PDA

View Full Version : SCAR 17 draws first blood

FlyingHunter
11-21-12, 08:42
Good morning all,

I thought I would share a nice buck, my first using my relatively new SCAR 17. A quick shout out to Alaskapopo on this forum for his wisdom concerning the SCAR, he really helped with my decisions on how to set it up. Anyway, A quiet walk thru the woods, misty, cool, crisp morning and this big guy comes cruising along. For you hunters out there, It's always a big victory when you "get the drop" on the animal and he has no clue you're in his world. I was able to maneuver, drop to a knee for a braced position and put the red dot on the Leupold VX-6 (always on 1x for stalking) and sent an ole fashioned 150gr soft point into the shoulder at the amazing long distance of say...30 yards. For a Southern deer, he's a big one, live weight at 212# and a solid 9 point. We will enjoy the bounty...good things my wife's a great cook to keep up with my son's great appetite.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh532/ElectraGlide2010/2012-9ptWhitetail.jpg

jmnielsen
11-21-12, 08:50
nice! not a bad sized buck, and i actually know quite a few people that have missed shots under 50yds. too bad you didn't have a bow on ya!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-21-12, 08:55
Nice buck and nice rifle! Enjoy.

ImBroke
11-21-12, 14:17
Nice one. Envious of your hunting rifle! How did the bullet perform at that close of a distance? Any sign of fragmentation?

quad
11-21-12, 15:08
Nice kill!! That's a nice rack....Gonna mount it? Congrats!!

Nice rifle too!! :)

Watrdawg
11-21-12, 15:18
Congrats one the nice deer!!

FlyingHunter
11-21-12, 18:58
Thanks all. The bullet did not reveal any obvious fragmentation as far as I could tell, in fact, the exit wound was only slightly larger than the entry wound but the vitals were liquefied. After I bought the SCAR, I ran about 6 different types of ammo thru it to determine what grouped best. My personal 308 favorite, the new Barnes TTSX 168gr grouped poorly, but the bottom of the line Winchester 150gr PowerPoint (available at your local Walmart and what I used on this buck) grouped the best at around 1.5 moa and sometimes better. I'd like to try the Barnes TTSX in 150 gr. after deer season...

I'm planning on a European mount for this buck.

RD62
11-21-12, 22:24
Find work sir.

I'm envious of your buck.

Texas
11-22-12, 00:50
Sweet rifle! Congrats on the buck!