PDA

View Full Version : LEO, looking for patrol Rifle

mr fixit
11-25-12, 21:03
I've been here a while, reading and trying to learn. I have several AR's that I have built myself. I say that just to point out that I know there is a big difference in what I have built and what I would take on duty.

I am about to buy a rifle for work. It will also be used for fun shooting and even hunting, but it is primarily a work rifle that I will hopefully never have to use for that purpose, but I need to know I can if I need to.

My budget is 'about' $1100. Unless I find a reason to do otherwise, I am planning on a Colt 6920, either in standard or Mag Pul form. But before I do, I want to make sure I am up to date on brands so to speak. So, a few questions if you don't mind;

are Colts still considered top quality "working" rifles
Are there other brands within the same price range to consider with the same or better quality
is there any comparison with a PSA Patrol Rifle Package
just for grins what about the SIG 556

Again, looking for a dead solid dependable rifle I can trust my life, and the lifes of others to. I'm planning on a basic rifle, then adding a light soon after. Possibly adding optics like a red dot at a later time. Other than duty use, I will use it for hunting with heavy bullets on Hogs, coyotes, and possibly deer.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated

SteveS
11-25-12, 21:05
The proven highest quality ARs are Colt. BCM and Daniel defense. In any order.

mr fixit
11-25-12, 21:07
The proven highest quality ARs are Colt. BCM and Daniel defense. In any order.

Just to be sure, BCM is Bravo company?

Iraqgunz
11-25-12, 21:07
You can't go wrong with a 6920. Some Walmarts still have them for 1097.00.

FChen17213
11-25-12, 21:10
Colt 6920 would be excellent I think everyone here would agree. DDM4V1 and Colt SocomII would be a great gun too as well as BCM. However, I suspect the classic 6920 may fit the bill as a solid Patrol Rifle the best.

Iraqgunz
11-25-12, 21:16
I omitted the BCM simply because a complete rifle can be a biatch to locate and some departments have issues with parts guns. I would venture that many would allow a factory Colt.

Colt 6920 would be excellent I think everyone here would agree. DDM4V1 and Colt SocomII would be a great gun too as well as BCM. However, I suspect the classic 6920 may fit the bill as a solid Patrol Rifle the best.

ericl
11-25-12, 21:22
To reiterate what others have said, Colt, BCM (BravoCompany), or DD will do the job. Having been a LEO, I understand budget is an issue, so whichever has the bells and whistles you require, get whichever one you can find the best price on. Since you have experience with builds, have you given thought to your preference of a mid or carbine length gas system? Not trying to spur a debate on which is better, both have good attributes and most of it is pure preference. However, BCM has a great mid-length that comes with Magpul MOE handguards (not a free-float setup, which will save weight and $$) which would allow the attachment of a light at a later time......a necessity if you work the back shifts. For a patrol rifle, one obviously wants it to be accurate; however, the extra money spent on a free-float setup is not necessary IMHO. Good luck and stay safe.

Merle
11-25-12, 21:33
Just wondering but why wouldn't you trust one you put together yourself for duty use?

mr fixit
11-25-12, 21:36
Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions. Looks like my thinking of Colt was still on the money. Now the real decision, since I posted my questions I found my dealer has several Colt versions, I just have to decide which one:

COLT-LE6920MP-B Price $1,059.95
COLT-LE6920 Price $995.95
COLT-AR6720 Price $979.95
COLT-AR6721 Price $979.00

These are Individual Officer prices.

mr fixit
11-25-12, 21:39
Just wondering but why wouldn't you trust one you put together yourself for duty use?

Only because the ones I have put together so far have been from the cheapest parts kits and pieces I could find just to build a plinker. They were not meant to go into harms way.

Now, would I trust my own build if I built it with top quality parts with the intention of building a rifle to stake my life on? Yes I would under that criteria of best parts. But, I have found that I can build a cheaper gun than I can buy, or I can build a gun as good as I can buy, but I can't build a gun as good as I can buy cheaper than I can purchase it already done.

blackbox
11-25-12, 21:43
The proven highest quality ARs are Colt, BCM and Daniel defense in any order.

'nuff said!

cop1211
11-25-12, 21:44
I vote for the 6920 Magpul, that's the one I advised 3 junior officers to go with, all 3 actually listened and they all bought one.

cop1211
11-25-12, 21:46
'nuff said!

Don't forget my favorites NOVESKE and KAC.

fourXfour
11-25-12, 21:48
Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions. Looks like my thinking of Colt was still on the money. Now the real decision, since I posted my questions I found my dealer has several Colt versions, I just have to decide which one:

COLT-LE6920MP-B Price $1,059.95
COLT-LE6920 Price $995.95
COLT-AR6720 Price $979.95
COLT-AR6721 Price $979.00

These are Individual Officer prices.

We have mostly 6721's and a few newer 6920's on patrol. Other than replacing springs they have held up very well. Great guns

If I could pick my own, I would go with a pencil barrel 6720, preferably with Magpul furniture. I don't know how many rounds your planning on putting down range each year, but a 6720 would hold up just fine for quals and the occasional training day for many years. I'd prefer the light weight especially if I'm stuck holding it all night or hiking around with it. Eventually all you need is a sling, white light and maybe an aimpoint micro

mr fixit
11-25-12, 21:59
We have mostly 6721's and a few newer 6920's on patrol. Other than replacing springs they have held up very well. Great guns

If I could pick my own, I would go with a pencil barrel 6720, preferably with Magpul furniture. I don't know how many rounds your planning on putting down range each year, but a 6720 would hold up just fine for quals and the occasional training day for many years. I'd prefer the light weight especially if I'm stuck holding it all night or hiking around with it. Eventually all you need is a sling, white light and maybe an aimpoint micro

How much difference in barrel size is there? is there an upper limit on what the barrel will handle?

Toyoland66
11-25-12, 22:18
The 6920 has the govt profile barrel with the m203 notch, the profile is shown well in this link (hopefully scottryan doesn't mind)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92638

The 6720 basically profiles the entire barrel to the smaller diameter under the handguards of the 6920 and is a smaller diameter under the front sight block (.625" vs .750"). I don't think you are giving much up accuracy wise with the pencil barrel since the govt profile barrel has the weight in the wrong places for accuracy.

I would go with the 6720 personally with MOE handguards for modularity. I am personally not a big fan however of the mbus sight and moe stock that comes on the moe version, however the moe grip and trigger guard are nice to have - this is all just personal preference.

Voodoo_Man
11-25-12, 22:29
Few places online sell the 6920 for under $1,000, which is a killer deal.

PA PATRIOT
11-25-12, 22:32
A 6920 is a very good choice but as far a furniture on the rifle just make sure it will not interfere with the locking rack in your patrol vehicle if it is equipped with one.

gigag04
11-25-12, 22:38
I just got an LE6920 for patrol. Great choice IMO.

BigLarge
11-25-12, 23:39
Out of the options you gave, i'd choose a Colt 6721. Ive used a 9 pound rifle on duty before. Never again. I cannot foresee a LEO-involved shooting incident which would require a 6920 barrel over the lighter 6721.

edit: According to impactguns the 6721 has a 1-9 twist barrel. The 6720 has a 1-7. Might want to confirm that. This probably changes things for a pig gun, not so much for a patrol rifle tho.

10-35
11-26-12, 00:14
6920 or 6940 depending on your needs. At this point, my choice would be the 6940 with an Aimpoint. You can get factory parts through Brownells. Armorer classes are abundant. The rifles hold up well. I've had good luck with colt customer service.

NorthTexan
11-26-12, 00:15
I don’t know what department you work for but mine has a very strict policy regarding what AR’s are approved for purchase by the individual officer for duty use. The only two are Colt and RR. Aftermarket hand guards and grips are ok but no modification or aftermarket FCG, bolt, or piston systems. Hands down the majority of the troops pay the extra cash and carry Colt. Vicarious liability is only a wonderful thing for attorneys. Good luck.

Iraqgunz
11-26-12, 00:16
The problem with the 6940 is that it is generally not serviceable by the end user. You need special tools for the sight and the barrel and the rail space sucks (IMO).

6920 or 6940 depending on your needs. At this point, my choice would be the 6940 with an Aimpoint. You can get factory parts through Brownells. Armorer classes are abundant. The rifles hold up well. I've had good luck with colt customer service.

NYH1
11-26-12, 01:20
I'm not a LEO but I have owned and used AR15's for the past 10 or so years. I currently have a Stag Model 1 with the Plus Package, with a drop in quad rail, a Troy aluminum front hand grip and a Aimpoint PRO Optic. I'm going to put a light on it. It's a standard gov. profile barrel setup carbine. I really like it, it's a blast to shoot. I don't plan on getting rid of it, it's a keeper.

That being said my next AR15 is going to be a Colt AR6720 Lightweight Carbine. I'm going to set it up to be as light as I can when it's all said and done. If I put a quad rail on it, it'll be the lightest one I can get. Same go's for a front hand grip if I put one on it and a light. If I go with an optic, most likey I will, I'll take a good look at one of the Aimpoint Micro Optic's.

I think a AR6720 setup as I plan to do with mine when I get it would make a great patrol rifle. Nice and light, Colt reliability, good to go!

Good luck and let us know what you get, NYH1!

10-35
11-26-12, 01:32
The problem with the 6940 is that it is generally not serviceable by the end user. You need special tools for the sight and the barrel and the rail space sucks (IMO).

I agree reference the 7" rail and the few non standard parts. When you take into account the "average" guy on patrol, 7" works well. Keep in mind they are going to attach a TLR-1 at best for a light. For the amount they shoot, gas rings are about the only wear part they wear out.

For the more advanced user I totally agree.

ZGXtreme
11-26-12, 03:46

Will provide you with the reliability you need without the excess weight which could become tiring while on a perimeter, etc. the 6920 is a great weapon but unless you're going to be using a M203, it offers you nothing more than the 6720 would in a lighter package. I've seen the 6720 under a thousand at GT Distributors.

ST911
11-26-12, 09:34
6920 is a safe, easy choice.

I carried a 6920 for a few years, then switched to a 6720 for the LW barrel. I also run a BCM 11.5. Issue guns are BCM and Colts. There are a few others I would consider duty-ready as well, but the list is short.

Out of the options you gave, i'd choose a Colt 6721. Ive used a 9 pound rifle on duty before. Never again. I cannot foresee a LEO-involved shooting incident which would require a 6920 barrel over the lighter 6721.

edit: According to impactguns the 6721 has a 1-9 twist barrel. The 6720 has a 1-7. Might want to confirm that. This probably changes things for a pig gun, not so much for a patrol rifle tho.

6721 is a 1/9 HBAR. It's duty quality, but some may find the extra weight undesirable, or want the 1/7.

Sierra276
11-26-12, 23:41
Mr Fixit
Depending on your department policies, you may want to start out with a more maneuverable weapon platform, such as a 12.5” barreled upper.
After working Patrol for over 20years, I found that a 12.5” could do anything and more than a 16” carbine could do… Less weight, smaller package, ( easier to maneuver in and out of tight spaces ).
It may take more time to locate the specific upper, that would qualify for this type of service, but in the long run, I believe you would be achieving a more up-to date fighting weapon for your patrol duties, and one that would still be very reliable.

whick1
11-27-12, 07:11
For the price hard to beat a Colt. Being a LEO I would check out budspolicesupply.com

One of the deputies in my dept. recently ordered a Colt 6720 which is the lightweight version of the 6920. He got it for $957.00 shipped. If I were planning on mounting a light to it which IMO is essential to any duty or self defense weapon I would look at the Magpul versions which are about $100 higher usually. This will make it much easier to mount a light or other accessories to the forend.

rcpd34
11-27-12, 08:16
Have you made your decision yet? I just ordered 5 LE6933's for some guys at work. They are PD trade-ins with only a few mags through each. They are $1150/ea. I can give you complete specs if interested. Be aware this is an NFA weapon which will require a one time $200 tax to the ATF. In my opinion, SBR's are the way to go for patrol rifles.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=14251&d=1353902335

Dano5326
11-27-12, 12:48
For work.. your #1 thought should be with regard to liability. Make sure your choice fits written policy, keep a dated copy.

Aside from that, a quality AR isn't wrong.

Yama Arashi
11-27-12, 13:53
Does your department have an approval list of particular brands?

I prefer the LMT MRP, but with your budget of 1100, I'd go with either the Colt 6920, or a standard LMT Defender patrol rifle.

http://www.lmtstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/q/cqb_mrp_defender_model_16_1.jpg

http://www.lmtstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/e/defender_standard_patrol_model_16.jpg

http://www.lmtstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/e/defender_standard_model_16_sopmod_stock.jpg

Norinco
11-27-12, 14:13
Just a heads up on good Colt prices.
Just picked up a 6721 from them for $979

http://www.gtdist.com/SearchResults.aspx?&Keyword=COLT-

aguila327
11-27-12, 14:35
For work.. your #1 thought should be with regard to liability. Make sure your choice fits written policy, keep a dated copy.

Aside from that, a quality AR isn't wrong.

As one of the guys with input into my dept. policies I see how municipal lawyers will stick to the simpliest policy. That being, Brand names. If it says Colt on the side they are happy. Also most PD administrators fall into the same category.

Its rare to have a long time firearms instructor or a Firearms knowledgable Capt or Chief in the HQ staff so they tend to stick with brand names for the sake of simplicity. In other words: Stck with Colt, but know that they would accept any big name (ie; Bushmaster, RRA, Remington)

gigag04
11-27-12, 15:08
Does your department have an approval list of particular brands?

I prefer the LMT MRP, but with your budget of 1100, I'd go with either the Colt 6920, or a standard LMT Defender patrol rifle.

http://www.lmtstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/q/cqb_mrp_defender_model_16_1.jpg

http://www.lmtstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/e/defender_standard_patrol_model_16.jpg

http://www.lmtstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/e/defender_standard_model_16_sopmod_stock.jpg

My MRP was cumbersome for my patrol applications. I think it's a better fit in A-Stan cave fighting.

masakari
11-27-12, 15:14
COLT is amazing quality, and that is an excellent choice. PSA is also pretty damn good though, and they have a particularly good deal right now...
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-16-mid-premium-patrol-rifle-package.html

mr fixit
11-27-12, 16:04
Decison made.

I talked to our range master, who per policy has to approve all firearms for duty use. I told him what I told you folks here and his words were as close as i can remember "I was going to tell you Colt. Go to GT Distributors (local) and get a Colt, any one you want."

We did talk about guns and lights and lots of stuff. I had it down to the light barrel 1/7 6721 or the 6920. After looking at photos, I just prefer the look of the 6920. Somehow the light barrel just looks....wrong to me.

Now, I haven't held them both, and I will. But unless something changes before the end of the week, I will be buying the 6920. AND, depending on how they feel in my hands, I'm not sure if it will be the MagPul version or standard. I'm leaning toward Mag Pul, but how it feels in the hands will make a decision.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Soon, I'll be asking about lights,.:eek:

gigag04
11-27-12, 16:40
GT's is gtg. I've bought a few guns from them for LE use, most recently a 6920 last month.

ZGXtreme
11-27-12, 17:26
We did talk about guns and lights and lots of stuff. I had it down to the light barrel 1/7 6721 or the 6920. After looking at photos, I just prefer the look of the 6920. Somehow the light barrel just looks....wrong to me.

Just to make sure you get what you want;

6720 Lightweight Rifle with 1/7 Barrel
6721 Heavy Barrelled Pig with 1/9 Barrel
6920 M4 Contoured Barrel with M203 Notch

I'll make my last attempt to sell you on the 6720. Looks aside, the handling and weight savings will be beneficial in use as a patrol rifle! I picked one up to augment my Commando since it is a heavy lil sucker. Nice to have a lighter option for prolonged deployments such as clearing large buildings or sitting on a permimeter. Regardless, at least you're getting a Colt. Just avoid the 6721 unless you want to lug around the weight for no reason.

J-Dub
11-27-12, 18:03
6720 or 6920. Both will serve you well. I have the 6720 in my car and dont think twice about it.....goes bang every time.

usmcvet
11-27-12, 18:25

It's not that IG wouldn't trust it. It's that the administrators will not allow it.

Brother, just buy the 6920 Magpul and call it good.