PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for belt and holster

STAMarine
11-23-12, 19:49
I am a prosecutor in a small jurisdiction where we are basically responsible for our own security (no metal detectors in the courthouse, balif is there for the judge). Therefore, we all carry. Yes, prosecutors can carry in the courthouse in Virginia. I have carried a P229 for the past four years on belts that have all sucked. I look like a cowboy in a western sometimes, so I need a belt that will support my OWB holster, but still look like it was meant to wear with a suit. Any suggestions?

Also, I have a HK45c on the way and if I like it, I may start carrying it. I've done a search for CCW holsters for a HK45c with no luck. Does anyone carry a 45c? If so, what belt do you use?

11-23-12, 19:52
Check out thebeltman.net Awesome gun belts that don't stick out like a tacticool guy. Different widths, colors, and choices of buckles.

But wow, no metal detectors at the minimum? :eek:

STAMarine
11-23-12, 20:05
Check out thebeltman.net Awesome gun belts that don't stick out like a tacticool guy. Different widths, colors, and choices of buckles.

Nope. They bring out the wands for murder trials.

STAMarine
11-23-12, 20:07

Oh, and thank you for the reply:p

Sikiguya
11-23-12, 20:14
I really like the galco belts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lomshek
11-23-12, 23:31
I have a Liger Gun Belt (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Liger-Gun-Belt-c16.htm) that I like the look of. Kind of a clean dress belt. You have to be careful about following the sizing instructions but it's incredibly stiff which means comfortable for carry.

If you are CCW'ing IWB then look at the holsters from Comptac, Crossbreed, Raven and Kaluban to name four that I've either used or had friends use. OWB opens up more options although I think the above companies make plenty of OWB options too.

Vic303
11-24-12, 06:26
I highly recommend Ken at www.customleatherbelts.com. I wear one of his belts daily. Great guy to work with and fast turn around too.

BioLayne
11-24-12, 09:43
if you don't mind waiting several weeks, I've been very happy with my Raven Phantom Modular holster. Conceals extremely well as OWB even.

Hogsgunwild
11-24-12, 10:17
I have two Mernickle double thick 1.5 inch belts that I have used for about eight years now. I have bought other belts since buying these but just love the looks and comfort of Bob's belts and double mag pouches. I have several of his holsters for 1911 for OWB that were excellent in their day.

I suspect that you will get a belt that is less than 1.5 inches for OWB business attire. Some of these in this link do not look too redneck or cowboyish and just might work. All of my Mernickle belts, holsters and mag pouches were done in Bob's "Sunset" style (two-tone with dark borders and lighter inside). On mine I ask him to hold the splatter (the darker dye splatters onto the lighter areas; it looks good but I prefer the cleaner, no splatter look). Great rigs and what I wear to training classes.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/bm_belts.html

It looks like only the PB1 model is made in a 1.25 inch belt. I know that the slimmer belts look better in business attire but are not quite as comfortable. The double thick in black, natural or mahogany brown might work.

I have looked at the Beltman's stuff before and they look to be a great recommendation.
Good luck.

cunroe
11-24-12, 11:15
"...CCW holsters...anyone carry a 45c? If so, what belt do you use?

I added a 45C to my carry options earlier this year but my primary use and resulting setup is not designed for a professional environment (mountain life and urban casual carry-use), may not be too helpful here. I currently run a Sparks VM 2 with 1.5" Wilderness Tactical Ti Instructor Belt (http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=1585&parent=142), 5-stitch. That said; I am looking to pickup one of these in short order, The Ultimate Belt (http://www.abetterbeltusa.com/the-ultimate-belt-dual-layer-gun-belts/) for this weapon/holster.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r14/cunroe/HKMS5.jpg

dyegator
11-24-12, 16:00
I've had very good luck with my Jones Tactical belts holding everything I use, from Raven to Blade-Tech.

Up1911fan
11-24-12, 16:10
In leather i'd look for something made of horsehide or with a stiffener. Kramer and JRC are my favorites. In a nylon rigger's style belt i've given up on my Wilderness in favor of a Volund Gearworks Atlas belt.

STAMarine
11-24-12, 16:54
Thank you guys! I really appreciate the help. I'll look over these and make an order shortly. No more low rider holsters for me!

xray 99
11-25-12, 16:21
I just took delivery of a black, 1.25 inch Beltman belt. Plenty stiff and it will fit suit trousers. Excellent product.

yhmspecter
11-25-12, 18:54
Ive been very very happy and comfortably carrying a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom LC on a Ares Gear ranger belt..With RCS's new quick Mount straps its a breeze for OWB or they have some great kevlar re enforced soft loops for IWB. And the Ranger belt is super stiff and provides a ridge surface for the holster to ride on.

Lone_Ranger
11-25-12, 20:37
Check out Mitch Rosen Express line, you can get a belt slide pancake holster, a belt, and a double magazine pouch, or single magazine-flashlight combo. The belts come in 1.25" and can be worn with a suit, they look just like a plain dress belt. The holster and mag pouch can be ordered with the same size belt loops as the belt. They have a three week delivery time. Which is not bad.

Raven Concealment, makes really nice holsters, if you like Kydex. But their "quick ship" products are still a 6-8 week wait.

Personally, I have Raven Kydex, for range/ field use, but like leather, if I'm going to be in a suit.

420ollie
11-25-12, 23:28
What about a Ares belt.

tha101
11-26-12, 07:36
http://originalsoegear.com/ > Ares belts.
You will get your belt within a week. Instead of waiting weeks to get the Ares.

Littlelebowski
11-26-12, 07:41
I'd get a nice belt from the below. Very happy with my JRC holster.

http://jrcholsters.com/accessories/custom-belts

Trajan
11-26-12, 08:16
http://originalsoegear.com/ > Ares belts.
You will get your belt within a week. Instead of waiting weeks to get the Ares.

Or you could buy the original and not support copy cats.

And you can buy them from Larue in two colors.

Littlelebowski
11-26-12, 08:25
I need a belt that will support my OWB holster, but still look like it was meant to wear with a suit.

Come on guys, read his description of his needs.

M4Guru
11-26-12, 09:02
I strongly prefer biothane for standard looking belts over leather, as they literally last forever and their properties for supporting a holster, looks, or fit never change as they don't stretch or soften. They also don't discolor or bleed when wet.

The Firstspear Line One belt works for me

darwing31
11-26-12, 13:49
Come on guys, read his description of his needs.

THIS!

I love my Ares ranger belt too but anyone wearing one with a suit would look like a tool.

Littlelebowski
11-26-12, 13:59
I strongly prefer biothane for standard looking belts over leather, as they literally last forever and their properties for supporting a holster, looks, or fit never change as they don't stretch or soften. They also don't discolor or bleed when wet.

The Firstspear Line One belt works for me

Looks really good. How stiff are they?

http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17588

STAMarine
11-26-12, 14:56
I've looked over all the recommendations and I think I'll go with the Beltman. I ordered a horsehide 1.25" that I think will go nicely with a suit. I like that he seems to be a small company and since some of you recommended him, that made the decision for me.

I'll look over your holster suggestions tonight. Thank you all.

JSantoro
11-27-12, 11:33
LL, think along the lines of a Volund or 5-stitch Wilderness belt, in terms of stiffness. Damned good, without the so-rigid-it-crackles of an Ares or similar.

The First Spear in black looks damned good, in terms of aesthetics for wearing with more formal clothes. Guru's description is on the money.

Muzzy
11-27-12, 22:57
I have carried a P229 for the past four years on belts that have all sucked. If so, what belt do you use?

The best leather belt that is very comfortable, has great finish, and is supportive (but not too stiff or thick) is the Galco CB series specifically the 1.5" CB3. This belt is CONTOURED and tapered in the front. {See how many of the makers mentioned before have contoured and tapered belts.} I have found other belts break you in before you break them in. Looks like a high quality dress belt already and has a solid brass nickel plated buckle. (Wearing it now.) Get it at optics planet when they have a nice coupon code of say 10% (google it) and the value is very good. http://www.opticsplanet.com/galco-cb.html

That said I have found with many holsters (esp leather) that a single thickness much thinner and even softer belt (but not too soft) is more comfortable and equally as good (sp with IWB holsters like the Crossbreed/MTAC style) because it wraps to your body without leaving gaps like rigid belts do. For iWB having a grippy surface on the inside of the holster means the requirements for the belt arent so great. So dont let the too thick, supportive, and rigid belt people take you too far into chiropractor land . . . The CB2 or 3 is just right for goldilocks for most IWB and OWB carry options. If you need a massively stiff belt then you have IMO too heavy a gun and/or the wrong type holster for your body type.

BTW the P229 is pretty heavy going loaded up. How about some lighter polymer? Dear Sir may I suggest an M+P Shield?

rathos
11-28-12, 00:47
I love the beltman and I think you made a great decision. If its not too late I would suggest you get the kydex stiffener with it. I have had mine for a little over six years now and it is still going strong. I ordered a brown one a year after and that one still looks like new

STAMarine
11-28-12, 09:56
The best leather belt that is very comfortable, has great finish, and is supportive (but not too stiff or thick) is the Galco CB series specifically the 1.5" CB3. This belt is CONTOURED and tapered in the front. {See how many of the makers mentioned before have contoured and tapered belts.} I have found other belts break you in before you break them in. Looks like a high quality dress belt already and has a solid brass nickel plated buckle. (Wearing it now.) Get it at optics planet when they have a nice coupon code of say 10% (google it) and the value is very good. http://www.opticsplanet.com/galco-cb.html

That said I have found with many holsters (esp leather) that a single thickness much thinner and even softer belt (but not too soft) is more comfortable and equally as good (sp with IWB holsters like the Crossbreed/MTAC style) because it wraps to your body without leaving gaps like rigid belts do. For iWB having a grippy surface on the inside of the holster means the requirements for the belt arent so great. So dont let the too thick, supportive, and rigid belt people take you too far into chiropractor land . . . The CB2 or 3 is just right for goldilocks for most IWB and OWB carry options. If you need a massively stiff belt then you have IMO too heavy a gun and/or the wrong type holster for your body type.

BTW the P229 is pretty heavy going loaded up. How about some lighter polymer? Dear Sir may I suggest an M+P Shield?

I've always been a Sig and 1911 man. I've tried Glocks, have nothing what-so-ever against them, and want to like them. They just aren't my thing. The 229 is a heavy gun so I'm looking around. It's just hard to get away from what you know. As I stated in my first post, this is a VERY rural area and our local guns store is just getting in M & Ps. I don't know a soul that actually has one that I can try out. I'll be looking into those when someone I know drops the coin on one so I can try it risk free.:p

Ranger325
11-28-12, 11:04
I cc my 45c in a Crown holster. (Crownholsters.com) It's a kydex holster and I have loops for but IWB & OWB. Very comfortable, great fit and good people to business with - FWIW.

I don't carry in a suit, so I'm no help on a belt.

rdc0000
11-28-12, 11:24
BELTMAN + MILT SPARKS SUMMER II. Get these and you will be satisified. No BS.

STAMarine
11-29-12, 14:17
Thanks guys. I hadn't heard of Crown before. I'm always interested in checking something new out. It looks like I'll have plenty of time to order a Milt Sparks though because my HK is still on back order.

Crimsonfish
11-29-12, 22:54
TT Gunleather manufactured by Occidental Leather.

http://www.ttgunleather.com/catalog/c7_p1.html