
02-19-08, 20:06
No problem, mate. I don't do business with manufacturers who won't stand behind their product, and neither should you. If the problem is caused by our gear, it will be taken care of, no questions asked. The buck stops here.

I just bought one and I am having the same problem and just want to confirm that additional mags I am ordering have this resolved? My date is 08/07.

Regards,
R

NickB
02-19-08, 20:30
I just bought one and I am having the same problem and just want to confirm that additional mags I am ordering have this resolved? My date is 08/07.

Regards,
R

What lower are you using? Sometimes out of spec lowers cause the mags to hang up or not lock in place, but if your lower is good to go, the latest production mags should be fine.

Robert 02
02-19-08, 20:53
I am using a Colt NM Lower w/ Larue Stealth Upper.
I resolved the problem by doing a little filing but just wanted to make sure
the 20 Round Mags on order will work.

I want to say I really like this Mag, it is very solid and I look forward to buying more. Grant @ G & R Tactical was right to suggest.

Regards,
Robert

NickB
02-19-08, 20:59
I am using a Colt NM Lower w/ Larue Stealth Upper.
I resolved the problem by doing a little filing but just wanted to make sure
the 20 Round Mags on order will work.

I want to say I really like this Mag, it is very solid and I look forward to buying more. Grant @ G & R Tactical was right to suggest.

Regards,
Robert

It should fit the Colt lower just fine. I'm sorry you had to file the plastic, but subsequent magazines, including the 20's, should work perfectly.

Robert 02
02-19-08, 21:02
Nick,

Thanks for responding, much appreciated.

Regards,
Robert

NickB
02-20-08, 01:14
Nick,

Thanks for responding, much appreciated.

Regards,
Robert

No problem, Robert. Shoot me an email or PM if you have issues with future mags. I don't foresee it, but you never know...anyone who claims to be perfect is probably very from it.

Stickman
02-20-08, 07:29
What lower are you using? Sometimes out of spec lowers cause the mags to hang up or not lock in place, but if your lower is good to go, the latest production mags should be fine.

I was working on one of my officers lowers last night that has a tight magwell. I grabbed 10 random mags and 5 dropped free, 3 or 4 needed a little nudge, and one needed a little more.

I don't train to rely on mags dropping free, nor does anyone else that I can think of, so its not the end of the world, but obviously no one wants a mag locking into the magwell and causing hate and discontent.

markm
02-20-08, 07:29
I'm going to start pasting those all over Boulder - in the bars, on street signs, on hippie-mobiles covered with anti-war stickers...:cool:

I remember going to Boulder on business like 7 years ago. I was strolling around thinking... "I wonder if there's a Gun Shop around here?" :cool:

Maybe not!

rob_s
02-20-08, 07:34
STEP 2 - FLATTEN FRONT FEED TOWER WALL

Using a flat file, lightly remove material from the front face of the Feed Tower Front Wall. Concentrate on high spots underneath Feed Relief Cut and around and underneath the Feed Tower Molding Gate. Be careful not to remove too much material! The maximum amount that should be removed is enough to make the front face flat (planar). Test magazine often for drop-free ejection. Do not continue further once magazine starts to drop free.

STEP 3 - ADJUST FRONT TRANSITION ANGLE

Using a round file, lightly remove material from the small Front Transition Angle between the base of the Feed Tower Front Wall and the Top Rib. This area is located approximately 1/3 of the way down on the FRONT of the magazine. Concentrate on removing material in the downward direction (as the magazine normally sits in the weapon). WARNING: DO NOT dip underneath the surface of the Feed Tower Front Wall as this can create a very thin area in the magazine and structurally weaken it. Test magazine often for drop-free ejection. If necessary, repeat STEP 1 – Break-in and look for interference/wear areas.

Are there pictures available anywhere of these modifications? Would be nice to maybe have this information available on the Magpul site information database. ;)

C4IGrant
02-20-08, 08:43

any suggestions?

LMT Defender lower btw.

I know that I have posted this on here many times, but will do it again.

Each mag needs to be checked against each mag well. Since magwells have allowable tolerances and so do mags, it is 100% normal for mags and to not drop free out of some lowers.

So who is at fault? Most likely no one if each component is in spec (in the allowable range).

C4

markm
02-20-08, 09:09
Each mag needs to be checked against each mag well. Since magwells have allowable tolerances and so do mags, it is 100% normal for mags and to not drop free out of some lowers.

Indeed. The more I've started looking at the mag wells on my various lowers, the more I see how much different various dimensions are. The mag catch channel is visibly different in depth from lower to lower for example.

In my experience, my COLT lowers handles all the mags fine. Some of the Aftermarket lowers I have (bushmaster, eagle armalite, etc) are a little stiff with a few mags.

But as Stickman said, I don't train or practice under the assumtion that a mag is going to drop free with pistol OR rifle.

Robert 02
02-20-08, 09:42
My Colt lower has handled every magazine prior to the PMag but I don't believe it or the PMag are out of spec. I just had a small amount of extra
material around the lip of the mag. Once dremeled gently it drops free.

I look forward to future PMag's that I'm confident will fit just as this mag now does. I really like the product, don't let this issue cause you to have a concern.

Jerm
02-20-08, 13:16
I look forward to future PMag's that I'm confident will fit just as this mag now does. I really like the product, don't let this issue cause you to have a concern.

agreed.

Hawkeye
02-20-08, 13:49
But as Stickman said, I don't train or practice under the assumtion that a mag is going to drop free with pistol OR rifle.

I have never understood why people want to rely on that happening so heavily. Its a dangerous move to make that assumption, at least to me.

Jerm
02-20-08, 14:58
Are there pictures available anywhere of these modifications? Would be nice to maybe have this information available on the Magpul site information database. ;)

it did come with a description of all the parts mentioned,but no pic's.

PMAG™ MAGAZINE BODY FEATURES

Feed Tower – The top portion of the magazine that enters into the AR-15/M16 magazine well. It consists of approximately the top third of the magazine. The exterior walls of this section are generally flat and straight in order to slide easily into the rifle.

Feed Tower Front Wall – This flat, vertical wall is located on the front of the magazine and is the front section of the Feed Tower. It is rounded on the sides where there are two Locking Tabs toward the top and two Guide Tabs toward the bottom.

Feed Relief Cut – This shallow “U” shaped cut is located at the top of the Feed Tower Front Wall. It is in front of and below the bullet tips when the magazine is loaded. It allows clearance for the rounds to feed into the rifle Feed Ramps.

Feed Tower Molding Gate – This generally rectangular patch is located between the Guide Tabs. This area has some built-up material on 7/07 and 8/07 magazines.

Front Transition Angle – This feature is located approximately a third of the way down on the front of the magazine. It joins the base of the Feed Tower Front Wall with the front of the Top Rib. When viewed from the side it points approximately 60 degrees down and a 1/8” long.

Guide Tabs – Located below the Locking Tabs on the Feed Tower Front Wall. The Guide Tabs help stabilize the magazine in the rifle and help seal off the magazine well from debris intrusion.

Locking Tabs – Located on the top-sides of the Feed Tower Front Wall, these tabs engage the front of the Impact Cover (i.e. Impact Cover Locking Yoke).

Magazine Catch Groove – Located on the left side of the feed tower (i.e. Feed Tower Left Wall), the Magazine Catch Groove locks into the rifle Magazine Catch. This is a critical interface and should NEVER be modified. The lower protrusion (i.e. Magazine Catch Stop) prevents over-insertion of the magazine into the rifle. The Manufacturing Date Stamp is located directly below this area.

Manufacturing Date Stamp – This circular dial indicates the date of manufacture. It is located directly below the Magazine Catch Groove and Stop. The center protrusion contains an arrow with two numbers that indicate the year of manufacture (i.e. "07" for 2007). The arrow should point to one of the 12 numbers indicating the month of manufacture (i.e. “12” for December).

Top Rib – This feature is directly below the Feed Tower and separates it from the rest of the magazine. It is angled up at approximately 10 degrees when the magazine is viewed from the side. When inserted into the rifle, the Top Rib is directly below the rifle Magazine Well and wraps around the circumference of the Magazine Body.