PDA

View Full Version : My Semi Custom Build.

Delta_co
11-23-12, 11:01
I started years ago with a bone stock Bushmaster A2 16" HBAR. It had no muzzle device and a rigid stock. I slowly began building it to my liking until there was nothing except the Lower Receiver which was original. Here is my current setup.

BM XM15E2S Lower
Model 1 Sales A3 Upper
BM 14.5" M4 Barrel w/ extended A2 Flash Hider
Magpul MOE Stock
MI Rail
Magpul AFG2
Magpul XTM Panels
Magpul MBUS Rear Sight
Magpul ASAP sling attachment
Aimpoint ML2

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o604/Tango_Co/D9D905D3-7095-4FF7-AB52-44041B884838-1547-000001D1DF4BFA9E_zps9fbb2e7e.jpg

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o604/Tango_Co/90313E02-CC21-4504-B6BE-5EEEE9491BE0-1547-000001D1DB9E26DD_zps8f72d1ba.jpg

Blayglock
11-23-12, 12:57
That's the way to do it IMO. Get one and shoot it until you find out what you want on there.

polymorpheous
11-23-12, 12:59
Why did you choose the parts you did?

kmrtnsn
11-23-12, 14:16
How exactly are you activating that light with that AFG in place? I have found the AFG to be of limited use, solely for teaching a gripping technique, then they end up removed from rifles. Also, why carbine length handguards? You may want to consider extending that light forward, off of the grip with a Thorntail or similar. Sliding the AFG forward will also give you a more natural grip on the handguard.

Delta_co
11-24-12, 12:22
How exactly are you activating that light with that AFG in place? I have found the AFG to be of limited use, solely for teaching a gripping technique, then they end up removed from rifles. Also, why carbine length handguards? You may want to consider extending that light forward, off of the grip with a Thorntail or similar. Sliding the AFG forward will also give you a more natural grip on the handguard.

With the light and AFG in the places they are my left hand is in position where a simple flip of my thumb will activate either the momentary or a full push will turn on the light. I chose carbine length rails because of a few reasons.

A. I had them laying around
B. I wanted to keep the FSB
C. The feel works well for me.

I had a KAC VFG before switching to the AFG and I found the AFG to be more comfortable. So it's mainly personal preference.

DogRanger
11-24-12, 17:16
Looks like a good set up, I like it.

djmorris
11-25-12, 11:13
Stop wasting money on accessories and get a decent gun is my opinion. Something that does not have DPMS, Bushmaster, Rock River, Delton, CMMG, etc in the name. Your optic is worth more than the weapon it's on -- that speaks volumes.

If you can afford an Aimpoint, surely you can afford a better weapon. Seriously? An Aimpoint on a Bushmaster? I just don't get that train of thought... my 2 cents...

Iraqgunz
11-25-12, 18:39
I am very curious about something. How much did you pay for the BM barrel and the Model 1 sales upper? Please be honest.

Delta_co
11-25-12, 18:54
Stop wasting money on accessories and get a decent gun is my opinion. Something that does not have DPMS, Bushmaster, Rock River, Delton, CMMG, etc in the name. Your optic is worth more than the weapon it's on -- that speaks volumes.

If you can afford an Aimpoint, surely you can afford a better weapon. Seriously? An Aimpoint on a Bushmaster? I just don't get that train of thought... my 2 cents...

It goes bang every time I pull the trigger. What more do I need? Not to mention Colt and BM both use Cardinal Forge among others for their receivers. Also a new LE6920 is $1179 at impactguns. A Bushmaster M4 Patrolman is $1069, also at impactguns. So I would call that the price of 2 Aimpoints for either weapon. Not to mention both have seen combat.

I am very curious about something. How much did you pay for the BM barrel and the Model 1 sales upper? Please be honest.

$99 for the upper.
$205 for the barrel

Sold original HBAR for $150 and the A2 upper for $75. So total net cost was $79

Iraqgunz
11-25-12, 20:48
I understand. I ask because the barrel and upper not of quality and isn't something that I would purchase. For a little more you could have purchased a complete BCM upper receiver group.

It goes bang every time I pull the trigger. What more do I need? Not to mention Colt and BM both use Cardinal Forge among others for their receivers. Also a new LE6920 is $1179 at impactguns. A Bushmaster M4 Patrolman is $1069, also at impactguns. So I would call that the price of 2 Aimpoints for either weapon. Not to mention both have seen combat.

$99 for the upper.
$205 for the barrel

Iraqgunz
11-25-12, 20:49
I am a little confused. Both of "what" have seen combat?

$99 for the upper.
$205 for the barrel

Delta_co
11-25-12, 22:24
Both brands have been battle tested. Contractors and LEO use Bushmaster and Colt is .mil issue.

Delta_co
11-25-12, 22:26
I understand. I ask because the barrel and upper not of quality and isn't something that I would purchase. For a little more you could have purchased a complete BCM upper receiver group.

The upper is a Cardinal Forge stamped upper and the barrel is a 1:9 twist chrome lined barrel. Good enough for me.

Iraqgunz
11-26-12, 00:53
Well I was responsible for 500 BM's as a contractor in Iraq for years and they were pieces of crap. Tight chambers, just a name a few things. I wouldn't be calling them battle tested especially since very few contractors were engaged in "combat". This is only based upon my 5 years in Iraq and another year in A'stan.

Both brands have been battle tested. Contractors and LEO use Bushmaster and Colt is .mil issue.

Delta_co
11-26-12, 08:40

Well I was responsible for 500 BM's as a contractor in Iraq for years and they were pieces of crap. Tight chambers, just a name a few things. I wouldn't be calling them battle tested especially since very few contractors were engaged in "combat". This is only based upon my 5 years in Iraq and another year in A'stan.

Thanks for your service. But as stated before. I think it's good enough for me, unless small town Carlisle gets invaded. In which case, I'm leaving, not fighting.

Iraqgunz
11-29-12, 17:49
You should be ok. You have that idiot police chief Joe Ball and his Spetsnaz shovel wielding buddy and imposter John Gidduck protecting you.

Thanks for your service. But as stated before. I think it's good enough for me, unless small town Carlisle gets invaded. In which case, I'm leaving, not fighting.

friendlyfireisnt
11-29-12, 19:12

You've posted your rifle up on a website devoted to serious use firearms. Don't be so defensive when someone, with experience, points out that your toy isn't up to snuff.

Just because Bushmaster and Colt use the same forge for the raw forging, doesn't mean they are finished by the same place, or even to the same specifications.

Fact of life is that some companies build to a known quality standard, and some, well, don't. You picked plenty of quality accessories, but your base rifle is based on poor components.

Many of us have made the same mistake (you should have seen my first AR15 years ago). You can either delude yourself that yours is "good enough", or you can educate yourself, and make better purchases in the future.