PDA

View Full Version : HK USP translucent extended capacity mags - not suitable for duty?

RAM Engineer
11-25-12, 02:14
On HKs website they state:

"NOTE: Use of the "jet funnel" magazine well attachment and translucent high-capacity magazines on the USP Expert, USP Custom Combat, and USP Combat Competition, or as an accessory on other USP models is not recommended for military and law enforcement users."

Anyone know the reason for this? I know the issue P8 mags are/were translucent plastic, so presumably it's not a material durability issue.

Joe R.
11-25-12, 05:54
I do not know any reason why they would not be suitable for duty use. We used them regularly when I worked for the HK Training Division with good results.

gtmtnbiker98
11-25-12, 09:20
From what I've gathered, the basis for the disclaimer is due to the standard length USP magazines will not fit a jet funnel equipped pistol. The lack of interchangeability is a potential issue for LE and Military applications. It is not due to the quality of the jet funnel nor the quality of the jet funnel magazines.

RAM Engineer
11-25-12, 10:00
That sounds reasonable. Thanks all.

Plumber237
11-25-12, 15:09
I was wondering about this too, since I saw that same quote on the HK website...it made me think twice about doing a jet funnel mod.

djmorris
11-25-12, 15:15
As mentioned above, it's because of the standard USP mags not working in a jet funnel equipped USP. They are very high quality mags that are definitely suitable for duty use, otherwise.

Plumber237
11-25-12, 15:42
That was one reason that I thought it could possibly be (as I couldn't really see HK selling something that wasn't quality), seeing it brought up on here and confirmed within a week of me looking into trying a jet funnel is good luck I guess. Has anybody here who's used the jet funnel mags had any issues with them being too tall for closed mag pouches? Just curious, as I'm not sure how much taller they are compared to standard...

Lone_Ranger
11-25-12, 20:49
Well, I carried a full size USP, for duty use, and it wore a hole in the cruiser seat. An extended mag would made it very uncomfortable to sit. Your mileage may vary.

Joe R.
11-26-12, 12:07
The standard 13 round .40 USP mag comes in at just under 4 3/4" the jet funnel mags are 5 1/4".

The short answer to will they fit; I guess it depends on your mag pouch. I never had an issue since I use open top pouches.

bb223
12-02-12, 02:26
H&K's official response:

"Due to heavy use and abuse that mags used by military & L.E endure, they are not recommended to ensure reliable function. The high capacity of rounds and increased pressures exerted within the mags when left loaded for extended periods of time can affect feed lip position, mag spring tensile strength, and integrity of the polymer mag housing. HK recommends that they be used for "sporting purposes".