PDA

View Full Version : Colt LE6920 -vs- AR6720 info wanted??

NYH1
11-29-12, 02:16
I going to buy a new Colt AR15 Carbine. I'll have to make it "post-ban" compliant. I'm considering the LE6920 and AR6720 Lightweight Carbine. I'm really leaning towards the AR6720, I like it because of it's lightweight. I'll put my Aimpoint PRO on it. I'll probably get the lightest "top tier" drop-in quad rail for it to mount a compact light and maybe a lightweight front grip. Or I may even go with the Magpul MOE hand guard. I have a Stag M1 w/Plus Package (which I really like and I'm going to keep) that is setup pretty much like the LE6920, Gov. barrel profile ect.

I was wondering what people that have or have used both carbines think of them. Does the lightweight of the AR6720 have any negative effects? Does the added weight of the LE6920 have any benefits over the lightweight model? If so, what are the effects of each? I'm looking for the pro's and con's of each carbine by people that have hands on experience with them both, or even other carbine that are similar.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help, NYH1.

Iraqgunz
11-29-12, 02:20
The only real difference is the weigt and LW barrel. Other than that they are basically identical. Only you can decide what is the best option for you. Are you concerened about weight?

It would seem that since you have a Stag I would get the 6720.

Toyoland66
11-29-12, 08:38
6720 with a centurion car cutout rail and x300 at 12:00 would be an excellent combo.

ST911
11-29-12, 08:53
Search term "6920 vs 6720": https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=97514

I carried a 6920 as a patrol rifle for several years, and switched to the 6720 when Clyde first got them. I like the lighter weight, esp when standing around for longer periods and in one handed drills. IBOs and kids like the lighter weight as well. I run a T1 in LT mount, bolt-on light mount, no rails, no forward grip. If buying new, I'd get the 6720.

Beat Trash
11-29-12, 13:24
I've used the 6920 for a while. I recently bought a 6720 for my lady friend. The weight difference isn't that drastic. What is difference is the feel and balance of the gun.

I actually prefer the feel of the 6920. But I'm sure it is because after all these years, I'm just used to it.

For realistic civilian or LE usage, I feel the difference between the two guns comes down to a matter of personal preference.

HardToHandle
11-29-12, 20:15

I run Colts in both profiles. If I could turn back time, they'd both be 6720s.

Unless you are in a firebase defense in Afghanistan and having to piss on your rifle to keep it cool, the M4 cut barrel doesn't offer much advantage to my knowledge.

The 6720's weight differiental feels more significant than the numbers indicate. It has real advantages when carrying for extended time/distance or loaning to another shooter.

The only nod to the 6920 is the sheer availability and the number of people ditching 6920 uppers on sales sites at reduced costs.

Negative effects? The 6920 does swing faster than the 6720 when transitioning, but it also stops slower and needs more muscle. To give a terrible comparison, it's like the difference between a 12 and 20 guage in the same 870 or 500 series. Generally the purpose built 20 is always starts faster and more svelte, but not always smoother. I find that I over-muscle the 6720 a bit because I play with both.

NYH1
11-29-12, 21:19
Thanks guys.

NYH1.

Ark1443
11-29-12, 23:16
I purchased a 6720, my first LW ar, and I have to say I prefer it over my Daniel Defense mid-length v3 model.

Again, personal preference, cannot go wrong either way.

fdxpilot
11-30-12, 01:27
One plus not mentioned for the 6720 is that it comes with a pretty decent folding BUIS (Matech) standard, whereas the 6920 has the classic carry handle. When the handle comes off for your Aimpoint, you still need a rear BUIS.

NYH1
11-30-12, 08:21
I'm going to have to buy the complete upper and a complete lower to make my carbine. I really like the AR6720 setup and I'm pretty sure thats the way I'm going to go.

However, here in New Yorkistan, we cannot have "post-ban" lowers with "AR15" roll marks on them that were manufactured after Sept. 13th, 1994. It can be roll marked "M4", "Tacticle Match", "Sporter", pretty much anything other then "AR15".

I'll probably buy the LE6920 complete lower and the AR6720 complete upper.

Anyone know where I can buy a complete AR6720 upper?

Thanks, NYH1.

crowkiller
11-30-12, 08:36
I'm going to have to buy the complete upper and a complete lower to make my carbine. I really like the AR6720 setup and I'm pretty sure thats the way I'm going to go.

However, here in New Yorkistan, we cannot have "post-ban" lowers with "AR15" roll marks on them that were manufactured after Sept. 13th, 1994. It can be roll marked "M4", "Tacticle Match", "Sporter", pretty much anything other then "AR15".

I'll probably buy the LE6920 complete lower and the AR6720 complete upper.

Anyone know where I can buy a complete AR6720 upper?

Thanks, NYH1.

I bought a 6720 talo edition with the Magpul furniture and the lower is marked M4 Carbine.

NYH1
12-05-12, 01:55
Well I sent my FFL a text last night and asked him if he could get me a price on a AR6720 complete lower. He texted my back this morning saying that he could check on that price for me. . . . .but that he has at least one Colt MT6400 Carbine coming either Friday or Monday. My wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting another AR15 (of course she wouldn't understand), but she seems to be on board with it. Being so close to Christmas I was a little surprised she doesn't seem to care if I get it. We started getting the kids stuff early this year so that helps a lot.

So I'm 99.999% sure that I'm going to get it. It's basically a "post-ban" compliant LE6920. It has the same barrel without a flash hider, the collapsible stock is pinned at the longest position and there is no bayonet lug. I couldn't care less about not having those three things on it. Truth be told, I'll probably take the collapsible stock off of it and swap it with the A2 stock from my Stag AR15 that I'm basically giving to my son. He likes the "cool factor" look of the collapsible stock. I just plan like the A2 stock, so it'll work out for both of us.

I wanted the lightweight of the AR6720 Carbine. However, it's going to be so much easier to just get the "post-ban" compliant MT6400 Carbine. It's one of Colt's Match Target Carbines. The weight isn't a big deal anyway's, my Stag isn't heavy by any means. It's pretty much Stag's version of Colt's LE6920, looks and weighs the same. I won't have to fiddle with it at all. Just pick it up. . . . .wait until Christmas she says. . . . .then just shoot it. Funny thing is, my FFL has the Colt XSE 1911 (O1980XSE) I want in stock. She'd KILL ME if I came home with both of them. Either way I'm gonna be on the Colt wagon!

NYH1!

Iraqgunz
12-05-12, 03:00
I think you are making a mistake and if I were in your shoes I would just do a build using---http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-14-5-Mid-Length-LW-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw-bfh.htm---- have a compliant device pinned and welded from BCM.

Then I would get a lower receiver and just add a Magpul rifle stock and you are done.

Well I sent my FFL a text last night and asked him if he could get me a price on a AR6720 complete lower. He texted my back this morning saying that he could check on that price for me. . . . .but that he has at least one Colt MT6400 Carbine coming either Friday or Monday. My wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting another AR15 (of course she wouldn't understand), but she seems to be on board with it. Being so close to Christmas I was a little surprised she doesn't seem to care if I get it. We started getting the kids stuff early this year so that helps a lot.

So I'm 99.999% sure that I'm going to get it. It's basically a "post-ban" compliant LE6920. It has the same barrel without a flash hider, the collapsible stock is pinned at the longest position and there is no bayonet lug. I couldn't care less about not having those three things on it. Truth be told, I'll probably take the collapsible stock off of it and swap it with the A2 stock from my Stag AR15 that I'm basically giving to my son. He likes the "cool factor" look of the collapsible stock. I just plan like the A2 stock, so it'll work out for both of us.

I wanted the lightweight of the AR6720 Carbine. However, it's going to be so much easier to just get the "post-ban" compliant MT6400 Carbine. It's one of Colt's Match Target Carbines. The weight isn't a big deal anyway's, my Stag isn't heavy by any means. It's pretty much Stag's version of Colt's LE6920, looks and weighs the same. I won't have to fiddle with it at all. Just pick it up. . . . .wait until Christmas she says. . . . .then just shoot it. Funny thing is, my FFL has the Colt XSE 1911 (O1980XSE) I want in stock. She'd KILL ME if I came home with both of them. Either way I'm gonna be on the Colt wagon!

NYH1!

SMETNA
12-05-12, 06:46

Are you sure about this? Do I need to break out my NYS Penal Law?

warner41
12-05-12, 15:55
Are you sure about this? Do I need to break out my NYS Penal Law?

I am a New Yorker and am pretty familiar with our version of the Federal AWB. The term AR15 is not illegal as previously stated, it all comes down to the "evil features".

NYH1
12-05-12, 20:10
Iraqgunz, thanks for the info. However, the Colt MT6400 Carbine will work fine for me. I can't have a flash hider and don't like muzzle brakes, this has a regular crowned barrel. Once I swap the pinned non functioning collapsible stock for the A2 stock from my Stag this will be exactly how I want my AR15 to be. I'm going to put my Aimpoint PRO and fixed rear sight on it, as well as get a good drop-in quad rail, front hand grip, compact light and single point sling on it.

SMETNA & warner41, this is from another site. I've read and been told this a lot of times. Non of our local dealers have any Colts roll marked AR15. I'm not going to take a chance. I'm perfectly satisfied with with a "post-ban" compliant Colt MT6400 Carbine. This will be my third AR15. Both of the other two were/are "post-ban" compliant too.

Q: What is a “semiautomatic assault weapon” (SAW)?
A: A SAW is a rifle, shotgun, or pistol manufactured after September 14, 1994 with certain “evil” features. See below for more information regarding the state law as it pertains to rifles, shotguns and pistols.

Rifles
To qualify as a SAW, a rifle must be semiautomatic (otherwise known as auto-loading) and must be able to accept a detachable magazine. A post-ban rifle that qualifies as a SAW must not have more than one “evil” feature. These “evil” features are as follows:

•A pistol grip

•A flash hider or a threaded barrel that can readily accept a flash hider or suppressor

•A folding or telescoping stock

•A bayonet lug

•A grenade launcher

Shotguns
To qualify as a SAW, a shotgun must be semiautomatic. As with semi-auto rifles, it must not have more than one “evil” feature. These “evil” features are as follows:

•A fixed magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds

•A folding or telescoping stock

•A pistol grip

•The ability to accept a detachable magazine (Please note that while this is an evil feature of shotguns, it is not one for rifles)

Pistols
In order to qualify as a SAW, a pistol must be semiautomatic and be able to accept a detachable magazine. It may not have more than one “evil” feature. These “evil” features are as follows:

•A threaded barrel capable of accepting a sound suppressor, forward grip, barrel extension, or flash hider

•A barrel shroud that partially or completely encircles the barrel

•A magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip

•A manufactured weight of 50 ounces or greater unloaded

The law also states that semi-automatic versions of fully-automatic weapons are illegal, but this is rather ambiguous. Many of us here in NYS own AR-15 rifles and AK-47 clones.

Furthermore, the AWB states:
1.) Assault weapon means:

•Any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as:

•Norinco, Polytech, and Mitchell Avtomat Kalashnikovs (AK-47’s);

•Action Arms IMI (Israeli Military Industries) Uzi and Galil;

•Beretta AR-70 (SC-70);

•Colt AR-15;

•Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, and FNC;

•SWD M-10, M-11, M 11/9, M-12;

•Steyr AUG;

•INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22;

•Revolving cylinder shotguns such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper or Striker 12

What this list means is post-ban Colt rifles with an “AR-15” roll mark are not legal. Note: If the rifle is marked “Sporter” instead of “AR-15,” it is legal despite the fact it is the same machine. Again, pre-bans are exempt.

Q: But my post-ban Bushmaster XM-15 is the same as a Colt AR-15! According to the list, is it illegal?
A: No. Your post-ban Bushmaster is perfectly legal to own as long as you keep it within the law.

Q: I saw a Remington 870 shotgun in Gander Mtn. and it had a capacity of 8 rounds and a collapsing stock. Isn’t that an assault weapon?
A: No! Under the AWB, it is exempt because it is not a semiautomatic shotgun. It’s a pump action so it can have the whole list of evil features and still be perfectly legal. The law exempts certain weapons by stating:

•Assault weapons do not include:

•Any rifle, shotgun, or pistol that: is manually operated by bolt, pump, slide or lever action; or has been rendered permanently inoperable;

•An antique firearm as defined under federal law;

•A semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than 5 rounds of ammo;

•A semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than 5 rounds of ammo in a fixed or detachable magazine;

A rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a duplicate thereof, specifically exempted from the federal assault weapon ban list as such weapon was manufactured on October 1, 1993.

Q: I have a pre-ban Bushmaster lower receiver. Do I have to use pre-ban parts to build it into a legal rifle?
A: No! You can buy brand new parts for your rifle; they don’t have to be pre-ban. Go onto any vendor of manufacturer on the web, and order yourself the most evil upper you like. As long as you obey other applicable state and federal laws, you can build your dream AR-15 style weapon with a pre-ban receiver.

Q: I have a PWA pre-ban lower and I’m not sure it was a complete rifle before the ban. Can I build it into a pre-ban rifle?
A: Yes, it is legal to build into a pre-ban rifle. Note there is no official, written ruling from any authority in NY. If you are uncomfortable building on such a receiver then you don't have to. As with anything you should proceed in the manner you’re comfortable with.

Q: I have a post-ban rifle with a barrel threaded at the muzzle, but the muzzle brake is welded on permanently. The ATF ruled this was legal under the federal ban. NYS has no ruling regarding this. Is it legal per the NYS AWB?
A: Again, yes/no/maybe. Authorities in NYS have not made any rulings on any part of the AWB. So the simple answer is nobody really knows. Most people feel if you abide by the BATFE ruling that states the muzzle brake must be welded on with 1100 degree silver solder, you should be good to go. Others feel that if you have such barrels with welded muzzle brakes, you’re leaving yourself open to prosecution and being the test case for rulings regarding the NYS AWB. It really depends on what you’re comfortable with. If you don’t have any post-ban rifles with threaded barrels, you don’t have anything to worry about. If you do have a post-ban rifle with a threaded barrel and a pinned/welded muzzle brake, you probably still have nothing to worry about as you have the federal rulings on your side, but there is a risk. It’s up to you how you fit out your post-ban rifles.

Q: Can I install a vertical foregrip (VFG) on my post-ban rifle?
A: Yes. There are no restrictions regarding VFG’s.

Q: Are high capacity magazines legal?
A: Newly manufactured large capacity ammunition feeding devices (hi-cap mags) with a capacity of more than 10-rounds are not legal. However, those made before that magical date of September 14, 1994 are exempt from the law, no matter what their capacity is. Even 100 round pre-ban Beta magazines are legal, but they cost a small fortune.

Q: Can I use pre-ban magazines in post-ban weapons?
A: This is a very frequently asked question. It is a common misconception; “a gun-show myth” even, that pre-ban magazines can only be used in pre-ban weapons. The answer is yes; absolutely you can use pre-ban magazines in any weapon, post-ban or otherwise. So go ahead, splurge on that pre-ban Beta mag and have fun until your post-ban barrel melts!

Q: Since the federal ban has sunset and new magazines are being made without LEO markings, is it safe to purchase new manufacture magazines as there is no way to prove whether they are pre-ban or not?
A: Do whatever you want; it’s your ass on the line, not anybody else’s. Frankly, there are plenty of pre-bans out there for the taking, so why risk it? Get some pre-bans, be able to prove their date of manufacture, and have fun without fear of losing your guns or the right to own guns over a stupid and ineffective law.

Q: I see a lot of ads on Gunbroker.com for pre-ban stuff. Is there really that much stuff out there?
A: No. There are vendors on Gunbroker who are listing their no-ban wares as pre-ban. What the ad is stating is the weapon or part is “pre-ban” only in the sense that its configuration is that of a weapon before the ban, even if the weapon or part was made after the ban. Buyer beware! Make sure you establish pre-ban (pre-September 14, 1994) status before you bid- it’s your ass, not the seller’s!

Q: I was looking through the photo galleries in the technical forums, and I saw that some members have rifles with barrels shorter than 16”. Can I own those here in NY?
A: No. Full auto weapons, short-barreled rifles (SBR’s; rifles with barrel lengths shorter than 16 inches), short-barreled shotguns (SBS’; shotguns with barrel lengths shorter than 18 inches) and other fun NFA (National Firearms Act) toys are not legal here, with exceptions. You can get a smooth-bore 12GA. shotgun pistol like the Serbu (considered an AOW; Any Other Weapon) on your pistol permit. Destructive devices (DD’s) are also AOW’s and not prohibited by NYS laws either. For any NFA stuff, you have to go through your local chief law enforcement officer for a signature on your BATFE paperwork. With some counties in NY, getting a sign-off on a Form 4 is a pipe dream

I'm not trying to start a p!ssing contest here, I appreciate all the members and advice on this site. You guys and gals are great. Like I said, I'm not going to take any chances.

Thanks for your replies, NYH1! ;)

NYH1
12-05-12, 20:13
Forgot to mention, I'm definitely getting it. My FFL is going to call me when it gets here. He ordered a bunch of Colt Firearms so I'm not sure exactly when it'll be here. It's going to happen though!

NYH1!

duece71
12-06-12, 07:22
I have an MT6400. Its a post ban neutered 6920 and is a great rifle. I would see if you can break it apart before purchasing. Check to see if it has a sear block and the half moon BCG. If you can't see a sear block, (NY law may mandate that this device is already installed, not sure) you may be able to switch out the BCG for a semi auto or full auto (if the laws allow). I have the half moon as a back up and went with a Colt full auto BCG for use. Also, have you ever shot with a rifle with a MB?? The MT6400 that I purchased came with a MB that was installed at the factory. I had it removed and replaced with an A2 as I do not live in a ban state. (sounds like NY law would not allow for this.) Your MT6400 may have that brake installed. Honestly I would rather have a Battlecomp than the brake that came with the rifle. See if you can shoot a rifle with a brake before you buy. You may end up liking the brake and therefore could go with the suggestion that IG made earlier. However, I have had a lot of fun with the MT6400 and never any problems. Good luck.

NYH1
12-06-12, 08:26
duece71, my Stag Model 1 has a muzzle brake. I don't really care for it.

I just called Colt, as they opened for the day. . . . .no waiting is good! The rep I talked to said there is no muzzle brake on the MT6400. I don't know if they stopped putting them on or what the deal is. All I can say is what he told me. I'd rather not have a muzzle brake. He said the MT6400 has the same internal components as the LE6920 except it doesn't have any muzzle device, no bayonet lug and the stock is pinned. He said it has a M16 BCG. I didn't ask whether it has a semi-auto or full auto BCG. I think being that it has a M16 BCG it would be a full auto BCG. I don't know though.

Thanks for your reply, NYH1.

Airhasz
12-06-12, 12:08
You are correct on the M16 BCG being FA.

NYH1
12-06-12, 13:10
Airhasz, thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

NYH1.

warner41
12-06-12, 20:04
Here is a webiste you should frequent if you live in NY and are into firearms of any kind. www.nyfirearms.com

Here is a good thread: http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/3295-new-york-state-assault-weapon-ban-faq-part-1-rifles.html

duece71
12-06-12, 21:14
duece71, my Stag Model 1 has a muzzle brake. I don't really care for it.

I just called Colt, as they opened for the day. . . . .no waiting is good! The rep I talked to said there is no muzzle brake on the MT6400. I don't know if they stopped putting them on or what the deal is. All I can say is what he told me. I'd rather not have a muzzle brake. He said the MT6400 has the same internal components as the LE6920 except it doesn't have any muzzle device, no bayonet lug and the stock is pinned. He said it has a M16 BCG. I didn't ask whether it has a semi-auto or full auto BCG. I think being that it has a M16 BCG it would be a full auto BCG. I don't know though.

If it has the M16 BCG then there will not be a sear block on the gun. My MT6400 did not have the sear block and has the pinned stock swapped out for the collapsable version. No idea why the half moon BCG, I bought it back in late 04 early 05 so it was probably a post ban relic. Sounds like you will be GTG. Enjoy.

NYH1
12-21-12, 19:38
I'm just curious, a search really didn't tell me what I'm looking for. I want to put a free float quad rail on my carbine(s). Is there much of a difference in quality, durability, reliability between Midwest Industries, Troy Industries, Samson or Yankee Hill Machine free float quad rails? I've looked at rails from all four companies. They all have a rail or two I could use on my carbine(s).

I like Yankee Hill Machine's Customizable Free Float Rail. It's round (not that that's a requirement) and I can set it up the way I like with the long 7" piece of picatinny rail on the bottom for my Troy VFG and a short 3" piece of picatinny rail around the 3 o'clock position for a light. The rest of it would be clean with nothing on it. Is it a good rail? How are the others?

Thanks, NYH1.

johnnywitt
12-21-12, 20:02
I going to buy a new Colt AR15 Carbine. I'll have to make it "post-ban" compliant. I'm considering the LE6920 and AR6720 Lightweight Carbine. I'm really leaning towards the AR6720, I like it because of it's lightweight. I'll put my Aimpoint PRO on it. I'll probably get the lightest "top tier" drop-in quad rail for it to mount a compact light and maybe a lightweight front grip. Or I may even go with the Magpul MOE hand guard. I have a Stag M1 w/Plus Package (which I really like and I'm going to keep) that is setup pretty much like the LE6920, Gov. barrel profile ect.

I was wondering what people that have or have used both carbines think of them. Does the lightweight of the AR6720 have any negative effects? Does the added weight of the LE6920 have any benefits over the lightweight model? If so, what are the effects of each? I'm looking for the pro's and con's of each carbine by people that have hands on experience with them both, or even other carbine that are similar.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help, NYH1.

Why folks get a 6720 and then load it down with rails and a bunch of crap is beyond me. Just get a Micro Red Dot and an X300 mounted on one of these:
http://mossietactics.com/Support.html
Thats all you need.
Btw, a 6920 barrel is no more accurate than the pencil in my experience. Yes a pencil will open up groups with heat quicker, but it will cool down quicker too IMO.
As far as accuracy, the 6920 barrel with the cuts really doesn't help accuracy and brings it down below what a cold bore pencil will do also my opinion. Lightweight and simple works real good for a CQB <100m AR platform.
Otherwise just get a damn SOCOM Colt Barrel, Full Rails with full mall ninja junk and a heavy 1X6 optic and don't forget a friggen heavy ass SOPMOD Stock and just forget all about the whole lightweight thing.
Actually, I have 4 M4's configured each way because they both serve a purpose, but I like my two bone stock 6720's the best and so does the spousal unit.

NYH1
12-21-12, 23:46
johnnywitt, sorry. As I posted above, I'm getting a new Colt MT6400 Carbine. My dealer ordered it for me two weeks ago. It's the "post-ban" compliant version of the Colt LE6920 Carbine.

I wanted to get the AR6720 Lightweight. However, here in the great state of New Yorkistan (that really is a joke!), we can't buy new AR15 style rifles/carbines with Colt AR15 roll marks on them. We have to get them without those roll marks as well as no working collapsible stock (has to be pinned), no bayonet lugs and no flash hiders.

I also like the LE6920 Carbine so I figured it's a lot easier to get a "post-ban" compliant carbine from the get go. Hopefully it's here soon. They said they shipped it out.

I also have a Stag Model 1 Carbine w/Plus Package. I'm giving it to my son. He's still pretty young, but I'm going to set it up the way he wants it. He likes quad rails and the A4 carry handle on it. Just getting info on quad rails so when I'm ready to get them I'll know which ones are good and which ones aren't in that price range. I didn't want to start a new thread so I asked here on my current one.

NYH1
12-21-12, 23:51
Thanks for the link. I'll have to think about that setup.

NYH1.

NYH1
12-21-12, 23:53
warner41, thanks for the info. I also belong to that site as well.

NYH1.

rickyc
12-23-12, 17:38
I've been reading stuff about ARs for days. I wanted an M-4 type SHTF walk-around carbine. Finally decided a 6920 was the ticket. Then I read the 6720 was better. I then found out about the BCM and LMT. Out of all the choices, only 2 have removable handles/sights. Most have flip-up rear and fixed or flip-up front.

What happened? Has everyone gone to optics? If you mount an optic, wouldn't the fixed front post be in the way? Are the flip-up rears better than a removable handle sight? A couple don't even have rear sights. If I got one with both flip-ups, could I still add a handle/sight and it would work with the front one?

I'v never used an optic I think I read that there are 1 power sights for pistols that give a quick sight picture. It seems that these ARs are being set up for long range hunting or paper cutting, not combat or
carrying or protection.

For those who prefer the 6720 over the 6920, how do you set it up for daily use?

This all assumes I can still get any of them:-)) Merry Christmas & Semper Fi!

NYH1
12-23-12, 20:14
I've been reading stuff about ARs for days. I wanted an M-4 type SHTF walk-around carbine. Finally decided a 6920 was the ticket. Then I read the 6720 was better. I then found out about the BCM and LMT. Out of all the choices, only 2 have removable handles/sights. Most have flip-up rear and fixed or flip-up front.I wouldn't say the 6720 is better then the 6920. The 6720 is lighter then the 6920. That's about it as far as I recall.

What happened? Has everyone gone to optics? If you mount an optic, wouldn't the fixed front post be in the way? Are the flip-up rears better than a removable handle sight? A couple don't even have rear sights. If I got one with both flip-ups, could I still add a handle/sight and it would work with the front one?A lot of us use optics. The fixed sights can either be in the same position as the dot in the optic. Or the the fixed sights can be in the lower 1/3 of the optic. It depends on how it is set up. I use a fixed iron sights. Both my front and rear sights are in the lower 1/3 of my Aimpoint PRO Optic.

I'v never used an optic I think I read that there are 1 power sights for pistols that give a quick sight picture. It seems that these ARs are being set up for long range hunting or paper cutting, not combat or
carrying or protection.AR's can be setup a million different ways. It depends what they're going to be used for. A lot of optics have no magnification which is good for close engagements

For those who prefer the 6720 over the 6920, how do you set it up for daily use?Can't answer that.

This all assumes I can still get any of them:-)) Merry Christmas & Semper Fi!That might be a problem right now.

Good luck, NYH1.

HardToHandle
12-23-12, 23:35
For those who prefer the 6720 over the 6920, how do you set it up for daily use?

To answer the question and provide some comparison, read away. I'll choose the 6720 anyday because if does the same mission as well as a heavier rifle.

6720 - Aimpoint Micro red dot optic, Magpul CTR stock, Magpul MOE handguards and a 2x CR123 flashlight

6940 - Eotech holographic + 3x magnifer, Magpul CTR stock and a 2x CR123 flashlight

NYH1
12-25-12, 23:00
My wife and my FFL played a good game on me. My new Colt MT6400 was never out of stock or on any kind of backorder. My wife called him and told him to tell me that. She went and picked it up Dec. 6th. It's been right here in front of me in a big box that she said was for our daughter.

I was sitting at the table this morning while the kids were opening their gifts from Santa. My wife hands me a package. I opened it. It was a very nice picture of her in a seductive Santa Suite, that her friend took of her holding my new Colt. . . . .she looked hot as he!! in it. Anyway's, it's in the safe ready for me to configure it how I want it, i.e. Aimpoint PRO, quad rail, VFG, single point sling mount & sling, mount for light and light. I final own a Colt AR15. :happy:

Maybe I'll be lucky and a new Colt 1911 (01980XSE) will be here for Christmas next year! :dance3:

NYH1!

Airhasz
12-26-12, 13:44
My wife and my FFL played a good game on me. My new Colt MT6400 was never out of stock or on any kind of backorder. My wife called him and told him to tell me that. She went and picked it up Dec. 6th. It's been right here in front of me in a big box that she said was for our daughter.

I was sitting at the table this morning while the kids were opening their gifts from Santa. My wife hands me a package. I opened it. It was a very nice picture of her in a seductive Santa Suite, that her friend took of her holding my new Colt. . . . .she looked hot as he!! in it. Anyway's, it's in the safe ready for me to configure it how I want it, i.e. Aimpoint PRO, quad rail, VFG, single point sling mount & sling, mount for light and light. I final own a Colt AR15. :happy:

Maybe I'll be lucky and a new Colt 1911 (01980XSE) will be here for Christmas next year! :dance3:

NYH1!

Con grads! You sir have an AWESOME WIFE...:p

NYH1
12-26-12, 15:49
Con grads! You sir have an AWESOME WIFE...:p
Thanks, Airhasz. . . . .Yes I do, she's great!

Especially considering that I bought my Stag Model 1 w/Plus Package & Aimpoint PRO (it's going on my Colt), two Glock's a G26 and G34 all new this year.

Maybe I'll be lucky and she'll get me a Colt 1911 45 ACP (01980XSE) next Christmas. . . . .I can hope can't I!

NYH1! :dance3: