PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift for girlfriend

kstr0h
11-25-12, 14:26
So I have a question for everybody. I want to get my girlfriend a rifle. She really likes the .22 s&w m&p, and that's an idea but I'd rather buy her an actual ar 15.

She's around 5'1 and is 108lbs, very tiny. So I'm looking for a light weight rifle and preferably 14.5 inch barrel. Any suggestions?

I'm open to buying the rifle in pieces or complete, it doesn't matter to me.

Price range = 800ish or less.

zacii
11-25-12, 14:53
If you've got $800, might as well save $200 more and get a Colt 6920.

Otherwise, you could check out Palmetto State Armory.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

HardLuck682
11-25-12, 15:19
This : BCM 14.5" LW Upper (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-14-5-Mid-Length-LW-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw-bfh.htm)
with some MOE hand guards and a rear sight, mated with lower of your choice... can be done for just a little over your budget.

GH41
11-25-12, 15:55
Girls don't like tools! A gun is a tool. Buy her something shiny for Christmas and buy yourself another gun for her to use. GH

ST911
11-25-12, 19:14
So I have a question for everybody. I want to get my girlfriend a rifle. She really likes the .22 s&w m&p, and that's an idea but I'd rather buy her an actual ar 15.

Let her choose. If she likes and wants the .22, buy it and take her shooting. You can both benefit from it in the long term.

kstr0h
11-25-12, 19:18
Let her choose. If she likes and wants the .22, buy it and take her shooting. You can both benefit from it in the long term.

I was thinking the same thing, as in, now we will have more different rifles around. At the same time, i know she only wants it for the fact that its lighter and cheaper.

lethal dose
11-25-12, 19:23
If she's just shooting to shoot, get the dang .22. 5.56 is upwards of $.37 now.

AKDoug
11-25-12, 20:08
Always cracks me up that a 7lb purse is no issue for the girls, but a 7lb AR is too heavy.

I'd start her out on the .22 She will enjoy it more in the beginning. If she pans out and becomes marriage material, then it's time to move up to the 5.56

FChen17213
11-25-12, 20:56
Tiffanys. Not AR15. Women are not going to say what they really want. Chanel, Gucci, Prada, Versace.

If she wants to shoot for real, she'll take your AR.

jet66
11-25-12, 21:17
If she wants to shoot .22, instead of an AR-styled rifle maybe, go with a Ruger 10/22 and the difference in price worth of ammo and 25-rd mags.

kstr0h
11-25-12, 21:25
i get what you guys are all saying haha. For real though, she seriously is really into shooting and would love her own gun. she loves the ar15 but its a little out of her price range, thats why she was looking at the ar15 .22.

jet66
11-25-12, 21:29
My wife shoots a 10/22 AND a 5.56 AR carbine that she built, it's definitely not a 'but she's a girl' thing. The 10/22 is just a really good starting point, if she doesn't own any rifles. That goes for man OR woman, IMO.

As mentioned above, getting in to 5.56 ammo right now is no small investment, so you don't want to saddle her with something that might cost a little too much to enjoy as often as she would like. (Giggity.)

kstr0h
11-25-12, 21:36
My wife shoots a 10/22 AND a 5.56 AR carbine that she built, it's definitely not a 'but she's a girl' thing. The 10/22 is just a really good starting point, if she doesn't own any rifles. That goes for man OR woman, IMO.

As mentioned above, getting in to 5.56 ammo right now is no small investment, so you don't want to saddle her with something that might cost a little too much to enjoy as often as she would like. (Giggity.)

i hear that. Im on the fence. Im trying to figure out what would be best. a 22 is a great idea and the s&w being a ar15 look a like makes it even cooler. Its just at that price range, im only a few hundred away from a decent ar15. The ruger, however is cheaper.

Atchcraft
11-25-12, 22:18
Buying gifts for women sucks. Especailly a major purchase and one that involves an activity that you both enjoy together. When I bought my wife her first quad, i got her a crappy little "girl quad". You know, "to start her off on". We had fun for a few trips, i did anyway, and then she just quit. Said she hated the dunes after really enjoying it at first. Somehow, I figured out that maybe she was just frusterated at the lack of a decent ride. She wouldn't tell me, I had to guess. So, I got her a real quad. Now, I can't keep her off the dunes and she can give me a run for my money. There's a moral to the story... I think. If your going to get her involved, if you think shes actually into it, I'd go 5.56. That way she won't feel like a girl when shes shooting with the fellas.

Hydguy
11-26-12, 01:30
Look for a Colt 6720. It's the light weight 16" carbine.

Or you can go the built-it-yourself route and buy a light weight upper and BCG from BCM, and either go with a good stripped lower and build the lower yourself, or buy a complete lower and slap it together.

But you don't save any real money (if any at all) doing it the second way once you factor in shipping for the parts, and tools if you need them.

sjc3081
11-26-12, 04:12
Get her a vacuum. :)

fixit69
11-26-12, 06:47
Get her a vacuum. :)

That's a good way to get smacked upside the noggin.

The_War_Wagon
11-26-12, 07:42
Build her a dedicated .22 AR. That way, the lower is compatible with a real upper, when she's ready for 5.56. :D

markm
11-26-12, 07:55
Get her a shorty chambered in .300 Useless! :cool:

3 AE
11-26-12, 08:24
Always cracks me up that a 7lb purse is no issue for the girls, but a 7lb AR is too heavy.

That right there is golden! Why is it that the guy feels compelled to pay for the whole kit and kaboodle when it comes to outfitting their girlfriend's new hobby? Screw that. If she's serious about shooting, let her pay for her own damn gun! :laugh: Unless of course, you were planning on buying it for yourself to begin with and just using her as an excuse to put together that dream lightweight, mid-length, quad railed, RDS mounted, bangstick! :sarcastic:

Airhasz
11-26-12, 10:57
That right there is golden! Why is it that the guy feels compelled to pay for the whole kit and kaboodle when it comes to outfitting their girlfriend's new hobby? Screw that. If she's serious about shooting, let her pay for her own damn gun! :laugh: Unless of course, you were planning on buying it for yourself to begin with and just using her as an excuse to put together that dream lightweight, mid-length, SLICK railed, RDS mounted, bangstick! :sarcastic:

Fixed it..:D

BrigandTwoFour
11-26-12, 11:43
Hey, I resemble that remark!

My wife squeezed the trigger one time on my personal AR and then loudly exclaimed that she wanted one. I took that as my chance to build that BCM 16" middy pencil barreled lightweight I'd been wanting.

p22shooter30
11-26-12, 12:01
i assebled an ar with pink furniture for my wife for christmas last year and she loves it. its light weight and she can carry it easily when she deer hunts with it. she doesnt like shooting the 556 rounds throught it because they have more pop she says, she likes the wolf 223 because it doesnt have near the recoil.

glocktogo
11-26-12, 12:25
This : BCM 14.5" LW Upper (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-14-5-Mid-Length-LW-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw-bfh.htm)
with some MOE hand guards and a rear sight, mated with lower of your choice... can be done for just a little over your budget.

This. You could get CMMG .22 conversion for it later that wouldn't cost too much, then you have a cheap trainer and a viable defense rifle in one package.

Suwannee Tim
11-26-12, 18:19
I'd look at the Colt before I bought a S&W but the Smith is a great gun. My advice for anyone getting their second AR, get a 22. I shoot the shit out of mine. An LMT MRP btw. :D

El Cid
11-26-12, 18:46
I concur with the Colt 6720 recommendation. $975 here:
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COAR6720.aspx

lwrkeysfisher
11-26-12, 18:49
Listen to her and buy her what she wants; my guess is it will cost much less than an AR. Then spend the remainder of your money on ammo for your guns and have fun shooting them with her.

Famine
11-26-12, 18:52
Is she planning to shoot purely for recreation or does she actually want to learn to fight with the weapon? If it's the former, get her whatever she actually wants. If that's an M&P15-22, so be it.

Do that and maybe she'll repay you with "Thanks-for-the-rifle" lingerie.

TheJawn
11-26-12, 18:55
If you're not going to ask her again what she wants, then i think you should get her what she originally asked for- a 15-22. You could also get her cool cat stuff like an eotech, rail covers, vert grip, sling, magazines, and 10 bricks of ammo.

Casull
11-26-12, 19:26
I don't know your girlfriend, dude. Both of those sound like awesome gifts, and the AR .22 is a great step towards her wanting a real AR if that's the kind of person she is. Plus it cost less to shoot! very comfy range days would be in the future.

If you really have the cash and think she's the one, then a real AR with a .22 conversion could be a gem. She can shoot .22, but know she's got the real deal so she can pop off some 5.56.

But hey, if you don't believe in conversions, the .22 itself is still really awesome.

BCM LW will do great. imho.

cthompson36
11-26-12, 20:27
whatever you do, don't buy her one of those sandwich cookers..... doesn't work out well...

a .22 would work much better too

HalliganJoel
11-27-12, 11:59
I agree with the sentiments of some of the others:

If she likes shooting .22 and has shown ANY interest I would absolutely get her one. No need to get anything bigger and risk turning her off.

JohnAL
11-27-12, 20:43
Buy her what she wants, not what you think she should have.

fallenromeo
11-28-12, 10:47
agree completely that you should buy her the .22 if that is what she wants. But, if you do go 5.56, I would not suggest the Colt as some members have. If she is as small as you say she is, I would start her on a little softer shooting mid-length.

kstr0h
11-28-12, 22:06
Some how I got unsuscribed to this thread..weird..oh well. Il have to ask again somehow without giving it away to make sure which she really wants.

I know she loves the AR. She has shot mine and all that. Her only complaint was that it was two heavy. She's also concerned with the price of 223/556 ammo (not cheap).

So basically:
She wants a light AR but the Ammo may be a problem. She does however want to hang with the "big boys". The smith and wessen she liked is cool but $500. Id rather spend more and get a nice Ar15 for her. She's super into shooting like me and is down for all sorts of training. One positive is we can split a case and all that every once and while.

Airhasz
11-28-12, 22:24
FWIW my gal enjoys the M&P 15/22 but will shoot the AR 15 if I coax her. Since I supply the ammo I know it is because she likes the light weight and soft shooting 22LR.

JackFanToM
11-30-12, 19:59
Grab a remington 597 for $159, 30 round mag, brick of ammo, rimfire scope, peep sight scope rings, and a case for less than $270 total and spend your $530 savings on ammo for you. I just did that for my wife. I get a cheap shooter, she will shoot it more often (so I get permission and company on the range). Win win win

Pappabear
12-01-12, 01:20
Get her a shorty chambered in .300 Useless! :cool:

No no no , get her a 5lb mountain rifle in 300WSM. Name it Gentle Ben! She will never forget you.

All BS aside, Get her the 10/22, but make it one of those nice bull barrel jobbers so you can like it to. :D

bp7178
12-01-12, 12:42
Don't buy a girl a rifle for Christmas. Bad idea.

ge_traveler
12-02-12, 00:16
I built my wife a Daniel Defense lightweight 16" mid-length for our anniversary last year and it went over very well. She had no idea I was building one just for her. It's right at 6 lbs with no mag.

She hadn't asked for one but loves to shoot. I was relieved when she smiled and hugged my neck. That could have been a "what were you thinking" moment but it turned out great.

persuader
12-02-12, 00:36
If it gets her interested in going to the range with you, buy her watever she wants. Women love the .22 because it's less intimidating than a centerfire cartridge and it's FUN to shoot; which means hours of plinking and marksmanship practice for both of you.

My wife has an AR and shoots it well. But on the rare occasions we actually go to the range together, she is happiest bustng clay pigeons with her custom built, purple 10-22. :D

Like others have said, build her confidence and skill with .22, spend some quality time with her and then let her pick her own defensive rifle when shes ready.

jet66
12-02-12, 04:07
Don't buy a girl a rifle for Christmas. Bad idea.

I just learned how right you are.

She wants a trolling motor instead. Girls and their frilly things... :D

Magic_Salad0892
12-02-12, 04:57
It's easier and cheaper to get proficient with a .22.

However, have you considered a 5.45x39mm AR?

Suwannee Tim
12-02-12, 06:45
It's easier and cheaper to get proficient with a .22.

However, have you considered a 5.45x39mm AR?

I am not confident in the continuing availability of surplus 5.45mm. One executive order and it could all vanish from US distributors. If you can't shoot surplus 5.45 you might as well shoot 5.56.

bp7178
12-02-12, 08:25
I just learned how right you are.

She wants a trolling motor instead. Girls and their frilly things... :D

No, she actually wants a 10/22. Not only a gun, but a shitty one at that.

Dustin Cantrell
12-02-12, 09:50

10/22s are shitty guns?

bp7178
12-02-12, 12:40
By itself no, they have a place. I don't see the value in them, I'd rather buy a .22 M&P if I wanted a viable .22 platform.

The problem is gun bubbas always seem to buy a 10/22 and then come across a Cheaper Than Dirt Catalog.

Then its only a matter of time.

SPQR476
12-02-12, 13:43
Doesn't mean the base platform is no good. The 10/22 with a tac-sol std wt bbl. does everything I want from a .22, although the manual of arms is unique. If you want a trainer, OK... Get an AR copy, but nothing wrong with a 10/22 for .22 "tasks".

Poorly chosen accessories can mess up anything, so it's not a 10/22 problem, although there are indeed a lot of cheesy accessories for them out there.

Magic_Salad0892
12-02-12, 13:50
I am not confident in the continuing availability of surplus 5.45mm. One executive order and it could all vanish from US distributors. If you can't shoot surplus 5.45 you might as well shoot 5.56.

Even Hornady's stuff is still pretty cheap though.

jet66
12-02-12, 14:15

I was making a joke about what my wife said she wants this year - A trolling motor. Seriously. :p

She already has a Glock 26, a mid-length carbine that we built together, and a 10/22. The craziest things she has bought for the Ruger are a few 25-rd mags and a 4X scope. If someone has to have something in 'tactical .22,' I recommend one of the .22 ARs in that case. I don't see the point in buying a 10/22 and then putting pointless/aesthetic parts on it, it defeats the original purpose of going with it in the first place.

bp7178
12-02-12, 15:40
Strangely enough I feel the same about AKs...

M4Fundi
12-02-12, 18:20
Girls don't like tools! A gun is a tool. Buy her something shiny for Christmas and buy yourself another gun for her to use. GH

I agree with this... get her 2000 pieces of newly tumbled brass and a progressive reloader and buy yourself a Noveske:p

Dustin Cantrell
12-02-12, 19:33
By itself no, they have a place. I don't see the value in them, I'd rather buy a .22 M&P if I wanted a viable .22 platform.

The problem is gun bubbas always seem to buy a 10/22 and then come across a Cheaper Than Dirt Catalog.

Then its only a matter of time.

I gotcha. I usually grab my .22 LR AR for semi auto rimfire rifle or my CZ 455 Varmint for rimfire rifle precision shooting. The 10/22 stays in the safe usually, but that doesn't mean it's not a fine rifle. I don't see the need to do one up in a tactical fashion, though, which I think is what you're referring to.

Stangman
12-02-12, 20:17
If the choice goes from gun to jewelry, let me know & I'll make a m4c discount code for my site. ;)

AdamNCNN
12-02-12, 21:45
I built my girlfriend a 5.56 rifle, Moe furniture, k grip, 14.5" with a pinned SJC brake. Sweetest little AR you could ever learn on. Had it hydrographically coated in muddy girl camo and the barrel done in cerakote pink. Looks great shoots awesome.

The best part is that she loves it.

Sent via chisel and slate via Tapatalk 2

7 RING
12-03-12, 12:16
Women are like bass. They like anything shiny, cars, jewelry, etc.

My wife once gave me a litte gift giving advice. She told me "don't buy me anything I can hurt you with." I did not follow her advice and bought her a pistol for her birthday.

A 10-22 is a good rifle that would last her for years. A dedicated AR-15 in .22LR would be a nice gift, but it would cost a bit more. Don't buy her a vacuum, a self improvement video or hair removal products unless you like living outdoors.

PetesM4
12-03-12, 19:38
I say get her the AR!

Personal story:

Bought my first gun, and my fiance thought it was a dumb idea and another hobby to waste money on.

She wasn't took excited, but took her to the range and she was shooting pretty well without feeling scared or intimidated. So, she shot her first shots were through a Sig P226 Tac Ops (9mm).

Next, I bought a M&P 15-22 because I wanted an "AR", but didn't want to pay .223/5.56 ammo prices. I think this is a really fun gun, and I've got it setup for some fun shooting (several different grip options, scope, and 45 degree angle sites). All the different kind of shooting fun you can have at .03 cents a shot!!

At the range, she'll shoot the 15-22 maybe once or twice, then stick to shooting the P226. If you ask her why, she says the 15-22 is too easy. You simply aim, pull the trigger, and hit the target. No recoil + easy to shoot = no fun. She likes the challenge of the handgun.

Then I bought a Colt 6920. Took that to the range, and she actually shot it first before me! I'm not sure what her favorite is between the 6920 and the 226, but the 15-22 is definitely in last place.

She has wanted a "chick chick boom" (her name for a tactical shotgun with pistol grip (no stock)). Why? I don't know, she thinks it's cool to shoot a shotgun from the hip. We shot one at an outdoor range, and I bought her a Mossberg 500 for Christmas (though she doesn't know it yet). Actually, I think she knows it because she has mentioned googling what ranges we can shoot a shotgun at (but we don't yet own a shotgun!!).

Anyway, she's a VERY girly girl. But I've taken her to the range a bunch, and taught her a lot. For this, she has learned to like the challenge of shooting, and actually LIKES going to the range with me. I don't have to drag her.

So, if you're g/f wants an AR...get her one. Don't go with a 15-22 just because it is cheap and easy to shoot...because maybe for those reasons she won't like it!

Good luck anyway with your choice!!

brizower
12-09-12, 11:13
I suggested an AR to my wife for Xmas and she ate it up. She loves to shoot mine, but it's a slight bit too heavy for her. She's right in the same build at 5'1"/105lbs. I've started to order parts and she's pretty stoked. I am trying to go with a 14.5" BCM middy with a LW barrel, to keep it a little more manageable for her.

So far I've ordered:

Mega forged lower
DD LPK
MOE stock
MOE Forend
BAD lever
MVG
MOE grip
MBUS

She likes foliage, so that's what I got. I showed her the pink MOE stuff and she almost puked.:D

I'm not 100% set on what I'm going to do about an upper just yet. G and R is showing all 14.5" pinned BCM uppers out of stock, I emailed him to see if he has any.

My opinion... that's an expensive gift for a girlfriend. Buy her the .22 she wants, and save the loot for a ring down the road if she sticks around, then build her an AR.

ayeaton
12-09-12, 14:35
I thought of this as well for my wife. After some though and time to reflect, I admitted to myself that she should never make use of it and it would just sit in my safe unused. I decided to just get a pink furniture kit, that way, just take a min to change it out and there you go - non girly rifle again. And if she does want to shoot, throw it back on.