PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still carry a S&W 4506 or Beretta 96F on duty?

kaltblitz
02-17-08, 23:15
Anyone still carry a S&W 4506 or Beretta 96F on duty?

I currently carry a Glock 21 on duty, but was looking to have a backup duty gun should I need to send my Glock out for service or should I want to carry something different for a while.

My partner just switched from carrying a Glock 22 to a S&W 4506-1 and hasn't looked back. I found a 4506-1 for a decent price and am seriously considering buying it.

Just curious.

DocGKR
02-17-08, 23:58
Carried a 4566 on patrol for several years--great pistol.

John_Wayne777
02-18-08, 07:32
From what I understand the 4506 is a decent weapon. The all steel Smith pistols seem to do very well in police service.

I know a number of guys who carried or who carry a steel Smith .45 and they are pretty happy with the weapons.

Trigger
02-18-08, 08:05
We still use second and third generation 5906's. Our department purchased new 5906 tsw's also due adding six more positions.

rob_s
02-18-08, 08:19
Doesn't the Border Patrol still issue the 96? I'm pretty sure Florida Highway Patrol still does.

markm
02-18-08, 08:26
Doesn't the Border Patrol still issue the 96?

The 96d brigadier (.40) I believe. Unless that's changed.

But it's not an issue... they're not allowed to shoot anyone anyway.

kwb377
02-18-08, 08:58
I carried a 4506 several years ago. I installed an Ed Brown extended safety/decock lever (not sure if Brownells still has them) and had an action job done. I also installed the straight backstrap grip, as I much preferred it over the curved one.

I don't remember why I stopped carrying it (weight?), but IIRC I replaced it with a Beretta 96D Centurion. I never shot the .40 Berettas as well as I did the 9mm's, and wound up carrying several itinerations of the 92.

This thread reminded me of my old Smith...I may have to bribe my Dad into selling it back to me.

Noshoot
02-18-08, 14:45
I carried a 4506 for three years. When the trigger return spring broke (after owning for 6 months) my pistol was down HARD for 3 days while I waited for the dept smith to drill out rivet holding old spring, order new part overnight from Smith, then install and rivet in new spring.

I liked the feel and accuracy of the pistol, but one little broken T shaped leaf spring disabled it.

eta- shortly after I left the dept they went to Colt 1991's because of the continuing issues that the 4506's were having. Go figure....

Buck
02-18-08, 14:49
I carried (carry) my 4506, or the Smith & Wesson Dragoon as i called it, daily for years... They are very robust pistols... I only recently started to carry something for concealment reasons, but I would not hesitate to carry my 4506 in harms way where concealment was not a factor...

Buck

srfl
02-18-08, 16:46
Prior to my agency mandating we carry our SIGARMS .40's off-duty to the exclusion of being able to carry anything else off-duty, I occasionally carried a Beretta 96F Centurion. I had a 1911 mainspring and a Hartts Recoil Reducer installed.

Fine gun; never had a problem with it shooting Speer Gold Dot 165 grain JHPs or Winchester "Winclean" 165 grain brass enclosed base training ammunition.

condition 1
02-18-08, 18:50
IMHO, the 4506 was one of the best auto S&W's ever made, I traded mine for a sig 220 years ago, I sure do miss it. you don't see them for sale to much...

rhino
02-18-08, 21:56
The 3rd generation S&W pistols are some of the most underrated guns available. It's almost as if people don't know about them, or don't understand why some of their features are desirable.

First and foremost, they have an excellent trigger. Double action is as smooth or smoother than any on the market. The really cool thing is that the trigger reset is so short ... it makes subsequent shots a lot like shooting a 1911. (Aside from the new SIG-Sauer short reset trigger ... maybe), there isn't another conventional double action that has a trigger reset even close to the S&W.

They're reliable and rugged and you can get used pistols for modest prices.

srfl
02-18-08, 22:56
The 3rd generation S&W pistols are some of the most underrated guns available. It's almost as if people don't know about them, or don't understand why some of their features are desirable.

First and foremost, they have an excellent trigger. Double action is as smooth or smoother than any on the market. The really cool thing is that the trigger reset is so short ... it makes subsequent shots a lot like shooting a 1911. (Aside from the new SIG-Sauer short reset trigger ... maybe), there isn't another conventional double action that has a trigger reset even close to the S&W.

They're reliable and rugged and you can get used pistols for modest prices.

Agreed...while I don't own any S&W .45's, I have a 1006 with adjustable sights and a 1066. Both are excellent guns.

CFII
02-19-08, 15:57
While I dont have a job to carry on "duty", I am getting my 645 back from Novaks tmw after a full house job. I love the 2nd and 3rd gen smith pistols. They are hardy, smooth, and easy to shoot.

ToddG
02-19-08, 17:04
Doesn't the Border Patrol still issue the 96?

No. They purchased HK pistols off the ICE contract beginning in 2004. To the best of my knowledge, they have phased out the Berettas completely by now.

I'm pretty sure Florida Highway Patrol still does.

Unless something has changed recently, that's still correct. They were very happy with their 9mm Berettas for years, but shortly after a very successful shooting that was caught on helicopter-cam, someone running for president of their FPO (or equivalent) made upgrading caliber one of his big issues ... So right after proving how well their guns and ammo worked, they switched. Subsequently, they had reliability problems as well as reduced qualification rates.

But I suppose their bullets were more successfuller so it was all good. :rolleyes:

kaltblitz
02-19-08, 19:22
While I dont have a job to carry on "duty", I am getting my 645 back from Novaks tmw after a full house job. I love the 2nd and 3rd gen smith pistols. They are hardy, smooth, and easy to shoot.

PLEASE post pics of the gun when you get it back.

srfl
02-19-08, 23:22
Yes, FHP still carries the 96F; however I'm partnered with trooper from their investigations bureau....he mostly wears a suit/tie and carries a Glock 26 or 27. However, when he is in uniform, he carries his Beretta.

usaffarmer
02-20-08, 03:53
The Alaska State Troopers carrier the 4506 and the 4006 many years back. Trying to find them now is hard, at least the ones they had which have the Trooper badge engraved on the slide. They now carry glocks.

Deadduck
02-20-08, 09:51
Agreed...while I don't own any S&W .45's, I have a 1006 with adjustable sights and a 1066. Both are excellent guns.

I have a 1006 fixed sight. Excellent pistol. Very robust. Very heavy as well, but when shooting full 10mm loads, that isn't a bad thing.