PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauerr P226 tacops & Elite Dark

dean1197
11-28-12, 21:00
Hi, between the Sig Sauer P226 Tactical Operations and the Elite Dark has anyone heard of any problems with either of these guns? I've read the Tacops has some problems with the magazines, anyone heard anything about this? Are they basically the same thing aside from the magazines and grips? any preferences between one or the other?

rathos
11-29-12, 00:55
tac ops uses a fiber optic/tritium hybrid front sight. Some have complained about the fiber optic breaking. The 20 or 15 round extended mags (9mm or 40 S&W) didn't work right if they were made by checkmate, just as the standard size checkmate mags had issues as well. If you are going to buy one look if the mags are made in the USA (checkmate and garbage) or Italy (mecgar the good stuff). The elite dark comes with an adjustable rear which some do not like, I have had customers send them back to sig because they do not hold zero. Most ended up being replaced with a fixed sight.

The aluminum grips on the elite feel much better in my hands, but if I were buying one I would go with the tac ops.

DBZ220
11-29-12, 06:58
Personally, I think those two guns are gimmicky as all hell.
Factually, the Checkmate Sig mags are utter crap regardless of caliber. I've heard you can get them working with better springs though.
The adjustable rear sight is also crap. I've seen the failure to hold zero issues before, and saw two sight units that fell apart completely during matches.

S. Galbraith
11-29-12, 08:29
Personally, I think those two guns are gimmicky as all hell.

This.

If I was wanting to purchase another P226 9mm, I would select one that was of W. German or German make with the carbon stamped slides. There are many of them available:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/949378925/West_German_Sig_Sauer_P226.htm
http://www.gunsamerica.com/909444644/Sig_Sauer_P226_9mm_RARE_w_Germany_made_3_mags_with_cas.htm
http://www.gunsamerica.com/982143314/Sig_Sauer_P226_9mm_Pistol_Made_in_W_Germany_Use.htm#

Wiggity
11-30-12, 01:07
Skip both a get a MK25.

I have 9k rounds through mine with no issues whatsoever.

graffex
11-30-12, 20:09
I wouldn't buy either due to there ****ing ridiculous names. Sigs track record the last few years doesn't exactly make me gravitate towards anything they make either. Much better options out there.

paperchasin
12-01-12, 10:35
As others have mentioned, the TacOps has had some issues with the magazines resulting in FTE/FTF issues. If the TacoOps comes with MecGar mags, you're good to go. The front fiber optic is an easy fix. You can buy replacement filaments from DawsonPrecision.

The dark elite, I've heard of issues with the rear sight coming loose and losing the zero. Sad thing too is that there is no suitable replacement rear sight.

WARRIOR84
12-01-12, 18:05
Why not just get a plain p226 and use the extra money to get ammo and mags? I recently bought a p226 and its been flawless so far no gimmicks just the plain p226 that has worked for decades.

Sent straight from my mind to this forum.