PDA

View Full Version : A Festivus "Airing of Grievances" Primer

montanadave
11-27-12, 11:14
Given it's that time of year again, I thought some of you might enjoy the comments of a British father to his apparently less-than-overachieving offspring. For those less familiar with the Festivus holiday protocols, the "airing of grievances" follows the traditional holiday meal when, as Frank Costanza explains, "You gather your family around, and tell them all the ways they have disappointed you over the past year!" (for additional information: http://www.festivusweb.com/festivus-airing-of-grievances.htm.

This fellow, apparently tired of listening to the perpetual litany of "woe is me" musings from his kids, fired off the following email (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9686219/I-am-bitterly-bitterly-disappointed-retired-naval-officers-email-to-children-in-full.html)

Dear All Three

With last evening's crop of whinges and tidings of more rotten news for which you seem to treat your mother like a cess-pit, I feel it is time to come off my perch.

It is obvious that none of you has the faintest notion of the bitter disappointment each of you has in your own way dished out to us. We are seeing the miserable death throes of the fourth of your collective marriages at the same time we see the advent of a fifth.

We are constantly regaled with chapter and verse of the happy, successful lives of the families of our friends and relatives and being asked of news of our own children and grandchildren. I wonder if you realise how we feel — we have nothing to say which reflects any credit on you or us. We don't ask for your sympathy or understanding — Mum and I have been used to taking our own misfortunes on the chin, and making our own effort to bash our little paths through life without being a burden to others. Having done our best — probably misguidedly — to provide for our children, we naturally hoped to see them in turn take up their own banners and provide happy and stable homes for their own children.

Fulfilling careers based on your educations would have helped — but as yet none of you is what I would confidently term properly self-supporting. Which of you, with or without a spouse, can support your families, finance your home and provide a pension for your old age? Each of you is well able to earn a comfortable living and provide for your children, yet each of you has contrived to avoid even moderate achievement. Far from your children being able to rely on your provision, they are faced with needing to survive their introduction to life with you as parents.

So we witness the introduction to this life of six beautiful children — soon to be seven — none of whose parents have had the maturity and sound judgment to make a reasonable fist at making essential threshold decisions. None of these decisions were made with any pretence to ask for our advice.

In each case we have been expected to acquiesce with mostly hasty, but always in our view, badly judged decisions. None of you has done yourself, or given to us, the basic courtesy to ask us what we think while there was still time finally to think things through. The predictable result has been a decade of deep unhappiness over the fates of our grandchildren. If it wasn't for them, Mum and I would not be too concerned, as each of you consciously, and with eyes wide open, crashes from one cock-up to the next. It makes us weak that so many of these events are copulation-driven, and then helplessly to see these lovely little people being so woefully let down by you, their parents.

I can now tell you that I for one, and I sense Mum feels the same, have had enough of being forced to live through the never-ending bad dream of our children's underachievement and domestic ineptitudes. I want to hear no more from any of you until, if you feel inclined, you have a success or an achievement or a REALISTIC plan for the support and happiness of your children to tell me about. I don't want to see your mother burdened any more with your miserable woes — it's not as if any of the advice she strives to give you has ever been listened to with good grace — far less acted upon. So I ask you to spare her further unhappiness. If you think I have been unfair in what I have said, by all means try to persuade me to change my mind. But you won't do it by simply whingeing and saying you don't like it. You'll have to come up with meaty reasons to demolish my points and build a case for yourself. If that isn't possible, or you simply can't be bothered, then I rest my case.

I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

Dad

Now that's how you air some f'ckin grievances! Did it up right proper, guv'ner, that he did.

Apparently the email (sent last Frebruary) surfaced when one of the daughters decided it would make good publicity for a book she is writing. The dad, a retired Royal Navy officer (submarine skipper), has apparently become something of a popular hero in Great Britain. I came across the story in David Brooks' NYT op-ed piece this AM (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/opinion/brooks-how-people-change.html?ref=opinion&_r=0)

I recall getting dressed down a time or two by my dad in years past, but they were mere shots across the bow compared to full salvo unleashed by this fellow. Ouch!

SeriousStudent
11-27-12, 20:15
Quite funny, and as an old man and father, all true. :D

Dave, can you edit your Daily Telegraph link when you have a moment? It's not resolving to an article.

And thanks again for putting me in the proper holiday spirit. I'm off to the coal bin, to mine a few lumps.

Business_Casual
11-27-12, 21:14
Now that's how you air some f'ckin grievances! Did it up right proper, guv'ner, that he did.

Just FYI, you are mixing Eliza Doolittle diction with a story about a Uni-educated Naval officer.

bc

montanadave
11-27-12, 21:21
Just FYI, you are mixing Eliza Doolittle diction with a story about a Uni-educated Naval officer.

bc

Apologies. My bad. Wife and I watched "My Fair Lady" on the tube last Saturday night.

Arik
11-27-12, 21:40
BS! As an adult i dont need to extend courtesy in asking for an opinion of someone who is not part of my immediate family or someone who has nothing to do with the situation. Good or bad i dont need to share my plans with anyone.

Also not his problem how they live their lives or how often they get married.

As for his friends, **** em. None of their business. I tell my parents as little as possible because i know it will all get into their circle of friends and then turns into a broken phone. When it comes to "how are you? Whats new? Hows everything?" My answers are always "fine, nothing, ok".

People bitch when someone over 18 lives at home then bitch about how they live on their own. Bottom line if they arent doing drugs (any illegal activity) and not on the street it aint the parents business how THEY live THEIR LIFE.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sensei
11-27-12, 23:26
BS! As an adult i dont need to extend courtesy in asking for an opinion of someone who is not part of my immediate family or someone who has nothing to do with the situation. Good or bad i dont need to share my plans with anyone.

As for his friends, **** em. None of their business. I tell my parents as little as possible because i know it will all get into their circle of friends and then turns into a broken phone. When it comes to "how are you? Whats new? Hows everything?" My answers are always "fine, nothing, ok".

People bitch when someone over 18 lives at home then bitch about how they live on their own. Bottom line if they arent doing drugs (any illegal activity) and not on the street it aint the parents business how THEY live THEIR LIFE.

I take it that you did not read the email in its entirety? If you had, you might have noticed that the dad was not just bitching about how they live their lives. Instead, the parents were noting that their children could not live self-sufficient lives, and were constantly returning to "the nest" for shelter. The parents were also noting that they were no longer going to be the latrine were their children came to shit.

You comments imply that the kids behavior was not impacting their parent's lives. I get the impression that the opposite is true with the kids being at the very least emotional leeches.

SteyrAUG
11-28-12, 00:21

I get where you are trying to come from.

If people aren't paying your bills and you aren't causing problems for them then they get "no say."

But family is still family to some extent. I imagine if your parents started engaging in things that disappointed and / or embarrassed you then you'd feel entitled to an opinion. Doesn't mean they get to tell you how to live or you get to tell them how to live, but you both are entitled to say how you feel about things.

The only exception is if you have a zero contact relationship and have fully cut off those family members.

That said, if you have "real" family and somebody does something disappointing. Nothing needs to be said because everyone already knows how people feel and nobody feels the need to rub things in and the person who did something wrong already feels bad enough.

Moose-Knuckle
11-28-12, 21:04
This was great, some things just need to be written down (or as in this case typed). I think many these days can relate. After years of shit like this it's about high time my parents have a talk with my 34 year old sister and mother of two.