PDA

View Full Version : Speilberg's Lincoln movie

Doc Safari
11-26-12, 10:08
I thought it was a fantastic movie. It may be one of the best, if not the best historical figure type movie ever made.

There were a couple of things that I think were "artistic license" to make the movie more dramatic. I won't say what I think they are for now to see if anyone else picks up on them.

All in all some people were wanting to accuse this of somehow being a "pro Obama" movie. I think they were wise to release it after the election. I didn't see it so much of a "pro Obama" movie as an illustration of why it took over 100 years after Emancipation for the US to get its first black president.

I think if you look at it objectively, it doesn't favor either political party (the Republicans after all, are prominently credited with abolishing slavery in the Constitution).

What say you?

GeorgiaBoy
11-26-12, 10:11
All in all some people were wanting to accuse this of somehow being a "pro Obama" movie.

Anything that isn't pro-conservative is "pro-Obama" these days. (As if there is something wrong with being "pro-president").......

I'm not a fan of Lincoln, but yes, the movie was really good.

SteyrAUG
11-26-12, 11:12
I'm gonna wait for DVD.

Round here it costs $25 to see a movie and usually there are a dozen dipshits who won't shut the **** up and let you enjoy the movie.

GeorgiaBoy
11-26-12, 11:16
Round here it costs $25 to see a movie and usually there are a dozen dipshits who won't shut the **** up and let you enjoy the movie.

When I went it was nothing but older people. (So it was quiet)

Sadly most younger generations aren't very interested in historical dramas such as this.

austinN4
11-26-12, 11:49
I'm gonna wait for DVD.

I always wait on the DVD of any movie I want to see, regardless of theater prices.

I much prefer being able to watch at home because of said dipshits, plus I like to be able to pause or watch a scene over if I want to. And, since my hearing sucks, I need the subtitles anyway.

Kfgk14
11-26-12, 16:08
It does brush over the fact that he said some highly racist things throughout his life including his time in the WH, and they try to portray him as somehow lacking of bigotry in any capacity. He did not by any means like black people. He was not an abolitionist until it became necessary for the defeat of the south. He was opposed to disunion and did not want slavery to spread. The notion he was a great champion of racial equality is quite delusional :blink:

The disregard he showed the constitution is my biggest issue. His "end justifies the means" approach to re-unification has precipitated into the disregard for the constitution which is drowning our nation today. Though such disregard technically started as early as the Alien and Sedition acts under Adams, and the later Jacksonian ignorance of Supreme court rulings defending Native Americans, Lincoln's suspension of Habeas Corpus (among other things) was by far the most prominently unconstitutional action of the 19th century.

Doc Safari
11-26-12, 16:15
It does brush over the fact that he said some highly racist things throughout his life including his time in the WH, and they try to portray him as somehow lacking of bigotry in any capacity. He did not by any means like black people. He was not an abolitionist until it became necessary for the defeat of the south. He was opposed to disunion and did not want slavery to spread. The notion he was a great champion of racial equality is quite delusional :blink:

The disregard he showed the constitution is my biggest issue. His "end justifies the means" approach to re-unification has precipitated into the disregard for the constitution which is drowning our nation today. Though such disregard technically started as early as the Alien and Sedition acts under Adams, and the later Jacksonian ignorance of Supreme court rulings defending Native Americans, Lincoln's suspension of Habeas Corpus (among other things) was by far the most prominently unconstitutional action of the 19th century.

Was there an actual delegation from the CSA that Lincoln deliberately delayed by forcing them to travel by riverboat?

I had never heard that one before.

GeorgiaBoy
11-26-12, 16:20

When the democratic congressmen Fernando Wood starts his speech in the first scene where we see congress, he was spot on for about the first 25 or so seconds. (Until he got into slavery) Calling Lincoln a dictator, condemning his restrictions on free speech and suspending Habeous Corpus, expanding size of federal gov and restricting states rights, etc.

Brimstone
11-26-12, 20:57
I doubt I will see this movie. I am sure they portray Lincoln as a good/heroic guy and he was far from it. The winners get to write the history books.

OldState
11-26-12, 22:06
Was the Corwin Amendment mentioned?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corwin_Amendment

I suppose not. Lincoln was definitely not the man history has made him out to be...but that is what makes history so interesting to me; finding out what REALLY happened.

I guess you could say the same of current events.

TacMedic556
11-26-12, 22:30
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig2/lincoln-arch.html

Lincoln was definately an interesting character in the play that is America. How he has been interpreted over the years is equally interesting.