PDA

View Full Version : Left Hand Charging Upper (like a FAL/STG, etc)

IdahoRenegade
11-28-12, 23:28
I'm starting to select and pick up parts for my first AR build. I built a FAL about 10 years ago. To me, the charging handle on it seems handier and easier to access than that on my current AR. I've come across a few vendors offering LHCH uppers (though I can't remember who right now). I'm wondering, what are the advantages/disadvantages (unless you're left handed) to this approach? I would imagine that there might be some loss of strength/stiffness with the handle cutout in the receiver...and perhaps another point for dirt/dust to enter the action, but that's just speculation. Who's got a rifle set up this way, and what advantages/disadvantages have you seen?

THanks.

eta...here was one I had stumbled across: http://www.dpmsinc.com/LAR-Left-Side-Charged-AR15-A3-Upper-Receiver_p_2032.html
as well as this one: http://www.americanspiritarms.com/upper-receivers/asa-ar-15-m4-side-charger-upper-receiver-without-carrier/

Iraqgunz
11-29-12, 01:07
I wouldn't buy any trash that either of them are selling. Get an ambi charging handle and be done with it.

MistWolf
11-29-12, 08:38
For the price of one of those stripped uppers, you've about paid for a complete FAL kit

djmorris
11-29-12, 12:09
Don't buy that side charging handle crap, dude. You'll regret it; especially at that price. Like they mentioned above, get an ambi charging handle or a BCM Gunfighter and be done with it. Don't buy trash AR parts from DPMS or "American Spirit Arms" whatever THAT is.

CarRacer
11-29-12, 19:48
I'm left handed and building an upper now that follows what Military Morons recommends. It's a Vltor MUR 1S upper with that new AXTS ambi charging handle.

You'll have a much more pleasant experience going that route.

Guinnessman
11-30-12, 07:25
I am a fellow lefty and prefer the BCM Gunfighter CH. The larger latch makes manipulations much easier and the price is right. The Rainier Arms ambi looks like a winner too.

sinlessorrow
11-30-12, 07:56
I wouldn't buy any trash that either of them are selling. Get an ambi charging handle and be done with it.

+1. Those left hand side chargers are made by questionable companies.

RWBlue
11-30-12, 09:53
The main disadvantage I see is that they are non-standard. If you break a part, you are screwed because you can not buy a replacement from anybody. It has to come from them.

As far as DPMS being crap, I have very little experience with their product, but I have see well respected dealers use their components, so.....

Iraqgunz
11-30-12, 17:02
Plenty of well respected dealers and stores also sell Bushmaster, Del-ton parts, etc... doesn't change the fact that they are garbage. It's called maximum profit potential.

The main disadvantage I see is that they are non-standard. If you break a part, you are screwed because you can not buy a replacement from anybody. It has to come from them.

As far as DPMS being crap, I have very little experience with their product, but I have see well respected dealers use their components, so.....

bullitt
11-30-12, 17:58
I hear a lot of people very quick to put the side chargers down. Does anyone have any first hand experience with one? Especially the ASA one. I don't care for them because of parts availability, cost, and I personally don't have any issue with the standard charging handle. However, I've never seen anything to suggest they are complete garbage. Not defending them, just hoping to find some evidence one way or the other.

VIP3R 237
11-30-12, 18:15
I'm left handed and building an upper now that follows what Military Morons recommends. It's a Vltor MUR 1S upper with that new AXTS ambi charging handle.

You'll have a much more pleasant experience going that route.

As a lefty i have found this to be the best combination on the market right now. Just match it with a KAC IWS or AXTS lower and you'll have a true ambi rifle.

Side chargers are over-rated and not worht the $

fixit69
11-30-12, 18:18
I received a RA raptor a few weeks ago. I haven't ran it but it might be what you are looking for. I just don't trust the offerings you listed because I know who made it and I don't trust them.

ETA: have you tried a BCM gunfighter? I have no problem with it left handed and have them on all my rifles except one PRI and that may be gone soon.