PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Stock Advice - Special Circumstances

MassMark
02-17-08, 15:00
Short of the "you need to move to a free state" responses, I'm looking for advice on a stock for my Anvil Arms M-4 build. In Massachusetts, we're not allowed to have collapsable M4 stocks so my options are:

Collapsable M4 stock pinned to satisfy

Fixed short stock

I thought I would buy a not so fancy M4 stock, adjust it for LOP and then find a way to pin it. I'd love to have a higher end collapsable, (ie: VLTOR) but the thought of pinning it - especially with the steep price tag, makes me woozy. Unless someone has a way to pin it, so it can be undone down the road?

I also thought about the shorter version of the VLTOR fixed clubfoot. I thought if the LOP was too short, I could always add a butt pad and bring it out a bit. I'm not a small fry - 6'4" 260lbs, with long gorilla arms. I tried a short RRA entry stock, (short A2), but disliked it immensely.

I'm trying to make a small handy carbine and don;t like the looks of a full-sized A2 stock on a carbine - I need a compromise. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

Jay Cunningham
02-17-08, 15:03
Try a Sully Stock. (http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/defensive-edgenet/-strse-83/Sully-Stock/Detail)

MassMark
02-17-08, 15:10
When the picture was loading I thought: "crap, that's the one I tried on the RRA", but it's clearly not it - the RRA looked like a little chopped off A2 and it felt odd - the swell on the rear of the stock on the Sully looks like more of a fit for me... Looks interesting - thanks for the tip! Any others to look for? Thanks again.

jmart
02-17-08, 15:37
Sully.

Sully w/buttpad spacer.

CavArms A1.

Also, check with Magpul. They might be introducing some fixed variants, either CTR or within their MOE line to be released later this year.

kingc
02-17-08, 18:23
I agree, as with jmart. The Sully and if you want, add the buttpad spacer. I live in a semi-free state where a telestock is permissible, but still use the Sully on a couple of carbines. Good Choice!

MassMark
02-17-08, 18:41
Thanks for the advice - the Sully looks like a winner. I really like the looks of the new VLTOR Modstock, but hate like hell to pin such a nice stock, unless I can do it in a way that can be undone....

BushmasterFanBoy
02-17-08, 23:33
Don't buy a collapsable stock thats pinned. Its a waste of a good stock, use your circumstance to your advantage and find a good fixed stock thats compact enough to use, solid enough to last, and had a good cheek weld. There is no reason to pin a collapsable stock, looks are not important, and the cheekweld you get on a fixed stock will be better.

ETA: The sully stock looks to be the best for you.

Do whatever it takes man, just because you are behind enemy lines doesn't mean you give up your RKBA. We were there for 10 years, of which I had the fortune to have BRD for a period of just a few months and that was bad enough.

Get a solid fixed stock like the sully, a flash suppressing compensator that AFAIK has been classified by the BATF as a Muzzle brake, and get a good setup going.

TOrrock
02-17-08, 23:55
Sully.

Comfortable, bullet proof.

MassMark
02-18-08, 00:23
Don't buy a collapsable stock thats pinned. Its a waste of a good stock, use your circumstance to your advantage and find a good fixed stock thats compact enough to use, solid enough to last, and had a good cheek weld. There is no reason to pin a collapsable stock, looks are not important, and the cheekweld you get on a fixed stock will be better.

ETA: The sully stock looks to be the best for you.

Do whatever it takes man, just because you are behind enemy lines doesn't mean you give up your RKBA. We were there for 10 years, of which I had the fortune to have BRD for a period of just a few months and that was bad enough.

Get a solid fixed stock like the sully, a flash suppressing compensator that AFAIK has been classified by the BATF as a Muzzle brake, and get a good setup going.

That advice was much appreciated - as was everyones. Looks like the Sully will be coming home with me. I hated the thought of ruining a perfectly good collapsable, but wanted the short profile the stock offers. With the Sully at 8", I can add an inch if I need more LOP and it looks like it's a better stock than the one on the "RRA Entry Tactical" I tried, (just horrible). The only thing I'm worried about is if the 8-9" stock will be a good fit for my body - time will tell. I had thought about an A2 length VLTOR Modstock, but putting a full-length stock on a carbine just seems odd to me. As to the brake, I have been looking around for FS/Brakes - I think I found something close in the Troy Medieval and spotted a couple of others I need to check out. I'm trying to build the best MA-compliant rig I can put together until I can get to free territory. Essentially a short, handy, reliable carbine - with low frills - no fancy rails, no vertical grips and maybe a short rail section for a light.

Thanks again all - if anything else pops up let me know please - my lower is still many weeks out, so I have time to put things together....

Crap - last second question: Will the Sully allow me the ability to mount a receiver end plate/sling adapter?

jmart
02-18-08, 00:27
Crap - last second question: Will the Sully allow me the ability to mount a receiver end plate/sling adapter?

Yes. Gearsector sells them, I believe they're Daniel Defense products IIRC.

MassMark
02-23-08, 08:29
Well, thanks to your sage advice, I have decided on a Sully. It seems to be the best option for my living situation, use and melon head. I have had fairly negative experiences with collapsable stocks anyway, (cheek-weld see; melon head) and absolutely hated the RRA Entry, so this seems like a "go".

My last question involves thoughts on sling mounts. I have all but completely ruled out a single-point sling and had initially pondered a Troy SP/mount combo. What i was wondering is if anyone had a decent option for mounting a two-point. I have done some searching and seen some creative souls with Sullys out there, bit me hacking a hole through the side my $120.00 stock is not an option, (I know me)... ;)

My initial thought was this: Stick with a butt stock/receiver plate mount and mount a small rail at 9pm on the hand guard. I also have a Spec-Ops "ReadyFireMode" on my SOCOM-16. It has a loop attachment built in and could serve as a rear mounting point, (I think). I bought it as a spare mag carrier for my S-16, but found when I trained with it, that it was an unnecessary purchase. I'm also wondering if I really want extra mags riding on board a lightweight carbine, with a heavy rear stock, but it's free and I could keep other accessories in it.

Sorry for the ramble - thanks again....