PDA

View Full Version : What 5.56mm barrel to use with Spikes SD Fake Can?

Phazuka
02-18-08, 17:52
I'm putting together a new .22lr upper that I can readily convert back to 5.56mm. I'll be going with:

VLTOR MUR Upper
Midwest Industries free float Mid length Rail
Spikes SD Fake Can

My question is: What kind of barrel can I use with the SD Fake Can? I'd like to use a heavy match stainless steel 16" barrel (possibly fluted) and low profile gas block. I want the hand guards to extend past the FSB and the fake can to extend past the hand guards to give it the SD look. I'll be using flip up BUIS.

So, what kind of barrel profile should I get to accommodate the SD Fake Can?

RobertJ
02-27-08, 20:06
In my opinion you are going to be covering everything up with a fake can/rail, which if I remember correctly is only threaded on the front of the can and will cover about 7 inches of your barrel from muzzle back. The rail will be covering more so If it was my weapon I would not use a fluted barrel. Now if you are looking for flutes for looks vs. function. I would just use the a standard SS bull barrel. Remember I, nor anyone else can make a decision for you... that is totally up to you. Just plan before you build.
Just weigh your decisions:
The flutes= less weight, better cooling etc.
Fake can= cool looks, more weight,
Etc.

Hope this helps some.

monkeywrench
02-28-08, 04:41
Why would you put a fake sound suppressor on a gun?

rob_s
02-28-08, 04:53
Gotta agree with Monkey, I've never understood the "fake can" thing. Why not spring for the real deal?

rob_s
02-28-08, 05:36
Not to mention, most 5.56 barrels are the wrong twist to really use for a dedicated .22 upper. Most .22s are in the 1:14 to 1:16 range, while most 5.56 are in the 1:4 to 1:9 range.

Army Chief
02-28-08, 06:07
Not attacking the messenger here, but you need to understand that among this particular body of shooters, a fake supressor = poseur, and we generally don't see the point of doing such things. If you want to supress the weapon, then supress the weapon; otherwise, you're just building a rather silly toy, no?

Chief

RobertJ
02-28-08, 09:41
I cant speak for Phazuka, but what I gathered from his post he is looking for the "Look" of a SD. We have all wasted money doing stupid things to our firearms. I know I have bought el cheapo stuff I SHOULD never have put on a AR but I lived and I learned.

I am just a gun guy with my real job being Compressed Gas cylinder truck driver (Liquid O2, Liquid N2, oxy, acety, etc.) As speaking from my expierence I am now just getting into SBR's. Supressers will be a year or so off due to price of tax and supressor. Saving up little at a time as I can. I love to tinker with my AR's and this has gotten me into oh so much debt:cool:

I would like to also add that the fake cans seem to screw with accuracy as well. I read due to harmonics and the such but truly dont know why... so take it for what its worth.

RobS, I dont think he wants a dedicated .22 he wrote he wants to convert back and forth from 5.56 to .22LR. I may be wrong but it looks like Phazuka is doing this on a tight budget. I see a lot more posts about people buying Ceiner .22LR conversions for cheaper practice through out the gun boards. I do totally agree with you on twist rates and dedicated vs drop in .22LR conversions though.

safeways1217
03-04-08, 20:54
I realize the SD look is in but, much like the inventor of the dyson vacuums I put function over form unless the two can be done together. I would only want a fancy gun if it was the end result of building a great firearm.
IOW buy the suppresser that best suits you and then spend the $200 for the tax. KISS=KEEP IT SIMPLE & SUPRESSED:D