PDA

View Full Version : Gonna start dressing up my 6920

BillC
02-18-08, 23:50
I've had this rifle for 1 1/2 now and it's bare bones, Im not one for wanting to hang a whole bunch of stuff off my rifles, but I think im gonna with this one ;) Okay, first off I can only buy one thing at a time! So im gonna start off with a Rail, looking at a Daniel Defense rail, im limited with tools, just wondering if I should send it out to have it put on after I get it? I want the FSB removed and replaced with a flip-up front sight, and a rear sight. My main add on's is going to be either a Vltor buttstock or a LMT sopmod stock, Vickers Sling or one of those bungee slings that I see Clint Smith using, not sure yet. I want a front grip handle, and while im at it Im thinking of replacing the main grip, perhaps with something that has a small storage compartment batteries or cleaning kit, or small oil bottle. I still haven't decided which optic I plan on using, but im leaning towards an EOtech. Okay, feel free to advise!

TOrrock
02-18-08, 23:53
The first thing I'd get, honestly, is a good optic and mount (Aimpoint).

A light next, whether that goes on a rail or not.

Those are the two major upgrades for a carbine, before all others.......

Tim_FL
02-19-08, 00:19

I agree with Templar but I would go Eotech :D

BillC
02-19-08, 00:48
OK, heres a question, is their a partial rail for light and vertical grip or would I have to get a complete rail system? I know the EOtech/Aimpoint has many opinions I have no experience with any.

evilmonkey
02-19-08, 01:26
Yes you can get rails to put on your exsisting handguards but I wouldn't, I would get a handgurds with rails built in to them you will be a lot happier! As far as Vltor or LMT I would go with the Vltor. The LMT is nice but I think the Vltors are better looking and just as tough as the LMT, plus they are 75 to 100 dollars cheaper. With the Aimpoint or Eotech its just which one is better for you. Some people prefer the the crosshairs and some like the red dot either way they are both tough as nails and will last you a long time. Good luck with what ever you decide!

TBomb
02-19-08, 09:07
I am by no means an expert but from what I have gathered on here you could shave down your FSB leaving the factory gas block installed, have a rail installed that extends over the FSB, and install a flip-up front sight on the rail. Personally, if I had a 6920 and was going to use a non-magnified optic, I would leave the FSB as-is and put on something like the Daniel Defense Omega rail and use a flip-up rear sight. That is mostly because I would have a hard time with cutting something off of a fine carbine like the 6920 and not be able to return it to its original configuration. That's just my opinion though :)

rob_s
02-19-08, 09:21
On the carbine that I'm putting together that I don't want a rail system on, I'm going to be using a Surefire 500B (http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/127/prrfnbr/978/Millennium-Forend). At first I was scared off by the retail price of $515, but another member here turned me on to the fact that they can be picked up on the used market for $200-$250 (the lower price end is for the older models without the nave lights[/url]. By the time you put a FF rail and a light on an AR, you're looking at at least $350.

I have tried going the route of mounting a piece of rail to my existing M4 handguards, and it's just not worth the time and effort of monkeying with the parts, searching out the parts that work, modifying said pats, etc.

DocMinster
02-19-08, 09:55

Agree with Templar go with a Aimpoint setup first.

Make it Highly functional first..then add the other goodies.

I have the same Colt 6920 rifle...IMHO I would go in this order and this is what I used.

Aimpoint / Mount (I have Aimpoint M2/ARMS M68)
Flip up rear sight ( have the ARMS L-P.50)
Pistol Grip (I have a Magpul MAID)
Daniel Defense Rail (I have the 9.5 M4)
Vert Grip (I have Tangodown)
Stock (I have a Vltor )
Rail covers (I have KAS Rail covers)
Light setup ( I Have a Surefire with pigtail)
Front Rail Sling Point (I have Daniel Defense)
Sling (I went with a simple Viking ) and made a wolf sling that is permanently attached to my weapon/chest rig.

PM if you have questions Good luck your wallet is going to ache..lol

Doc

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/DocMinster/6920Right.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/DocMinster/6920Left.jpg

with PVS14
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/DocMinster/6920LeftPVS.jpg

BillC
02-19-08, 15:51
If I have to cut the FSB off it will stay ;) Doc, your setup is pretty much everything that I want on mine, I just don't know if I want to be looking at the FSB when im looking through the optic. Thanks for the pics! It will take me awhile to get everything I want on the rifle, but as mentioned the optic will definetly come first.

tkoglman
02-19-08, 16:53
Before you start cutting on your rifle, I would suggest you do some further reading on the use of optics.

Many very experienced people are of the opinion that you should keep the standard FSB when using any of the 1X red dot sights.

You should also have a rear back up iron sight (BUIS) as well behind the optic. Whether you decide on a fixed or flip up is a matter of personal preference.

The reason for this is the ability to "co-witness" your iron sights. Meaning, you can align your iron sights while looking through the optic. This allows you to immediately use your iron sights for aiming if, for some reason, the red dot sight is not functioning properly. This could be dead battery (not likely with the Aimpoint), it shut itself off (not likely with the Aimpoint), or you don't have the brightness turned up high enough for the particular shot (this can be a likely occurance for LE on night shift due to wide range of light conditions).

Some shooters prefer an "absolute co-witness" where the red dot sits exactly on the top of the front sight post when the iron sights are aligned, while others prefer a "lower 1/3 co-witness" where the iron sights are in the bottom 1/3 of the optics FOV.

With a little practice, most people aren't even aware of the front sight while using the RDS.

Flip up front sights are good when you are running a magnified optic as your primary and it is mounted with quick-detach rings or mount.

If I were you, I would look hard at Aimpoint. The Micro's (H-1;T-1), the ML3, and the C3. The batteries can last, turned on, for years. They are easier to adjust the brightness on than the Eotech. They don't turn themselves off like the Eotech. You can tell just by looking at it what brightness setting it is on, unlike the Eotech. If you use a high quality mount (read "Larue") they won't come loose like an Eotech.

Like I said, there is a lot of information on optics on this board. Read as much as you can before you start spending your money.

M4builder
02-20-08, 09:12
I agree with Templar but I would go Eotech :D

Agreed.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z96/M4builder/ARFCOM/A15.jpg

Harv
02-20-08, 19:25
If you have NEVER taken a class by a competent instructor... then you should do that way before you start buying crap to hang of your rifle...

Or your just going to be another Buckethead with $700 hanging of his gun that can't manipulate it or shoot with any degree of skill....

I'm just sayin.......

NoBody
02-20-08, 20:53
OK, heres a question, is their a partial rail for light and vertical grip or would I have to get a complete rail system? I know the EOtech/Aimpoint has many opinions I have no experience with any.

See if you can find someone with an Aimpoint and EOTech that you can borrow. I use an Aimpoint at work, but an EOTech on my personal carbine. They're both good sights and it's ultimately your call.

BillC
02-20-08, 21:22
If you have NEVER taken a class by a competent instructor... then you should do that way before you start buying crap to hang of your rifle...

Or your just going to be another Buckethead with $700 hanging of his gun that can't manipulate it or shoot with any degree of skill....

I'm just sayin.......

Yeah, I understand your point, but this applies to most things including bucket heads sitting behind $1000 PC's and only know how to access the internet ;) I've already begun to check into some carbine courses, but would like to have atleast an optic before I actually attend one, the others items like the vertical grip would also be nice, but I can live without.