PDA

View Full Version : AO's 1st Build Story

AO520
11-22-12, 00:58
I did a side job roof coating recently, and had a little extra cash burning a hole in my pocket. I went into my local gun shop a month ago and immediately spotted a LMT complete lower for a very good price! I had no particular build plans in mind. I figured I only had one AR, and you can always use a second right? Plus having a spare lower in the safe is better then me wasting the money on my other vices. Well of course leaving it in the safe didn't happen, and now I have a new AR project! Uh oh! Not good for my bank account...

I'll be keeping you updated on how it goes and try to give you my reasoning for the end result. Hope someone enjoys the read!

OK, lets get this lower the way I like!

I'm not a fan of the Ergo grip the LMT lower came with. Or the basic collapsable stock and straight trigger guard. So like so many others before me I went and bought some magpul accessories...FDE CTR stock, FDE MOE grip, and a enhanced trigger guard.

The MOE grip I have on my Colt fits my hand very well so I stayed with it on this build. In fact I like to make my weapon systems as similar as possible so I'll probably copy a few things from my first AR. I've heard good things about the CTR stock so I figured i'd give it a try. I like how securely it locks and also how easy it is to change positions. Plus it makes matching all my FDE accessories easy by sticking with Magpul. If you plan on wearing gloves at all while shooting an AR then you need to change out the straight trigger guard. Thinking back there was no good reason why I went with the enhanced metal version instead of the less expensive polymer. I haven't read any negatives about the polymer version.

The next day I took it to the range and put my colt 6940 upper on top. Worked fine, but I learned some things.

First, the CTR stock is great for a light weight stock, but its not for me. I much prefer the cheek weld on the SOPMOD stock. I also like the ability to store parts in the stock. I replaced the CTR with a B5 SOPMOD stock in FDE.

Second, I don't like attaching my sling to the stock. Its easier for me to switch shooting shoulders when the sling is attached near the receiver. Plus it's a better setup if I wanna use a 1 point sling. I put a Novekse QD end plate on.

Third, I really hate factory triggers now that I've spoiled myslef with a Geissele SSA trigger. Out goes the stock LMT trigger and in goes my 2nd Geissele SSA trigger. Soooooo much better!

Ok so now I have a great lower setup. I cant just let it sit in the safe all alone! ;-)

To be continued...

Rezarf2
11-22-12, 07:15
Sounds like a great build so far, what are your plans for the upper?

polymorpheous
11-22-12, 08:15
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82447

AO520
11-25-12, 01:47
I know I didn't put together the lower, but I tried to explain the changes I made. Just like I was gonna do in the 2nd part about the upper I bought from BCM... shaved the FSB, installed troy alpha rail, troy sights, aimpoint t1, BCM charging, mount-n-slot light mount, x300u, ect.

I was gonna try and explain my setup and post some finished pics, but maybe that should be posted in a different section? :cray:

Sounds like a great build so far, what are your plans for the upper?
Thanks. Was going for a light weight build that could use different hand guards in the future. My first AR was a Colt 6940 which limits my options because of the monolithic quad rail.