PDA

View Full Version : HK P2000 and USPc magazine release replacement

kmrtnsn
11-23-12, 15:50
Last week my wife attended a pistol class and used a new handgun for the first real wring-out, a newly acquired HK P2000 V3(LEM) in 9mm. Prior to purchasing this pistol she ran either a duty SIG or a G19. After the class she opined that the pistol would be easier for her to run for her small hands of the ambi magazine release were a little larger and easier to manipulate, one-handed.

I went over to HK Parts and ordered a couple of the HK45 magazine release paddles and they arrived in just a couple of days and today I installed the part. Easy to do is an understatement and can be done quickly and easily by any shooter capable of field stripping his or her pistol.

The part required is the HK extended magazine release. The part is $23.95 and is well worth the price. No special tools are required to change the parts. I am using HKParts photos to illustrate,

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Extended-Magazine-Release-For-HK-Pistols-213p1669.htm

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/HKPHK45054-3-250.jpg

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/HKPHK45054-10-250.png

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/HKPHK45054-7-250.jpg

Removal of the existing part is as easy as pushing out the roll pin above the magazine release, grasping the magazine release and pulling out forward, away from the trigger guard.

Remove the spring from the old release and insert it into the new one.

Slide the magazine release back into position, compression the spring as you do so. To do this I used a thin plastic parts cleaning tool I have. I do not recommend using a knife due to the cut hazard.

Once the new magazine release is in position, slide the roll pin back into position.

That is it, easy stuff.

High Tower
11-23-12, 17:43
Good info. I never much liked the littler mag release paddles.

Big Bronze Rim
11-23-12, 18:55
I did the same to my USP45 Tac. This is a great upgrade that is super simple to install.

mig1nc
11-23-12, 19:14
That's freakin awesome. She should also try the Walther PPQ if she likes the paddle style release.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

jyo
11-24-12, 18:30
Yeah, I installed four of these larger mag releases on my pistols---USPf 9mm, USPf 45, USPc 9mm and my 9mm P2000---easy and definitely better! My original 1994 USPf 9mm came with the larger release as standard---why they changed to the smaller one is a mystery to me...

GNXII
11-25-12, 07:57
I picked up a used (200rds through it!) USPV1 40 that had the small mag release...went to the laeger one and also converted the USP to use a LEM trigger. Best money I spent on the HK, do it and have zero regrets.

hotrodder636
11-25-12, 08:07
I have been wanting to do this to my HK40 USPc for a while now. After reading this thread I am now confident that it is a god idea and eas enough for me to do at home. Thanks!

RAM Engineer
11-25-12, 09:08
I picked up a used (200rds through it!) USPV1 40 that had the small mag release...went to the laeger one and also converted the USP to use a LEM trigger. Best money I spent on the HK, do it and have zero regrets.

I just bought the same model gun (also used) and I plan on making the same mods to it. As well as a jet funnel and Novak fiber optic sights. A do-it-yourself Custom Combat on the cheap. It is my first HK, so I'm quite looking forward to the experience.

GNXII
11-25-12, 12:10
It really not too difficult to swap out parts on the USP if you take your time and follow directions i.e. YouTube video, HK video etc.

Plumber237
11-25-12, 15:05
Thanks for posting this, that was one thing that I liked on the 45c's that I've handled, and my P30...didn't know they had an extended release, will definately be doing this to my USP 9.

2ac
11-25-12, 19:20
So much better isn't it? I did this shortly after acquiring my used P2k V3. I also converted to V1, light LEM, you might give it a try.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn237/chorizoisgood/Snapbucket/AE33E7B5-orig.jpg

kmrtnsn
11-25-12, 19:54
So much better isn't it? I did this shortly after acquiring my used P2k V3. I also converted to V1, light LEM, you might give it a try.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn237/chorizoisgood/Snapbucket/AE33E7B5-orig.jpg

I have to order an additional lever to do my P2000SK. I exchanged the paddles on her P2000 and my USPc to see if I liked the mod and I do. I have to stick with the regular LEM pull, which I like very much.

Yama Arashi
11-25-12, 21:48
I posted this on HKPro a while back.

I'll -sort of- be the naysayer when it comes to putting the HK45C extended magazine release lever on the USP models.

It's hit or miss on the full size USP 9 and 40, which use polymer magazines, and also use a standard catch that has a wider tab.

Caveat being, I never had a single issue with the extended release on a Compact or Full size USP in .45, either with inadvertent mag drops, or mags dropping under recoil.

My own reasons being that I felt the magazine dropped a bit *too easily*. The magazine release lever spring for the Compact models is actually a bit stiffer (slightly longer) than the full size spring, and I think a better pairing for the extended release.

That being said, it does make mag drops effortless, but I never had an issue with dropping the mags using the standard release as it was. For me, I feel it's one of those things that you don't consider an issue, or even consider in general, until someone brings it up on a forum. Of course, on the flip side, there are also people who truly feel the standard USP release is too small for various reasons, and/or have had issues getting a positive purchase on it.

Secondly, if you look at the bottom of a USP trigger guard with the mag release off, there is a little 'shelf' recessed into it, where the front edge of the mag release fits in perfectly flush. The front edge of the extended HK45C mag release actually extends past this small recess, and therefore does not let the tab tilt into the mag notch as far as the standard lever does. You can also see this visually when inserting a mag, and observing how far the lever tilts down as the mag body slides against it, before locking the mag into place. You can also look down into the mag well with the slide locked back, and compare the amount of travel. (Having two pistols side by side, one with the standard lever and one with the extended lever, makes this comparison much easier.) I believe the standard catch has a more positive lock in this regard, as well as more pressure into the mag notch. Although, the front edge could be dremeled down between the sides of the mag release to allow it to sit completely flush/recessed.

Again, I never had a single problem in my own experience, but narrowing that tolerance window doesn't sit well with me.

Take it for what it's worth. :)

montrala
11-26-12, 06:41
I posted this on HKPro a while back.

I'll -sort of- be the naysayer when it comes to putting the HK45C extended magazine release lever on the USP models.

It's hit or miss on the full size USP 9 and 40, which use polymer magazines, and also use a standard catch that has a wider tab.

HK45C magazine release was designed to work with steel body magazine for HK45C/USPc .45 and as such works great. But it is not designed for polymer body magazine of USP 9/40. It can be made to work reliably with those mags, but personally I would consider it "competition only" mod. For carry I would stick on using it only as upgrade to P2000 and USPc series and not USP.

Plumber237
11-26-12, 10:00
Thanks for the info Yama Arashi and montrala...I didn't know that these were only meant for the metal mags, or that because of the trigger guard notch the release won't stay all the way engaged.

RAM Engineer
11-30-12, 16:28
Secondly, if you look at the bottom of a USP trigger guard with the mag release off, there is a little 'shelf' recessed into it, where the front edge of the mag release fits in perfectly flush. The front edge of the extended HK45C mag release actually extends past this small recess, and therefore does not let the tab tilt into the mag notch as far as the standard lever does. You can also see this visually when inserting a mag, and observing how far the lever tilts down as the mag body slides against it, before locking the mag into place. You can also look down into the mag well with the slide locked back, and compare the amount of travel. (Having two pistols side by side, one with the standard lever and one with the extended lever, makes this comparison much easier.) I believe the standard catch has a more positive lock in this regard, as well as more pressure into the mag notch. Although, the front edge could be dremeled down between the sides of the mag release to allow it to sit completely flush/recessed.

So, is this "shelf" present on the P2000 also, or just the full-size USP?

Thanks,
Jason

Yama Arashi
11-30-12, 16:59
I can't say for sure, but my assumption would be yes, as it uses the same magazine release lever.

If you have that particular model in hand, you can push the mag release lever all the way down, and you'll be able to see the area I referred to.

It's just a little recess/step molded into the underside of the trigger guard itself, and the front middle edge of the slide release lever tilts right up into it.

paperchasin
12-01-12, 10:37
I have this "upgraded" mag release on my Full Size USP, P2000, & USP Compact. Great little upgrade!

On my Full Size USP, it was a drop in upgrade. I did not have to modify anything for it to work/fit. I have over 1k rounds thru my USP since and never had any issues with the magazines, etc.