PDA

View Full Version : 870 Express Stock Suggestions

RD62
11-21-12, 21:34
I have an 870 Express that I've had for 20 years now.

I haven't used it in a hunting capacity in almost 20 years now. I'd like to turn it into more of a fighting shotgun. Plans are for a magazine extension, new follower, sling mounts, stock set, maybe a side shell holder, and possibly a white light.

My question has to do with stock sets. I understand the factory forend can interfere with the shell holder and I'd prefer a synthetic stock as well. I'd like something that allows for a squared shooting stance. I'm also unsure whether I should go with a traditional styled stock set or a pistol grip which is closer to the AR's and AK's I've been running for years?

I'm no expert on scatter guns so what are y'alls suggestions? I'm not liking the looks of the Magpul set.

KenpoCop822
11-22-12, 04:14
I can tell you what I did with mine.

I took off the factory stock and put on a Mesa Tactical Stock Adapter. Onto that I put the Magpul MIAD grip and the Magpul CTR stock.

For a Shell holder, I put on the Mesa Tactical 8 shell side saddal which attaches to the Stock adapter.

I have a picattiny rail forend, though I'm probably going to be swapping that out soon for something else, such as the Magpul MOE Forend.

If I get some time, I'll try to attach some pics, but no guarantee.

BobM
11-22-12, 07:53
I bought an Express about the time they first came out. Since then I've had the 28" VR barrel cut back to about 19" and re-threaded for chokes. I also cut about an inch off the factory stock added a Sure-fire forend light and a sidesaddle. I had an extension but ditched it years ago due to the weight but I'm thinking about getting another one.
If you skip the Surefire forend you will want to replace the forend or cut off the extension. Lately I've been hunting with my daughters 870 and I see where the extension interferes with access to the mag tube.

AZ-Renegade
11-22-12, 07:59
I started out using a conventional Speed-Feed stock with the short "LE" fore end. I always preferred the conventional style stock for comfort.

I then switched to the pistol grip Speed-Feed since that is what we use at work, and they do make it a little easier to control the shotgun while loading.

I now use the Magpul stock with the Speed-Feed fore end. I didn't like the look of the Magpul when they first came out, but when I handled an 870 with one I was sold. I prefer a short LOP which you can have with the Magpul, and the angle of the grip is a nice compromise between the comfort of the old style stocks and the control of a pistol grip. I also like the side sling mounting points on the buttstock.

I had an 870 with the Mesa Tactical adaptor, but I felt it added a lot of weight to the gun while simultaneously making it front heavy. I might go with a Mesa rig for an SBS, but I didn't like it on an 18.5 inch gun.

Toyoland66
11-22-12, 08:11
I am running a 870p forend with the standard buttstock, I found the forend in the spare parts bin of my lgs for a really good price. If I were to replace the entire stock set I would probably get the speed feed iv-s.

This is the forend

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/954267/remington-forend-remington-870-12-gauge-synthetic-police

oldtexan
11-22-12, 08:59
I'm 5'10" and have relatively long arms, but prefer short stocks for general handiness and to allow me to shoot from a squared stance. They also allow me to push my weak hand further out on the forend , allowing, theoretically, for better control of the muzzle. I've not run any properly designed tests, so I can't say for sure that it works out that way in practice as well.

I have Hogue 12" length of Pull synthetic stocks on both my fighting 870s. I very much like this length and the overall feel of the stock. I haven't tried any other aftermarket stocks, so I can't comment on them. I have to add that the modularity of the Magpul stock makes it tempting to add one to one of my guns.

filthy phil
11-22-12, 09:16
a cheap fix to the shellholder conflict is just cut off like 3/4" off the rear of the fore-end

bzdog
11-22-12, 09:43
I too went the Mesa Tactical route with a Surefire fore-end. While both are well built, The Surefire is heavy and I think the return on investment for the Mesa isn't great considering the cost unles you are going to run optics. It also seems to change things enough that getting a good cheek weld is less natural.

The Mesa side-saddle and barrel clamps are the cat's meow.

If I were to do it again I think I would just use the Hogue stock kit with a light on a Mesa barrel clamp and the Mesa side-saddle.

If I were going to run optics then the Mesa stock adapter is probably the answer.

-john

Cagemonkey
11-22-12, 12:28
Handled a Remington 870 Tactical with factory Magpul stock and fore-end. I was surprised at how well it pointed and how light it was. If I had the money I would have bought it.

RD62
11-22-12, 17:59
So the Speedfeed is GTG? I had read some talk of their QC slipping but their didn't seem to be alot of alternatives other than maybe the Houge.

What are the pros/cons of a pistol grip setup versus a traditional stock or are there any?

bzdog
11-22-12, 18:02
IMO the *NON* pistol grip feels more natural with the 870.

Reviews suggest the Magpul works well. The good is you can attach a light to the fore-end.

-john

RD62
11-23-12, 18:19
I picked up a Wilson +2 mag extension last night as part of NetTac's sale. It comes with a spring and follower so I think I'm good there. It also has a sling loop, but I think I'd rather have a QD sling setup like on my other long guns.

I believe I'm gonna go with the SpeedFeed IV-S stock set as well.

I was thinking of the Mesa Tactical Mag Clamp which incorporates both a rail for a white light and QD sling socket. It seems like its either or on each side though... i.e. if I want both my light and sling on the left side of the weapon they both can't reside on the clamp. Is that the case?

What is the preferred method of running a QD two point sling and a white light on a pump gun?

I appreciate all the input so far. Once I get my old 870 in fighting order, I'll be looking for a class to learn to run it better.

bzdog
11-23-12, 21:50
Yah, the clamp gives you rail or QD on a given side, not both. You could mount a second clamp (one each way), use a longer rail section on the clamp and use a rail attached QD or get a for-end that can support a light being attached like the Magpul or has the light built in like the Surefire.

The Mesa clamps are pretty beefy, so the Magpul route is probably lighter.

-john

5.56_30-06
01-09-13, 20:10
I don't have much to add because I have a different philosophy -- I go for lightweight handleability and simplicity. I like the longer hunting style foregrip as I tend to place my hand further back and I think that it would be easier and quicker to get a grip on under stress in the dark. I got rid of the side saddle because it adds too much weight.

But what I will say is that whatever you decide on, make sure after you put it through its paces to take it all back off and see how you perform with a more bare set up. And be fair! You might find that less is more.

theorangecat
01-12-13, 18:42
What is the preferred method of running a QD two point sling and a white light on a pump gun?

My $0.02 is that the light belongs on the forend of a pump shotgun, and the Surefire integrated unit is as good as anything... just as long as it doesn't interfere with the sling/sling mounting. I don't see many people refer to it these days, but the GG&G 870 forend does an adequate job, especially when used with a TLR-1 or other dedicated weaponlight. For me, minimal rail area on a shotgun forend is better, and the GG&G is about as minimal as one can find without going DIY.

I personally have gone back to two-point slings of relative simplicity (like a Blue Force Gear VCAS or the Gear Sector GS-2P) and have abandoned side sling mounts for plain-Jane QD swivels and swivel studs at the 6:00 position. The more I tried to "carbine-ize" an 870, the less I liked it, thus my return to old school slinging... at least on a pump shotgun with an 18" or longer barrel.

E(and re-E'd)TA: On 870s I favor the Remington reduced LOP LE stock (Remington part # F113069) that comes with an R3 pad. It looks cheap and stumpy, but for those who don't need a pistol grip, it works great.

I really wanted to like the Magpul stock set, but it is too different in feel for me to cotton to, and the forend did not mesh well with my preferred mag extension/sling.

-one-
01-12-13, 22:18
Handled a Remington 870 Tactical with factory Magpul stock and fore-end. I was surprised at how well it pointed and how light it was. If I had the money I would have bought it.

Agreed. I have the Magpul stock and forend on mine and it was a huge improvement. The stock is actually pretty heavy, possibly a little heavier than the factory express stock.

deviljon
01-12-13, 23:49
Any opinions on the mesa tactical urbino stock for the 870?

RWK
01-13-13, 09:40
What are the pros/cons of a pistol grip setup versus a traditional stock or are there any?

On an 870, it's a wash. It comes down to personal preference. The same applies to what LOP stock you prefer. The youth stocks are generally 13", with the Hogue being 12". The Hogue can be a bit too short for some people who don't have T-Rex arms. Using the thumb-over-stock grip can sometimes result in a good thump to ones snotbox. Your choice of recoil pad can also affect your LOP.

IMO, a SureFire forend is still the way to go. You can pick up a brand new 318LM for about $250.

-one-
01-15-13, 22:26
The newish EOTech forend with the built in light is pretty nice too.

Tgunner08
01-16-13, 10:02
We are running Knoxx recoil reduction pistol grip stocks on our 870's. They are excellent if you like the pistol grip. The recoil reduction is significant (according to the guys that complained before). I prefer a traditional straight stock on my shotgun and I really like Hogue's 12" short length of pull! :D I've used most of the speedfeed stuff before as well but the Knoxx and Hogue are better imo. Mesa Tactical makes one of the nicer shell holders with quite a few options available.

matt86
01-24-13, 09:41
I have the Magpul furniture on mine. Its amzing. I like the "in between" grip. Perfect for a squared stance that is more natural for me after years of training to shoot and maneuver from that stance. The short LOP is perfect for me. I think it looks a bit crazy but I'll take the function despite the Halo-esque appearance.

Atlshaun
01-25-13, 20:11
I like the Magpul as well.

Shao
01-26-13, 00:23
I know I'm gonna catch flak for this one, but my old 870 has seen many a stock come and go... and I like the ATI Talon collapsible with aluminum extension tube... I can shoot it like a PGO or extend the stock out for ranged shots. I have a Mesa Tactical 8 round side saddle with top rail, Surefire M69 forearm, Troy Micro HK BUIS sights, Nordic Components +2 with XL cap, VLTOR offset QD light mount with Surefire E2D + Malkoff M61 in VME head, Mesa Tactical barrel clamp, Troy padded single point sling, Vang Comp follower, TruGlow red fiber optic clamp on sight, Magpul AFG 2, and I keep it stoked with Winchester Super-X 2 3/4" #1 buck.

Caeser25
01-27-13, 19:31
I have a mesa tactical leo ar stock adaptor. I'm probably going back to the traditional stock but in the 870 youth model for the shorter length of pull.

RD62
01-27-13, 20:07
I ended up with a Speedfeed Youth set.

The fit is pretty good, though I haven't had an opportunity to take it to the range yet.

No shell holder yet, and still undecided on the sling and light setup.

Too many projects, too little time and money....

vodomagoo
01-28-13, 11:08
How is the length of pull on a magpul vs. a youth stock?

thatpanda
01-29-13, 11:40
I started with the remington short LOP with r3 pad which I didn't like because it was thin and didn't feel too good resting my cheek on it. I then went to a mesa urbino which was great except the controls were harder to manipulate with a pistol grip. Last I tried the houge 12 LOP stock which meets my needs perfectly. It's the perfect thickness which allows a comfortable cheek weld, the texture on it is outstanding, and the super short length works better for me with a squared up stance.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

RCI1911
01-29-13, 13:02
How is the length of pull on a magpul vs. a youth stock?

Magpul stock can adjust from 12.5" to 14.5". I believe the Remington youth stock has a LOP of 13".

Rezarf2
01-29-13, 22:02
Magpul did their homework... again.

I love this stock, it is fast in hand and quick to shoulder. It is shorter than a Houge youth stock, and the recoil pad is superb.

There isn't much they didnt think through, adjustable LOP, adjustable check risers, great pistol grip angle, great ergo's up on the forend, multiple sling configurations etc. and it's a great value if you ask me. Even made in the USA.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/drew_frazer/Remington%20870/870-2.jpg

eightmillimeter
01-31-13, 22:35
Magpul did their homework... again.

I love this stock, it is fast in hand and quick to shoulder. It is shorter than a Houge youth stock, and the recoil pad is superb.

There isn't much they didnt think through, adjustable LOP, adjustable check risers, great pistol grip angle, great ergo's up on the forend, multiple sling configurations etc. and it's a great value if you ask me. Even made in the USA.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/drew_frazer/Remington%20870/870-2.jpg

I put a black set of these on my wife's deer gun. The little lips on the forend really make the difference when you are running a pump with heavy gloves on. I am really happy with this stock.

Shao
01-31-13, 23:00
I think the Remington Shurshot thumbhole stock is just about perfect. Super lightweight, great feel, inexpensive... It may not be tacticool, but combined with a MOE forearm and +5 extension on my 28" Wingmaster, it weighs next to nothing, has great balance, and loaded with 10 (capable of 10+1) Winchester Super X 2 3/4" #1 buck, it contains 160 .30 caliber projectiles.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/shaofutzer/IMG_8991.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/shaofutzer/IMG_8988.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/shaofutzer/IMG_8989.jpg

$CashMoney$
02-08-13, 13:59
That Magpul stock is really interesting to say the least. I know a lot of people like it, but I don't know if it's worth the difference in price.

I'm a fan of "less is more" on my SGs, and on most of mine, and the wife's, we run remington youth stocks. They make the gun manageable for the wife (20 ga 11-87) who's 5' tall. I like them because they shoulder naturally and allow me to drive laterally faster during 3 gun and training with my 12 ga 11-87. Both of my pump guns, 870 Wingmasters are police turn-ins, they're old beaters, and only 2 3/4 chambers, so I won't be pumping any money into them.

I think the pistol grip is personal preference, and I do not prefer it. I will also say that in my personal experience most if not all of the really good shooters that I've shot with do not use pistol grip stocks. Some may argue that pistol grips are the way to go, and there are certainly some pretty good shooters that run them for combat shot guns and in competition. I personally don't see a difference when it comes to stock / forend.

As always these are my personal observations, they are anecdotal, and your mileage may vary.

madryan
02-09-13, 00:30
This question is all about how you shoot a shotgun.

Some folks are all about a solid cheek weld and using the sights and all that. That requires a certain type of stock.

Some folks, like me, like really rudimentary sights and shoot much more instinctively, using the barrel and/or the bead at the end to reference and don't worry about pinpoint accuracy.

The second way of shooting you keep your head up above the stock a bit like you would if you had a red-dot going. You sight down the barrel that way and use your peripheral vision alot. That's how I was taught way back in CQB school to fight with a shotgun. I like a shorter stock (13in LOP) and for me, I use the Urbino on my Benelli M2 and the Remington Youth stock with the Limbsaver pad or whatever it's coming with these days on my 870. I think the Urbino is a bit shorter but you get the idea. I shoot squared up and I'm a fairly good sized dude (almost 6'1" and about 200lbs.) with long arms and legs and a short torso.

I've not messed with the Magpul stock but it looks nice. I just like the Hogue and Remington stocks on 870's because for a fraction of the money you get pretty much exactly what you need.

Lots of folks get a bad case of Tacticool-itis with shotguns. They're fairly simple instruments. If you keep them light and don't bolt a bunch of crap on them and go with a fairly basic stock and forend setup I find that works best.

Here's both stocks...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/madryan/93F7FABA-CAE4-4AF6-8151-203249EC23A8-800-00000109CB1198EE_zpsee7d7121.jpg

Sooie
02-18-13, 00:55
Mag extension. Hogue tamer stock set. Xs big dot front sight. 18" barrel.