PDA

View Full Version : Paul Howe "Combat Mindset" video released

nickdrak
11-27-12, 13:16
Paul Howe's "Combat Mindset" video has been released for Panteao Productions subscribers and for DVD pre-order: http://www.panteaoproductions.com/products/combat-mindset#.ULUQXo7AqQJ

Just watched the entire video. Highly recommended for anyone who carries a gun for a living or for self-preservation.

Just be forewarned that some of the video clips he uses to drive the point of mental preparedness home are ****ing brutal, so make sure your kids are out of the room before you start to watch it.

theblackknight
11-27-12, 18:43
Just be forewarned that some of the video clips he uses to drive the point of mental preparedness home are ****ing brutal

Now I want to see it. Dam you

nickdrak
11-27-12, 19:23
I attended a seminar he did here in IL for the ITOA a couple of years back. We had a copper actually faint during one if the videos he showed during his presentation. Brutal stuff that really drives home the consequences of not being prepared mentally. This video offers up alot more to think on as well.

GeorgiaBoy
11-27-12, 19:32
Just finished watching it.

Very good video. Like nickdrak said, there are some BRUTAL scenes. (e.g., decapitation). I had actually seen one before and skipped over it. Not for the faint of heart.

Paul Howe knows his stuff, and is one of my favorite instructors. Really want to attend one of his classes one day.

theblackknight
11-27-12, 21:56
Like talib decap vids? Not my preferred mode of entertainment, but nothing to faint over.

GeorgiaBoy
11-27-12, 23:04
Like talib decap vids? Not my preferred mode of entertainment, but nothing to faint over.

I was using "faint of heart" more as a figure of speech, not necessarily that you'd faint seeing it. (although I'm sure plenty of people would). It's just more that when they said "graphic content" I wasn't expecting decap videos, though I was surprised one of them I have seen before.

I guess it's similar. Civilians being shot in the back/back of head laying face down. One close up of decap by chainsaw and his buddy by hunting knife.

nickdrak
11-27-12, 23:45
The decap and other graphic vids he shows are not simply for shock value. That is certainly part of it, but the context in which Howe addresses the videos is the bigger picture.

grunz
11-28-12, 01:07
I just saw the whole Panteao video. I think we can all agree the point of the scenes was to enforce the idea of not giving up and allowing yourself to be the victim and under the control of your enemy.

On a side note - I don't want to start a controversy, but the Columbine footage in the panteao video was not real footage - it was from a columbine inspired movie called Zero Day. That said it was pretty effective in driving the point home about active shooter incidents and how in fact most victims were shot while hiding under desks etc and not fighting back or resisting. I've read this is pretty common in a lot of active shooter cases.

I also think it was very good that Paul spent a lot of time covering medical techniques and supplies - that's something that would be very good to have more exposure to in all our training. For example applying a tourniquet on yourself then having to engage one handed like in one part if the video - not giving up.

theblackknight
11-28-12, 09:46
Is this strictly for getting you and your buddies in the zone to win, or could it be used to "convince" certain people (wife) they need to be winners when it counts?

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Paul Howe
11-28-12, 12:43
Thanks and reference the Columbine Video, it is a recreation of the event and it is supposed to be the actual audio.

I used this in Active Shooter Response classes to show the need to push the fight, even if things have gone passive. In this case the shooters continued to kill because no one pressed the fight. The mentality during that time was wait for SWAT. If memory serves me correct, in Virginia Tech, the shooter killed 32 in 11 minutes, that is about 3 people per minute. In most cases, when the shooter knows the police are there, they kill themselves.

The video also allows us to see what the shooters look like and understand that they are a confidence target. It helps us with our tactical confidence and better prepares our minds for the fight.

Once the shooter(s) is/are down, the building needs to be secure so the wounded can be treated. The faster the target is cleared the faster aid can be rendered and more lives saved.

Paul

Kyohte
11-28-12, 14:29
Is this strictly for getting you and your buddies in the zone to win, or could it be used to "convince" certain people (wife) they need to be winners when it counts?

I think it could be used for the latter.

My thoughts on the graphic videos. I've seen a good deal of gory things when working as a volunteer firefighter, but actually seeing them as they happen is certainly different.

Shadow1198
11-28-12, 14:37

I just re-registered my Make Ready membership solely for this video and watched it last night. Excellent watch, and I like the fact it was very straight and to the point, with some brutal reality checks. I especially liked the medical discussions and examples. Thank you, Paul, for continuing to let us learn from your experiences and knowledge.

IMHO, I would say the extremely graphic scenes would not be something to show the average "uninitiated" person. My fiance, for example, would be scared and disgusted out of her mind and it would probably set her training back by a year or two. IMO, it could potentially turn them off to the subject permanently or at least for a very long time. Maybe the Columbine recreation might be alright. Although, the beheadings, I think nowadays that it could be a bit too much for the average person without easing them into it with other examples until they are ready for that raw reality. Some people may never be ready to see that. For people like us, on here discussing it, and those out there training seriously yeah it's absolutely a good reality check we'll learn from. Other than the graphic scenes, I think the rest of the video was excellent stuff that could be shown to pretty much anyone without really upsetting them.

Paul Howe
11-28-12, 18:34
Thanks, Shadow and I concur.

If you have family or friends that are not used to graphic video, screen it for them or skip it to the rest of the video. I don't have a problem with someone not being ready to see it at this time.

I had to weigh putting it in or leaving it out and I decided to leave it and allow the viewer to skip over. Some of these are the same videos clips I have been showing to Mil/LE for years and did not want to water it down just because someone is a "civilian." These same violent and horrific acts have been carried out in the U.S. at one time or another in our history against innocent persons.

Also, thanks for your feedback and I will suggest Fernando monitor it also.

Paul

GeorgiaBoy
11-28-12, 19:11
MSG Howe,

I seem to remember you mentioning in the video that you were planning on doing a Home Defense video for Panteo next. Is this in the works soon? I have to say I enjoy your videos more than any of the others that Panteo has done.

Looking forward to the Black Hawk Down video too.

Fernando Coelho
11-28-12, 19:17
Hi All,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback on the video. I agree that the graphic content is not for everyone. This is the first video title we have done out of 40+ videos that we felt the need to put a warning both on the cover of the DVD as well as on our website. Having said that, we felt the content was important and worth having in there. Viewers can always skip over those segments.

Paul Howe
11-28-12, 19:32
Georgia Boy,

Thanks and I am planning on doing a Home Defense and Vehicle Defense in the next few months. My goal is to make them comprehensive to include medical and low light tactics. Also, when to push, when to hold, etc.

As for the BHD, Fernando is still working on it, getting foreign footage that has not been seen to help augment the narrative.

Thanks,

Paul

theblackknight
11-28-12, 20:58
Thanks guys, I might have to revive my account and screen this.

RamZar
11-28-12, 21:05
Hi All,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback on the video. I agree that the graphic content is not for everyone. This is the first video title we have done out of 40+ videos that we felt the need to put a warning both on the cover of the DVD as well as on our website. Having said that, we felt the content was important and worth having in there. Viewers can always skip over those segments.

If possible state exactly where the graphic content segments occur for the full video and within each chapter. Good to have the graphic content since it adds relevancy but it's certainly not at all suitable for some and some others want to watch the video several times but without the graphic contents each time.

RamZar
11-28-12, 23:42
This outstanding, comprehensive and eye-opening video has the making of a classic. The combat mindset is NOT restricted to actual combat and seeps through to so much more. The video is full of various types of solid focused advise.

The brutally graphic scenes of sheep not fighting (warning: decapitations) although necessary is not to be viewed by many even once and I hope they'll make a version without it. I've seen such things before but even I will not be watching those portions again. I've marked the graphic chapters below for easier bypass.

The rest of the video needs to be seen a couple of times to sink in. There are other great video clips from relevant and topical incidents and Paul's training that are NOT graphic.

Paul Howe has always been a man on a mission to make a positive impact on the most number of people in all walks of life: military, law enforcement or civilians. He knew of a greater good by telling the Blackhawk Down story to Mark Bowden and subsequently being ostracized by some from his unit.

The depth of material in the video is broad but relevant and making a whole package. Emphasis on practicing fighting through the fight, never quitting, scenario-based training, technical skills, medical (nice long chapter including applying tourniquet to yourself), fighting with hand, knife, pistol and rifle.

Here are the chapters:

Introduction
Motivation To Survive (graphic video)
Combat Mindset Defined (graphic video)
Fear
Negative Thoughts
Individual Level of Combat
Mental Programming
Handling Stress
Tactical Physical
Civilian Physical
Technical Skills
Mental Trigger
Tactical Confidence
Medical
Conclusion

I'm beginning to look at it as a full training blueprint.

A few nuggets from Paul:

"Life is a marathon".
"You have to be willing to take a life to save a life. If you can't do that you can't cultivate a good combat mindset".
"Be prepared to kill with ruthless efficiency and do it on demand".
"You've got to keep your tactics simple. A few set of tactics that work across a bunch of situations. If I have the drop on them in a fight I'll take the shot. If they have the drop on me I'll move to cover."

Don't forget Paul's great book available both as a paperback and Kindle eBook.

Leadership and Training for the Fight: Using Special Operations Principles to Succeed in Law Enforcement, Business, and War
(http://www.amazon.com/Leadership-Training-Fight-Operations-Enforcement/dp/1616083042/ref=la_B001K8LT1A_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354167210&sr=1-1)

warpedcamshaft
11-28-12, 23:48
I thought the video was a great motivational tool and extremely effective. The graphic images did a great job of illustrating what can happen if you leave your life in the hands of the "booger-eaters."

It seems to me that our current politically-correct society has often diluted our understanding of evil people in the world and the illogical, irrational, and horrific acts that can occur. The best antidote for violent, evil people is good people who are more skilled at violence... A little dose of the reality of that evil can help wake people up and get folks ready to face these situations and the aftermath.

I would also like to compliment Mr. Howe on his instructional videos, books, info letters, and the CSAT standards. I would heavily recommend this material for people looking to improve themselves, and it has impacted me in my personal and professional life.

Shadow1198
11-29-12, 00:26
I think I should clarify, after re-reading my response, that I didn't intend any of my comments to come off as complaints or recommendations against anything. It occurred to me it may have sounded that way. My post was mainly in response to Theblackknight's question, and for anyone else considering showing the video to other people to help them towards developing a solid mindset. No complaints here.

Phillygunguy
11-29-12, 09:41
Watched the video last night I work in a Hospital and see a lot but most of what I see is after the fact.This is definitely a wake up call, for anybody who carries a gun, or good to show anti gun people the reality of violence, and why one should own a gun.

sadmin
11-29-12, 10:51
Thanks for the review and thanks for making the video MSG Howe. My family just built a cabin on 200 acres in Fairfield, TX and this will be perfect for them to watch since my mother and wife think its kosher to go out there alone and have a girly-wine weekend with nothing to worry about...:blink:

By the way, my BIL and I stumbled upon what I believe to be a meth lab in the middle of a 1800 acre tract that bumps up against our land. creepy

Jim D
11-30-12, 12:25
I don't have the best stomach for gore, but I enjoyed MSG Howe's books enough that I'll probably have to pickup this one.

ridgerunner70
11-30-12, 13:43
Where do I subscribe at Please??

RamZar
11-30-12, 13:45
I think it's definitely worth getting a one month subscription at $17.95, watching as much as you can in that one month and then cancelling the subscription because by default it gets renewed for another month!

Panteao Productions Online Training
(http://www.panteaoproductions.com/online_training)

ridgerunner70
11-30-12, 14:25
I think it's definitely worth getting a one month subscription at $17.95, watching as much as you can in that one month and then cancelling the subscription because by default it gets renewed for another month!

Panteao Productions Online Training
(http://www.panteaoproductions.com/online_training)

Thank you !!

ROUTEMICHIGAN
01-07-13, 18:56
Watched it today-- MSG Howe's presentation was superb. IMO, the graphic video serves as a valuable teaching tool-- brings home the point about "evil" existing in this world (ie. "a picture is worth a thousand words...") and should not be edited out of future versions. Frankly, I've seen worse during my time abroad and I think this sort of footage gives folks who have not been exposed to such acts a good reality check about what our fellow man is capable of doing to each other. I'd rather die on my feet fighting than on my knees waiting for a chain saw to my neck or for a bullet to my back. Good video on a tough subject.

Tiny Killer Robot
01-12-13, 20:30
My thoughts on the graphic stuff...
If you are prepared to step up to the plate in a violent encounter, but don't want to see graphic images of death, then you are the one who needs to see it the most. No "normal" person likes seeing things like that happen to innocents, but they are gone and not using the training opportunity won't bring them back. Seeing disturbing images IS hard to watch. It bothers you. But, eventually the 'horror stricken' response fades and you can become more detached. Like a squeamish surgeon, a person who hasn't learned to mentally deal with horrific wounds/sights is going to be less than effective. And as was drilled into us, hesitation kills.
My first exposure to something along these lines: I was a Deputy Sheriff in East Texas in the early 90's. A local Constable (whom many of us knew) was killed on a traffic stop. His dash cam captured the entire event. A month later, the Chief Deputy made us watch the video, several times, while errors he made during the stop were pointed out. That was tough, but in hindsight, was a very valuable learning experience on complacency and how cruel human beings can be.
My opinions only and YMMV.

SunTzu
01-16-13, 19:44
I signed up and am watching this now. I have a question as to where I can find information, preferably a chart for reference, on switches and timers for shutting down a human. I have heard it referred to as "switches and timers" but am unaware if it has another name. My understanding is this is on bleed out and almost instantaneous death.

Thank you for the video. It definitely brings it home in a sobering manner. My thanks.

7 RING
01-16-13, 21:18
Paul Howe is a top shelf instructor and anyone would do well to follow his instruction.

I don't understand why there is so much fuss over the graphic content of his video. For those who were bothered by the video, welcome to the real world ladies.

RamZar
01-16-13, 21:34
I don't understand why there is so much fuss over the graphic content of his video. For those who were bothered by the video, welcome to the real world ladies.

The "fuss" is not for people who visit such forums but for them to show loved ones and as such it can be a great learning and awareness experience without having to cause them senseless shock, trauma and nightmares. That's why the caption:

http://www.panteaoproductions.com/ads/warning_sm.png

7 RING
01-16-13, 21:39
The "fuss" is not for people who visit such forums but for them to show loved ones and as such it can be a great learning and awareness experience without having to cause them senseless shock, trauma and nightmares. That's why the caption:

http://www.panteaoproductions.com/ads/warning_sm.png

Roger that.

Over the years I trained adults placed in positions of great responsibility that were shocked by the content of this type of video and I had to push them to harden up. Without the proper mindset they could not do their jobs.

I would not show a video of this nature to anyone who is not an adult. Some things should be kept from children at a young age and they should be exposed to the real world gradually as they grow older.

TOSFVID

Irish
10-21-13, 15:38
Thanks and I am planning on doing a Home Defense and Vehicle Defense in the next few months. My goal is to make them comprehensive to include medical and low light tactics. Also, when to push, when to hold, etc.

Paul - I was reading the reviews of Combat Mindset, I'll be purchasing it, and was wondering if you'd had a chance to complete the home & vehicle defense DVD's? Is the Civilian Response to Active Shooter along the same lines as the home defense in terms of rooms, hallways, etc.?

Paul Howe
10-21-13, 15:46
Irish,

Thanks and I have a Long Range Hunter, Home Defense and Vehicle Defense videos being edited as we speak. CRAS deals with problems outside a structure, deploying from a vehicle. It also deals with large hallways and rooms and how to re-conceal your weapon, medical, etc. Home Defense deals with planning and setting up your home from answering your door to dealing with individuals who have entered your home. Further we talk about home arrival and how to hand problems.

Paul

Irish
10-21-13, 20:05
Irish,

Thanks and I have a Long Range Hunter, Home Defense and Vehicle Defense videos being edited as we speak. CRAS deals with problems outside a structure, deploying from a vehicle. It also deals with large hallways and rooms and how to re-conceal your weapon, medical, etc. Home Defense deals with planning and setting up your home from answering your door to dealing with individuals who have entered your home. Further we talk about home arrival and how to hand problems.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the additional info on the upcoming, and existing, DVDs. I'll definitely be adding them to my library.

Mike

NavyDavy55
10-22-13, 05:50
I am preparing a mindset training module for the reserve unit I am in and Paul's DVD is a great source of information. I loaned it to my Cmdr to see his thoughts on the DVD.

The Columbine section had me fooled, I thought it was the real thing. Now I know the only "real" part of it is the audio. I'll admit, watching that section still bothers me.

theblackknight
10-26-13, 02:37
I signed up and am watching this now. I have a question as to where I can find information, preferably a chart for reference, on switches and timers for shutting down a human. I have heard it referred to as "switches and timers" but am unaware if it has another name. My understanding is this is on bleed out and almost instantaneous death.

Thank you for the video. It definitely brings it home in a sobering manner. My thanks.

Switch= spinal cord and base of brain stem. Instant game over, sack of flesh.

Timer= hemmoraging. Either chest or pelvis or whereever large arteries are, letting all the fluid out.