PDA

View Full Version : Will a speedloader stress the crane

aceofspades991
11-21-12, 20:34
Hi all,

I recently purchased a S&W 642 and I'm looking into different speedloaders. I bought an HKS but I don't like having to turn the knob, so I'm looking into the Safariland Comp 1 and the SL Variant (when they are available again) but I'm concerned that pressing them into the cylinder repeatedly may put to much stress on the crane or other related components, have any of you experienced issues with these speedloaders or is this not a legitimate concern.

Thanks,
Ace.

Alaskapopo
11-21-12, 21:28
Hi all,

I recently purchased a S&W 642 and I'm looking into different speedloaders. I bought an HKS but I don't like having to turn the knob, so I'm looking into the Safariland Comp 1 and the SL Variant (when they are available again) but I'm concerned that pressing them into the cylinder repeatedly may put to much stress on the crane or other related components, have any of you experienced issues with these speedloaders or is this not a legitimate concern.

Thanks,
Ace.

Not an issue I have been using Safariland speed loaders for a while.
Pat

Straight Shooter
11-21-12, 21:31
Ive been using 3 of the EXCELLENT Comp 2's for my SP101 for awhile now. I see no problem. Learn a good technique. And MOST IMPORTANTLY..DO NOT slam the cylinder closed like the ****in idiots on tv and in the movies. ROLL IT shut.
Also///try the SPEEDSTRIPS. I LOVE them.

aceofspades991
11-22-12, 00:17
Thanks for the replies! I'll have to order some soon.

chris914
11-22-12, 06:16
I have not used them in the J-Frame but I have used them in IDPA for the past several months in my K-frame. More expensive than the others but they have performed better for me.

fotomaker57
11-22-12, 08:36
Only if you get way to heavy handed

DocH
11-22-12, 15:43
I have not used them in the J-Frame but I have used them in IDPA for the past several months in my K-frame. More expensive than the others but they have performed better for me.

I second the motion for the Jet Loaders.I've used them for decades.Have a drawer full of them for K frames.Never a problem. Check Buffer Technologies. They cost more now,but I think I paid around 9 bucks apiece for all mine.

aceofspades991
11-24-12, 18:39
Thanks for all the replies! I won't worry about this issue anymore. Just from looking at the design, I like how the SL Variant is triggered by the ejector, not a button on the back, that way I know it wont go off until is properly seated in the cylinder. If they don't come back in stock soon, I may get one instead.

Flashman
11-27-12, 00:19
I have had no problems with J, K or N frames using speedloaders however I have had problems with SP101's and GP's. It seems Rugers' have some kind of spring retention system to hold the crane pivot assembly into the frame. When applying pressure to the cylinder such with a Safariland speedloader, on some Ruger's, the entire crane pivot assembly will pop out of the frame. How far depends on the gun. I have been told a little movement is normal. Once the pressure is removed, it is supposed to pop back into place. However, this didn't occur on my recently newly purchased SP which Ruger just replaced. The second one has the same problem but not to the degree as the first one.

It becomes a problem if the crane pivot assembly does not return to its' default position because the cylinder will not close.

I suspect the work around is to use HKS speedloaders, which are slower in my view and not as reliable as Safarilands. Holding the cylinder very firmly in the support hand as free from contact with the frame as possible so that the full force of the forward push from the speedloader to release the cartridges is confined to the cylinder only will minimize the tendency for the crane pivot assembly to pop out from the frame.

I am a little disappointed with Ruger over this problem. That said, I have seen several very competent competitors aggressively load their GP's slamming Safariland III's into unsupported cylinders with no apparent ill effects.

aceofspades991
11-27-12, 12:17
That sucks, I hope ruger can sort that out for you. Thanks for the input.

glocktogo
11-28-12, 21:33
Only if you get way to heavy handed

This. In particular, newer S&W revos have a yoke screw that incorporates a spring loaded plunger within the screw. I've seen guys under stress in competition get so ham fisted on the reload that they overwhelm the spring loaded plunger and wind up with the frame in one hand and the cylinder & yoke in the other (or on the ground). I much prefer the solid yoke screws that require hand fitting and I lock them down with blue loc-tite.

FWIW, I think the J Frame Jet Loader is the way to go. It's slightly bulkier than the Safariland Comp II, but performs more like the Comp III, which is far superior.

Green Dragoon
12-05-12, 16:36
I'm old enough that I was issued a revolver as a sidearm for a job. :eek:

I carried/used the Safariland speed loaders for years.....no issues.

And I still have the S&W 30 years later.

7 RING
12-05-12, 16:41
I currently own three J Frames and use the Safariland Comp 1 speed loaders. I have never noticed any unusual wear on my wheel guns after using the Safariland speed loaders.

I would also suggest picking up a couple of Speed Strips, because they are flatter and easier to hide. You would be surprised at how fast you can load with the Speed Strips with a little practice.

aceofspades991
12-05-12, 19:31
Thanks that's reassuring. I do have a few speed strips and I've been practicing using Massad Ayoob's example on YouTube.