PDA

View Full Version : New 700 Tactical... need advice

MH64
11-27-12, 16:03
So just picked up a 700 SPS Tactical, 20" threaded barrel in 308 with the green stock, and need to set it up for optics.
For now will use a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 that I already have.

So, what type of scope mount should I get?
Two piece or one piece?
With 10 or 20 moa cant or not?

Right now we have a spot to shoot that has a maximum of 400yrds.

This is one of my wife's birthday presents.

Canonshooter
11-27-12, 17:59
One piece, no doubt about it - 700 receivers require it for a stress-free mount.

See this thread below - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=117218

MH64
11-27-12, 19:35
OK, one piece base.

But cant or no cant?
When would I choose one over the other?

orkan
11-27-12, 21:51
20moa cant.

It's there if you need it, and doesn't hurt to have if you don't.

kmrtnsn
11-27-12, 23:13
20moa cant.

Your scope will drive that, usually needed in the 6-20x side of the spectrum. Check to see what Burris recommends.

mark5pt56
11-28-12, 06:11
Think long term and get the 20moa base, doesn't cost any more. Get quality and save for a scope of choice down the road. That way if you are able to hit longer ranges, you have the adjustment you will need. Check the boards for some used Leupolds, you may find some nice M3 3.5-10 or some 4.5-14's with mildots for a good rate. Not the nicest scopes, but are good quality and will serve you well.

markm
11-28-12, 06:41
20moa cant.

This....

I had to replace my base with a 20 MOA when I changed scopes.:(

orkan
11-28-12, 08:26
Check to see what Burris recommends. :rolleyes: Good luck with that.

kmrtnsn
11-28-12, 11:42
:rolleyes: Good luck with that.

That bad, huh? That sucks. I have one Burris scope. So far my customer service has been okay. I know some manufacturers will flat out recommend a 20 MOA base for particular optics, I was hoping that Burris was as forward thinking.

Please tell me you have had better experience with Bushnell?

orkan
11-28-12, 12:06
Yes, bushnell is a far better company to deal with. Also a much better product at the higher levels.

Burris is cheap chinese crap. Take a look at cabelas bargain cave... therein you will find numerous burris fullfield II's laying around. One rep told me that the burris fullfield II was the most returned scope they had ever seen a few years ago. I have a 30yr old burris that is outstanding. The new stuff is a joke... and the joke is on us.

You are in the right place for advice. Going to ask burris anything would be a wasted phone call.

markm
11-28-12, 12:08
Yes, bushnell is a far better company to deal with. Also a much better product at the higher levels.

Bushnell has really gone after some of the more "tactical" business.

Pappabear and I are running a handful of their current products. Pretty decent.

orkan
11-28-12, 12:30
They aren't quite as good as the vortex stuff at equal or lower pricepoints, but still a valid option.

kmrtnsn
11-28-12, 12:33

Burris is cheap chinese crap. Take a look at cabelas bargain cave... therein you will find numerous burris fullfield II's laying around. One rep told me that the burris fullfield II was the most returned scope they had ever seen a few years ago. I have a 30yr old burris that is outstanding. The new stuff is a joke... and the joke is on us.

You are in the right place for advice. Going to ask burris anything would be a wasted phone call.

I have one of the Burris 1-4X, XTR's on one of the AR's. So far, so good for what I use it for. I like the reticule for my uses.

I'm looking at the Bushnell tactical scopes for a .308 project. I like that they are offering the Horus reticules for us guys who can't count on their fingers past ten.

rdc0000
11-28-12, 12:35
One piece, no doubt about it - 700 receivers require it for a stress-free mount.

See this thread below - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=117218

I would not put a one piece mount on unless I wanted 20 MOA or needed to move the scope via a rail. With that said, stress free mounting does not come with a one piece mount. It can still warp and put stress on a scope. Your components matter. I suggest and use Burris Pro rings with the nylon eccentric built in to alleviate stress. Otherwise you mount it and lap the rings in.

orkan
11-28-12, 12:38
So far, so good for what I use it for. I've heard at least ONE person if not 50 claim the same thing about virtually every optic in existence. That includes scopes like barska and ncstar.

They all work. Until they don't.

Canonshooter
11-28-12, 16:33
With that said, stress free mounting does not come with a one piece mount. It can still warp and put stress on a scope.

This is true, the base needs to be bedded to be stress-free on a 700 receiver.

MH64
11-28-12, 21:52
The Burris scope is a done deal for now. Will be looking to upgrade the rifle over time.
Probably replace the stock first, then the scope.

Figure can get a decent stock for $200/250, however, that money will not get me a better scope. So will plan and save for that.

Besides, we will see what the wife can do with this at 100, 200, 300 and so on.

jhatheway
12-13-12, 17:49
Good info. I go next week to purchase my 700

MH64
12-13-12, 21:16
So have a Nightforce 20moa one piece rail on it. Got a great deal from a buddy of mine for a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40. Traded some spare pc parts and my time.

The wife can definitely practice with this scope for awhile.

Now have a Bell & Carlson M40 stock in OD coming. Should have sometime next week.

And after some research, have decided on a SS 12x40 MRAD scope.
This should do well on the rifle.