PDA

View Full Version : Help with components for 223 rem (newbie)

Big Rso
11-20-12, 17:32
Hello fellas.

Well I am new to reloading and want to find the right load for my stag model 3 barrel is 1/9 twist 16" chrome lined. I currently have in stock winchester smr primers, 60 gr nosler varmint ballistic tips and cfe-223 powder. I am looking for recommendations on other powders that meter well. Also interested on opinions on primers (wolf) My main goal is to develope an sd cartridge. I also would like to know if I can use the load data provided for the 60gr hornady v-max , I cant find any data for this powder and head. Thanks in advance.

blackgunnut223
11-20-12, 18:16
I dont meter my powder, but AR-COMP likes heavier bullets, over 55gr. I get good results out of h335 as well.

Big Rso
11-20-12, 21:16
I dont meter my powder, but AR-COMP likes heavier bullets, over 55gr. I get good results out of h335 as well.

Thanks for the tip I was looking for some h335 but my local supply shop doesnt have any in stock.

gimpy
11-20-12, 21:45
TAC is known to meter well

Big Rso
11-20-12, 21:57
TAC is known to meter well

I am going to see tomorrow if my shop has tac or h322 in stock. I know they have varget but I see so many mix reviews.

Does anyone know where I can find load data for cfe-223/60gr nosler ballistic tip? I cant find anything...:confused:

m1a_scoutguy
11-20-12, 23:29
Hey there NYer !!! I use AA2230 alot,,meters great & is a decent powder,,I have loaded thousands of 223/5.56 rds with this powder and it works well for me !! Lots of guys like Tac,,,some use Reloader 15 I think,,there is H335 also,,plus I'm sure there are a few more decent choices !! I have been wanting to try the CF223,,but just haven't gotten around to it !!! Here are some place to look for info:
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=2
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

markm
11-21-12, 07:50
Any of the ball powders and short cut extrudeds will meter fine.

Start with a comparible bullet weight's data and work up from there.

Damascus
11-21-12, 10:55
I have reloaded for several different rifles using 1/9" twist rates, and found that some, like the older S&W's, run around 1/8.6", whereas others, like a DPMS a friend of mine has, is actually around 1/9.4"...
The most accurate rifle that I own that doesn't have a heavy target barrel is a S&W M&P15T (one of the older ones that uses the Troy components)... it has a M4-profile barrel, chrome lined 1/9 twist (1/8.6" actual), and Troy MRF free float quad rail.. it has uncanny accuracy for a light-barreled rifle. It loves 68gr. Hornady BTHP Match bullets and 69gr. Sierra Matchkings. 75 Hornady BTHPs shoot well too, but not as good as the 68/69's.

My pet load for this rifle is:
68gr. Hornady Match BTHP
25.2gr. RL-15
CCI SR Magnum primers
LC 5.56 brass
C.O.L. - 2.265" (long as my PMAGs can handle).
This load consistently puts 10 round groups into .75" at 100 yards, and often does even tighter.... almost unreal for a little carbine.

RL-15 is my "go to" powder for .223/5.56 using bullets over 60gr... (the 60gr. V-Max is the lightest bullet I use, everything else is 68 - 75gr)... but I have also had good results with Vihtaviouri (sp?) N140 (25.5gr. w/ 69 SMK), Varget (25.7gr. w/ 60gr. V-Max), TAC (26gr. w/ 60gr. V-Max).
The TAC is a ball-style powder and meters the best of all, but it's fast burn rate doesn't do as well with my heavy match bullets as some of the other powders, but for an all-around powder for 50-77gr. bullets, TAC works well.
The N-140 is similar to RL-15 and Varget as far as burn rate, and it seems to be the cleanest burning powder in my rifles, but it's price is a negative, and the RL-15 and Varget tend to group a tad tighter.
The Varget and RL-15 seems to me to be almost identical as far as what I have seen, the Varget seems to be a tiny bit faster burning... The Varget tends to group a little better when I'm using V-Maxs or Barnes TSX's, whereas the RL-15 works best with my BTHP Match rounds..
You can't go wrong with any of those powders.. BTW, my load data is what I worked up for my rifles, and a couple of them approach or even exceed published .223 SAAMI specs (I try to load to 5.56 pressures), so use this data at your own risk... I would recommend backing off 2 - 4 gr. for starting these loads. Hope this helps! Enjoy reloading!

Big Rso
11-21-12, 14:43
Thanks for the response gentlemen. It is greatly appreciated I went shopping today and only powders i was able to find where Varget, H332, and Cfe-223. I will start low and work a load up with the 60gr Nosler using the data publish for the 60gr v-max which to my understanding is pretty much made the same as far as jacket, lead and, tip. If some one would just confirm this for me that I would be fine taking this route I would greatly appreciate it. Also while emptying hopper today I spilled some I was able to collect it on the bench which is new so it isnt dirty yet:cool: so it should be reusable correct? Thanks again sorry if I am asking silly question just want to be safe and do things right.. Best Regards

Jojo66
11-21-12, 17:09
Hello fellas.

Well I am new to reloading and want to find the right load for my stag model 3 barrel is 1/9 twist 16" chrome lined. I currently have in stock winchester smr primers, 60 gr nosler varmint ballistic tips and cfe-223 powder. I am looking for recommendations on other powders that meter well. Also interested on opinions on primers (wolf) My main goal is to develope an sd cartridge. I also would like to know if I can use the load data provided for the 60gr hornady v-max , I cant find any data for this powder and head. Thanks in advance.
You should be able to use the vmax load but I would buy a manual personally.cfe223 is a great powder and meters really well. Also tac,benchmark and w748 all metered well for me.varget did not but its also a good powder for 223

Damascus
11-21-12, 17:44
... Also while emptying hopper today I spilled some I was able to collect it on the bench which is new so it isnt dirty yet:cool: so it should be reusable correct? Thanks again sorry if I am asking silly question just want to be safe and do things right.. Best Regards

Long as you didn't use your hands to scoop it up ;) Perhaps a card or stiff piece of paper or something - the oil on your fingers doesn't get along too well with powder- or primers either.
Long as that bench was good n' clean, you should be fine ;)
Which powder did you choose? Out of those my pick would be Varget, then CFE-223. As already stated, Varget won't meter as well, but if you're in this for accuracy, that shouldn't be the deciding factor. Any of those powders will load you some great rounds though.

Big Rso
11-21-12, 19:08
[QUOTE=Damascus;1447989]
Which powder did you choose? Out of those my pick would be Varget, then CFE-223. As already stated, Varget won't meter as well, but if you're in this for accuracy, that shouldn't be the deciding factor. Any of those powders will load you some great rounds though.[/QUOTE
Lucky I used a thin peice of card board. I picked up 2-varget, 2-Cfe, and 1-H322.

Just finished 50rds of 223 I used- Winchester small rifle primer/21.1gr H322/lake city brass 08/55gr fmj. OAL 2.220" Going to see how this works out for my paper load @ the range.

Big Rso
11-21-12, 19:11
You should be able to use the vmax load but I would buy a manual personally.cfe223 is a great powder and meters really well. Also tac,benchmark and w748 all metered well for me.varget did not but its also a good powder for 223

Thanks bro I actually have 2 manuals Hornady and Lymans problem is CFE is so new it wasnt listed in them.

SouthGA
11-21-12, 19:37
I have been using H335 for my 223 reloadds and waiting several days now for Graf and Sons to get in H335 powder.

I received email notice today on H335 and other items they had been out of so I was able to place an order.

Now a Happier Thanksgiving can be had.

Big Rso
11-21-12, 19:58
I have been using H335 for my 223 reloadds and waiting several days now for Graf and Sons to get in H335 powder.

I received email notice today on H335 and other items they had been out of so I was able to place an order.

Now a Happier Thanksgiving can be had.

Thats awesome enjoy on my way to their site now :D Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

davestarbuck
11-21-12, 23:07
I just so happen to have Noslers Reloading Manual #6. For 60 gr Partions with H322
they list:

Start. 21.5 gr 2860 fps

Max (and most accurate) 23.5 gr 3070 fps

This is out of a 24" 1:12 twist bolt gun..

Hope this helps!

jstone
11-21-12, 23:57
The hodgdon manual is one of the only ones with cfe data. You can pick it up for around 8dollars it also has imr, and win powders in it. The other books should have info next release. The new nosler book should be out soon. I have number six, and in six they list all the same weight bullets with the same data. So that load listed for the partitions is the same for the bullet you are using.

Big Rso
11-22-12, 09:53
Thanks for all the info guys I am going to run with the data for the other 60gr Nosler. Got to say awesome forum and Happy Thanksgiving....

Damascus
11-26-12, 11:30
Also, don't forget to try Reloder 15 and VV N140 if you find some... Everyone that I have loaded heavy .223/5.56 ammo for has had exceptional groups... I love it for .223/5.56 loads using bullets heavier than 62gr.

I just got some CFE-223, haven't tried it yet. Just loaded some rounds with it topped with 60gr. V-Max, 62gr. TSX, 68gr. Hornady Match, 69gr. SMK, 70gr. TSX, and 75gr. Hornady Match. I'll report results soon as I can.

Big Rso
11-26-12, 12:51
Also, don't forget to try Reloder 15 and VV N140 if you find some... Everyone that I have loaded heavy .223/5.56 ammo for has had exceptional groups... I love it for .223/5.56 loads using bullets heavier than 62gr.

I just got some CFE-223, haven't tried it yet. Just loaded some rounds with it topped with 60gr. V-Max, 62gr. TSX, 68gr. Hornady Match, 69gr. SMK, 70gr. TSX, and 75gr. Hornady Match. I'll report results soon as I can.

Please let me know results of the 60 gr v-max since I will be loading 60 gr nosler ballistic tips and recipe if it works out for you. Thank you