PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a jacket system

ASH556
11-20-12, 13:17
Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me with a purchase/gift I've been wanting for years.

In my mind, the Northface jackets with the fleece that zips into the rain shell seems to make a perfect system. Fleece when it's chilly, Rain shell when it's raining, both when it's really cold/windy outside.

I'm sure, thought, that I'm missing something. I've never owned a nice jacket before.

Here is what I want:

Rain proof for fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, shooting classes (I already have a good pair of Black REI rain pants that I ran through a class, but I borrowed a jacket)

Warm

Nice enough looking to wear in a casual environment

Durable enough to last a long time

I'm not a big believer in camo for hunting, especially since we have to put 500 sq inches of blaze orange over top of it. However, I do prefer dull or earth tones (gray, green, black) as this will be what I wear when hunting.

I'm not super picky on brand, but the Northface brand is known to me.

Hopefully under $250.

Ready, go!

Anchor Zero Six
11-20-12, 13:44
My closet looks like an REI exploded in a surplus store.

Have Arcterx, North Face, Patagonia, TAD, USGI issue and non issue high end outerwear.

My number one go to jacket for 3 season use (fall, winter, spring) in the great North Wet is this one in black

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens/jackets/mens-mithril-jacket.html

It has fleeced bonded to the outer shell which provides just the right ammount wartmth without being either too hot or too cold. For temps in the teens and lower I have not had to layer anything else besides one of these which is a rather thin light layer as far as typical layers go.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens/layers/mens-radiant-hybrid-jacket.html

IMO those two items will cover just about anything short of Alaska weather.

Zhurdan
11-20-12, 14:37
I'm not a big believer in camo for hunting, especially since we have to put 500 sq inches of blaze orange over top of it. However, I do prefer dull or earth tones (gray, green, black) as this will be what I wear when hunting.

Ready, go!

You do realize that most game animals are color blind** right? It's not the orange that they see, it's the hard lines made by object out of their natural place. That's why they make Camo in hunter orange. It still provides you visibility while breaking up your outline.

**Well, not really color blind, but they have less cones and more rods than humans do, so they don't distinguish color in as wide a variety, but since they have more rods, they see much better than humans in the dark/low light

ASH556
11-20-12, 14:48
You do realize that most game animals are color blind** right? It's not the orange that they see, it's the hard lines made by object out of their natural place. That's why they make Camo in hunter orange. It still provides you visibility while breaking up your outline.

**Well, not really color blind, but they have less cones and more rods than humans do, so they don't distinguish color in as wide a variety, but since they have more rods, they see much better than humans in the dark/low light

Yes, I'm aware. Still, that's going to be a vest I put on over this jacket.

karmapolice
11-20-12, 15:33
honestly most zip in dual purpose jackets aren't that great. They do two things but neither well. Get a good rain shell (arcteryx/patagonia etc, basically anything gortex) and then get a good insulation jacket like an Arcteryx atom jacket (slightly water resistant etc or more if you get the sv). Its expensive but you can find deals and being dry and warm is worth it, I have had shitty gear and gotten soaked/ been freezing cold. Buy once, cry once.

ASH556
11-20-12, 15:35
honestly most zip in dual purpose jackets aren't that great. They do two things but neither well. Get a good rain shell (arcteryx/patagonia etc, basically anything gortex) and then get a good insulation jacket like an Arcteryx atom jacket (slightly water resistant etc or more if you get the sv). Its expensive but you can find deals and being dry and warm is worth it, I have had shitty gear and gotten soaked/ been freezing cold. Buy once, cry once.
I told Anna to call you. Christmas ;)

karmapolice
11-20-12, 15:44
I told Anna to call you. Christmas ;)

Copy, I need to get that light to you and we need to do lunch. tomm I have tday thing from 12-2 then work that night.

mcmillanman5
11-22-12, 10:03

I think we have a winner! This is pretty much what I was going to post until I saw that it already had been.

urbantroy
11-22-12, 12:52
Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me with a purchase/gift I've been wanting for years.
In my mind, the Northface jackets with the fleece that zips into the rain shell seems to make a perfect system. Fleece when it's chilly, Rain shell when it's raining, both when it's really cold/windy outside.
I'm sure, thought, that I'm missing something. I've never owned a nice jacket before.
Here is what I want:
Rain proof for fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, shooting classes (I already have a good pair of Black REI rain pants that I ran through a class, but I borrowed a jacket)
Warm
Nice enough looking to wear in a casual environment
Durable enough to last a long time
I'm not super picky on brand, but the Northface brand is known to me.
Hopefully under $250.
Ready, go!

I'm intimately familiar with TNF (and other brands) and I completely agree with all other posts about 'Tri-Climate' jackets: No-go. It' a cost based, compromise solution and you'd be better served by going with two separate jackets (a shell & insulator). Sidebar: I'm not brand myopic, TNF, Patagonia, Arcteryx (My fav) all make good stuff.

I have some suggestions, however before you go down the rabbit hole of information, you're welcome to just skip to the questions I'd have for you at end. There are different ABM's (Activity Based Merchandise) that TNF has, pay close attention to Outdoor Hike and Outdoor Summit. These are generally designed around what you're looking for (for more info: http://www.thenorthface.com). Here are jackets I suggest looking at in Outdoor Hike:

Shells:
1. Men's Varius Guide Jacket
- Waterproof, windproof (Hyvent)
- Pit Zips
- Detachable Hood
- 70 Denier Nylon
- Lots of colors available online

2. There are others in this category, but I wouldn't suggest them (Split Anorak, NOT an Anorak; Venture Jacket; Mountain Light Jacket; Etc.)

Insulators:
1. Men's Blaze Jacket (Full Zip)
- Flashdry 60g insulator (It's Heatseeker, TNF brand insulator)
- The insulation has a particle treatment to it for instant drying effect (PM me for more info or research FlashDry)
- It's similar to Atom LT Jacket (minus Polartec Power Stretch sides, Coreloft, and the Blaze is cheaper)

2. Men's Sharp End Jacket & Men's Storm Peak Jacket
- Closer in terms of design to Atom LT
- Stretch fleece hybrid with synthetic insulation on core and arms
- Decent value

3. There are literally dozens of fleece options out there for you and without going into Polartec or TNF fleece technology here's a basic guide.
- There are commonly 3 weights of fleece: 100, 200, 300 (Think light, mid, and heavy)
- There are multiple derivatives of these too (Power Dry, WindPro, Etc.)
- TNF has Pontetorto fleece in Outdoor Summit
- PM me if you have questions since I don't feel like typing pages of stuff on fleece

Outdoor Summit has the features and design that are more desirable, though the Summit line is more expensive. The inspiration is technical alpine climbing.

Shells:

1. Men's Point Five Jacket
- Gore-Tex Pro Shell (nuff said)
- 70 Denier Nylon
- Pit Zips
- Helmet compatible hood
- Slick Noah Green color or Black

2. Men's Zero Jacket & Minus One Jacket
- Gore-Tex Pro Shell
- Ligher nylon, but still decent for comparable price points in other brands (50 Denier)
- Pit Zips
- Helmet compatible hood

3.Mountain Guide Jacket
- Gore-Tex Performance
- Pit zips
- Mulitple pockets
- Wind Skirt (aka powder skirt)
- Helmet compatible hood
- 75 Denier Nylon
- Loose nylon liner (other shells are straight tech shells with 3 layer pro shell and that's it)

Outdoor Hike Insulators to be continued....

urbantroy
11-22-12, 13:05
Meant Outdoor 'Summit' Insulators instead of Hike... but here ya go:

1. Men's Super Zephyrus Hoodie
- Primaloft insulation in the core, stretch 'Pontetorto' grid fleece on arms and sides
- Hood
- Thumb Holes
- Popular choice for a versatile mid layer

2. Men's Thunder/Catalyst Micro
- 800 fill down
- Stretchy 'Flashdry' pits
- Down has its perks and detractors...

3. Men's Siula Jacket
- Furry fleece and Powerdry fleece
- Mountain Hardware and Patagonia has a similar one

4. Other Summit Series fleece (Skirion Jacket/Pullover). Also the Redpoint Optimus is comparable to the Atom SV Hoody (though colors aren't as cool) with similar weight synthetic insulation.

That's a lot up there so hopefully it helps. I can list MSRP, but you should take a look at each jacket as they all have their own merits. My top pick is the Point Five since it's on par with a lot of other Pro Shell jackets for a competitive price(exception being GoLite).

My questions for you are:

- How much versatility do you want out of this jacket(s)?
- How many seasons do you want this jacket(s) to be applicable?
- Are there specific waterproof technologies you're looking for?
- Is active ventilation important (i.e. pit zips)?
- Define durability (i.e. chopping wood, hugging porcupines, etc.)
- Where do you see yourself using this jacket(s)?
- What's the environment you see yourself using this system in (i.e. region, temps, weather)?

I'm a long time lurker and doing my best to post conservatively. Let me know if this is too much info or if I overstepped any bounds. In this case I couldn't help myself.

ASH556
11-22-12, 15:28
I'm working on absorbing all of that, wow, thanks.

I'll try to answer your questions:
I live in Northeast Ga so mid twenties is as cold as it ever gets. Usually more like high 30's.

Three seasons...fall, winter, spring.

The only other jackets I have are a Leupold fleece jacket that kinda looks like a Northface Denali (but it's really old and worn out); and a Calvin Klein leather coat with a flannel liner.

Durability = walking in the woods, hunting, chopping wood. Not rock climbing or hugging porcupines.

urbantroy
11-22-12, 15:48
Thank you for hanging in there with my obnoxiously long post. I'm suggesting a synthetic fill insulator since I find they offer the best warmth to weight ratio. I'll narrow my recommendations down for TNF. I do have recommendations for other brands too... but for now just TNF (Use Style # for searching on the website):

Shell:

- Men's Point Five Jacket ($430, style#AULT)
- Men's Mountain Guide Jacket ($399, style #AUHB)
- Men's Varius Guide Jacket ($199, style #AUET)

Insulator:

- Men's Sharp End Jacket ($140, style #AUFJ)
- Men's Blaze Jacket ($180, style #A36F)
- Men's Super Zephyrus Hoodie ($199, style #A12W)

Throw on a base layer, maybe an extra fleece when it's frigid and you should have a decent setup (with a hat, glove, boots, etc.). Also confirm sizing too. Only some of the above listed are actually at a corporate TNF retailer. REI carries some TNF but none listed above. You can order online and return or exchange at a corporate TNF retail store too (if ordered from www.thenorthface.com). Hope that helps and let me know if you need additional information.

duece71
11-22-12, 21:25
Arc'teryx Theta SV + any fleece/sweater/hoody. Waterproof, windproof, warm. Pit zips to moderate the temperature inside the garment. Can be used as a rain jacket only. Gortex pro shell is very tough. I got mine in deep dusk color (darker blue). Good luck.

ASH556
12-26-12, 09:50
Well, to put a cap on this thread, my wonderful wife consulted with karmapolice and surprised me with these on Christmas Eve:

Patagonia Torrentshell in tan:

http://www.rei.com/media/rr/8bae131a-52c4-4098-a777-259ebb0768ff.jpg

and Mountain Hardware Principia soft shell in green:

http://www.rei.com/media/ss/f938773b-14a0-4677-a2be-7b66137319a1.jpg

I'm totally stoked!

smoky
12-27-12, 00:33
Well, to put a cap on this thread, my wonderful wife consulted with karmapolice and surprised me with these on Christmas Eve:

Patagonia Torrentshell in tan:

http://www.rei.com/media/rr/8bae131a-52c4-4098-a777-259ebb0768ff.jpg

and Mountain Hardware Principia soft shell in green:

http://www.rei.com/media/ss/f938773b-14a0-4677-a2be-7b66137319a1.jpg

I'm totally stoked!

That Mountain Hardware jacket looks nice. I might have to get one now.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-27-12, 16:12
Wow, your wife did well. I'm a big fan of the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man under any Goretex shell. That fleece is just so damn warm and comfy, I wear it all the time.

HardToHandle
12-28-12, 23:32
I've been outrageously happy with a Patagonia Dimension cut jacket that was part of their MARS components. It wasn't a hard shell, but tougher than most softshells. The Alpha Green color was a gray green like sewer or ranger green. That color seems to disappear in woods, is decent in grasslands and doesn't stick out too much downtown.

I've worn it from 60 to -10F. It operates well down to 25F without much insulation beyond gloves. The butt cut reduced drafts (esp. on the back) and allowed layering without bad binding.

I turned my back on the zip-in 3-in-1 jackets in the early 90's; as described, they have too many compromises.