PDA

View Full Version : Training for running and shooting

Fr0gger
11-25-12, 15:58
I'm a distance runner, and I'm trying to incorporate some upper body strength training into my daily workout. What I've been finding is that running alone won't cut it, because a strong core (and upper body in general) is important to maintain good running form when I get tired.

I thought that I would do this by incorporating some pushups, pullups, and a general core workout (probably P90x abs) into my routine, but I thought that while I was at it I could also do some training that would help me with shooting. My back and shoulders aren't really developed, and they tend to hurt when shooting for extended time periods, especially when I adopt a more aggressive shooting stance.

My problem here is that I'm not sure what others types of exercises I should do to help with shooting. I know that I need to work on my forearms, shoulders, and back, and I also understand that there is some overlap between the strength training for running and shooting (i.e. core). However, I've noticed that a lot of the exercises suggested to shooters involve power-oriented, heavy weight lifting-type exercises, and bulk is not something I want for running.

Can anyone give any suggestions for some exercises that would be good for my situation? I'm a collegiate runner and have access to a weight room, but I prefer calisthenic exercises. I realize that the training for these two sports can kind of be at odds, but I'm willing to compromise. Also, I understand that a daily routine is not ideal for optimizing growth, but I'm okay with that too. Thanks in advance.

1371USMCFL
11-25-12, 17:40
Crossfit Endurance is honestly something you should look into. Doing a basic crossfit style workout a couple times a week (like "Cindy") combined with your endurance training will improve your ability to be the weapon's master, not it's bitch. If you have a Barnes & Noble near you, check out Power Speed Endurance by Brian Mackenzie.

theblackknight
11-25-12, 20:17
I doubt you will bulk up much doing heavy stuff with your running schedule, if you do, lucky asshole!

For pistol, you need http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/images10/gripper3.gif

Abraxas
11-26-12, 06:35
I second the Crossfit. There are several runners and even a few tri-athletes at my CF gym, and all have claimed better times.

WillBrink
11-27-12, 09:28
I'm a distance runner, and I'm trying to incorporate some upper body strength training into my daily workout. What I've been finding is that running alone won't cut it, because a strong core (and upper body in general) is important to maintain good running form when I get tired.

I thought that I would do this by incorporating some pushups, pullups, and a general core workout (probably P90x abs) into my routine, but I thought that while I was at it I could also do some training that would help me with shooting. My back and shoulders aren't really developed, and they tend to hurt when shooting for extended time periods, especially when I adopt a more aggressive shooting stance.

My problem here is that I'm not sure what others types of exercises I should do to help with shooting. I know that I need to work on my forearms, shoulders, and back, and I also understand that there is some overlap between the strength training for running and shooting (i.e. core). However, I've noticed that a lot of the exercises suggested to shooters involve power-oriented, heavy weight lifting-type exercises, and bulk is not something I want for running.

Can anyone give any suggestions for some exercises that would be good for my situation? I'm a collegiate runner and have access to a weight room, but I prefer calisthenic exercises. I realize that the training for these two sports can kind of be at odds, but I'm willing to compromise. Also, I understand that a daily routine is not ideal for optimizing growth, but I'm okay with that too. Thanks in advance.

At this point, instead of looking for specific exercises to improve your shooting, I'd look to a well balanced program that covers the essential components of fitness. Something like:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28226

rackham1
11-27-12, 10:06
I'm a collegiate runner...

Are you a competitive runner, i.e., an athlete on the school's intercollegiate team? That makes a big difference in what kind of answers you need.

I was an intercollegiate athlete and in my experience, one has to be careful about "outside" workouts. Even though your objective is good.

Fr0gger
11-29-12, 12:36
Thank you all for your advice. I'll look into general fitness programs like the crossfit and packages like the TRX. In the meantime, I'll get started with some exercises like those I had mentioned before. I have one of those grip trainers (I just have to find it first...).

rackham1,

Yes, I run competitively. We're a NCAA DIII school, so it's not like I'm here on a running scholarship, but my team still counts on me to perform. Is there anything you think I should stay away from?

chuckman
12-03-12, 04:28
For upper body strength and endurance to 'hold things up' (i.e., rifle, pistol) for a long time and over and over and over..., in training, exercises that work the shoulders (front, lat, post), upper back, triceps/biceps/and chest. To work on these in one swoop I like a circuit with push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and military presses. You can do these things free so you can save your money to get laid and drink beer....you know, normal college extracurricular activities! :)

the_master_midget
12-03-12, 13:28
something i have incorporated into my running is some burpies to push up to pull up. i go to the local park and do 5-10 reps then jog to the next soccer goal until i reach a set of 50. then run for 15-30 more minutes then do another set of 50 in 5-10 reps. its prob. the best full body work out i have done with out weights. i change it up and do time trials to 50-100 reps and have seen excellent gains. the key it form and hanging from the soccer goal before the pull up is attempted. running between the goal lines become you recovery period.

dseduce
12-20-12, 01:17
Try to balance your muscle groups out when you work out...i love it when i see top heav or bottom heavy dudes trying to run....ill agree with the cross fit. Great way to strengthen and ballence your muscles .also doing what we do by getting in full kit and gear and just going hard.

DevilDoc1138
01-18-13, 20:04
I like doing crossfit and short runs wearing body armor for combat fitness. It allows you to feel a lot more comfortable and agile when you are wearing it on field ops or at the range.

Vellson
01-22-13, 04:37
Well cross fit and running are my favorite workout practices. They are affective for maintaining physical fitness and improving stamina. They allow to achieve fitness goal more quickly.