PDA

View Full Version : Can't Decide on New Pistol

Dionysusigma
11-22-12, 00:04
Well, my AR family is coming along nicely, and it's time I turned my focus more towards pistols. Currently the only centerfire handgun I have is a stock Gen. III G17 with faded factory night sights. It's a fine gun, but more are needed - two is one, one is none, etc.

My past experience has been primarily P22x Sigs and M9s, but I'm not convinced that's the direction I want to go. I do prefer (can't explain why, honestly) DA/SA over striker platforms. Aftermarket support is nice, though honestly all that really matters is magazine availability and in 9x19mm.

So, here's what I'm thinking. Ergonomics are always going to be subjective, and I have done well in the past with several different designs with very different grip shapes, angles, and controls, so I'd prefer to leave that out as a factor for now. What I'm curious about are individual preferences (and anecdotes as offered) regarding operational reliability, design durability, accuracy, customer support, and/or other factors I might not have considered.

The poll is for what are the major front-runners for me, with intended purposes of home defense, carry, car gun, and light competition. Of course, other suggestions are welcome.

BrigandTwoFour
11-22-12, 00:09
Budget?

Blayglock
11-22-12, 00:10
Just get a Glock 19

Dionysusigma
11-22-12, 00:15
Budget isn't too much of a factor. Under $900 is preferable, though. I don't like skimping on things that I either use every day or that might save my life... but shelling out large amounts of cash for miniscule returns is silly to me. I can't personally justify a custom $3,000 1911, for instance.

A G19 is appealing, but I wonder if I should explore other routes as well. Hence the multiple-choice poll: I'm not just buying one and calling it done. I just want to see what M4C suggests is the next logical step.

BrigandTwoFour
11-22-12, 00:34
If you absolutely want to stick with DA/SA, and your budget is around ~$900, then the clear answer to me is a H&K P30. I've seen them new for around $920, you coud probably find them less.

If you want to go a bit less than that, you could probably find a HK USP 9 out there for around $800.

I have a 92A1, I really love it, but I wouldn't suggest it for your uses. The only reason I have one, as nice at it is, is to be proficient with the M9 manual of arms for deployments. There are better pistols out there.

Also in the DA/SA group is the FNX series from FNH. Mixed reviews around here, but I've shot a friend's FNP-45 quite a bit, and I've put ~1000 trouble free rounds through my FNS-9. The FN pistols feel kinda cheap, but my sample size of two hasn't given me any trouble at all.

If you are willing to break out of the DA/SA, then toss up between PPQ, M&P, and Glock. You already have one Glock, so you are already familiar with the platform (a good thing). You will run into aftermarket support problems with the PPQ, which may resolve itself over time but I don't think it will ever be at the level of support you have with the other two options.

beschatten
11-22-12, 00:46
I think the better question would be the role of the pistol.

If you wanted to just have fun and tinker around, exploring other platforms would be great.

If you wanted to expand your platform of Glocks and continue to use that as SD/HD/CCW, and choose to make it your platform of choice for those reasons--grab a Glock 19.

gunnut284
11-22-12, 02:31
You have a number of good choices that will probably serve about equally as well. Getting a second 17 or a 19 would be a good option, there is a lot to be said for sticking with several of the same or very similar guns. If you decide to go DA/SA the HK P2000 or P30 are very good. The M&P and PPQ are solid if you decide you like those. Personally, I'd get a Glock 19 and then if you decide to get additional handguns later look at diversifying.

DocH
11-22-12, 06:20
A G19 would be a logical choice for magazine compatibility,but I say that variety is the spice of life. Give a PPQ a shot. You won't be disappointed.:)

Hmac
11-22-12, 06:24
I have an M&P 9, a Glock 19, and a PPQ 9. I'd say get the PPQ.

Caeser25
11-22-12, 06:44
I think the better question would be the role of the pistol.

If you wanted to just have fun and tinker around, exploring other platforms would be great.

If you wanted to expand your platform of Glocks and continue to use that as SD/HD/CCW, and choose to make it your platform of choice for those reasons--grab a Glock 19.

This. Just get the 19.

ralph
11-22-12, 07:35
Of all the choices you listed, I think it boils down to either the Glock, or the PPQ..I own a Gen3 G19 and a PPQ, Both have their drawbacks..Glocks presently have a ejection issue, which I believe Apex's extractor should fix (I'll find out soon enough as I have one on order) But on the bright side, aftermarket support for the Glock is it's strong point, anything you need/want for it is available, large selection of aftermarket sights, holsters,parts, are easily found.

The PPQ on the other hand, is pretty much good to go out of the box.. It's level of accuracy, and the excellant trigger are well known, I'm not aware of any problems with it. What hurts the PPQ presently, is little aftermarket support, not much in the way of aftermarket sight options, and mags are stupidly expensive.How soon this will change is anybody's guess. You can get cheaper mags by using Magnum Research Baby Eagle mags (which are identical) but, be careful, I have 2 of these, and one dosen't drop free,They both function fine, I would'nt use them for anything other than range mags.. Of the two, I'm leaning towards the Glock, That, however is a personal choice, Really I don't see how you can go wrong with either one. If anything, the PPQ is probably the bargin of the year..HK accuracy, HK like controls,(which I think are excellant) for hundreds less..

S. Galbraith
11-22-12, 08:25
The poll is for what are the major front-runners for me, with intended purposes of home defense, carry, car gun, and light competition. Of course, other suggestions are welcome.

Any of the guns in the poll will work for those criteria. As Colonel Cooper, and just about any other firearms expert in the industry has said, any hard use pistol needs a backup of the same make and model. If you are not satisfied with the Glock, then don't get another and waste your time and money. Many here will pressure you into purchasing something that your heart isnt' set on. The best solution before you go out and spend hundreds of dollars is to go to a rental range and test some of the above pistols.

I too, prefer DA/SA, but mostly because I have used DA/SA Sigs on duty for years and that's where all my muscle memory is. Outside of Sigs, I really like H&Ks as the two pistol makes have very similar shooting characteristics and feel. Your poll doesn't list it, but I have found the H&K P30 9mm to be one of the best overall pistols I have ever used(at least from my perspective and biases). Very good quality, nice controls, about as reliable as you could conceive a pistol to be, and very accurate. Todd Green did a 100,000 round challenge with his P30 and it did exceptionally well.

majorleaguekennels
11-22-12, 08:54
Buy the Shield, I have H&K USP full size M&P and g17, the shield is by far my favorite pistol I own. Plus if for some crazy reason your not happy with it, you can sell it with the quickness.

Dionysusigma
11-22-12, 09:00
I'm honestly surprised how little love there seems to be for the 26... https://www.m4carbine.net/images/smilies/confused.gif

HKallday
11-22-12, 10:21
I think Glock makes a fine handgun.But,I am obviously a HK fan.I also think that Beretta, Smith&Wesson,FNH,Walther and a few others also make fine handguns.

Unfortunately it seems on so many of these "what should I buy" internet threads that many Glock owners tend to love ONLY Glock and will repeatedly tell you that Glock is miles and miles beyond all other guns, and that no other manufactures can equal the almighty Glock.Maybe the rest of the manufacturers should just stop making their guns and leave the world for Glock. :rolleyes:

hotrodder636
11-22-12, 10:36
I prefer the HK P30. Though I do own a Glock 19 Gen 4 (with the Apex FRE), I just like the way my HK feels and shoots better. I am more comfortable and confident with it. Hence my HK vote.

Biggy
11-22-12, 10:43
With SHOT 2013 less than two months away, I think I would wait to see if any new or updated pistols will be introduced by the manufacturers. Maybe we will see a new H&K striker fired pistol that takes P30 mags. :D

MrSunday
11-22-12, 10:45
I would get the Glock 19 for your stated needs

Inuvik
11-22-12, 10:47
I think Glock makes a fine handgun.But,I am obviously a HK fan.I also think that Beretta, Smith&Wesson,FNH,Walther and a few others also make fine handguns.

Unfortunately it seems on so many of these "what should I buy" internet threads that many Glock owners tend to love ONLY Glock and will repeatedly tell you that Glock is miles and miles beyond all other guns, and that no other manufactures can equal the almighty Glock.Maybe the rest of the manufacturers should just stop making their guns and leave the world for Glock. :rolleyes:

I don't think it is that, as much as the price and ubiquity of Glocks that makes them so appealing. There are certainly many equal or better guns, but for the price they are hard to beat. It is also nice to know that every new sight, holster, or other accessory will be available for the Glock first. Magazine interchagability is also a big deal for me.

I would love to be an HK guy, but from a practical standpoint, it does not make sense to me.

Abraxas
11-22-12, 10:49
I think it really depends where you want to take your collection and why. But to just give you a general opinion, while there are others I like better, you already have a 17. So get a 19 or another 17, then if you want something else you can move on to another platform.

CFII
11-22-12, 10:50
I cannot recommend the PPQ enough. Try one.

Yama Arashi
11-22-12, 11:21
I'd go with either of the HK's personally, although I prefer the USP line, and in a different caliber.

F-Trooper05
11-22-12, 14:00

Uh, maybe it has something to do with the fact that he already owns a Glock, and people here aren't big on "collecting" different platforms just for the hell of it. Just a thought.

SpeedRacer
11-22-12, 14:16
If you're keeping the Glock 17, the obvious answer is a Gen 4 Glock 19. If you're serious about self defense, stick with one platform and "master" it before you start throwing new stuff into the mix.

The HK P30 or P2000 are good options as well, although I'd apply the same logic and abandon the 17 if you go that route.

dirvo85
11-22-12, 16:01
Have you considered the M&P 9 compact. IMO it's one of the finest all around handguns. You can have 12 round mags for concealed carry and full size mags with X-grips for competition, range use, classes, and home defense.

I own the M&P 9c and the Shield. They're both fine pistols and serve different purposes.

If you don't like the M&P than an H&K, Walther, or Glock are all great choices. It doesn't seem like you're looking at anything that's frowned upon by M4C.

I don't have experience with the Glock (other than holding it) or extensive experience with the Walther (50 rounds through a rental PPQ 9mm at the range) but in my opinion the PPQ has the best ergonomics. The Walther PPQ, HK P30 or P2000 have the best ergos IMO.

bondmid003
11-22-12, 16:02
I voted for the P2000 but a USPc would work as well and probably be cheaper.

I have never shot the PPQ but I have a P99QA which its based off of. My P99QA was the first gun I ever bought and its great for concealed carry.

akioty10
11-22-12, 16:53
Everyone needs at least 1 G19. I mean it's almost like have a gallon of milk in the fridge, there needs to be one there at all times. :jester:

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-22-12, 18:30
The P2000 is probably the most bulletproof of all those handguns. It is an excellent all around handgun.

The Smith and Wesson M&P is the best all around package given that it has top of the line ergonomics and a clean method of mounting laser grips. It does suffer from a sub-par trigger.

I would avoid Glocks these days. Heck, even if you go with a Gen 3 you are going to be buying spare parts from the geniuses that decided to make the Gen 4.

The PPQ wins the trigger pull and ergonomics contest--but it concerns me that Walther seems to lose nearly every contract that they compete for.

RGoose
11-22-12, 21:09
If you prefer DA/SA and like the SIGs you've shot, go that route. I've honestly lost count on how many rounds I've got through my P226 and it's been the single most reliable firearm I've owned. In it's the 15 years I've owned it (I bought it new), it's had two stoppages; one magazine related (failure to lock back, not really a stoppage), one from the former girlfriend limp wristing the shit out of it. SIGs are not perfect, but if you can learn the trigger they are damn reliable and more accurate than you can be. Like any mechanical object they can fail, and there can be some bad one. But of the three SIGs I own and the two my father owns I have had zero problems.

I also have an M&P 9 which I enjoy as well. It has had no malfunctions whatsoever. I purchased it used with 120 rounds through it and have had no stoppages after an additional 1,500+ rounds through it. My only complaint was the indistinct reset on the trigger and the Apex kit I've installed took care of.

Finally, there's the Glock. While not my personal favorite, I would not hesitate to throw one on my hip everyday. You already have the familiarity with it, so it's also a good bet.

madmike3668
11-22-12, 23:11
You can never go wrong with a G19. And since you already have a g17 you can use your 17 mags for both.

t1tan
11-23-12, 02:49
Of those listed my opinion would be for a P2000 or PPQ depending on what your preference is in regards to,trigger, grip, etc.

If you already have a Glock I don't see the point in another in a different size, the size difference between the 17 and 19 is negligible, at least to me, I actually went from a 19 to a 17, better grip for me and carries the same(5' 8" 180lbs AIWB). I'd say stick with the Glock you have and get a spare RSA, trigger springs and a striker assembly to keep on hand then slap on some new sights.

Personally I have a PPS as an everyday take it everywhere gun and a Glock 17 for everything else, HD, classes, shtf, whatever. As much as I'd like a P30, spending the money and investing in magazines etc for something I already have a solution for is tough.

SkiDevil
11-23-12, 03:42
There will always be various opinions regarding what the ideal handgun for defense or competition may be. Your preferences and experience will influence your ultimate choice.

In your poll, you listed the HK P2000 9mm pistol and the USP9mm. I selected the HK P2000 9mm between the two because it is more compact and the metal magazine provides for a slimmer grip and is more ergonomic. Also, I own an HK USP9 Compact 9mm and it is very similar to the P2000 and uses the same magazine. My pistol has been very reliable and is accurate.

I have owned several Glock pistols and currently have a 17 as well. The Glock has been a reliable and accurate sidearm. However, as others I too have concerns regarding recent production models.

If I were looking to purchase a new 9mm pistol for the stated uses which you listed it would be the HK. I believe either of the compact models; HK P30, P2000, or USP Compact 9mm models would be ideal.

My personal choice would be the P30 with the Da/Sa model or the USP Compact in the same configuration (variant 1). I really like the single action pull on the USP compact, so that is the model I would purchase. The parts and magazines for either model are also readily available. Finally, an HK will serve you well for many years and thousands of rounds, even with high pressure +P+ ammunition.

Someone recently asked me what handgun manufacturer I would select for an out of the box pistol for self-defense and my answer was HK. A testament to my opinion is the last two pistols I have purchased were both HK models.

Good luck in your search.

kmrtnsn
11-23-12, 11:14
In our house right now we have a large number of "duty guns". some are old, some are new. With the exception of a P239 that I sold to a partner a few years ago we just don't get rid of handguns. We have SIG P Series, we have M&Ps, we have Glocks, we have HKs, there is even a 1911 and a S&W 4506 (the pinnacle of single stack all metal .45 handgun design, but I digress). I currently carry a USPc LEM with a 340PD as a BUG. Until recently I was carrying a P2000SK LEM with the USPc as both could share magazines. My wife carries an issued P228 or a M&Pc, depending.

She recently bought a P2000 LEM in 9mm. A sweet shooting pistol and she really likes the LEM trigger, as I do. She does find the mag release a bit on the short side (small hands) so I just ordered a set of HK45 mag release paddles for her P2000 and my USPc. Over the years I have become a big fan of HK handguns. In my experience, seeing both issued and personally owned duty guns they are a very well designed and durable handgun, you won't go wrong with an HK. If you are a lefty or have one in the household the P2000 and the P30/P45 are truly ambidextrous pistols, having like controls on both sides of the pistol. The P30 is nice, but it is big, comparable to the full-size HK USP. The P2000 is slightly larger than a USPc, which in turn is slightly larger than a G19. If you go HK, do yourself a favor and get the LEM trigger. Once you learn to ride the reset on this particular trigger system it can be shot very fast.

Now, all of that said, if I were buying a handgun tomorrow I'd buy a Walther PPQ. It uses an ambi paddle magazine release like the HK, has a trigger more akin to the Glock and M&P and at the price they are sold, they are a steal.

balance
11-23-12, 12:56
The PPQ wins the trigger pull and ergonomics contest--but it concerns me that Walther seems to lose nearly every contract that they compete for.

Just this year, Walther won a contract for the Finnish Police, Border Guard, and Customs, for about 7,800 P99Q pistols. Walther also won a Dutch Police contract this year for around 43,000 P99Q pistols. The H&K P30 and Walther PPQ were also in the running to win the Dutch Police contract.

Out of the 16 Federal States in Germany, H&K supplies pistols to the police of 7 states, Walther supplies pistols to the police of 5 states, and Sig supplies pistols to the police of 4 states. The P99 is carried by the NRW police, the largest police force of the 16 states, to include more than 41,000 officers.

Considering that Walther competes directly against H&K and Sig, and still manages to win contracts, speaks highly of them IMO, considering the competition. Walther focuses more on small bore competition pistols and rifles, but they make defensive pistols that compete against products from some of the best defensive pistol manufacturers in the world.

PhilM
11-23-12, 16:21
P30 V1.

clarkz71
11-23-12, 17:48
G19, Polls don't lie

High Tower
11-23-12, 17:48
I think any on that list would serve you well, but I'd go with the HK P30 or the 2000.

S. Galbraith
11-23-12, 18:25
G19, Polls don't lie

Unless it is politics, sports, car reviews,.....etc.

FlyingHunter
11-23-12, 19:51
Unless it is politics, sports, car reviews,.....etc.

^^^^That's funny.

G19, same trigger, more concealable, many parts interchangeable.

Salamander
11-23-12, 20:15
I'm unhappy with Glock at the moment because of the frequent brass to face and occasional stovepipe issue. I like the minimalism and simplicity of the basic design, but the need to invest money and time just to get a gun to work properly is bad. Glock's inability or unwillingness to fix the problem, and their denial that there even is a problem (at least publicly), is not a good sign.

The M&P gets it right in other calibers, and it appears that the Shield may have gotten it right in a compact 9mm. Now if S&W can just resolve the accuracy issues with some of the full size 9mm guns... at least they seem to be moving in the right direction. Time will tell.

The Sig P229 is heavy and an older design and I'm not crazy about DA/SA. But you know what, it always works. Every time. I've never once had a misfire, never any BTF. No need to modify anything. Good ergonomics. It's accurate, and I like the factory sights. Never thought I'd say this, but maybe I'll just practice more with that trigger.

Or... it sounds like H&K's work out of the box. I haven't tried one yet. Buying an expensive gun isn't any worse than spending for extras on top of one that starts out as less expensive, so it could happen.

Unfortunately the PPQ is not an easy option in California, not on the DOJ approved list so I haven't even held one. If anyone here is set up to do a single shot exemption for the PPQ I haven't found them yet.

Hopefully my frustrations will identify issues in advance so you can think about them before experiencing them fiirsthand, and decide what's important or not for your own particular needs.

wl518
12-04-12, 15:10
If you got the $$, HK for now. This coming from a Glock fanboi, otherwise Gen 3 G19.

A62Rambler
12-04-12, 16:05
Currently the only centerfire handgun I have is a stock Gen. III G17 with faded factory night sights. It's a fine gun, but more are needed - two is one, one is none, etc.

G17 follows your 2 is 1 logic. So that was my vote. If it was me, I don't like glocks so I'd buy two M&P 9s or if you really want DA/SA the P30. Crap, since I'm spending your money, I'd sell the Glock you have and buy two P30s.

I just bought a S&W SD9VE because I liked the trigger. It reminds me of well tuned revolver. But nobody values my advice anyway.:laugh:

7 RING
12-04-12, 16:33
Glock 19. You are already familiar with Glocks and it is a little bit easier to conceal than the Glock 17.

Ernest T
12-04-12, 16:52
Check out the PPQ. I had a chance to shoot one at the local range. Extremely accurate even the first time you pick it up. Second choice would be Beretta 92 if you want to go metal.

Psalms144.1
12-04-12, 19:05
If your G17 really has fading night sights, it's old enough to have been "born" before Glock started having issues with its 9mm line. Sad to say, but after Glock gave me four (4) bad G19s in a row (one I bought off the shelf, the other three were replacements when the original one went TU), I can't in good faith recommend them anymore - unless you're willing to possibly go a LONG time with yours in transit back and forth from Smyrna.

And, before I get labeled a "hater," I shot nothing but Glocks for years; and got myself labeled as a significant rabble rouser for fighting against our agency's switch to another Sig instead of transitioning to Glocks.

After giving up on Glock until I hear that all their 9mm woes are solved (which, honestly, I don't think will happen until we have a "Gen5" pistol designed from the ground up to make the 9mm work), I went over to HK. I know, I know, I suck and they hate me.

Well, first I got a P30, and, let me tell you, it is a simple joy. Accuracy is phenomenal, and the LEM trigger, once you get used to it, is very, very nice. I can run my LEM P30 just as fast at close range as I could ever run my G19s, but at extended ranges (especially past 25 yards), the P30 really leaves the Glock in the dust.

I also picked up a LEM-equipped P2000 as a "smaller" option, and it's every bit as nice as the P30, less the "customizable" grip. In fact, I'd pay quite a bit of money for a P30 with a grip shortened to P2000 length - I think that would be the cat's meow.

As always, YMMV, and this is one man's opinion, worth PRECISELY what you paid for it.

Regards,

Kevin

badness
12-04-12, 19:35
There aren't many da/sa options out there. I would suggest looking at the hk p30 or hk p2000 in 9mm or .40. They're both going to run you about there. HK's are probably the cream of the crop as far as da/sa fightnig handguns go. If you're looking more for a budget gun, take a look at the FN fnx series. They come in 9mm, .40 and .45. They are similar to hk's in the sense that are able to be holster cocked and locked like a 1911. (Unlike sigs and berettas). If you don't like carrying cocked and locked, you can always decock and carry in da. They are cheaper too. Probably run you around the same as a glock or m&p.

GUNSLINGER733
12-06-12, 13:36
I'd get and plan on getting myself a M&P C.O.R.E. I'd look into the FNH 9's also.

Urban_Redneck
12-06-12, 15:14
Notwithstanding the current recall, Caracal F(fullsize) or C (compact (G19 size). Accurate, reliable, and the same sweet trigger pull every shot.

My $0.02

bsem
12-06-12, 17:09
Those are all good guns.

Get whatever you like when you hold it and don't look back.

davebee456
12-06-12, 20:39
slightly used or barely used
Glock 19 from before 2010
Serial numbers starting with F to M seem to be the best years 2000's up until 2009
This will ensure that you have no brass to the face models of late.
Easy to find on Gunbroker.

Or

Hk P30 LEM

Or

Newer Made Smith M&P 9mm's
this will ensure no accuracy issues reported here in abundance.

srcochran49
12-06-12, 21:08
I would highly recommend either of the H&K models listed, and would suggest you also look at the P30.

zacii
12-06-12, 22:12
I voted 26, to supplement your 17

The 26 can use the mags for the 17, and in some cases the same holster.

R0CKETMAN
12-07-12, 04:56
I sure you got one by now...

As the owner of four G19s I voted PPQ:D

Guinnessman
12-07-12, 05:45
I voted Glock 19. If you can find an older Gen 3 that is lightly used, go for it. If not, with the addition of an Apex Extractor, a Gen 4 G19 should be GTG.

The Smith M&P's are great guns, and if you buy a newer one, hopefully you can avoid the accuracy issues of the past.

The Walther PPQ looks promising, but it's only downside is the cost of magazines.

Hmac
12-07-12, 06:16
The cost of magazines was a common complaint about Sigs too. Anyway, when they're available, the Walthers are not hard to find in the mid $40s. Or...the Magnum Research Baby Eagle Fast Action mags at $25-$30. Availability is the big issue for PPQs and accessories right now. Whether that's demand, or supply constraints in the transition relative to Walther shedding its import relationship with S&W I don't know. I guess we'll see as that new import path matures after January.

a1fabweld
12-07-12, 06:23
If your G17 really has fading night sights, it's old enough to have been "born" before Glock started having issues with its 9mm line. Sad to say, but after Glock gave me four (4) bad G19s in a row (one I bought off the shelf, the other three were replacements when the original one went TU), I can't in good faith recommend them anymore - unless you're willing to possibly go a LONG time with yours in transit back and forth from Smyrna.

And, before I get labeled a "hater," I shot nothing but Glocks for years; and got myself labeled as a significant rabble rouser for fighting against our agency's switch to another Sig instead of transitioning to Glocks.

After giving up on Glock until I hear that all their 9mm woes are solved (which, honestly, I don't think will happen until we have a "Gen5" pistol designed from the ground up to make the 9mm work), I went over to HK. I know, I know, I suck and they hate me.

Well, first I got a P30, and, let me tell you, it is a simple joy. Accuracy is phenomenal, and the LEM trigger, once you get used to it, is very, very nice. I can run my LEM P30 just as fast at close range as I could ever run my G19s, but at extended ranges (especially past 25 yards), the P30 really leaves the Glock in the dust.

I also picked up a LEM-equipped P2000 as a "smaller" option, and it's every bit as nice as the P30, less the "customizable" grip. In fact, I'd pay quite a bit of money for a P30 with a grip shortened to P2000 length - I think that would be the cat's meow.

As always, YMMV, and this is one man's opinion, worth PRECISELY what you paid for it.

Regards,

Kevin

What's this blasphemy you speak about the holy combat pistol? From what I hear around here, they are the ultimate in reliability and are the handgun of choice for the baddest of the bad asses. What gives?:confused:

Swamp Yankee
12-07-12, 07:07
I absolutely love my H&K pistols. I recently picked up a P30L V3 with the thumb safety and I just put a P30s LEM/V1 my favorite local spot had on lay-away. My EDC gun is a P2000SK.

That being said, the Glock 19 is always a great choice and I thoroughly enjoyed the ones that I had. I did get to finally hold a 9mm PPQ yesterday and.... DAMN. Now I see what all the hype is about. I am eagerly awaiting the release of a long slide version.

davidjinks
12-07-12, 09:53
You're already familiar with the 17. Another 17 would be the best bet for you.

I'd get 2 more. You'd have 3 on hand: One for carry, one for training and one for a back up carry should your primary go down.

You would only have to worry about 1 type of magazine, one type of RSA and 1 type of holster etc... It'd make decisions a lot simpler across the board.

That's all just my opinion of course.

Swamp Yankee
12-07-12, 09:59
I have always thought the Glocks with grip chop mods were a great idea.

You could look for a cheap Gen 2 17 and cut the grip to fit Glock 19 magazines. Many people on this board do this and it looks/works great. Now you can keep all your holsters and magazines the same.

Littlehendrick
12-07-12, 19:23
If you shoot the glock well, and have a good number of magazines for it, I would suggest sticking with the Glock platform in 9mm. the additional cost of a Sig, plus a few magazines, would be a good amount of money. Or....save the money with common magazines that you already own, and use the extra money for ammo/classes. One can never stop learning and improving.