PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to upgrade to the X300 ultra from the regular X300?

Rohardi
11-28-12, 16:32
I am debating upgrading to the X300 ultra from my current X300. I am in the process of switching from HK pistols to Glock pistols and with that, comes new holsters. When I go to order my Raven Concealment Phantom LC, it asks if I want it fitted for the X300 or X300 ultra. So I have to decide on what I want to do for a light. So is it worth the upgrade to the Ultra???? Or should I just keep my X300 and put a X300 on my rifle???

BigLarge
11-28-12, 20:20
How do you plan to use the gun/light

El Cid
11-28-12, 20:52
Exactly as BigLarge asked... We can't answer you properly without knowing how/where/etc.

For me, on handguns, my X300 is plenty. I may get an Ultra for my 308 rifle, but I see no reason to ever replace a regular 300 unless its broken.

Rohardi
11-28-12, 21:01
This will be on a gun that will be used in training/classes and Home defense. i have a friend that is willing to give me $150 for my current X300... That makes it tempting....

indawire
11-28-12, 21:08
Take the $150 and pay just another $60 to get that much more light? I'd do that upgrade in a heartbeat. But then again, that's just me who needs more light for my older eyes.

TehLlama
11-30-12, 13:43
I don't feel like the normal X300 is inadequate on a pistol. Hell, I'm barely good enough with that pistol to get hits in daytime past where that thing lights up at night.

It's another story on a carbine, but I don't know of any kydex required for that ;)

JBecker 72
11-30-12, 13:57
Yeah, I recently got an ultra and have two standard X300s. The ultra is going on a carbine and the standard models will stay on the pistols.

Now regarding the holsters, if the ultra model will also retain the standard version, I see no reason to limit your options if you change your mind later down the road.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Alaskapopo
11-30-12, 19:33
Just swaped out my X300 for the Ultra's on both the pistol and patrol rifle. Far better light as far as illumination goes.
Pat

Pistolero
12-01-12, 13:05
Is the ultra too bright for indoor use on say a nightstand gun?

Alaskapopo
12-01-12, 13:32

No its fine.

gschoellles
12-01-12, 19:57

Absolutely Not, the light is as much of a defensive weapon as the gun. IMHO the x300 is dandy, but if you had a choice on a new purchase go bigger. However, I wouldn't toss one for the other!

BTW, my E1B resides on the nightstand as well....

JBecker 72
12-01-12, 21:03
Personally, I feel the lumen output depends on your eyesight. My dad, who has poor vision, needs a much brighter light than I do with my 20/10 vision. I don't need a 500 lumen light on an indoor use weapon light, because my vision is well above most others. I feel the brighter lights impact my vision more negatively in some situations than they benefit, so I chose a more conservative output unless its being used outside.

YMMV

msstate56
12-03-12, 22:30
Seeing as I just finished clearing a residential house with an open door using my x300 ultra, I would make the switch. I have done exactly what you are pondering. I sold off a couple of the x300s that I had, and replaced them with x300 ultras. The extra light is great, and anyone who thinks it is too much for indoor use is mistaken. The house I mentioned above had floor to ceiling mirrors in one large bathroom. While outside the door the ultra had enough light to bounce off the mirrors and light up the entire bathroom. That bathroom was at least 15x15 (huge for a bathroom). It has been said before and I agree, that I've never been in a tactical situation where I wanted less light.

AO520
12-05-12, 22:18
Got the Ultra a few days ago and have had zero issues. It fits fine in my Safariland holster on a M&P9. No problems with it being too bright indoors. I really like it on a Mount-N-Slot universal light mount on my AR build. In my opinion worth the upgrade.

BigLarge
12-06-12, 04:46
Seeing as I just finished clearing a residential house with an open door using my x300 ultra, I would make the switch. I have done exactly what you are pondering. I sold off a couple of the x300s that I had, and replaced them with x300 ultras. The extra light is great, and anyone who thinks it is too much for indoor use is mistaken. The house I mentioned above had floor to ceiling mirrors in one large bathroom. While outside the door the ultra had enough light to bounce off the mirrors and light up the entire bathroom. That bathroom was at least 15x15 (huge for a bathroom). It has been said before and I agree, that I've never been in a tactical situation where I wanted less light.

Thanks for the hands-on review. You LEO?

msstate56
12-08-12, 10:24
Thanks for the hands-on review. You LEO?

Yes I am. I would be quite foolish to go around clearing houses if I wasn't. I really like that Surefire has updated their lights across the board. I use a 750 lumen R1 Lawman as my belt light. It's hard to believe that just a couple of years ago I was happy with 200 lumens. Now, I wouldn't consider using a light on duty that wasn't at least 500.

BigLarge
12-08-12, 21:41
Yes I am. I would be quite foolish to go around clearing houses if I wasn't. I really like that Surefire has updated their lights across the board. I use a 750 lumen R1 Lawman as my belt light. It's hard to believe that just a couple of years ago I was happy with 200 lumens. Now, I wouldn't consider using a light on duty that wasn't at least 500.

I've seen dumber things. I arrived on a similar call and an off-duty jailer (who happened to be driving by) had already "cleared" the house. :rolleyes:

You're lucky, I current have a Streamlight Stinger and an Insight M3 light. Hopefully with next years budget I can get an R1 and a x300u....

TehLlama
12-09-12, 14:28
Personally, I feel the lumen output depends on your eyesight. My dad, who has poor vision, needs a much brighter light than I do with my 20/10 vision. I don't need a 500 lumen light on an indoor use weapon light, because my vision is well above most others. I feel the brighter lights impact my vision more negatively in some situations than they benefit, so I chose a more conservative output unless its being used outside.

YMMV

I think this nails exactly why I prefer lower output (even 60 Lumen) light myself. My night sight is so good that I2 devices are only helpful in new moon conditions for me when just walking around. In in shoothouses and daytime indoor use, I'm still extremely sparing with touching a light, and I can make out shapes very accurately even at the edge of that throw.

As my eyesight ages, I'm sure I'll be into the boat where I'd rather have a search light hanging off every weapon instead of what I prefer now, which is enough illumination to light what I need to see in front of me, but not so much I lose all night sight if I spot check a mirror.

temecula
12-29-12, 18:26
Both are just the same. IMO. little brighter wont give u any benefit.
200 already blind ur eye

Traveshamockery
12-29-12, 19:43
200 already blind ur eye

Is this based on your hands-on experience with the X300 and X300 ultra?

msstate56
12-30-12, 11:21
200 already blind ur eye

People who have used the new 500 lumens lights for real, such as Pat Rogers, and many LE patrol officers, would disagree with you.

ra2bach
12-30-12, 15:45
talking about lumens - most people think lumens means power but it makes sense to think of it as amount...

I use the analogy of light as a "substance" like water or sand. if I take a gallon bucket of water or sand, it will be compressed and dense but if I spread it over 10'x10' area it will thin out. so will light. a 100 lumen light will give bright illum if condensed into a small area and the distance is kept short. as you increase the spread it will appear to dim overall.

talking about lumens without including the design of the reflector is not helpful as it doesn't take into account the dispersion. obviously reflectors can be engineered to give a "spot" or a "flood" beam, and increasing the amount of light will give either a longer throw or brighter light within that pattern.

where the new higher lumen lights have appeal is that they can have reflectors that give very wide dispersion and still maintain good illum. simply saying 500 lumens is too much for indoors doesn't take into consideration that a wider beam needs more lumens to maintain intensity throughout the beam.

regarding the 300 Ultra, I haven't seen one but if it can fill a room with light I don't see how that can be a bad thing. it would help to know if it is a spot or flood beam...

Steve S.
12-30-12, 23:41
talking about lumens - most people think lumens means power but it makes sense to think of it as amount...

I use the analogy of light as a "substance" like water or sand. if I take a gallon bucket of water or sand, it will be compressed and dense but if I spread it over 10'x10' area it will thin out. so will light. a 100 lumen light will give bright illum if condensed into a small area and the distance is kept short. as you increase the spread it will appear to dim overall.

talking about lumens without including the design of the reflector is not helpful as it doesn't take into account the dispersion. obviously reflectors can be engineered to give a "spot" or a "flood" beam, and increasing the amount of light will give either a longer throw or brighter light within that pattern.

where the new higher lumen lights have appeal is that they can have reflectors that give very wide dispersion and still maintain good illum. simply saying 500 lumens is too much for indoors doesn't take into consideration that a wider beam needs more lumens to maintain intensity throughout the beam.

regarding the 300 Ultra, I haven't seen one but if it can fill a room with light I don't see how that can be a bad thing. it would help to know if it is a spot or flood beam...

Very good post.

The Ultra has a tight spot like the standard, but the flood is larger and much brighter.

I have some video of me shooting an X300 at 25 yards on steel, and another student shooting an Ultra at 50 yards on steel. The target is illuminated about the same with the Ultra at twice the distance. The X300 standard wouldn't adequately illuminate a threat at this distance.

I haven't found it to be troublesome indoors. Just don't zap any mirrors.

That thing gets CRAZY hot though in a short amount of time though.

jerrylo913
01-08-13, 21:06
I just bought the ultra for my G19 gen4 and I love it. Also the DG switch is a awesome combo to have.

xjustintimex
01-08-13, 21:13
the ultra to me is a hands down big improvement. It is bigger though so if you have any holsters exc they will have to be switched out too. The light is not any more blinding because it really throws the light out in less of a beam than the 300

SunTzu
01-08-13, 21:25
My opinion that you have been waiting patiently for :p would be to go for the ultra. I'm upgrading my pistol light from a tlr1 to the ultra. I was going to go x300 until I read the difference in output. No brainer, in my opinion.

patriot_man
01-09-13, 19:19
Any of you guys run an X300 in the 9 o'clock position on a rifle?

I'm debating about picking up an X300 Ultra or M300A but the switchology of the X300 has me wondering if I will be able to easily turn on the light when mounted at the 9 o'clock position due to the toggle switch. Only experience I've had with an X300 on a carbine was running one on the 12 o clock position and I sold mine so no way of trying it out.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6163/6184043177_c4a68edd67_z.jpg