PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable night sights for Glock 17

dpritch
11-28-12, 21:05
I have a Gen 4 G17 and was thinking about putting the adjustable meprolight night sights on it. Does anyone have any experience with these sights or any other adjustable sights?

okie john
11-29-12, 14:53
I have a Gen 4 G17 and was thinking about putting the adjustable meprolight night sights on it. Does anyone have any experience with these sights or any other adjustable sights?

I’ve been shooting and carrying Glocks with adjustable sights for about a year. I have one G17 with Meprologht adjustable night sights plus a G17 and a G22 with Dawson adjustable non-night sights. I’m happy with them for the most part, but it wasn’t easy getting to this point.

I have found that I shoot best with a specific ratio of front post width to rear notch width. With adjustable sights, you have a lot fewer options for getting this ratio right than you do with fixed sights, and it takes some serious fiddling to sort everything out.

I bought the Meprolights as a set from Glockmeister. The notch is about right but the post is far too wide. I replaced the post with a 0.125" tritium post that I painted with red model paint, which is pretty much perfect.

One of the Dawsons came with a tritium front post on a gun I got from TigerSwan. I ordered the other separately and tried front posts until I ended up with one that’s basically identical to the one I use with the Meprolight rear. Both of the Dawson notches are too narrow, so I had the sight on the TS gun opened to 0.156", which is ideal for a 0.125" post in my book. (I’m not sure if this is possible with the night-sight version.) Someday I’ll send the other one out and have it opened up, too.

The Dawsons are a bit more comfortable for concealed carry, but both types really need a holster with a full-length sweat guard, like the Fricke Archangel. I haven’t had any of them hang up on my clothes on the draw, although the taller front sights have increased the need for care in reholstering.

I’ve only had one issue with the Meprolight adjustable rear. I installed it myself, and a couple of days later, I found that it had moved about ¼” in the dovetail, which moved my POI pretty much into the next county. I have no idea how this happened unless maybe it got bumped HARD in transit. In any case, I pushed them back where they belong and they’ve stayed put ever since. Once this pistol passed the 2k round test, it became my EDC.

Hope this answers your question.

Okie John