PDA

View Full Version : Old Lake City 5.56

tjcoker
11-26-12, 13:45
Hi all, I have come across a couple hundred Lake City 5.56mm 55gr FMJBT head stamped 89 LC with the NATO symbol. This ammunition is weighing in within a gram of my 2008 LC XM193. It does not have a visible anneal around the neck, nor can I see any lacquer sealant at the primer. It came from an estate in a 50cal ammo can.

I have decided to use XM193 for my self-defense loading when it comes to my 5.56 needs. I reload 55 grain FMJBT's for plinking and training.

Is anyone a big enough ammunition buff to help me decide whether to set this aside for self-defense use? Does this sound like an old run of XM193 or something else? I'd prefer to not buy additional XM193 from Lake City if this will suffice until I have additional quantity needs.

Thanks,

Tim.

HackerF15E
11-26-12, 19:24
I have LC from the 1970s, and it has noticeable purple sealant around the primer and the cases are also visibly annealed.

I don't see that your batch of LC89 -- assuming it is not reloaded (which, given that there's no sealant, it just might be) -- is anything so special that it needs to be 'set aside' for any particular reason.

mtdawg169
11-26-12, 20:50
Hi all, I have come across a couple hundred Lake City 5.56mm 55gr FMJBT head stamped 89 LC with the NATO symbol. This ammunition is weighing in within a gram of my 2008 LC XM193. It does not have a visible anneal around the neck, nor can I see any lacquer sealant at the primer. It came from an estate in a 50cal ammo can.

I have decided to use XM193 for my self-defense loading when it comes to my 5.56 needs. I reload 55 grain FMJBT's for plinking and training.

Is anyone a big enough ammunition buff to help me decide whether to set this aside for self-defense use? Does this sound like an old run of XM193 or something else? I'd prefer to not buy additional XM193 from Lake City if this will suffice until I have additional quantity needs.

Thanks,

Tim.

200 rounds? Shoot it up on your next range trip. I'm sure it's fine, but since you're unsure of the authenticity, I wouldn't put it in my SHTF stash. It could be reloads in Lake City brass. Are the primers crimped or has the primer cup been reamed?

Snake Plissken
11-26-12, 20:51
You might age but ammo generally does not. Try a mag or two of it and see for yourself. There's no reason for it to not be perfectly fine.

5pins
11-27-12, 06:18
It does not have a visible anneal around the neck, nor can I see any lacquer sealant at the primer. It came from an estate in a 50cal ammo can.

Sounds to me like you have someones reloads.

markm
11-27-12, 07:56
Post some pics and we can tell you if it's Reloads or Original ammo.

200 rounds isn't a "stash worthy" quantity... I'd just shoot it if it doesn't seem sketchy.

tjcoker
11-27-12, 11:15
I think you guys are right on with the reloads idea. The primers used are not the same color as my 08LCs. The primer pockets are also visibly larger in diameter than the 08LCs.

Thanks a lot all. I was considering adding these to my SHTF stash in bandos but now I will not feel bad about shooting them up at the range. I'll of course test them with eye protection and nut protection in place :D

Tim.

Loki
11-27-12, 12:23
into "social" or "duty" status without putting some rounds down range.

That's what lot numbers are for, keeping track :p

HackerF15E
11-27-12, 18:39
I think you guys are right on with the reloads idea. The primers used are not the same color as my 08LCs. The primer pockets are also visibly larger in diameter than the 08LCs.

Thanks a lot all. I was considering adding these to my SHTF stash in bandos but now I will not feel bad about shooting them up at the range. I'll of course test them with eye protection and nut protection in place :D

Tim.

If you are a reloader, suggest you pull the bullets on a couple, and inspect/weigh the powder.

You know the old saying about, "never shoot someone else's reloads"...

jstone
11-27-12, 23:28
Like the above post said if you can break a few down to try and verify the load. More than likely you will not be able to tell what power it is, but you can at least make sure it is around a reasonable charge weight for bullet weight.

I will only shoot reloads from a couple people i know, and will only not shoot reloads that i have no clue about. I would break them down throw the powder on the lawn, and reuse the components.